AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

25 minutes ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

Anyone got eyes on the list that came 2nd in Prague? 

I lost against him :) was a awesome match though

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Festus the Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
Lord of Afflictions (200)
- General
- Command Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: Rustfang
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (200)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Units
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
- 02x Standard Bearers
- 02x Plague Harbingers

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 149

• Like 1

I am about to take the following list in a friendly local league.

- Host of Chaos: Blessed Sons
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Chaos Lord (110)
- Daemonbound War-flail
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- Artefact: Blotshell Bileplate
Lord of Blights (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Foul Conqueror
Sorcerer (120)

Battleline
15 x Chaos Warriors (300)
- Hand Weapon & Shield

Units
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Standard Bearers
- 1x Plague Harbingers

Battalions
Blight Cyst (140)

Extra Command Point (50)

Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 152

Now, one of the games is against a heavy alpha strike list of Drakkfoot bonesplitters. So my harbinger is a bit useless in that particular game (great in others and I have to have the same list throughout) so in this particular game he'll be used to screen out my sorcerer capping a point.

The scenario is Places of arcane power and I have been thinking about how to approach beating that army. He has a few spellcasters and a few endless spells (cogs though a bit useless since I outdrop him and can charge him turn 1 but he also has gnashing jaws)

This is the deployment that I'm considering:

image.png.9c17cff8fe841b8e14ed5bb95be52442.png

With this setup my GUO is speed buffing 2 units of blightkings, my plague monks and my warriors (and the chaos lord). I am also in the position to be able to buff the monks with the blight's buff of -1 to hit in combat (they're 20 large). My sorcerer is also in range to cast blades of putrefaction on them or I could cast it on the warriors (who can fight twice thanks to the lord).

The list I am up against includes a 20 strong boarboy with stikkas and an 8 strong stabbas unit. I will most likely charge the stabbas with monks if I get the blades off on them ( and if they're not screened well enough, though I am hoping his pre-game 5" move gets him a bit too bloodthirsty). The right most flank will be capped by the sorcerer and then screened off with warriors and harbinger. The left most flank will be capped by Lord of blight and screened off with layers of blightkings.

There is also the possibility of some good battleshock against him if I manage enough damage with blightking shooting (those that don't run) and melee. He has a CP bought so he'll be able to save either boars or stabbas from running. Not both.

The lists are all ready turned in so all though I would love feedback on it I cannot make alterations at the moment. Would love thoughts on the setup and tactics against a list like his. (list below)

image.png.1d4a12564c6dfd8e7ca5c35f567e015d.png

With regards, 

Thor

• Like 1

A quick question guys. Can a unit of plaguebeaers have models added to it to bring it above it's original unit strength when it rolls a 1 for battle shock? From the wording it seems that they can. I asked at my local store and was told no but when I showed him the wording and we checked the FAQ and design errata we concluded that they could. Just wanted to check if there was anything we are missing. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Boomboombilly said:

A quick question guys. Can a unit of plaguebeaers have models added to it to bring it above it's original unit strength when it rolls a 1 for battle shock? From the wording it seems that they can. I asked at my local store and was told no but when I showed him the wording and we checked the FAQ and design errata we concluded that they could. Just wanted to check if there was anything we are missing. Cheers.

Im no rules guru but i seem to remember seeing this question before and the answer being yes you can because of some faq or rules change that changed it from how you could not previously.

5 hours ago, Boomboombilly said:

You can. I think people wonder because GW changed the wording on the Pink Horrors warscroll, which actually only allows to bring back slain models.

5 hours ago, Crowvus said:

Does anyone here think there will be a nurgle battletome reveal at adepticon??

Yeah i would also doubt it. Considering nurgle got the most new content in the demons everchosen book i feel like thats intended to hold over nurgle players until an updated battletome later down the road. Especially since the new seraphon are right around the corner as well as a new giant army which gw has hinted at pretty strongly.

