AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

2 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I love the despair among everyone in this thread. Our plague father feeds on it 😅 I’ll do a detailed write up but I was a butt hair away from playing in the top 8 finals at LVO (most competitive event in the world) with nurgle. 

Nurgle is fine. It’s not Tzeentch. But is in a solid place in the meta. Play smart. Choose your fights. Be patient. Take a punch, chortle, and then Counter punch when necessary. 

Play like you are the blob from the X-men universe, not wolverine or cyclops. 😘

@sal4m4nd3r is probably the best Nurgle (maggotkin) player there is, so take " Nurgle is fine" with a pinch of salt. 😄

But seriously, battalion point drop, "natural 6" for blightkings and these new sub-allegiance abilities really help Nurgle. Nurgle are always interesting to play because we can't just smash stuff up. We are resilient, but actually not as resilient as many armies. We're quite fast, but not as fast as many armies. Our summoning is the poorest of all summoning, but trees are quite good. I think it'll be interesting to see how people do with the new sub-allegiances in the next few months.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

You target a friendly unit and can possibly do multiple 3 mw sets..? If you multi charge. Correct? That was one of the reasoning with taking a huge unit of kings along with the points savings 

Sorry it says you only can take 1 enemy unit... So no chance of more than 3 mws... And additional the own unit need to be wholly within 14 of friendly rotbringer hero... 

So it's a chance of 3 mws for a CP... Only in very very niche and specific situation worth it, I think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2020 at 11:20 AM, sal4m4nd3r said:

@Zplash I have a lot of experience playing with 1 command point and two abilities you want to use every turn. Smart play will dictate which is more vital to use. Not all the time is the harbingers command necessary. 

I think you don’t understand the command ability because it is more effective against single target high armor targets..not grots. 

I love the despair among everyone in this thread. Our plague father feeds on it 😅 I’ll do a detailed write up but I was a butt hair away from playing in the top 8 finals at LVO (most competitive event in the world) with nurgle. 

Nurgle is fine. It’s not Tzeentch. But is in a solid place in the meta. Play smart. Choose your fights. Be patient. Take a punch, chortle, and then Counter punch when necessary. 

Play like you are the blob from the X-men universe, not wolverine or cyclops. 😘

What list did you use for LVO?

Maybe wrong place but has anyone tried  playing Nurgle as a Legion of Chaos Ascendant   (First prince) list. You could go with 1-2 Great Unclean Ones, Be’lakor, 3 Units of Plaguebearers and Drones/other Daemon of Nurgle units and you will get:

Better resilience (legion trait), better summoning(average of 10 plaguebearers per turn), better attrition (return d3 models on a 3+ from Be’lakor) and a monster of a character  in Be’lakor. Seems much stronger than going regular?

On 2/11/2020 at 1:45 PM, Crowvus said:

What list did you use for LVO?

Sorry this is delayed. I have been very busy at work! This is the list I took to LVO Age of Sigmar Championships

Allegiance: Nurgle
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction

Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: The Witherstave

Gutrot Spume (140)

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Lore of Foulness: Magnificent Buboes
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

40 x Chaos Marauders (300)
- Axes & Shields

- Axes & Shields

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 169

The strategy with this list is the be as effective against a wide array of threats. At Seven drops. If I needed to turtle, I can. It has a couple of decent hammers (Marauders) and is incredibly tanky. And that tankyness comes from several sources including several damage prevention rolls (DPR), units with a high concentration of wounds per model (blightkings), mass amount of wounds (marauders with Fleshy abundance). Glottkin provided two amazingly synergistic spells, as well as a great counter punch. 

I am doing this from memory so I will try to remember most of my opponents army and the details of the game. I apologize in advance for the length of this post. 

Game 1 - Focal Points 2018 in Ghyran - Demons of Tzeentch (old book) - LoC, a couple units of pink horrors, Gaunt summoner on foot, Gaunt summoner on disk, Chaos sorcerer lord and LOTS of endless spells. 

I went first. He deployed his Pink Horrors on the line in a mission that is 18" of separation. I noticed this immediately and jumped at the opportunity. I also knew I had to make a quick strike because I knew he was going to flood the board with endless spells and then unleash the demon rift. So I was able to move, run, and charge both units of marauders and completely remove both units of pink horrors, chaos sorcerer lord and secure 4/5 objectives. I spread out by buff pieces and Glott as to limit where he could summon all the blues. It forced him to turtle into his corner. So I got a bit lucky. I went far ahead on VPs and had a good game. 25-0 major win for me. 

