AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

It seems like they don't want nurgle to be good.  They fixed blightkings by changing it to nat 6a then took away our synergy with Warshrine.  Before that they increased all the endless spells Thricefold used.  Now they print this book where Drowned is the worst faction for the worst models...and the others aren't much better.  At least we have the most expensive battalion that is also meh.

Edit: And to top it off after LVO/CanCon we are litterally the worst faction.  41% now down from 43%

Edited by Crowvus

Just checking for some clarification on the cloying quagmire spell.

As it states SAVE CHARACTERISTIC does that mean a unit with a 4+ save, effected by +1 to save rolls would still require a roll of 4+ to activate? (As the bonus is to the roll not characteristic) 

Played another nurgle player who tried to convince me otherwise but I'm pretty sure I have it right. 

2 hours ago, Crowvus said:

It seems like they don't want nurgle to be good.  They fixed blightkings by changing it to nat 6a then took away our synergy with Warshrine.  Before that they increased all the endless spells Thricefold used.  Now they print this book where Drowned is the worst faction for the worst models...and the others aren't much better.  At least we have the most expensive battalion that is also meh.

Edit: And to top it off after LVO/CanCon we are litterally the worst faction.  41% now down from 43%

Dude, Blessed Sons + Blight Cyst seems pretty saucy. Lots of shenanigans, plus a load of additional mortal wound output for free!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Dude, Blessed Sons + Blight Cyst seems pretty saucy. Lots of shenanigans, plus a load of additional mortal wound output for free!

Can you go a little bit more into detail here? I see the benefit in the wanderers sub faction besides the ****** artefact but blessed sons shenanigans? 

I mean sure, it makes our blight cyst stronger due to 6er runs and if not playing vs nurgle a little bit of mortal wounds but I think this will be no issue because you won't play to many blightkings and if you play like 30 it's some mortals like 25 if all of your models are dead...? I dont see very cool interactions here. 

Like I said yes it s better with blessed son than without it but some jucy stuff? 

5 hours ago, Zplash said:

Can you go a little bit more into detail here? I see the benefit in the wanderers sub faction besides the ****** artefact but blessed sons shenanigans? 

I mean sure, it makes our blight cyst stronger due to 6er runs and if not playing vs nurgle a little bit of mortal wounds but I think this will be no issue because you won't play to many blightkings and if you play like 30 it's some mortals like 25 if all of your models are dead...? I dont see very cool interactions here. 

Like I said yes it s better with blessed son than without it but some jucy stuff? 

I like this blessed sons list..

Allegiance: Nurgle
Blessed Sons
Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes

-re roll saves artefact. 

Lord of Blights (140)
- General
- Artefact: Rustfang  
Harbinger of Decay (160)

Battleline
20 x Putrid Blightkings (580)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
40 x Chaos Marauders (300)
- Axes & Shields

Battalions
Blight Cyst (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 190

14” move and run (16” with cycle) is pretty cool. Can still charge to. The marauders are also fast as F. And the Lob can tag the 20 kings with -1 to hit for a turn (maybe two)

Thinking around using warderers with pusgoyles and lord of af. As They are daemone, but also mortals. Maybe also with a great unclean to give +1 atk and a harbinger for extra 5+ sabe. Going something like 4+/5+/5+ sabe, giving  mortals back when geting hit by 6s and ignoring -1 rend.

Lord of af (general)

Great unclean

Harbinger

1x 4 pusgoyle

1x2 pusgoyle

1x2 pusgoyle

1x 30 plaguebearers

Affli cyst.

Realy wang pusgoyles back on menú, the miniatures are blasting.

13 hours ago, Zplash said:

Nurgle have some decent ranged MW output and it gives us some more MW output. I'm not saying it puts nurgle top tier, but it woud be interesting to try it out with blightkings now they have natural rolls of 6 for exploding hits. 30 BKs give 124 wounds (in 3 units), with 4+ and 5+ with harbinger. If you get them all in combat (i wouldn't run a 20 personally, rather 3x10) you're getting a lot of rend -1 attacks I'm also thinking of running with Epidemius (never put that model on the table) to give re-rolls hit and wounds 1, which for a 3+/3+ melee weapon is pretty amazing- 90 3+rr1s/3+rr1s/rend -1 is pretty amazing. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Goldy751 said:

I like the blessed sons. The CA is a bit meh but the rest seems nice to have for free. And you can easily fit 2 battalions in there if you want the extra artifacts. The MW on death seems a bit meh becouse our low model count but at least it is reliable.  

I mean it's on top of everything else. Combined with the Nurgle allegiance stuff, you can be outputting several unlimited range D3 MWs per turn, force RR wounds of 6, rend -1 on a load of blightkings, MW on losing models, run and charge everywhere etc. There's a lot of stuff there. It's not top tier, but it's going to be pretty fun figuring out how to play that army. 

