AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 minute ago, Blisterfeet said:

I think dependant on pilot you can do well with Thrice Befoulment as shown from a tournament result just prior to lockdown (attached) and by the dude in here who plays in the states and posts decent results.

I also think Chaos Ascendant is a good choice for Daemon centric lists as mentioned above. 

Even an 'S Tier' list requires a decent pilot to win anything. I've seen Changehost players finish 1-4 in Feb this year over 2 days because in the end they got beat by better players, playing 'worse lists'.

Screenshot_20200406-132437_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20200406-132443_Twitter.jpg

Man, saw that list, and I'm half-tempted to run it. It looks fun but, at the same time, like you'll live or die by spells and MWs, nothing else.

2 minutes ago, Gistradagis said:

Man, saw that list, and I'm half-tempted to run it. It looks fun but, at the same time, like you'll live or die by spells and MWs, nothing else.

Yeah personally I run a different list that fits my play style. I see the appeal of this I'm just more of a fan of Blight Cyst and mortals

21 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Well, that´s kind of the classic list. There is also the possibility to run

Thricefold Befoulment

30; 10; 10 Plaguebearers

Spellportal

and use that remaining 290 points for something different, ie a unit of Plague Drones (200) or some Plague Monks (a block of 30 will cost you 240 points) or something different.

Although it seems to be the most competetive Nurgle Daemon build it is far from being a tournament winning list. Therefore you can run whatever you like and try to get the best results out of it.

I´m not sure that Spellportal is still a good idea because there are many lists out there that gain bonuses on dispeling or auto dispel your Spellportal.

This is an interesting idea, do Plague Monks work well outside of the Skaven Battletome without support etc? Thanks 

1 hour ago, Garth1 said:

This is an interesting idea, do Plague Monks work well outside of the Skaven Battletome without support etc? Thanks 

I haven´t done the math, I think they compete with Marauders when it comes down to the unit with the best damage to cost ratio in Nurgle.

Though in almost all of my games I wished I had something that is able to threaten enemy support charakters. Either something fast with good melee capabilities or some shooting / reliable ranged damage.

11 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

I haven´t done the math, I think they compete with Marauders when it comes down to the unit with the best damage to cost ratio in Nurgle.

Though in almost all of my games I wished I had something that is able to threaten enemy support charakters. Either something fast with good melee capabilities or some shooting / reliable ranged damage.

What type of unit/s would be able to offer that which could be used in a Nurgle army?

32 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

shooting in Nurgle ? 🤔

3 hours ago, Hannibal said:

You can sort of make it work with the Glottkin and a Priest on Plague Furnace. You give them +1 attacks command, then the prayer for +1 attacks or re-roll wounds, then charging for +1 attacks yet again, so you go up to 5 attacks for each model, using the weapon profile for 2" reach to fight at like 3 rows, doing mortal wounds on 6+ hitting (blades of putrefaction) and 6 on wounds (the plague monks themselves). You can easily go over 100 wounds with a unit of 40 plague monks, practically obliterating all you found in a combination of MWs and stray shots.

This is way better than the straight bomb of Marauders, but the difference is Marauders will "always" make their charge and actually have some rend (in a well-sized unit).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gistradagis said:

You can sort of make it work with the Glottkin and a Priest on Plague Furnace. You give them +1 attacks command, then the prayer for +1 attacks or re-roll wounds, then charging for +1 attacks yet again, so you go up to 5 attacks for each model, using the weapon profile for 2" reach to fight at like 3 rows, doing mortal wounds on 6+ hitting (blades of putrefaction) and 6 on wounds (the plague monks themselves). You can easily go over 100 wounds with a unit of 40 plague monks, practically obliterating all you found in a combination of MWs and stray shots.

That´s 900 points, 1 cp, 1 succesful prayer, 1 succesful cast.

8 hours ago, Gistradagis said:

This is way better than the straight bomb of Marauders, but the difference is Marauders will "always" make their charge and actually have some rend (in a well-sized unit).

For the same 900 points you will get 3x 40 Maurauders which do their thing without support.