Game 2 - Duality of Death 2018 - Ironjaws. Ethereal Maw Crusher, 1 unit of pigs, 3 units of 'ard boys, big unit brutes, couple warchanters.

He out dropped me and went first. I deployed 40 marauders and Harbinger on one side, 40 marauders and CSL on the other with the warshrine and Glott in the middle with the warshrine screening Glott. Didnt want that crusher coming in and alpha-ing him!

He made a CRITICAL error right off the bat. In a casual game I would have said something but this was a tournament. He used his hero phase move with his Maw Crusher to move onto the objective to my right. Then in his movement phase, moved his warchanter also onto that objective and then the maw crusher up 3"  outside of the objectives. Since his Maw Crusher secured the objective first, then moved off of it.. he lost control of it before he was able to score and VPs. He charged the marauders, but was unable to do a ton of damage, perhaps 10-12 marauders. Because of 6++ and rr-rolling 6s to hit and wound (lucky cycle roll). The marauders surrounded and brought him down to about half health. I used Glott to charge him but angled my charge as to use my Pile-in move to move onto the objective, securing it. The marauder on the left move ran and charged his pigs and ard boys. Tied them up for a turn or two (RR saves and +1 save was SO clutch) while the CSL slowly walked up to the objective. Maw crusher died and that was basically game over. HILARIOUS because the last wound done to the maw crusher was from the Harbinger's Horse bite when I rolled a 1 for the number of attacks!!!!

Game 3 - Blood and Glory - Tzeentch AGAIN! Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore. Witch Fire Coven battalion with like 30 Acolytes. big Unit of enlightened. Blue Scribes, Pink Horrors. 

I also knew I probably was not going to get the MAJOR win on this one because he could produce models in many different ways and had amazing mobility. So Almost immediately I was playing for the minor win/loss and focusing on secondary objectives.  I was able to pull off a long move run and charge with them, with blades of putrefaction FINALLY going off and removed 20 acolytes and the Manticore in one round of combat.  With each of us controlling 2 objectives and most of the board dead, It all came down to one objective. I had summoned 3 units of 5 plaguebearers on it. He shot every blue and brimstone horror at me. Managed to get a couple more models then me on it. Had I rolled a 1 for either battleshock I would have forced the draw. But I was content with the minor loss and most of my secondaries. So a 9 point minor loss was pretty decent. 

Game 4 - Battle for the Pass 2019 -  Nurgle mirror match! Plague Cyst and Blessed sons battalion. a 20 man unit of kings, gutrot and two more 10 man units. 40 BLIGHTKINGS! 

This was a bad mission for him. But I had such a fun game. My opponent was so amazing! He left 10 kings to guard his home objective. He moved  them up a bit but proved to be a critical error. The 20 man unit came off the side edge, as close as he could to one objective . Unfortunately for him, my marauders are just so freaking fast and managed to secure both side objectives, while MY spume managed to outflank with the 10 kings, right behind his home objective. I failed that charge but got the double turn. It was pretty funny because I was nervous about those 20 kings causing havoc in my back field. So I Move and ran the maruaders to just outside the 20 man unit, summoned a tree in between two LARGE pieces of terrain behind them to essentially seal off my home objective, but locking those idiots in a thunderdome with the 20 kings. They got fleshy abundance and had a 4+ re-rollable,/5++/6++. He piled in with I think 14 blightkings. Got about 40 something hits in on them. But I only lost 3 marauders! I was so far ahead on VP we called it after about turn 3. 

Game 5 - Starstrike 2019 against Skrye. 2 warp lightning cannons, 6 storm fiends, the engineer with more more warp power and vigor dust injectors,  bridge, 60 clan rats. 

I was 3-1 and REALLY wanted to win this one! I knew with a high scoring minor loss I had a solid chance to sneak into the top 8 and play in the finals! He gave me first turn which I was shocked about. But I think he really wanted the double turn. I basically stayed put. I had castled. There was a HUGE central terrain feature and also two large walls in my area. he was basically going to bridge up his army and shot the ****** out of me from one of two lanes. I just buffed whatever I could up and prayed. He bridged up the warp lightning cannons and shot the sorcerer and warshrine off. His fiends waddled up and blew the blightkings off the board. He got the double turn, but it was kind of a dud. One warp lightning cannon blew itself up, and the other didn't do to much damage.  he screened his stormfiends and the remaining cannon with clan rats. 