On 2/23/2020 at 8:44 PM, schwabbele said:

I lost against him :) was a awesome match though

Leaders
Festus the Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
Lord of Afflictions (200)
- General
- Command Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: Rustfang
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)
The Glottkin (420)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (200)

Units
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave
- 02x Standard Bearers
- 02x Plague Harbingers

Extra Command Point (50)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 149

How did he play the list? I usually see more Blightkings than a lonely unit of 5.

1 hour ago, Gistradagis said:

How did he play the list? I usually see more Blightkings than a lonely unit of 5.

@GistradagisThe highest ranked nurgle list at cancon (29/~220) likewise runs only a single unit of PBKs.  I don't know enough to make any further judgements, although it bears mentioning that the army needs to be structured a little oddly due to being a Plaguetouched Warband and thus there is little incentive to field any PBKs.

https://downunderpairings.com/ArmyList.php?ArmyID=15800

Edited by sharang2

11 minutes ago, sharang2 said:

@GistradagisThe highest ranked nurgle list at cancon (29/~220) likewise runs only a single unit of PBKs.  I don't know enough to make any further judgements, although it bears mentioning that the army needs to be structured a little oddly due to being a Plaguetouched Warband and thus there is little incentive to field any PBKs.

https://downunderpairings.com/ArmyList.php?ArmyID=15800

Huh, what an odd list. Haven't played Nurgle in a while, but it feels oddly... brittle? Like contact with the enemy will kill most of those units, but perhaps that's me having lost my touch with Nurgle lists.

34 minutes ago, Gistradagis said:

Huh, what an odd list. Haven't played Nurgle in a while, but it feels oddly... brittle? Like contact with the enemy will kill most of those units, but perhaps that's me having lost my touch with Nurgle lists.

Just for reference, since it seems to have changed at least once: 

http://wahapedia.ru/aos/factions/slaves-to-darkness/Plaguetouched-Warband

I'm a complete noob, so anything I say should be heavily salted.  Anything I understand is literally entirely just from RTM; my knowledge of the rules is very poor and I have no real experience playing this game.  That said, from my very limited understanding of the other lists in the top 32...

Karkadrak lord is insanely tough.  From what @sal4m4nd3r said in an earlier post,  and just the results of the rest of the top 32 at CanCon2020, it looks like you need to be ready to eat ****** sandwiches of a magical nature on the walk over to the opponent.  The top list has Darkfire Daemonrift, casters and Flamers putting out MWs, and in general Tzeentch is still very popular.  Almost everyone has SOME MW output, and the biggest threats have a LOT.  Chaos Runeshield, 3+ save, 12 attacks, and Fueled by Carnage looks (to me) like you get more than 250 points of beef AND a hammer for your anvils for... well, 250 points.

Now, I need to emphasize that I literally don't know how to play this game and I don't know if hero abilities can be used every turn, but if my assumption is correct and you can, the Chaos Sorcerer Lord's Oracular Visions is an insane mitigation tool.  That's in addition to the potent force multiplier from the Daemonic Power spell.

Speaking of Chaos Runeshield; the Knights/Warriors all have it.  They're mitigating a third of the magic damage that's coming in. Almost everything you'll be using to slog or hold objectives is going to be targeted by spells, right?  Might as well hedge your bets against that to begin with.  

Finally, the Warshrine is another enormous source of mitigation and rock-solid synergy with the PTWB phrasing.  You WANT to get hit and wounded but to succeed on your save; by that metric, Warshrine catches you coming AND going.  You can trigger the Battalion and then subsequently FNP after the wound is allocated with Protection of the Dark Gods; and a Blessing of Nurgle increases the saves of your targeted units anyway.

Again, I really don't have any context for my assumptions, but if anything, 'brittle' is the exact opposite of what the words on the warscrolls say to me.

Edited by sharang2

8 hours ago, Gistradagis said:

BKs where on left flank for deepstrike denial. His plaguebearers stringed up from to middle to the right flank objective. Rest was also on right side. He was passive because shootcast. But the game turned when I didn’t deepstrike my evos on the super weak left flank and follow up killing the glottkin - did 14 wounds in 1tap of longstrike shooting and switched to the monks but more then 10 were left so the furnace was still fully effective. He then took my raptors out and yeah :)  no way for me to catch up on points. 

