AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

48 minutes ago, Percivael said:

What do you think of this list? A bit bonkers yes,  but the plan is simple - flood the table with rend 1 Kings and invite the opponent to chew through that. No wizards because I think they are a waste of time, they hardly ever cast, and anyway - more kings. Also Morbidex Twiceborn because I needed a cheap centrepiece for painting noms and I’ve just finished painting him. Just the little matter of 20 more Blightkings to paint before my next tournament in July...hmmm

39E804DE-4E0D-4F69-B170-9BAEE1F9BE72.jpeg.888472038ef4d36198b23506830b2937.jpegI would play  the second battalion too for 40 more points. It give you a mystic shield and another CP + Artefact for...40 pts 

Edited by hurben

14 minutes ago, hurben said:

hmmm

39E804DE-4E0D-4F69-B170-9BAEE1F9BE72.jpeg.888472038ef4d36198b23506830b2937.jpegI would play  the second battalion too for 40 more points. It give you a mystic shield and another CP + Artefact for...40 pts 

I think you’re referring to the Plague Cyst and Blessed Sons Battalion combo. This is a Blight Cyst which is more competitive, but cannot be combined with Blessed Sons Battalion, well not unless you have 3 Battalions and spend over 3000 points.

22 minutes ago, Percivael said:

I think you’re referring to the Plague Cyst and Blessed Sons Battalion combo. This is a Blight Cyst which is more competitive, but cannot be combined with Blessed Sons Battalion, well not unless you have 3 Battalions and spend over 3000 points.

You can play 3 battalion with min requirements. Plague cyst, blight cyst and blessed sons but I don't think it is more competetive than your list (but 1 drop :D). 

One point I would consider changing in your list is swapping morbidex with a LoA. he is more mobile can carry the witherstave very well and the most important his RR 1s to hit for rotbringer is crucial for your list. 

You have 40 points left with this change maybe additional reducing one 20 block to 15 BKs and adding for the 140 points a Gutrod Spume... But not sure about this change. You losing 5 blightkings and increasing your drops by 1 for adding gutrot and a weak deepstrike option. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zplash said:

You can play 3 battalion with min requirements. Plague cyst, blight cyst and blessed sons but I don't think it is more competetive than your list (but 1 drop :D). 

One point I would consider changing in your list is swapping morbidex with a LoA. he is more mobile can carry the witherstave very well and the most important his RR 1s to hit for rotbringer is crucial for your list. 

You have 40 points left with this change maybe additional reducing one 20 block to 15 BKs and adding for the 140 points a Gutrod Spume... But not sure about this change. You losing 5 blightkings and increasing your drops by 1 for adding gutrot and a weak deepstrike option. 

I think Lord of Afflictions is a really good suggestion. He’s better in the list than Morbidex in every way. Unfortunately he’s just not as visually impressive as a Maggoth Lord.  My hands are tied by trying to compete for painting prizes to some extent. Most prize winning armies have at least one visual centrepiece of some sort and this is usually a large monster.

22 hours ago, Percivael said:

I think Lord of Afflictions is a really good suggestion. He’s better in the list than Morbidex in every way. Unfortunately he’s just not as visually impressive as a Maggoth Lord.  My hands are tied by trying to compete for painting prizes to some extent. Most prize winning armies have at least one visual centrepiece of some sort and this is usually a large monster.

Hm yeah that's for sure. Maybe a kind of more eye catching conversion would help. But with the standard models I totally agree. The army is lagging a kind of visual center piece. 

Hm what about bloab? He is way more interesting in your army than morbidex. He's a caster, so chance to turning the wheel or cast blades or whatever and his own signituare spell is quite good with blessed sons: in every phase the target gets any dmg, he additional gets D3... With the ability to make a MW if a BK dies you can hit the enemy with this spell in quite a lot of phases: 

Your hero phase (tree, ability of blightkings, LoA), your shooting phase with LoB, Bloab and BKs within 3 of LoB, of course your combat phase and last but not least in enemy combat phase if they kill a Blightking within 3 due to blessed sons ability on 2+ 😅 could stag pretty good in the right situation..

Edited by Zplash
Blessed son ability only triggers in combat phase not any phase
  • Like 1

So, I'm still having fun with my Pestilent Throng. In fact, I recently updated the list to benefit from the Droning Guard...

I dropped my two Ghorgons and Great Bray-Shaman that I used previously in this list, to instead utilize a six-model unit of Plague Drones. In doing so, I gained a more dependable hammer, one that is also more resistant to counterattack. I now have three elite units that are capable of charging on the first turn. The Droning Guard's command trait is helpful for my playstyle, and the subfaction's artefact lends my Doombull greater survivability.

I still benefit from my run and charge Warherd (thank you, Feculent Gnarlmaw!), as well as Centigor buffed by Blades of Putrefaction.