Marauders to the rescue. I got blades off, and move/run/13" charge and literally went around his screen and deleted his stormfiends. and the remaining cannon. and the clan rat screen. The objectives came down. My side was in a good spot. Behind a piece of terrain. Summon 5 plaguebearers. secured. The other two both landed on the FAR left side completely away from the action. Well the other marauders, move, run and 12/13" charge again to ALMOST take out the 20 rats holding it. Couldnt actually get models onto the objective because of his expert placment.

Long story short, its bottom of turn 4. FIVE minutes left in the round. Marauders tied up with a couple small rat characters and a smattering of clanrats. I was ahead and just needed to take 1 of the two objectives. Had I just retreat the remaining marauders onto one of them instead of remaining in combat to try to remove models from the other I would have one! But I just got flustered with time and lost focus!!! My opponent was so awesome though. It was an amazing game and I LOVE his gaming group (Gentlemen Gaming)

3-2 with a minor loss. 34/180 and a Best Painting nomination. 8th overall! I ended up securing the ITC's Top ranked nurgle player for 2019, Best Nurgle at LVO, and my gaming group won Best Age of Sigmar team for the year! 

Thanks to EVERYONE'S help over the year. I couldn't have made it this far without the advice and great ideas of all of you!

Capture.PNG

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 3

Hello guys,

I hope you can help me out.

Besides my 10.000 points Stormcast Army I was in search for a second army.

I was always in love with the nurgle models, so I decided to buy them, besides certain weaknesses in their overall strength. But I am not a tournament player so this should be fine.

Now to the problem. It seems that I am not able to create a good allround list that doesn't lack damage and is within 2.000 points...

Can you help me out?

The following things should be in it just because I love the models...

- Glottkin or GUO

- 1* Maggot Lord (which one?)

- 4 Pusgoyle Blightlords (lovely models)

- Blightkings (2* 10!?)

- maybe some nurgle beasts or plague bearers

Thank you very much.

@rosa

Welcome to the garden! We are here to help! If you are not a tournament player..what models do you like the most? Nurgle’s strength isn’t doing lots of damage but taking it and chortling. Sitting on objectives. Debuffing the enemy. It’s a denial army. 

Glottkin is a force multiplier. He is generally better with blocks of larger numbered units. 

Guo is a support piece, and a good caster. Three of them in a thricefold befoulment list is fun!

blightkings are great! All around they do some decent damage and have a lot of wounds! Synergize VERY WELL with harbinger of decay. 

Maggoth lords are great models with interesting tiles, but IMO, really over coated points wise for what they bring to the battle. Bloab rotspawned is generally considered the best and synergizes well with beasts of nurgle.

plaguebearers are tough and durable bodies.  

Thank you very much for your help.

I am more or less aware of the different unit types, I already have the tome.

In my initial post, I stated the units I love the most and which should be included in the list. I already tried to build a list around them, but failed somehow :)

So, I would love to include these and build something meaningful around them:

- Glottkin or GUO

- 1* Maggot Lord (Bloab)

- 4 Pusgoyle Blightlords (lovely models)

- Blightkings (probably 2* 10!?)

- maybe some nurgle beasts or plague bearers

- ???

Edited by rosa
Edit

@rosa

Well in your first post you didn’t now which maggoth lord you wanted. And I think you were confused at to Nurgle’s strength as an army is. So I tried to point out synergies that exist between the units you like. Especially because you said you aren’t a tournament player. Usually that means you would play units that you like the look of or/and want to paint.

The only models in there you didn’t list is Festus and the lord of afflictions. I figured if you like the pusgoyles you would like he lord of afflictions.

As I tried to explain in my post, the models you like are a little all over the place. The reason you couldn’t come up with a list you like (probably) is the synergies don’t overlap much with the models you want to include. Here is a list for you, simply using the models you listed.

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Artefact: The Witherstave  
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Bloab Rotspawned (240)
- Lore of Malignance: Gift of Contagion
Lord of Afflictions (200)
- General
- Command Trait: Grandfather's Blessing  
Festus the Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Gift of Contagion

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (200)

Units
3 x Beasts of Nurgle (240)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 147

• Thanks 1

@sal4m4nd3r

You are absolutely right. Sorry for some confusions and thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated.

