AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, peasant said:

Im afraid to transport plague drones and pusgoyles... 

What I did for them, and other big models like my glotkin, blight trees and such is to put magnets underneath the bases and attach them to a cookie tray... and then I bought a plastic case from “The container store” that’s like a big milk crate. They don’t move around in the care cause magnets and the case is easy to carry. 

I needed to maximize the space in he tray, so I bought some threaded bolts and put two through the opening on the side and put washers and nuts to secure it. I got another cookie tray and put that on top like a “second level.” Put my blightkings and poxwalkers marauders on bottom and the tall stuff (glotkin, trees and drones) on top. They exceed the height crate, but that’s fine for me as I’m careful. The crates stack so I can always do another one and put that underneath if I need!

Just sharing my solution.

B443179D-1C58-42A1-96F5-594805BD71DB.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Avvien said:

I know that feeling all too well - It's the exact same for me.

Anyway, since you seem really interested in 1k lists, I'll let you see both of mine:

Harbinger of Decay - 160

Sorcerer - 120

Poxbringer, Herald of Nurgle - 120

Beast of Nurgle - 100

Putrid Blightkings - 160

Putrid Blightkings - 160

Putrid Blightkings - 160

980 / 1000

So I've played a couple games with ^ this list already, and I've found it works really well. 3 units of kings still work reliably within the command ability from the harbinger, as well as his artefact of power (I always go for The Witherstave with him). The sorcerer lets you have a try at hero sniping with the Plague Squall spell, plus the spell from the Poxbringer lets you decide how to cycle your wheel (Usually between 5-6 to get more mortal wounds off for more hero-sniping, plus having your enemy re-roll 6's to wound really cripples some armies).

You also get two unbinds with this list, plus that beast can always run + charge to tie up a unit you don't fancy allowing to advance. He's actually really, really tanky (though not very killy). Another nice thing about having the beast along is that you can use him to secure your backline objective by holding him back some, perhaps letting him grab one objective while your wizards go for whichever backline objective is closest to a terrain feature you like.

That list being 980 instead of bang-on 1000 is also good for earning the extra bonus, or denying your enemy that bonus even if he's 980/990 as well.

On to my second list:

Harbinger of Decay - 160

Sorcerer - 120

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore - 200

Putrid Blightkings - 160

Putrid Blightkings - 160

Putrid Blightkings - 160

960 / 1000

^ This list is similar to the first, except this time you don't bring a beast - sacrificing the ability to easily hold a backline objective, or charging in to tie up an enemy unit. However, the sorcerer lord on manticore brings a unique spell, as well as granting you better saves on one of your units for free. He can also fly, which is essential for when your plague squall and wheel just won't let you snipe properly, and you find you actually need to fly across all those enemy chaff units blocking your path.

This list is also a little cheaper, further enhancing your ability to gain a small bonus, or deny that same bonus to your enemy.

3 units of blightkings covered with harbinger is great! may be I prefer tbe 1st, as I like.a.lot that hero sniping and with a little luck is posible to oneshot some supporting heroes. Beast of nurgle  is a great idea but maybe Nurglings are more resilient , and the can deploy in the enemy zone granting 3 contagion points/ turn

but i really thank u your advices!

22 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

What I did for them, and other big models like my glotkin, blight trees and such is to put magnets underneath the bases and attach them to a cookie tray... and then I bought a plastic case from “The container store” that’s like a big milk crate. They don’t move around in the care cause magnets and the case is easy to carry. 

I needed to maximize the space in he tray, so I bought some threaded bolts and put two through the opening on the side and put washers and nuts to secure it. I got another cookie tray and put that on top like a “second level.” Put my blightkings and poxwalkers marauders on bottom and the tall stuff (glotkin, trees and drones) on top. They exceed the height crate, but that’s fine for me as I’m careful. The crates stack so I can always do another one and put that underneath if I need!

Just sharing my solution.

B443179D-1C58-42A1-96F5-594805BD71DB.jpeg

great and cheap! Tomorrow I ll try to get the box and the cooky tray

thx

5 hours ago, peasant said:

great and cheap! Tomorrow I ll try to get the box and the cooky tray

thx

Links to both: 

https://www.containerstore.com/s/storage/stacking-modular-storage/grey-modular-stackable-crates/12d?productId=11004082&green=644153D6-4308-54B9-910B-7A79453C6FD1

I got the large one..not the small one.

