AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, Forrix said:

New Rotbringer subfaction in the upcoming expansion... Not sure how good this actually will be but with the Winter FAQ changes I'm really feeling like painting up some blightkings.

FB_IMG_1580153284647.jpg

Every little bit helps... 

Looking at the rotbringer model count its kinda weak plus considering first of all u don't want to lose your few models... And if you play max 30 blightkings that's 25 mortals if every model is dead XD... Not a good trade. 

But yeah better than nothing. I'm curious what the other sub factions will look like :)

... again, we heal std nurgles but they still dmg us with their nurgle mortal stuff? I don't get it... 

46 minutes ago, Zplash said:

Every little bit helps... 

Looking at the rotbringer model count its kinda weak plus considering first of all u don't want to lose your few models... And if you play max 30 blightkings that's 25 mortals if every model is dead XD... Not a good trade. 

But yeah better than nothing. I'm curious what the other sub factions will look like :)

... again, we heal std nurgles but they still dmg us with their nurgle mortal stuff? I don't get it... 

Yeah, as a subfaction ability I think its pretty meh in practice but its something at least. And who knows, maybe it will come with a command trait/ability/artifact that improves spell casting. With all the OBR in my meta I don't think Maggotkin will go anywhere competitive unless they put out ranged damage somehow.

I hate how so many of our allegiance abilities also buff Slaves to Darkness, Skaven and enemy Nurgle units. My sweetest wish for a new battletome would be to change all that stuff to "friendly NURGLE units" but if this image is a good indicator of things to come, it won't happen.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, calcysimon said:

We don't know all the traits, this is probably only 1 of 3-4

It is, but I agree that the ability is disappointing. I want my Rotbringers alive, and dealing out damage so would preferred something that helped them to do either of those.

It also looks like Gutrot will be a compulsory inclusion, which I personally don't like - unless they enhance the deepstrike to be up to 4th Battleround and/or multiple BK units, something like that.

So based off of today's preview it looks like we're getting 4 subfactions:

The Munificent Wanderers: Yay Nurgle Daemons!

The Droning Guard: Nurgle Daemons and probably plague drones in particular. I have high hopes since I think drones could be competitive with relatively low buffs. I'm hoping they get +1 to hit somewhere.

The Blessed Sons: Rotbringers. Maybe focused on durability based on the current battalion. Could be nice, hopefully more impactful than Drowned Men.

The Drowned Men: We saw them yesterday. They might blightkings better than they were before :P

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cchalmers said:

How does the circle of corruption work with grandfather's blessing. Both can say at the start of the hero phase, so do they both go off?

Eg using it to proc Rampant disease

The player whose turn it is decides the order things resolve if they happen at the same time. So yes, you can resolve an effect like Rampant Disease, then change the wheel forward or back and have that effect resolve too.

• Like 1

Munificent Wanders: bf3c5b6e.jpg

Looks really good and depending on the rest of the abilities could make a Tallyband List actually worth taking. It's what I'm most excited for now. Hopefully it doesn't get the DP of Nurgle treatment.

Droning Guard: 9502023d.jpg

Not bad, I'm actually not sure if this is the Command Trait or subfaction ability though I think its the CT based on the warlord flavor text. Not particularly amazing to me but movement buffs are good, even if its just 4 inches.

Blessed Sons: 65417c17.jpg

More speed is good and Rotbringers are command point hungry to begin with so I'd rate this pretty high. Still need to see what the rest of the faction brings.

Drowned Men: f2e11927.jpg

A meh command ability considering Blightlords can't be in a Blight Cyst (this would have been great on Blightkings). Considering their subfaction ability promotes large unit sizes (aka blightkings) the anti-synergy between the two sinks this subfaction for me. Their command trait/artefact is going to have to be mind-blowing to bail them out.

21 hours ago, Forrix said:

Looks really good and depending on the rest of the abilities could make a Tallyband List actually worth taking. It's what I'm most excited for now. Hopefully it doesn't get the DP of Nurgle treatment.

I want plaguebearers to be good. Maybe this does the trick. My main pain now is though that they get bonuses at 30. I'd really rather take lots of min size units in the battalion.

Rules up on NZ pre order. Sorceror of Nurgle, extra 60 points for two blightking meatshields, +1 wound, and +1 save. Not to mention +1 spell once per game. Pretty good if you ask me. Comes with Blessed Sons keyword. Most interesting to me is that the Virulent Discharge from the Wurmspat means Fecula has regular healing, not that you need to keep the boys with her.

Also, am I right in saying that both can be taken in a plague cyst, with the wurmspat taking one of the mandatory blightkings, as they are a unit, and have the blightkings keyword?