All in all a super nice list to play against as shootcast :) and was a great game and super nice opponent 👍would definitely want to play again. 

1 hour ago, sharang2 said:

@schwabbele WHere can I learn more about terms like 'deepstrike' and stuff?  Can you recommend any resources that are for players who have a basic knowledge of the rules but want to be able to start making more tactical decisions in games?

Sorry for the confusion, you can find it in the small rules booklet on page 2 , it is called "reserves" . Deepstrike is from Warhammer 40k I guess , not sure where I picked it up.

RESERVES
Reserves are units that are
part of your army, but which
have an ability that allows you
to set them up in a location
other than on the battlefield
and deploy them later once the
battle has begun. Setting up a
reserve unit is not considered
a move for the unit, but it may
restrict a unit’s ability to move
in the same turn. Any reserves
that have not been set up when
the battle ends are treated as if
they had been slain when you
are working out which side won
the battle.

13 minutes ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

Where's Thricefold Befoulment at these days? I really want to make it work but haven't seen any high placing lists for a while. 

I'm curious about this too. In theory, the Munificent Wanderers subfaction should have given Thricefold with a couple big blocks of Plaguebearers a pretty nice little boost. I do think Thricefold struggles to keep up against newer armies though which is why it's fallen in popularity.

17 hours ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

Where's Thricefold Befoulment at these days? I really want to make it work but haven't seen any high placing lists for a while. 

I run it against Nagash last week. Seriously no fun at all. Thricefold lives /dies by your ability to cast spells. Nagash basically prohibits this.

Other than that: great looking models which is enough of a reason to field it IMO.

15 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

I run it against Nagash last week. Seriously no fun at all. Thricefold lives /dies by your ability to cast spells. Nagash basically prohibits this.

Other than that: great looking models which is enough of a reason to field it IMO.

That was always my problem with thricefold. It's a magic heavy list in a faction with a single source of +1 to cast rolls. If you play it against any army with competent casters (which is a lot of them currently) then you're starting at a disadvantage. We badly need a new book lol

1 hour ago, Dreadmund said:

That was always my problem with thricefold. It's a magic heavy list in a faction with a single source of +1 to cast rolls. If you play it against any army with competent casters (which is a lot of them currently) then you're starting at a disadvantage. We badly need a new book lol

I agree.

On the other hand I pretty like the GUO with bell. That +2" to movement is golden. With all shenanigans pulled out of your hat you´re able to alpha strike first turn with a lot of models right now (Daemon Princes, Knights, Varanguard, Soulgrinders, Marauders,...). Over there on the beastmen topic they often talk about how crucial movement and board control is for your beastmen playstyle. They also talk about lack of damage potential with beastmen. IMO it´s the same with Nurgle. I guess we have to use our movement shenanigans and all tools to improve resilience to win battles.

But I´m still new to that faction and the game overall, maybe I´m wrong.

Btw, I used a Soulgrinder in my last match and it is a cool piece, thgough I´m somewhat dissapointed by it´s damage output. Casted the Chaos Sorcerer Lords signature spell on it (rerolls to wounds and to hit) and GUOs CA, but it couldn´t impress me less. On the other hand, watching a big monster flying across the table in turn 1 to pin parts of the opposing forces was nice. Really liked it.

Well, after the game I did the math and 20 Marauders (150 pts) will be better in this role than the soulgrinder (210). REasons are:

- small based => easier to manoeuvre

- better resilience (both offer 4+ save, but Marauders offer more wounds), except for mass destruction spells. And can be buffed by Chaos Sorcerer Lord (rerolls to save)

- way higher damage output

It seems to be the bane of almost all chaos units right now: Marauders simply buffed by a Chaos Sorcerer Lord outshine almost every single chaos unit out there.