Please let me know what you think of the list. Narrative-wise, I imagine this Pestilent Throng surges out from the fever swamps of the Realm of Fire, gone rabid in the wake of the Droning Guard. I look forward to your feedback!

2000pt PESTILENT THRONG LIST

Allegiance: Nurgle
- Host of Chaos: Droning Guard
- Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Command Trait : Rotwing Commander
- Plague Flail & Doomsday Bell
- Artefact : Thermalrider Cloak
- Lore of Virulence : Glorious Afflictions

Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Malignance : Blades of Putrefaction

Doombull (100)
- Artefact: Cloak of Flies

6 x Plague Drones (400)

6 x Bullgors (280)
- Great Axes

20 x Centigors (320)

10 x Gors (70)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields

10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

Pestilent Throng (200)

Extra Command Point (50)

Guys, I'm looking for some good unit of shooting for my Nurgle army. I'll play tallyband with a least 2x30 plaguebearers and I'de like to have the possibility to snipe some leaders or units.

The best choice to my mind would be 2 units of Ratling Guns.
What do you guys think ?

Edited by hurben

Here’s some photos of my Maggoth Lord I mentioned earlier. Its my version of Morbidex Twiceborn, but I suppose that as it’s a guy with a scythe it could double as Bloab if I add some flys and bells. It was great fun to paint and makes a decent centrepiece for a Blightking army.

FC5CD2A4-D59E-4780-B97A-BF55A42C3FCE.jpeg

ED46CD97-9501-4B5F-A2CD-2972054C0558.jpeg

471CA4D0-8F23-4567-B965-F678DDB69667.jpeg

953C74F3-2AEB-405F-B487-785F47369837.jpeg

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 5

On 4/18/2020 at 1:27 PM, Percivael said:

Here’s some photos of my Maggoth Lord I mentioned earlier. Its my version of Morbidex Twiceborn, but I suppose that as it’s a guy with a scythe it could double as Bloab if I add some flys and bells. It was great fun to paint and makes a decent centrepiece for a Blightking army.

FC5CD2A4-D59E-4780-B97A-BF55A42C3FCE.jpeg

ED46CD97-9501-4B5F-A2CD-2972054C0558.jpeg

471CA4D0-8F23-4567-B965-F678DDB69667.jpeg

953C74F3-2AEB-405F-B487-785F47369837.jpeg

Excellent work. Well done. I especialy like the tongue-conversion as well as the eyes spread all over the model. Nice ideas of which I will copy at least the tongue-conversion.

Though some critics: the horns are not painted in the same quality as the skin, they look rather blotchy.

Overall an impressive model!

I painted two of them the last weeks to use in 30k Daemon armies.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 10:41 AM, Percivael said:

What do you think of this list? A bit bonkers yes,  but the plan is simple - flood the table with rend 1 Kings and invite the opponent to chew through that. No wizards because I think they are a waste of time, they hardly ever cast, and anyway - more kings. Also Morbidex Twiceborn because I needed a cheap centrepiece for painting noms and I’ve just finished painting him. Just the little matter of 20 more Blightkings to paint before my next tournament in July...hmmm

39E804DE-4E0D-4F69-B170-9BAEE1F9BE72.jpeg.888472038ef4d36198b23506830b2937.jpeg

This list is really tempting. Changing morbidex vs LoA or a good caster and it's nice and clean. 

Over 200 life to chew through and with 20er blocks its easier to keep them within 7 of Harbinger. And what can kill 81 wounds save 4 up and 5 up fnp? 

With only 20 models even the horde clearing spells and abilities won't hurt too much. 

I think it will only struggle on scenarios with many objectives and heavy debuff/control armies. 

But man 45 Blightkings... Very expensive and a lot to paint... 

On the other hand the army will look very cool though :D

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zplash said:

This list is really tempting. Changing morbidex vs LoA or a good caster and it's nice and clean. 

Over 200 life to chew through and with 20er blocks its easier to keep them within 7 of Harbinger. And what can kill 81 wounds save 4 up and 5 up fnp? 

With only 20 models even the horde clearing spells and abilities won't hurt too much. 

I think it will only struggle on scenarios with many objectives and heavy debuff/control armies. 

But man 45 Blightkings... Very expensive and a lot to paint... 

On the other hand the army will look very cool though :D

Yeah! I know death star units have fallen out if favour recently, but I do believe that large units of Blightkings are looking pretty tasty in the current meta. Like you say, larger units mean more immovable Kings getting buffed. 

As for painting I have 25 done with another 5 on the way. It is a lot to paint though, so I don’t know if this list will ever see the light of day! I’ve got a version of this list with 30 total Kings and Rotigus which will have to do if that’s all I have by the time of my next tournament in July.

On 4/16/2020 at 10:41 AM, Percivael said:

39E804DE-4E0D-4F69-B170-9BAEE1F9BE72.jpeg.888472038ef4d36198b23506830b2937.jpeg

To be honest, I lost every single game with my blightking heavy lists (less than 2k points though) due to low model count. You´ve got 3 units, highly priced, rather low model count, slow as hell.