Fecula.png

Wurmspat.png

Edited by Soulsmith
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Also, am I right in saying that both can be taken in a plague cyst, with the wurmspat taking one of the mandatory blightkings, as they are a unit, and have the blightkings keyword?

No.  in AoS rules, if a name (e.g. Sorcerer) is not bold, it is referring to the unit of that name, not any unit with that keyword. 

Tallyband of Nurgle calls for GREAT UNCLEAN ONE (keyword), so you can take Rotigus for that slot. But Plague Cyst, Blight Cyst, and Blessed Sons batallions all require the exact warcroll units specified, because the names are not bold (are not keywords). 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

No.  in AoS rules, if a name (e.g. Sorcerer) is not bold, it is referring to the unit of that name, not any unit with that keyword. 

Tallyband of Nurgle calls for GREAT UNCLEAN ONE (keyword), so you can take Rotigus for that slot. But Plague Cyst, Blight Cyst, and Blessed Sons batallions all require the exact warcroll units specified, because the names are not bold (are not keywords). 

I am not sure what the discussion is but are you arguing that words listed under KEYWORDS are not keywords?

Plaque Cyst is asking for 0-1 "Sorcerer" which would be filled by Fecula and 3-6 units of "Putrit Blightkings" which would be filled 1x by 

the "Wurm Spat" since the Warscroll directly says it a "unit and has 2 models" It also states Fecula and Wurmspat are 2 different units.

How this is not legal is far beyond me.

Edited by Kurrilino
  • Thanks 1

See this is how I read it also. As the Wurmspat are a unit, and list keyword "Putrid Blightkings", surely they count, technically, as a unit of putrid blightkings, and therefore can be in battalions? As  could Fecula, as she has Sorcerer keyword.

I will say however that I don't know how the fact they are listed together as a Leader may impact it. It states they are separate units explicitly, but still. 

You wouldn't be able to take them in Plague/Blight Cyst. With those battalions, in the organization box we can see the required/optional units have their names without any bolded text or full caps. This means the battalions require the exact units with those names.

If you compare it to the Thricefold Befoulment battalion, it has 3 GREAT UNCLEAN ONES meaning it requires 3 units with that keyword, not just the specific name of the unit "Great Unclean One". So you could take Rotigus or the Exalted FW Great Unclean One in that battalion. 

Edited by Oceanic_Eyes
Spelling mistakes
  • Thanks 1

Hm, they are not bad but for 160 I get 5 blightkings hm. Would have wished for a different and better signituare spell for the old lady :( now we have a kinf of tanky caster... Don't know...

If they could be added in a battalion I think they would be okish or a buff but without that hmm 

15 minutes ago, Zplash said:

Hm, they are not bad but for 160 I get 5 blightkings hm. Would have wished for a different and better signituare spell for the old lady :( now we have a kinf of tanky caster... Don't know...

If they could be added in a battalion I think they would be okish or a buff but without that hmm 

The rules writers really phoned it in with these guys. Exact same spell as the existing Rotbringers Sorcerer is so lazy. And the Blightkings with her are identical to standard ones, except that bodyguard ability.

In short, nothing to get excited about. And 180 is a bit steep for a 1 cast Wizard (even with the once per battle 2 cast)

I disagree her being bad addition. She has +1 to her wounds and +1 to her save compared to regular sorcerer. If we take into account that she can also once per battle double cast, then compared to standard sorcerer she'd be about 140 without her bodyguards. Of course whether or not original sorcerer is worth 120 is another topic, but even if original was worth 100, this would be 120, which would mean that you only pay 40-60 for 2 blightkings which in both cases is a bargain compared to normal blight king costs (and making her pretty damn tough as a wizard thanks to the bodyguard rule). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, angrycontra said:

I disagree her being bad addition. She has +1 to her wounds and +1 to her save compared to regular sorcerer. If we take into account that she can also once per battle double cast, then compared to standard sorcerer she'd be about 140 without her bodyguards. Of course whether or not original sorcerer is worth 120 is another topic, but even if original was worth 100, this would be 120, which would mean that you only pay 40-60 for 2 blightkings which in both cases is a bargain compared to normal blight king costs (and making her pretty damn tough as a wizard thanks to the bodyguard rule). 

It's 2 drops more... No bonus to spellcasting... And if I need a spell like blades... If you want to have this at all... Than a normal sorcerer is sufficient... 

Don't know why I ever should take these guys over e.g. An epitome ally for 200... Only competive spoken of course! Style etc I like it very much and I will use this warband as blightkings for sure :)