Cookie sheet from target. Although any cookie tray/crate combo will work just make sure it fits well and doesn’t move around to much but these two for perfect with only about 1/2” movement 

https://www.target.com/p/12-x-17-jumbo-cookie-sheet-threshold-153/-/A-16999573

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2018 at 5:39 AM, TheOtherJosh said:

Yep. It does have at least two.. The one with Tzeentch was from DoT. Use the Chaos Spawn Warscroll from GA: Chaos. It doesn’t have a date, and the newer ones don’t either. So it’s a valid replacement.

Warscrolls got updated and the DoT spawn now has a timestamp, on top of being the only Chaos Spawn entry.

I'm not the biggest fan of this either, but no more non-tzeentch spawns in AoS.

9 hours ago, Xasz said:

Warscrolls got updated and the DoT spawn now has a timestamp, on top of being the only Chaos Spawn entry.

I'm not the biggest fan of this either, but no more non-tzeentch spawns in AoS.

And the Wurrog Prophet requires a roll of 44+ to hit ... and Ogors have a range of 20” for melee ... in the new “ legit”version with an update date. B|

Edited by TheOtherJosh

27 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

And the Wurrog Prophet requires a roll of 44+ to hit ... and Ogors have a range of 20” for melee ... in the new “ legit”version with an update date. B|

That's another issue and obvious typos. (which nevertheless sucks)

The matter of the fact is, as long as there is only one Chaos Spawn warscroll with a date, it will be the sole legit scroll and overwrite everything else. (which is just the DoT scroll with the new layout and timestamp)

As a reminder: 

Spoiler

Q: If I have two different warscrolls for the same unit, can I choose which to use, or must I use the most recently published version? Do I have to use any errata that applies to the warscroll?

A: You must use the most recently published warscroll and must use the most recently published errata that you or your opponent have available. Warscrolls with a date of publication are always considered to have been published more recently than a warscroll that doesn’t have one. If you have two warscrolls for a unit and neither has a date of publication, you can choose which warscroll to use.

I know you don't like it and are trying to be sarcastic but it's RAW in this case with no wiggle room. ?

Edited by Xasz

59 minutes ago, Xasz said:

I know you don't like it and are trying to be sarcastic but it's RAW in this case with no wiggle room. ?

Well, at least they “fixed” the Thunderers to the original version instead of that GHB 2017 mess... right ;) ... 

Yeah, the question that I might have is does the “last updated” date in the app classify as a “warscroll with date” or not.

If it does count as “Warscroll with date of publication” I’m sad to see them take the (non-gigantic) Chaos Spawn away from Nurgle.

The Warscroll update “breaks” the Path To Glory roll of 2 on the champions rewards table in the Nurgle Maggotkin Book. And isn’t an optimal solution for the “Mark of the Destroyer” artefact for Blades of Khorne.

I just played in opening weekend 1250 Vanguard round robin using:

GUO - Endless Gift

Chaos Sorcerer Lord

10 PBKs

10 Plaguebearers

3 Drones

Shackles + Cogs

Played Deepkin first - got the drop on the charge with +2 Movement, PBKs buffed with Daemonic Power and a useful tree. PBKs and Drones wrecked face and my opponent conceded after turn 2.

SCE next, much tougher fight - had to go hard after all his heroes, PBKS with Daemonic Power are  resilient and hit really hard, it was  tarpit on tarpit really. Then I buffed the GUO after stacking some extra CPs for 2 extra attacks and some extra spells from the realm and away he went clearing them out. Still went 5 turns and I won by 1 VP.

Lastly Seraphon with Kroak, again another tough fight and his bloody 3 times MW spell thing was awful but the GUO just won't die! Cleared out everything and the PBks settled the score with Kroak!

Result  3 for 3 - As a Khorne and Nurgle player, Nurgle just have everything in spades and make Khorne look like the waterboy!!

Good - Movement with Cogs, Cycle of Contagion and trees is just stupid good! Extra spell from Cogs make the GUO even more useful (!) and stacking CPs can turn him into a combat monster! PBKs - just so good, can't believe we got away with them not getting up-pointed!

OK - Plague Drones in 3's are more easily dealt with and unless you are going to CP them for extra attacks from the GUO, they'tr better targetted at lighter stuff. However in 2k with 6 Drones, a Daemon Prince and stacked CP attacks they'd be absolutely merciless.

Meh -Plaguebearers in 10s don't work, can't hit for sh*t, can take a punch-ish. Grab objectives only.

Never used the shackles but the spell list wa huge as we played using the Realm rules.

