AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

48 minutes ago, decker_cky said:

Interestingly, you can now take a minimum blessed sons which includes a minimum blight cyst (so 3 rend units of blight kings, 4 plague aura units of blight kings), which gives the armour rerolls to the army, including the blight cyst.

I may be wrong but I think blessed son battalion was with the plague cyst and not the blight cyst? Which is really sad... 

Blight cyst within blessed son would be great. 40 points for extra CP, extra artefact and reroll ones for saves... 

I'll take it!

The plague cyst on the other hand is not that interesting. 

4 minutes ago, Zplash said:

I may be wrong but I think blessed son battalion was with the plague cyst and not the blight cyst? Which is really sad... 

Blight cyst within blessed son would be great. 40 points for extra CP, extra artefact and reroll ones for saves... 

I'll take it!

The plague cyst on the other hand is not that interesting. 

Blight cyst is a 4 unit of blightkings plague cyst with a sorcerer and harbinger, but it can also include 0-6 additional cysts, and any number of additional rotbringers. 

So take plague cyst with 4 blightkings and necessary characters as the required units of the blessed sons, then add a full blight cyst as an optional part of blessed sons. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dracan said:

Find it, lets say peculiar... that they made kings/lords and lord of plagues unmodified sixes but left blades of putrification unmodified.

They probably forgot it existed. I get the impression none of the developers are too aware of Maggotkin considering Plague Cyst and Blight Cyst are still the same points value :P.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Oceanic_Eyes said:

See I've always been a Plague Cyst fan myself, and now that unmodified 6s to hit are going to be extra important for Blightkings, the extra rerolls might end up being really handy.

Unfortunately it's only all failed hit rolls, so only ones and twos. 

Reroll hits would be golden, always fishing for the sixes hehe :) sorry for dreaming too much. At least we got some more points to spend with the battalion reduction. So for me it looks like still tallyband but with 60 point more to play 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zplash said:

Unfortunately it's only all failed hit rolls, so only ones and twos. 

Reroll hits would be golden, always fishing for the sixes hehe :) sorry for dreaming too much. At least we got some more points to spend with the battalion reduction. So for me it looks like still tallyband but with 60 point more to play 

How do you like Tallyband? I've thought about trying it out a few times

55 minutes ago, Oceanic_Eyes said:

See I've always been a Plague Cyst fan myself, and now that unmodified 6s to hit are going to be extra important for Blightkings, the extra rerolls might end up being really handy.

Why? All your paying for is rerolling 2s on your plague lords aura instead of just 1s. Swap out the Plague Lord for a Blight Lord and you get a battalion that is better in every single way.

12 minutes ago, Forrix said:

Why? All your paying for is rerolling 2s on your plague lords aura instead of just 1s. Swap out the Plague Lord for a Blight Lord and you get a battalion that is better in every single way.

There's also the MW aura that's part of Plague Cyst. 

Its also naive to consider Plague Cyst without including the benefits of the Blessed Sons, which make for a much better comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Forrix said:

What decker_cky said. I know it's unreliable, but I enjoy two sources of potential D3 mortal wounds on my kings when they're stuck in combat, and the rerolls are always fun. I also find a Lord of Plagues works better in my lists than a Lord of Blights (I tend to run smaller units). My playgroup also likes to run units where rend is less useful against, and if I need to crack tough saves I rely on the Rustfang artifact or Festus' unique spell, though the Festus spell can be tricky to get off. So yeah I don't disagree Blight Cyst is more competitive, I just find I like what Plague Cyst brings, both as I find the abilities cooler, and they work well in my playgroup.

51 minutes ago, decker_cky said:

Its also naive to consider Plague Cyst without including the benefits of the Blessed Sons, which make for a much better comparison. 

I'd say its naïve to consider the benefits of Blessed Sons in 2k lists prior to today which was the context of the question...

With the new book seeing if I can get something to contend with the OBR that are dominating right now.

S2D DP General. Axe. Pestilent Breath. Endless Gift (Tempted to make his Talons a Rune Blade for the -3 Rend)

Gutrot

Sorceror on Manticore. Plague Squall (if he's out of range for Wind)

Lord of Blights Rustfang

15 Warriors Sword/Board

10 Blightkings

5 Blightkings x3

Blight Cyst

The Nurgle Command Ability and Manticore spell are a godsend against those Morteks.

In a perfect world I'd find a way to get a LoA in there to hold the Rustfang but not sure how to swing it.

Edited by Eldarain

It's a nice round of changes- the batallions were always nice but now seem almost auto-include. Not making the unmodified 6 apply to blades of putrefaction is weird- but perhaps it's just their desire to move people to the newer mortal models instead of the older daemon models. It does feel a little like an incomplete update, but that's understandable i suppose. I think points wise Nurgle still need a big discount- 120 for 10 plaguebearers is laughable compared to something like phoenix guard. If we take plaguebearers as the standard, phoenix guard should be 240 points for 10. 100/260pts for plaguebearers seems totally reasonable to me. GUO still seems overcosted, but in it's optimal configuration it sort of auto-include in some lists. 

It does make me want to have 30 blightkings now to play some Cyst battalions though.

18 hours ago, decker_cky said:

Blight cyst is a 4 unit of blightkings plague cyst with a sorcerer and harbinger, but it can also include 0-6 additional cysts, and any number of additional rotbringers. 

So take plague cyst with 4 blightkings and necessary characters as the required units of the blessed sons, then add a full blight cyst as an optional part of blessed sons. 