Yes, this seems to be my problem. I know the book and Warscroll but so far I am rather unaware of the synergies.

The list you posted looks promising modelwise... But with what unit am I supposed to deal any damage? As I am new to nurgle I don't see this (besides Blightkings)🤔😅

2 Blightlords is probably also to few or maybe if the LoA assists it could work.

4 on the other hand ist so expensive... 

2 plus LoA or drop LoA and add 2 Pusgoyle?

Sigh! 😅

Edited by rosa

There is no need to apologize my dude. We are all in this together. 

You have identified the problems with pusgoyles blightlords exactly. And this they don’t see much play. But as you also correctly identified, the models are absolutely ACE.

Nurgle’s strength isn’t doing damage. It’s debuffs, resiliency, and attrition. Get on objectives and outlast the opponent. We have access to a few hammer units in other books (plague monks, marauders, chaos knights etc.). Drones are the Maggotkin hammer. They have a lot of attacks, fly, fast, shooting attack. But most attacks hit on 4s so can be quite feast or famine. 

I think your best bet for a fun yet competent list is going to pick one of those big centerpiece models, add some battleline (plaguebearers Or blightkings Or some mix of the two), add a hammer unit as that seems to be a focus of yours. Sprinkle in a caster/support character/fun unit. And do your best. 

Look to the Pestilens units, slaves to darkness units to expand your options. 

• Thanks 1

Does this make any sense?

LEADERS
The Glottkin (420)
- General
Bloab Rotspawned (240)
Lord of Plagues (140)
UNITS
4 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (400)
1 x Beasts of Nurgle (80)
1 x Beasts of Nurgle (80)

20 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

3-2 with a minor loss. 34/180 and a Best Painting nomination. 8th overall! I ended up securing the ITC's Top ranked nurgle player for 2019, Best Nurgle at LVO, and my gaming group won Best Age of Sigmar team for the year! 

I like your post and appreciate that u share it with us. Also Gratulations to reaching your goal, best nurgle ITC ;) not bad! 

On the other hand it kind of shows the poor side of maggotkins state too. 

3:2 best nurgle vs armees which were not the biggest S tiers. But which is troubling me the most is your list. Sorry to say that, but it's 82 STD models vs 13 real maggotkin models. And thereof you played 80 marauders which are the new plaguemonk style. It's just sad that it looks like you are pushed to grab the strongest "allys" option to even work out a 3:2. 

Just looking forward to a new tome or the right adjustments which makes pure maggotkin going 3:2 / 4:1. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words! Although I take your point about using a lot of slaves to darkness units. 

I’m making a pure maggotkin list perhaps one or two pieces from outside (but staying within a self imposed 400 point limit) to really show maggotkin is ok. Will report back 🙂. Sure a new book would be nice but I think Nurgle can be competitive with tight play.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zplash said:

I like your post and appreciate that u share it with us. Also Gratulations to reaching your goal, best nurgle ITC ;) not bad! 

On the other hand it kind of shows the poor side of maggotkins state too. 

3:2 best nurgle vs armees which were not the biggest S tiers. But which is troubling me the most is your list. Sorry to say that, but it's 82 STD models vs 13 real maggotkin models. And thereof you played 80 marauders which are the new plaguemonk style. It's just sad that it looks like you are pushed to grab the strongest "allys" option to even work out a 3:2. 

Just looking forward to a new tome or the right adjustments which makes pure maggotkin going 3:2 / 4:1. 

Marauders are battle line in Nurgle. So it is a pure Nurgle army. What you are actually saying is I want to only be able to play “insert a specific type of model” and I want it to be as good as any carefully build army out there. Not going to happen - not in this game. I play mostly Tzeentch and I regularly add STD units - never feeling that I am no longer playing Tzeentch. 

Edited by NJohansson
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

Speaking of STD's I'm playing around with a list that just sits on objectives while the enemy takes MW all day long as a means to inflict damage. 

Start with a Plague Touched warband so we punish our opponent for every 6 to wound.  Add wheel shenanigans to get some extra MW (Grandfather's blessing and foul regenesis can help keep it where we want it).  For a artifact take the stenchplate to inflict D3 MW to all enemy units within 3" of the carrier at the end of the enemy movement phase.  The Flesh Pealer does D3 MW on a 5+ to enemy units within 6" in the Hero phase.  Then use the battalions once per turn ability to do D3 MW to a unit within a 1" of a unit in the battalion on 3+   

Sort of a "stop hitting yourself" list hahaha.  I don't know if it will work but I'm starting to brew up some ideas and would love to see what other people thought.