13 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

That´s 900 points, 1 cp, 1 succesful prayer, 1 succesful cast.

For the same 900 points you will get 3x 40 Maurauders which do their thing without support.

If you take into account the full points of all, then you need to add the damage a Glottkin and Plague Priest on Censer will do, plus the magic and especial affects. Meaning, they'll do a lot more damage than Marauders. If, by some miracle, you have enough space to utilize the classic double line of Marauders with all three units, you'll get like 60-80 attacks, damaging on 3+, 4+, rend 1, damage 1, no especial effects or Mortal Wounds whatsoever.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gistradagis said:

If you take into account the full points of all, then you need to add the damage a Glottkin and Plague Priest on Censer will do, plus the magic and especial affects. Meaning, they'll do a lot more damage than Marauders. If, by some miracle, you have enough space to utilize the classic double line of Marauders with all three units, you'll get like 60-80 attacks, damaging on 3+, 4+, rend 1, damage 1, no especial effects or Mortal Wounds whatsoever.

You´re absolutely right. I posted from an ease of use point of view. The 900 points mentioned by you is something that is way cooler looking on the battlefield, though.

But to be honest, I do not count Gkottkin to be of much help in the damge department (relative to points though).

38 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

You´re absolutely right. I posted from an ease of use point of view. The 900 points mentioned by you is something that is way cooler looking on the battlefield, though.

But to be honest, I do not count Gkottkin to be of much help in the damge department (relative to points though).

Fair enough. I mostly used it in a somewhat-fluff list combining Nurgle and Pestilents, and I just really like the Glottkin, despite how horribly priced it is. I'd say that its damage problem is one mostly shared by the Nurgle units in general, their age truly shows. Most units doing stuff on 3+/4+, usually with low attacks and low/no rend.

• Like 1

Speaking of Nurgle Pestilens...

Gonna pull this out for a match vs. the ball and chain, it’s a bit janky but VC with a 4+/4+/5+ and Plague Monks that can run and charge for an extra attack and reroll hits and wounds, do mortals on 6s to hit and are also -2 to be shot and -1 to be hit in combat is too good to ignore.

This is using the models I have and won’t be getting more anytime soon (because, the world), so was just wondering if anyone had advice on Artefacts and whether the PBKs should be 10/5/5 or 5/5/5/5? Ta!!

Allegiance: Nurgle
- Host of Chaos: Blessed Sons
Verminlord Corruptor (280)
- General
- Command Trait: Foul Conqueror  
- Artefact: Blotshell Bileplate  
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact: The Splithorn Helm  
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
- 4x Standard Bearers
- 4x Plague Harbingers
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
Blight Cyst (140)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 178

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Speaking of Nurgle Pestilens...

Gonna pull this out for a match vs. the ball and chain, it’s a bit janky but VC with a 4+/4+/5+ and Plague Monks that can run and charge for an extra attack and reroll hits and wounds, do mortals on 6s to hit and are also -2 to be shot and -1 to be hit in combat is too good to ignore.

This is using the models I have and won’t be getting more anytime soon (because, the world), so was just wondering if anyone had advice on Artefacts and whether the PBKs should be 10/5/5 or 5/5/5/5? Ta!!

Verminlord Corruptor (280)
- General
- Command Trait: Foul Conqueror  
- Artefact: Blotshell Bileplate  
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact: The Splithorn Helm  
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
- 4x Standard Bearers
- 4x Plague Harbingers
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Plague Harbingers
Blight Cyst (140)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 178

I've been playing around with something similar and with 5 reps since quarantine here are some things I have found Vs alot of current meta lists (Seraphon all sorts, Cities shooting, Tzeentch). 

Your Blightkings really do want an additional save I feel. I invest equally heavy in Blightkings and I have now decided a harbinger is a must. 

Plague monks work a treat I have decided for a smaller unit because of getting the space in most games to get all in just hasn't happened for me. 

Anyways let's us know how it goes and what you find. The more feedback we give the better the lists can be tuned I feel. I've put mine below in the spoiler for reference. 