• Thanks 1

Sure, some of the subfactions offer some shenanigans, but i am seeing nothing in them that would turn losses into wins. No gamechangers at all. I don't want bonuses when my BKs die, I want them less likely to die or dealing more damage.  The command ability on Blessed Sons is also a total waste of time, unless you're wanting clear a horde of Grots.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Drones, so would probably go for a Droning Guard BKs / Daemon mix, with PBs to act as bodyguards for the BKs to reduce that rend, and Drones to try and get at threats on the first turn.

Im new to Nurgle, started slaves to darkness but thinking I might dip my toe into some nurgles rot with the new chaos campaign book. Just wondering why more people dont seem to use the bell on the GUO? I know it isnt very good damage wise but the buff it gives to the otherwise slow army surely makes it worth it.

15 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I like this blessed sons list..

Allegiance: Nurgle
Blessed Sons
Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes

-re roll saves artefact. 

Lord of Blights (140)
- General
- Artefact: Rustfang  
Harbinger of Decay (160)

Battleline
20 x Putrid Blightkings (580)
40 x Chaos Marauders (300)
- Axes & Shields

Battalions
Blight Cyst (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 190

14” move and run (16” with cycle) is pretty cool. Can still charge to. The marauders are also fast as F. And the Lob can tag the 20 kings with -1 to hit for a turn (maybe two)

I see the idea and as mentioned, I think it's fun. But your idea will crumble pretty fast due to CPs...

You want to use harbi each turn, the LoB CA some turns and you should have a CP in the pocket at least for battleshock test of the marauders... ;)

besides the 6 run, which is kind of a free CP a turn the blessed sons don't offer to much... And additional you have to take the artefakt which is at least better than the wanderers :D

Also I have problems with holding or capturing objectives in this blightkings heavy armees :( I think my personnel change to your list would be to change the marauders with 30 plaguebearers as objective holders

One other question, is the GUO allowed to take the blessed sons artifact? 

3 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

The bell is used most. Only GUO I've seen without it is in Thricefold because one already has it.

This. Also, I'll add that the only way I've found to make the Sword and Flail GUO come anywhere near worth his points is to put Ghyrstrike on his big sword.

Ah okay, maybe its just the people ive seen playing with it never modelled the bell 😅

Also another question. With the new command trait for Munificent Wanderers, is it 1 MW dealt at the end of the attack sequence if any dice to hit were 6. Or 1 MW for each? Because I know people played it the latter way with the nurgle daemon prince command ability and it got FAQ'd that it is only 1d3 if at least 1 hit roll was a 6. So unsure if its gonna be the same thing with the command trait for Munificent Wanderers or if it will actually be fairly brutal against high attack armies.

@Zplash I have a lot of experience playing with 1 command point and two abilities you want to use every turn. Smart play will dictate which is more vital to use. Not all the time is the harbingers command necessary. 

9 hours ago, Goldy751 said:

I like the blessed sons. The CA is a bit meh but the rest seems nice to have for free. And you can easily fit 2 battalions in there if you want the extra artifacts. The MW on death seems a bit meh becouse our low model count but at least it is reliable.  

I think you don’t understand the command ability because it is more effective against single target high armor targets..not grots. 

I love the despair among everyone in this thread. Our plague father feeds on it 😅 I’ll do a detailed write up but I was a butt hair away from playing in the top 8 finals at LVO (most competitive event in the world) with nurgle. 

Nurgle is fine. It’s not Tzeentch. But is in a solid place in the meta. Play smart. Choose your fights. Be patient. Take a punch, chortle, and then Counter punch when necessary. 

Play like you are the blob from the X-men universe, not wolverine or cyclops. 😘

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@Zplash

I think you don’t understand the command ability because it is more effective against single target high armor targets..not grots. 

😅

Hm how is this? High armor single targets got most likely:

1) high bravery and

2) vs high armor saves we don't likely get too many attacks through with only rend1? 

Or do you mean with high armor saves like "bad" armor saves? Than I would understand it 😅 but still vs bad armor saves I most likely don't need extra 3 dmg for a CP because blightkings rocks vs bad saves :)

@Zplash I’m thinking armor of 3-4. Even 2 if you can get favored poxes. But what I mean most of all is that the damage from the command ability is most impactful against a single target not a gaggle of grots. 

Dont get me wrong. This isn’t a game changing command ability. I just think it’s a nice tool in the tool box 🙂 How many times have you left a tree lord, maw crusha or similar on 1-3 wounds and been 🤬🤬🤬

3 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@Zplash I’m thinking armor of 3-4. Even 2 if you can get favored poxes. But what I mean most of all is that the damage from the command ability is most impactful against a single target not a gaggle of grots. 

Dont get me wrong. This isn’t a game changing command ability. I just think it’s a nice tool in the tool box 🙂 How many times have you left a tree lord, maw crusha or similar on 1-3 wounds and been 🤬🤬🤬

Yeah :D it would be bonkers if you could decide after the wounds if you pull the CA or not...

This way it's a risky gamble for a CP... Which we need very badly with a mortal heavy Armee... ;)

• Like 1