Very quick mock up:

Leaders
- Lore of Foulness: Magnificent Buboes

- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall

Harbinger of Decay (160)
- Artefact: Flesh Pealer

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (250)
- General
- Command Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: Sublucus' Stenchplate

Battleline
20 x Chaos Warriors (400)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
15 x Chaos Warriors (300)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
- Axes & Shields

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Battalions
Plaguetouched Warband (180)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 148

• Haha 1

Hello Nurglings

I’m looking into getting stuck into Maggotkin. What I really want to do is all Blightkings, lead by Gutrot Spume. A kind of pirate themed Blightking army. 
My questions are:

How does an entire blightkings blight cyst army go?
How do they play? 

What combinations are good?

Which units to include?

What are some interesting additions or tactics?

Pretty much any critique or comments are welcome

Cheers!

8 hours ago, NJohansson said:

Marauders are battle line in Nurgle. So it is a pure Nurgle army. What you are actually saying is I want to only be able to play “insert a specific type of model” and I want it to be as good as any carefully build army out there. Not going to happen - not in this game. I play mostly Tzeentch and I regularly add STD units - never feeling that I am no longer playing Tzeentch. 

Hm I think you don't get my point. 

And no way I want a specific type of model be as good as xy... 

All I am saying it's sad to have to play 7 times more official StD models than pure maggotkin.

I don't have issues with allys within the 400 points range. But I decided to play my maggotkin und trying to get the best out of them without playing 85% StD models, just feels bad man ;)

And I totally get why he is doing it and that it is one of the strongest options for us currently. 

Im not as noobish as I may sound sometimes :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zplash said:

All I am saying it's sad to have to play 7 times more official StD models than pure maggotkin.

I don't have issues with allys within the 400 points range. But I decided to play my maggotkin und trying to get the best out of them without playing 85% StD models, just feels bad man ;)

And I totally get why he is doing it and that it is one of the strongest options for us currently. 

Agree, it would be like playing a LoN army but with 85% nighthaunt (Legion of Grief I'm looking at you).  Definitely feels way more like a nighthaunt army than a LoN army when I play it.  It's actually why I do, I can use the LoN rules which are at least viable and still feel like I'm playing Nighthaunt.  

7 hours ago, Zplash said:

I was probably to short in my answer. I fully agree that it would be nice if every army book was 100 percent competitive. But my point was that the Maggotkin army book actually includes all mark of Nurgle units so marauders with mark of Nurgle are part of the book. STD actually is sort of a supplement (providing mark of Nurgle units) to Maggotkin - not just to be seen as allies.

One of the main strength of chaos is its variation and endless possibilities to mix and match from different books (IMHO).

Edited by NJohansson

1 hour ago, NJohansson said:

One of the main strength of chaos is its variation and endless possibilities to mix and match from different books (IMHO).

This is true, but I'm not sure I've ever seen competitive lists with STD in Hedonites, Arcanites or Blades battletome lists. Most competitive nurgle lists do have them though. 

8 hours ago, Zplash said:

My biggest gripe with Maggotkin since the days of the original plaguetouched battalion. I brought a battletome, I want to play that battletome with the armies it shows and the warscrolls included in the book.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

This is true, but I'm not sure I've ever seen competitive lists with STD in Hedonites, Arcanites or Blades battletome lists. Most competitive nurgle lists do have them though. 

Depends I guess - Be’lakor and Archeon is often seen across the board, so is the Gaunt summoner and Khorne/Nurgle Daemon Prince. Unit vise marauders are sometimes seen in Khorne and warriors sometimes in Tzeentch (although probably not on a competitive level). Lots of STD spells are also taken where possible. But I definitely agree that Maggot needs them more than the rest (the book is definitely weaker than for example Tzeentch or Hedonites).

Edited by NJohansson

18 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Give it some time, I think you'll start seeing them pop up. Archaon is incredible in khorne and tzeentch, and someone was discussing some good results in... either the tzeentch or S2D thread. Marauders also work well everywhere and solidly beat out pretty much every god marked battleline, so I expect to see them show up in tournament lists as well.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1