Spoiler

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- Artefact: Rustfang
Lord of Blights (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Foul Conqueror
- Artefact: Blotshell Bileplate
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Units
30 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Standard Bearers
- 1x Plague Harbingers

Battalions
Blight Cyst (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 155

Admittedly you can go GUO instead of the CP, 10 Monks and Furnace if that is your preference. As I said I am still playtesting varieties. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blisterfeet said:

I've been playing around with something similar and with 5 reps since quarantine here are some things I have found Vs alot of current meta lists (Seraphon all sorts, Cities shooting, Tzeentch). 

Your Blightkings really do want an additional save I feel. I invest equally heavy in Blightkings and I have now decided a harbinger is a must. 

Plague monks work a treat I have decided for a smaller unit because of getting the space in most games to get all in just hasn't happened for me. 

Anyways let's us know how it goes and what you find. The more feedback we give the better the lists can be tuned I feel. I've put mine below in the spoiler for reference. 

Hide contents

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
Lord of Blights (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Foul Conqueror
- Artefact: Blotshell Bileplate
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)

Battleline

Units
30 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Standard Bearers
- 1x Plague Harbingers

Battalions
Blight Cyst (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 155

Admittedly you can go GUO instead of the CP, 10 Monks and Furnace if that is your preference. As I said I am still playtesting varieties. 

Legendary, thanks for this. Will have a look into a Harbinger and see what I can come up with. Do think extra CP is a great shout, there’s a lot of really good CAs in Nurgle but so little regen. I’d like to take the Aetherquartz Brooch but chances of using it in a GT post-quarantine are getting slimmer. 

3 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Legendary, thanks for this. Will have a look into a Harbinger and see what I can come up with. Do think extra CP is a great shout, there’s a lot of really good CAs in Nurgle but so little regen. I’d like to take the Aetherquartz Brooch but chances of using it in a GT post-quarantine are getting slimmer. 

I am practicing without the use of realm artefacts I can see the shift happening and even if they don't then that is a bonus to a list that already functions without it. 

I think you need to give your threats the CA of lord of blights early on and Harbingers. That's 2 CP right there. Then you wanna buff blades when you get into combat.

So in my opinion consistency is more important game to game. It's hard enough with Nurgle without getting those key buffs off. You have to play to your best ability against some of these lists to win. I beat a shooting seraphon list by one point and was basically tabled. For that reason that's why I want 3 turn one. 

Again get a list set, play test it and don't be too quick to make sweeping changes. Good luck dude and have fun!

Hey guys,

I have been playing AOS with my brother in quarantine these past couple weeks. I play a mixed Rotbrinber and Daemon list and he has his Orruk warclans.  He has been trying out the big waaaagh allegiance that I am struggling fight. Do you guys have any good tips or strategies to fight the list. It is primarily Iron Jaws with a bone splitter shaman. I find that his multi damage just burns through my blight kings and leaves me with very little damage out put.

I have the following units in my list :

Using the Munificent Wanderers

Lord of Plagues (muck talon)
Lord of Blights
GUO (endless gift)
Poxbringer

30x plague bearers
3x5 Blightkings (in a blight cyst)
3x Plague Drones
3x Nurglings

1980 pts

I then Have the following remaining units to build and paint - Horticulous, Gutrot Spume, the wormspat.

Hello guys, 

I was trying to make a 1k list of StD, but the truth is, I'm a grandfather' adept. This is my start in AoS, so I want to run a 1k list, and a few are tempting me! Can you help me by telling me which one you prefer? All of them are mortal list (marauders rocks!) 

List 1:

Leaders

Harbinger of Decay (160)

General

- Command Trait: Pestilent Breath

Sorcerer (120)

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)

- Lore of Foulness: Cloying Quagmire

Battleline

40 x Chaos Marauders (300)

- Axes & Shields

Units

6 x Furies (100)

- Allies

Total: 1000 / 1000

Extra Command Points: 1

Allies: 100 / 200

Wounds: 90

The idea here is pretty obvious, buff the big pack a smash opponent's jaw. The furies and the blighkings are here to clean the way for the marauders and catch abandoned objectives. 

