AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

2 hours ago, Infernalslayer said:

Indeed, i said that generally all the units in the Maggotkin Battletome have high costs because the warscrolls are good so the points are fair, they are not overcosted. My comment was a response above, that someone finding 320 points left to include the Chaos War Mammoth in a nurgle army is not likely if they want to play competitive Nurgle ?

I’m both a competetive player and do quite well. I know what I’m talking about..

CWM is an absolute beatstick (10 attacks at -2 rend and d3 damage - d3 mortal wounds per 4+ roll on 5 dice) that now benefits from harbinger and ALL warshrine buffs. Buffed to a 4+ save and synergies with all Nurgle healing...if you think that isn’t worth one unit of ten Kings your high. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

5 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I’m both a competetive player and do quite well. I know what I’m talking about..

CWM is an absolute beatstick (10 attacks at -2 rend and d3 damage - d3 mortal wounds per 4+ roll on 5 dice) that now benefits from harbinger and ALL warshrine buffs. Buffed to a 4+ save and synergies with all Nurgle healing...if you think that isn’t worth one unit of ten Kings your high. 

Finding a War Mammoth is the hardest part.

5 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

I’d recommend the Forgeworld Mumak as a replacement ... but probably nothing less than a 170mm round.

I like it, and it's certainly less than Maatmag by Mierce Miniatures, but it's also out of stock.  Boo!

Edited by grungolah

2 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Alternately, Stonehorn (add trunk) with a converted Chaos Warshrine?

Something like this?

560592AB-45FC-495E-A7A3-E517EB378505.jpeg.82a9834d26afef7b7fbb0ea154fea6ca.jpeg

https://tykensrift.wordpress.com/2015/06/29/tales-from-albian-issue-two/

That's gonna be REALLY small compared to the mammoth. Sorry to break it to you.

The LOTR War Mamuk is close in size. Thinner, but close.
I know that the mammuk is near double the height and area of the Stonehorn/tusk/frosty

mrm_dkl_fmr_blr_mbs_701_000_01_large.png

I've been eyeing this for a while now.  Stands over 12" tall, but the base is only 120mm.  His head would be as tall as Glottkin, which feels right.

I'm just looking for a suitable wooden structure to put on his back.  If I could make one from scratch, I'd just sculpt an elephant by scratch lol.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blackspine said:

That's gonna be REALLY small compared to the mammoth. Sorry to break it to you.

The LOTR War Mamuk is close in size. Thinner, but close.
I know that the mammuk is near double the height and area of the Stonehorn/tusk/frosty

So ... figure out an appropriate base size and set it up on a large scenic base. The War Mammoth unfortunately isn’t made anymore. :(

Probably a 160 round or 170 oval

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Injuryprone said:

Why, why did you hurt my plague toads?

This is what I am wondering. I have 12 toads that are pretty much useless now.  I kept rereading it in disbelief. How can nurgle daemons NOT have a real no pain save!  SHAME!

Just working my brains into a 1k list, 

1 gutrot

5 PBK 

1 horticulous

1 poxbringer (general)

5 PBK 

3 Plague Drones

that hits exactly 1k.   Plan is gutrot disembarcs with his friends ( charge odds improved via command points). Horticulous and flies move towards they are the hammer. Poxbringer and 2nd unit of PBK go together. I hope this list can offer some.resistance to tzeentch and seraphon (last time I.was obliterated In his 1st turn)

what do you think?

I hope with 2 trees can generate a good chunk of  contagiom points, and horticulous and Poxbringer can heal some wounds 

Edited by peasant

4 minutes ago, peasant said:

Just working my brains into a 1k list, 

1 gutrot

5 PBK 

1 horticulous

1 poxbringer (general)

5 PBK 

3 Plague Drones

that hits exactly 1k.   Plan is gutrot disembarcs with his friends ( charge odds improved via command points). Horticulous and flies move towards they are the hammer. Poxbringer and 2nd unit of PBK go together. I hope this list can offer some.resistance to tzeentch and seraphon (last time I.was obliterated In his 1st turn)

what do you think?

I hope with 2 trees can generate a good chunk of  contagiom points, and horticulous and Poxbringer can heal some wounds 

Idk.... seems a little light on magic. Maybe swap out the poxbringer for a sorcerer? At least then you can take mutter grub. If you are worried about Tzeentch or toads you have to figure out a way to get more spell unbinding in your list.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tasman said:

Idk.... seems a little light on magic. Maybe swap out the poxbringer for a sorcerer? At least then you can take mutter grub. If you are worried about Tzeentch or toads you have to figure out a way to get more spell unbinding in your list.

you right i use Poxbringer as for healing the PBK, for more unbinding I can swap plague drones for  a cygor?

The new spell rule says: "i can't try to cast the same spell in one herophase twice. Even with another sorcerer"

At least it says something like that in the rules in my language  :D

Does this mean that i cant even try to cast the same spell twice with another sorcerer even if the first try wasnt going through? 

So question  is: can i cast 1 spells only once per herophase or try to cast once per herophase?

Thx you for your help. I think that clarification decides about my Army Combo haha

Edited by Zplash
Autocorrect foreign language

3 minutes ago, peasant said:

Im afraid to transport plague drones and pusgoyles... 

I know that feeling all too well - It's the exact same for me.

Anyway, since you seem really interested in 1k lists, I'll let you see both of mine:

Harbinger of Decay - 160

Sorcerer - 120

Poxbringer, Herald of Nurgle - 120

Beast of Nurgle - 100

Putrid Blightkings - 160

Putrid Blightkings - 160

Putrid Blightkings - 160

980 / 1000

So I've played a couple games with ^ this list already, and I've found it works really well. 3 units of kings still work reliably within the command ability from the harbinger, as well as his artefact of power (I always go for The Witherstave with him). The sorcerer lets you have a try at hero sniping with the Plague Squall spell, plus the spell from the Poxbringer lets you decide how to cycle your wheel (Usually between 5-6 to get more mortal wounds off for more hero-sniping, plus having your enemy re-roll 6's to wound really cripples some armies).

You also get two unbinds with this list, plus that beast can always run + charge to tie up a unit you don't fancy allowing to advance. He's actually really, really tanky (though not very killy). Another nice thing about having the beast along is that you can use him to secure your backline objective by holding him back some, perhaps letting him grab one objective while your wizards go for whichever backline objective is closest to a terrain feature you like.

That list being 980 instead of bang-on 1000 is also good for earning the extra bonus, or denying your enemy that bonus even if he's 980/990 as well.

On to my second list:

Harbinger of Decay - 160

Sorcerer - 120

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore - 200

Putrid Blightkings - 160

Putrid Blightkings - 160

Putrid Blightkings - 160

960 / 1000

^ This list is similar to the first, except this time you don't bring a beast - sacrificing the ability to easily hold a backline objective, or charging in to tie up an enemy unit. However, the sorcerer lord on manticore brings a unique spell, as well as granting you better saves on one of your units for free. He can also fly, which is essential for when your plague squall and wheel just won't let you snipe properly, and you find you actually need to fly across all those enemy chaff units blocking your path.

This list is also a little cheaper, further enhancing your ability to gain a small bonus, or deny that same bonus to your enemy.

• Thanks 1