AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 1/12/2020 at 7:12 AM, Fazhak said:

So, bit of an update on the Pestilent Throng list.

Overall, good stuff. The speed at which the force engages the opposition and claims objectives is really tough to overcome. With only three drops, a lot of armies end up going second. Being able to set the terms of the battle, tying up opposing forces while claiming objectives from the onset, greatly helps determine the pace of the encounter.

I ended up switching this force's realm of origin to Aqshy, so that I could swap the Great Unclean One's "The Endless Gift" artefact for the realm's "Thermalrider Cloak." With the Doomsday Bell's bonus to speed included, my general now usually moves at least 12", prior to potential run or bonus from the Cycle of Corruption. I wanted it to be able to keep up with my warherd units, so that it can more consistently be in range to heal those units via Plague Wind. As impressive as "The Endless Gift" can be, the extra speed (plus flight) is likely more useful and fun.

For the nerdy(er) aspect of the game, I imagine my army being from a fever swamp of the Realm of Fire, with the Great Unclean One having become almost bestial itself, a creature of rabid and mind-destroying disease, such that the Beasts of Chaos are drawn to its service and the list's sorcerer serves as its only steward and vassal to the speaking world. Not a bad concept, I think, to give the list a bit of character and depth.

The list (prior to this post's noted artefact swap) is posted above on this page. With this new change, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. Happy gaming!

I love your list and would like to read more about it in the future.  It sounds like you did well when rushing forward turn 1 to sit on objectives, is that the basic plan?  Did you have issues against certain armies?  A nurgle beasts of chaos army is right up my alley and is probably what will get me to buy into chaos.

19 hours ago, Oceanic_Eyes said:

Just saw this on the Warhammer Underworlds subbredit posted by u/lazylurky.

Apparently from the new White Dwarf, looks like the upcoming warband. I'm hype, they look wonderful.

wppu299vq0b41.jpg

Looks like a rotbringer sorcerer to me. Might be what pushes me over the edge and into breaking out my Maggotkin again. I've got a unit of blightkings I've been meaning to paint up anyways.

• Like 1

Hope they update the battletome in the near future. Doesn't need to be much just little tweaks and adjustments here and there but playing any tournaments or more competetive friendly games just feel like a pain with a mostly maggotkin related Armee (no 120 marauders or monks or there like). 

And to make it even worse all the new StD full nurgle armees out there which can use our trees we can't target them with our dmg spells and our ability heals them and the best of it all there nurgle abilities like the battalion D3 per hero Phase can dmg other nurgle units :D its just too funny to heal them up with your blightkings wheel stage7 or give them plus 2 move plus run and charge with the trees ah and not to forget stage 2 +1 to wound for the whole std Armee....

OK sorry, just had a bad match up yesterday VS 2 drop std nurgle Armee and felt like I didn't need to start the game at all (and I didn't play thricefold which would have been even worse haha) 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

For those interested in running a Pestilent Throng battalion...

Over in the Beasts of Chaos discussion thread, players recently asked for an account of how Beasts of Chaos play out of different Chaos God allegiances. In the past, others requested the same.

I started a new thread to address this issue. I provide a quick overview of each allegiance, as well as the Beasts of Chaos allegiance itself, in that thread.

Here's a link: 

Hope it is helpful and interesting. I look forward to the conversation!

Hey guys/girls and people who switch once in a while plus people who identify as objects such as dragons, elfs hobbits and helicopters etc. and also people in transition, 

I have been dabbling/inspired for a competitive Nurgle/STD plaugetouched bat. and I would like some feedback. 

The overall strategy is to push forward and then let my enemy bleed himself out on my forces.  The 

The list is Called "Nurgles Green Blender" 

LEADERS

Chaos sorcerer Lord - 110

The Contorted Epitome - 200

Harbringer of Decay - 160

*General

Sorcerer - 120

BATTLELINE

40 X Marauders - 300

20 X Chaos Warriors - 400

5 X Chaos Warriors - 100

OTHERS

Warshrine - 170

5 X Chaos Marauders Horesemen - 90

2 X Chaos Spawn -  100

9X Untamed beast - 70

Battalion

Plaguetouched Warband - 180

totall 2000 - 5 drops.

22 hours ago, Fjenden said:

Hey guys/girls and people who switch once in a while plus people who identify as objects such as dragons, elfs hobbits and helicopters etc. and also people in transition, 

I have been dabbling/inspired for a competitive Nurgle/STD plaugetouched bat. and I would like some feedback. 

The overall strategy is to push forward and then let my enemy bleed himself out on my forces.  The 

The list is Called "Nurgles Green Blender" 

LEADERS

Chaos sorcerer Lord - 110

The Contorted Epitome - 200

Harbringer of Decay - 160

*General

Sorcerer - 120

BATTLELINE

40 X Marauders - 300

20 X Chaos Warriors - 400

5 X Chaos Warriors - 100

OTHERS

Warshrine - 170

5 X Chaos Marauders Horesemen - 90

2 X Chaos Spawn -  100

9X Untamed beast - 70

Battalion

Plaguetouched Warband - 180

totall 2000 - 5 drops.