In addition, your weapons are only 1" reach meaning you won´t be able to get all your fighters in range to strike at your opponent.

I highly recommend the use of something fast like the Lord of Affliction that was named by a few posters above.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hannibal said:

To be honest, I lost every single game with my blightking heavy lists (less than 2k points though) due to low model count. You´ve got 3 units, highly priced, rather low model count, slow as hell.

In addition, your weapons are only 1" reach meaning you won´t be able to get all your fighters in range to strike at your opponent.

I highly recommend the use of something fast like the Lord of Affliction that was named by a few posters above.

Its true I find better go for a spam of msu units of kings. And even then...

1 minute ago, peasant said:

Its true I find better go for a spam of msu units of kings. And even then...

I have to agree. In addition the Harbinger of Decay is overrated IMO. You won´t be able to screen all the dudes in your army and even if you go for Harbinger on one block and Lord of Blights command on the other, you´ll need 2 cp then which you won´t have access to.

10 Chaos warhounds is 80 points, meaning you can have 2x 10 Chaos Warhounds for the loss of 5 Blightkings. THese 20 warhounds (I´d run them in 2 units of 10) are able to screen the entire board due to their large bases, auto run 6", have great movement. IMO they are one of the best allies you can get. I highly recommend them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Yeah I tend to lose every game anyway! Maybe this way I’ll have some miniatures left on the table by turn 4! But yeah You’re right.

14 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Hm dont think you need a screen. You will take turn 1 and run on objectives with harbinger command. LoB command I would only use if a Blightking blob is in combat with a big shooting unit. Otherwise it's not worth the CP. 

The chaos warhounds are a good call but really, do I care if the enemy is charging 81 wounds 4up and 5 fnp? 

Still the model count and if a good mobile player is tagging your 20 blocks somewhere it's hard for you. This is why you always want to take first turn and run them 4+6+1 on objectives. 

23 minutes ago, Zplash said:

Hm dont think you need a screen. You will take turn 1 and run on objectives with harbinger command. LoB command I would only use if a Blightking blob is in combat with a big shooting unit. Otherwise it's not worth the CP. 

The chaos warhounds are a good call but really, do I care if the enemy is charging 81 wounds 4up and 5 fnp? 

Still the model count and if a good mobile player is tagging your 20 blocks somewhere it's hard for you. This is why you always want to take first turn and run them 4+6+1 on objectives. 

You´re right, no doubt. But that is not my preferred playstyle, at least not anymore. I´ve been playing Plaguebearerspam in 40k for 2-3 years now and it is exactly what you describe. But for me it is way too reactive instead of active if you understand.

I like my ONE unit of 30 Plaguebearers in AoS, but I avoid playing the "I stand here waiting for you while being nearly invincable" with all my units.

The tactics you describe mean that you just PLAY the first turn, the rest of the game you do nothing but sitting there and throwing dice. Is it what you would advice to gamers? Is it what forms a real geme? I doubt.

THat´s why I say you need at least something fast to reach out. Heck I´d even run Spume to have something that can surprise your opponent or that allows for some backline pressure. But then you loose your one-drop making your tactics a gamble.

Overall I´m not sold on it.

Edited by Hannibal

19 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

You´re right, no doubt. But that is not my preferred playstyle, at least not anymore. I´ve been playing Plaguebearerspam in 40k for 2-3 years now and it is exactly what you describe. But for me it is way too reactive instead of active if you understand.

I like my ONE unit of 30 Plaguebearers in AoS, but I avoid playing the "I stand here waiting for you while being nearly invincable" with all my units.

The tactics you describe mean that you just PLAY the first turn, the rest of the game you do nothing but sitting there and throwing dice. Is it what you would advice to gamers? Is it what forms a real geme? I doubt.

THat´s why I say you need at least something fast to reach out. Heck I´d even run Spume to have something that can surprise your opponent or that allows for some backline pressure. But then you loose your one-drop making your tactics a gamble.

Overall I´m not sold on it.

Agree about the playstyle it's kind of a mortal tallyband... You do a little more dmg but not too much. It's  just about holding objectives and I totally understand if somebody says this is not his playstyle and tbh it is way more boring than participating in the whole game with spells, move shananigans and great combat option. 

But without mixing too much std and pestilence in I don't see a chance to do so on a competetive side as nurgle :)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zplash said:

But without mixing too much std and pestilence in I don't see a chance to do so on a competetive side as nurgle :)

That´s why I´m really dissapointed by Nurgle right now and therefore I started to run a mixed Nurgle Tzeentch Ascendent Daemons list. It combines good ressilience, good damage output and nice looking models. The allegiance abilities are somewhat limited but overall it is way more intresting to play than pure Nurgle.

• LOVE IT! 1