Magic is definitely Might

Stacked CPs are truly horrendous.

There's a monstrous list out there with Archaon, The Glottkin and GUO and multiple CPs causing some truly world ending damage...

Edited by fredster4050
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, fredster4050 said:

I just played in opening weekend 1250 Vanguard round robin using:

GUO - Endless Gift

Chaos Sorcerer Lord

10 PBKs

10 Plaguebearers

3 Drones

Shackles + Cogs

Played Deepkin first - got the drop on the charge with +2 Movement, PBKs buffed with Daemonic Power and a useful tree. PBKs and Drones wrecked face and my opponent conceded after turn 2.

SCE next, much tougher fight - had to go hard after all his heroes, PBKS with Daemonic Power are  resilient and hit really hard, it was  tarpit on tarpit really. Then I buffed the GUO after stacking some extra CPs for 2 extra attacks and some extra spells from the realm and away he went clearing them out. Still went 5 turns and I won by 1 VP.

Lastly Seraphon with Kroak, again another tough fight and his bloody 3 times MW spell thing was awful but the GUO just won't die! Cleared out everything and the PBks settled the score with Kroak!

Result  3 for 3 - As a Khorne and Nurgle player, Nurgle just have everything in spades and make Khorne look like the waterboy!!

Good - Movement with Cogs, Cycle of Contagion and trees is just stupid good! Extra spell from Cogs make the GUO even more useful (!) and stacking CPs can turn him into a combat monster! PBKs - just so good, can't believe we got away with them not getting up-pointed!

OK - Plague Drones in 3's are more easily dealt with and unless you are going to CP them for extra attacks from the GUO, they'tr better targetted at lighter stuff. However in 2k with 6 Drones, a Daemon Prince and stacked CP attacks they'd be absolutely merciless.

Meh -Plaguebearers in 10s don't work, can't hit for sh*t, can take a punch-ish. Grab objectives only.

Never used the shackles but the spell list wa huge as we played using the Realm rules.

Magic is definitely Might

Stacked CPs are truly horrendous.

There's a monstrous list out there with Archaon, The Glottkin and GUO and multiple CPs causing some truly world ending damage...

how was your GUO armed?

congratulations! But with things like that i foresee a huge points increment hehe

I won a GW gift-voucher at a tournament the other day, and I need some advice on what to spend it on!

Currently torn between a box of Pusgoyles, and another SC! box.

Pusgoyles I could use as either a pair of regular ones, or as two individual Lords of Affliction - Both options seem interesting!

The SC! box would be so that I can finally have 30 Plaguebearers (I only have 20 right now) - The extra stuff would at least be 40k compatible, and maybe I could actually paint a set of decent-looking drones for once.

18 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Well, at least they “fixed” the Thunderers to the original version instead of that GHB 2017 mess... right ;) ... 

Yeah, the question that I might have is does the “last updated” date in the app classify as a “warscroll with date” or not.

If it does count as “Warscroll with date of publication” I’m sad to see them take the (non-gigantic) Chaos Spawn away from Nurgle.

There's issues with some of the Warscrolls in the App and GW are fixing them as fast as they can. If you spot any, email gwapps@gwplc.com ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredster4050 said:

With Blade and Flail

Points increment?

So I always run mine bell+blade because I just think of GUO as an excellent support+spellecaster character. Do you find you're doing much damage (or at least, enough damage) with him armed with the most offensive stuff? I just feel like although the sword is strong, the to hit/wound means you're getting perhaps 1 hit a turn which doesn't seem worth it to me. 

3 minutes ago, NurgleBro said:

How good is Festus? I buying models right now and I need something to go with Gutrot.

Great spell and he's only 20 points more than the rotbringers wizard. I think he's worth it for the extra abilities he brings and that spell.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, peasant said:

my nurglesque bases, may be are too barren of life for a god of lushing life like our patron, what do you think? any ideas?

IMG_20180629_215801.jpg

If you don't hate static grass I would put some on the dirt parts.

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

There's issues with some of the Warscrolls in the App and GW are fixing them as fast as they can. If you spot any, email gwapps@gwplc.com ;) 

The gwapps@gwplc.com address is failing wih an invalid email address?

Is it gwapp@gwplc.com instead? (Nope ... that fails too...)

Edited by TheOtherJosh

3 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Great spell and he's only 20 points more than the rotbringers wizard. I think he's worth it for the extra abilities he brings and that spell.

yeah! he also has +1 attacks and thanks to your comment that his ability does.t requiere the.nurgle keyword!