You are incorrect here. Blight cyst is 3-6 kings. A blessed sons list cannot go into a blight cyst. The blessed sons is the battalion which can allow "any number of other rotbringer units"

I am tempted by something like this:

Great Unclean one w/ Bell and Blade, Favored Poxes, Witherstave
Lord of Plagues, Rustfang
Sorcerer, Blades of Putrefaction
Harbinger of Decay, General, Endless Gift
20 x Blightkings
5 x Blightkings
5 x Blightkings
5 x Blightkings

Plague Cyst
Blessed Sons

2000/2000

The idea is to use a command point to run the unit of 20 Blightkings up the field on the first turn, tag the tree and then have another command point available to re roll the charge. 4 Inch move, +3 from GUO, +6 Run, potentially +2 from wheel and then an average charge roll of 8 (7+1 from musician) makes for a fairly nice threat range. Hopefully they will have blades of putrefaction too. I can place my sorcerer way back in deployment out of unbind range to set that up. Then they try to tag as much of the enemy army as possible with a big, single activation punch. Not going to wipe things off the board, but it will hopefully cause enough damage to slow them down and more importantly it will tie up most of the enemy army for 2 or 3 turns as they chew through 20 BKs with Reroll 6's to hit, 4+ Save, Rerolling 1's to save, 5+ after save. The other 3 units of BKs stand on objectives and try to defend against any small weak objective grabbers like skinks and horrors that might be summoned or fly past the BKs.

Probably not the most competitive list, but it sounds like a lot of fun. I would be taking it to a team tournament where I am hopefully more likely to be paired with a list that will struggle to chop through the kings in time to compete on objectives.

24 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

I am tempted by something like this:

Great Unclean one w/ Bell and Blade, Favored Poxes, Witherstave
Lord of Plagues, Rustfang
Sorcerer, Blades of Putrefaction
Harbinger of Decay, General, Endless Gift
20 x Blightkings
5 x Blightkings
5 x Blightkings
5 x Blightkings

Plague Cyst
Blessed Sons

2000/2000

The idea is to use a command point to run the unit of 20 Blightkings up the field on the first turn, tag the tree and then have another command point available to re roll the charge. 4 Inch move, +3 from GUO, +6 Run, potentially +2 from wheel and then an average charge roll of 8 (7+1 from musician) makes for a fairly nice threat range. Hopefully they will have blades of putrefaction too. I can place my sorcerer way back in deployment out of unbind range to set that up. Then they try to tag as much of the enemy army as possible with a big, single activation punch. Not going to wipe things off the board, but it will hopefully cause enough damage to slow them down and more importantly it will tie up most of the enemy army for 2 or 3 turns as they chew through 20 BKs with Reroll 6's to hit, 4+ Save, Rerolling 1's to save, 5+ after save. The other 3 units of BKs stand on objectives and try to defend against any small weak objective grabbers like skinks and horrors that might be summoned or fly past the BKs.

Probably not the most competitive list, but it sounds like a lot of fun. I would be taking it to a team tournament where I am hopefully more likely to be paired with a list that will struggle to chop through the kings in time to compete on objectives.

Don't you prefer gutrot + 20 BK + cogs?

2 minutes ago, peasant said:

Don't you prefer gutrot + 20 BK + cogs?

I would in other events. Sadly the tournament says no duplicate warscrolls between team-members and my Seraphon friend wants cogs for his Slann. So I'd need to roll at least an 8 on my charge roll. I'm also concerned that with such a large group of BKs, Gutrot is easier to zone out. If I know that 20 blightkings are dropping on a board edge in the first turn, I am obviously going to deploy in such a way as to minimize their effectiveness. This way seems more reliable without cogs just because it can't be shut down like that.

1 hour ago, Dreadmund said:

I would in other events. Sadly the tournament says no duplicate warscrolls between team-members and my Seraphon friend wants cogs for his Slann. So I'd need to roll at least an 8 on my charge roll. I'm also concerned that with such a large group of BKs, Gutrot is easier to zone out. If I know that 20 blightkings are dropping on a board edge in the first turn, I am obviously going to deploy in such a way as to minimize their effectiveness. This way seems more reliable without cogs just because it can't be shut down like that.

Yeah you are right

5 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Is there any way to include some of this new STD goodness in Nurgle allegiance then? Was hoping to include a Daemon Prince or the Shrine but the buffs only work on STD units, so... Marauders? Shame the models are so awful. 

Yeah marauders are probably the best bet for Nurgle. I've seen some conversions from ghouls, poxwalkers, and reavers that all look pretty good if you hate the models. 

Chaos knights could be pretty good as well, they get really fast in Nurgle and offer a little more consistency than plague drones for example. 

Edited by Grimrock

I just got ass kicked by a dual Keepers list vs my Thricefold and Blight cyst. The game was going in my favour until I made a goofy mistake and accidentally left 2 of my GUO exposed to getting jumped by a keeper each.  Whither stave was very useful in neutering the Keepers but sadly the GUO holding it was the first one that got sniped.

Has anyone had luck fighting Slaanesh with Nurgle? This was the closest I have ever come to beating Slaanesh.  Objective wise I got shafted by shifting objectives which if it hadn't switched I might have also got the win.

Just recognized that the new std will probably will be 80% nurgle marked and therewith in a match vs us (nurgle) get every benefit from our wheel too (+2 move, +1 to wound, heal, we can't dmg them with stage 6) and blightkings heal them D3 instead dmg them after rolling a 6...

They can use our trees for run and charge and still can block contagion points (there the wording is enemy model) but can't get 1 damn mortal wound if we manage to roll 4+ :D

Ah those game designers... You just have to love them... I mean these situation/rule is dumb. 

• Haha 1