Can the untamed Beasts take a mark? If not, they are a) allies and b) you need another unit for your battalion. The 1 hero does not count towards the 7 mortal units. This seems to catch people out - i looked at the LVO S2D lists and saw at least two Plaguetouched with 1 hero + 6 other units.

1 hour ago, Dreadmund said:

Woooow, a female Rotbringer! She looks incredible. I hope they have good rules for AoS, but if they don't I will convert her into a sorcerer so I can use the model on the table.

In the great tradition of Underworlds AoS rules, the Blightkings will have 1 wound each and have a melee profile of 4+/4+/-/1 and the spell on the sorceress will go off on a 7 and give a unit something lame like reroll saves of 1.

Seriously, I pray to the dark gods that the spell gives +1 damage to a unit of BKs, or something along those lines.

57 minutes ago, TheVenerableBede said:

Looks like a 40mm base though, which is bigger than the Sorcerer's.

Bit of creative basing and you can fit it on a 25mm I reckon. It’s an effort worth undertaking for that sculpt. Comes a close second in the hottest woman in AoS. Beaten only by the Troggoth Hag of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Surely it’s the new proxy Sorcerer? I know my finecast will never see the light of day once she’s out. Great model. 

The staff on mine snapped off and the idea of pinning it back on is too much to bear. This chonker will be my new sorcerer fo sho.

24 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Bit of creative basing and you can fit it on a 25mm I reckon. It’s an effort worth undertaking for that sculpt. Comes a close second in the hottest woman in AoS. Beaten only by the Troggoth Hag of course. 

Sorcerer is on 32mm i think so should be easier. 

Edited by hughwyeth
  • Like 1

Hey, all. With our BK's now exploding on unmodified 6's, I'm feeling a mixed list. Going for competitive. My usual list is TFB, with 2 bricks of PB's, which I love and won't keave home without. Here's what I'm thinking.

2x30 PB's-640

GUO w/Blade, Bell, Tome of 1k Poxes, Favoured Poxes, Grandfather's Blessing-340

3x5 BK's-480

Lord of Blights-140

Harbinger w/Witherstave-160

Chaos Spawn-50

Blight Cyst-140

Extra CP-50

Pretty straight forward. The BK's rush the main force, reek havoc and get killed, while the PB's take objectives and hold them. My optiins are Plague Cyst or Blight Cyst, and whether or not I want to mess with Harbinger. 

6 hours ago, TheVenerableBede said:

Looks like a 40mm base though, which is bigger than the Sorcerer's.

My only concern since she does seem to fill that base out width wise. Though my only real desire for a sorcerer is in a 2 drop Blight Cyst (Gutrot Spume) so if their warscrolls are good enough I might just take the unit as is. The other dudes would make good Plague Lords/Blight Lords but I don't need a bunch of those and their regular sculpts are good enough.

Helping a friend prep for a tournament. He's bringing a Slayer list, so my plan has been to make a list with as much MW output as possible to trim those heroes down asap.

Who has experience of taking on Slayers and what should I look to do. He's bringing a 2x20 of hearthguard list with plenty heroes.

Nurgle 2k Vs Fireslayers.PDF

Edited by Cchalmers

8 hours ago, Cchalmers said:

Helping a friend prep for a tournament. He's bringing a Slayer list, so my plan has been to make a list with as much MW output as possible to trim those heroes down asap.

Who has experience of taking on Slayers and what should I look to do. He's bringing a 2x20 of hearthguard list with plenty heroes.

Nurgle 2k Vs Fireslayers.PDF 831.85 kB · 3 downloads

I play against Fyreslayers loads.  The only real weak spot they have is if they do not have a Runelord ally, or something similar, then they are susceptible to magic. I never fight them without the Geminids and Aethervoid Pendulum.

Next, never engage HGBs in a fight if they have any heroes still on the battlefield. They simply will not die and will obliterate any units you have, even PBs with -2 to hit from LoB. Play the objectives, use summoning to get units where your opponent is not.

And if you play Duality of Death and he can out drop you, don't even bother taking your models out of their cases.

48 minutes ago, TheVenerableBede said:

I play against Fyreslayers loads.  The only real weak spot they have is if they do not have a Runelord ally, or something similar, then they are susceptible to magic. I never fight them without the Geminids and Aethervoid Pendulum.

Next, never engage HGBs in a fight if they have any heroes still on the battlefield. They simply will not die and will obliterate any units you have, even PBs with -2 to hit from LoB. Play the objectives, use summoning to get units where your opponent is not.

And if you play Duality of Death and he can out drop you, don't even bother taking your models out of their cases.

So he doesn't have a runelord, hence the three casters and GUO getting up to +2, but I'm worried I'm not optimising the spells I'm using. Unfortunately I don't have any endless spells other than a Wildfire Taurus which I guess could be quite useful if I got an ally great bray shaman.