Liste 2:

Leaders

Harbinger of Decay (160)

- General

- Command Trait: Pestilent Breath

Gutrot Spume (140)

Sorcerer (120)

Battleline

Units

6 x Furies (100)

Total: 1000 / 1000

Extra Command Points: 0

Allies: 0 / 200

Wounds: 92

The list is way under the damage output of the first list, but it is more mobile, with the tp, and cooler to play imo. 

What do you suggest me to go for? I'm not a tournament player specifically, but I will maybe test it one day! 😛

Edited by TribalFox

41 minutes ago, Lord_Vithiss said:

Hey guys,

I have been playing AOS with my brother in quarantine these past couple weeks. I play a mixed Rotbrinber and Daemon list and he has his Orruk warclans.  He has been trying out the big waaaagh allegiance that I am struggling fight. Do you guys have any good tips or strategies to fight the list. It is primarily Iron Jaws with a bone splitter shaman. I find that his multi damage just burns through my blight kings and leaves me with very little damage out put.

I have the following units in my list :

Using the Munificent Wanderers

Lord of Plagues (muck talon)
Lord of Blights
GUO (endless gift)
Poxbringer

30x plague bearers
3x5 Blightkings (in a blight cyst)
3x Plague Drones
3x Nurglings

1980 pts

I then Have the following remaining units to build and paint - Horticulous, Gutrot Spume, the wormspat.

Well, if those are the units you have, that's what you gotta play with. A couple things I'd recommend are:

• Plaguebearers in a unit of 20 and another of 10. A single of 30 is just unwieldy, and you only need them to screen and absorb charges (with the Munificient Wanderers CP to deal D3 MWs if a demon gets charged).
  • The GuO and Poxbringer should always stay slightly behind the front line, buffing and casting spells. Don't know which ones you are picking, but I'd recommend giving the Favoured Poxes to the Poxbringer (debuff the enemy's key piece and just sit still, close enough to let plaguebearers re-roll saves), and Glorious Afflictions to the GuO.
  • Speaking of the GuO, you want to have a Bileblade and Doomsday Bell, to make your army somewhat faster (get to the objecties you need, then stay put). Then just keep casting your chosen spell and arcane bolt, or mystic shield on some Blightkings.
  • Speaking plain and fair, Plague Drones and Nurglings are terrible. They'll either be a minor nuisance, or just do nothing at all. So... you invest on being a nuisance. Nurglings can "deep-strike"... sort of. You must come out on your first turn, and in cover. Still, that allows you to sit on some objectives, or close to them, for some sneaky points. Conversely, you could make them pop somewhere in the enemy's deployment zone to start getting those 3 Contagion points. The Drones should be around the front lines, ready to intercept smth with their decent movement range or simply limit the space for the enemy to charge you. Something good here is that they are multi-wounds, so you can have them tank with their save and Disgustingly Resilient, then with the GuO cast Plague Wind and heal them while also dishing out some MWs to the Orruks.
  • No idea what's your second artefact, since your list doesn't say, but I'd recomend the Witherstave on the GuO or Poxbringer. Sit behind the frontlines and give all enemy units within 12" a permanent "re-roll hit rolls of 6."
  • Summon as appropriate. Either to reinforce your frontline, or to threaten objectives.

6 hours ago, Gistradagis said:

Well, if those are the units you have, that's what you gotta play with. A couple things I'd recommend are:

• Plaguebearers in a unit of 20 and another of 10. A single of 30 is just unwieldy, and you only need them to screen and absorb charges (with the Munificient Wanderers CP to deal D3 MWs if a demon gets charged).
  • The GuO and Poxbringer should always stay slightly behind the front line, buffing and casting spells. Don't know which ones you are picking, but I'd recommend giving the Favoured Poxes to the Poxbringer (debuff the enemy's key piece and just sit still, close enough to let plaguebearers re-roll saves), and Glorious Afflictions to the GuO.
  • Speaking of the GuO, you want to have a Bileblade and Doomsday Bell, to make your army somewhat faster (get to the objecties you need, then stay put). Then just keep casting your chosen spell and arcane bolt, or mystic shield on some Blightkings.
  • Speaking plain and fair, Plague Drones and Nurglings are terrible. They'll either be a minor nuisance, or just do nothing at all. So... you invest on being a nuisance. Nurglings can "deep-strike"... sort of. You must come out on your first turn, and in cover. Still, that allows you to sit on some objectives, or close to them, for some sneaky points. Conversely, you could make them pop somewhere in the enemy's deployment zone to start getting those 3 Contagion points. The Drones should be around the front lines, ready to intercept smth with their decent movement range or simply limit the space for the enemy to charge you. Something good here is that they are multi-wounds, so you can have them tank with their save and Disgustingly Resilient, then with the GuO cast Plague Wind and heal them while also dishing out some MWs to the Orruks.
  • No idea what's your second artefact, since your list doesn't say, but I'd recomend the Witherstave on the GuO or Poxbringer. Sit behind the frontlines and give all enemy units within 12" a permanent "re-roll hit rolls of 6."
  • Summon as appropriate. Either to reinforce your frontline, or to threaten objectives.

I appreciate the feedback, the 2 artifacts were mucktalon and then endless gift on the great unclean one. If I were to pull out the drones and drop in horticulous would that be a better option?

4 hours ago, Lord_Vithiss said:

I appreciate the feedback, the 2 artifacts were mucktalon and then endless gift on the great unclean one. If I were to pull out the drones and drop in horticulous would that be a better option?

Ah sorry, for some reason I thought the Endless Gift was the Command Trait from the sub-allegiance. Horticulous might not be a great substitute, cuz you already have a bunch of heroes.

Would love to hear you guys about these 2 lists below.
I'll play both but I have a little preference for the Tallyband, but i'll suffer of a lack of damages contrary to the Thricefold list.  I know Nurgle is not here to smash ennemy units in a row of course so i'm not looking for big damages.... and more when i play daemons only ^^

What do you guys think ?

2kNurgle-MunificentW+Thricefold.pdf 2kNurgle-MunificentW+Tallyband.pdf

On 4/12/2020 at 12:31 AM, Gistradagis said:

I would argue against units of 20. Ten are relatively cheap and function as a road block/holding objectives in your own zone - 30 gives you discount. 20 is just expensive and not worth it at all. 

On 4/12/2020 at 8:37 PM, hurben said:

Would love to hear you guys about these 2 lists below.
I'll play both but I have a little preference for the Tallyband, but i'll suffer of a lack of damages contrary to the Thricefold list.  I know Nurgle is not here to smash ennemy units in a row of course so i'm not looking for big damages.... and more when i play daemons only ^^

What do you guys think ?

2kNurgle-MunificentW+Thricefold.pdf 5.73 MB · 5 downloads 2kNurgle-MunificentW+Tallyband.pdf 5.73 MB · 4 downloads

The Tally works better if you concentrate on debuff with a Lord of Blight.

I'm actually 2-1 against tournament list with my version of the Tally.  I've lost against a shooting-oriented  Kharadron due I've lost the first turn (both list are 2 drops) and my oppo bad explanation 'bout his shooting range (5" back, or better save Rolle, and GUO will survive changing the entire match). Against Khorne and Beastclaw the list works exactly how I've planned: they only hits on 5 and 6s and deal more MW on themselfs then wounds on my Plaguebearers.

I will soon try the list against a Petrifex OBR list. If he don't bring Katakros I can manage it. Otherwise his +1 to hit bubble will crush my plans. ^_^

What do you think of this list? A bit bonkers yes,  but the plan is simple - flood the table with rend 1 Kings and invite the opponent to chew through that. No wizards because I think they are a waste of time, they hardly ever cast, and anyway - more kings. Also Morbidex Twiceborn because I needed a cheap centrepiece for painting noms and I’ve just finished painting him. Just the little matter of 20 more Blightkings to paint before my next tournament in July...hmmm

39E804DE-4E0D-4F69-B170-9BAEE1F9BE72.jpeg.888472038ef4d36198b23506830b2937.jpeg

• Like 1