AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I feel a little bad for not getting a nicely painted Tamurkhan at a good price on ebay a few months ago.

That said if you pick Tamurkhans Allegiance with your maggotkin, you must use their command trait instead of a maggotkin command trait and your first hero to get an artifact must take the one from tamurkhans allegiance so your choices get limited for getting the extra "Winds of Corruption" ability with your army.

• Like 1

It definitely has some limitations. I don't think you can include maggotkin formations (not specifically allowed, so FAQ killing plaguetouched applies here) or named characters (explicitly don't gain tamurkhan keyword, so can't be taken in allegiance), and you can't include nurgle slaves to darkness or everchosen units, so it is a tradeoff.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Ok, this might be a dumb question, but with all the new rules/wordings, is Tamurkhans horde still considered Nurgle as far as trees, spells, wheel etc?

Yes. Its your second Allegiance ability lol.

6 minutes ago, decker_cky said:

It definitely has some limitations. I don't think you can include maggotkin formations (not specifically allowed, so FAQ killing plaguetouched applies here) or named characters (explicitly don't gain tamurkhan keyword, so can't be taken in allegiance), and you can't include nurgle slaves to darkness or everchosen units, so it is a tradeoff.

A tradeoff lol. There is nothing that doesnt allow you to thake anything you like.

Edited by Killax
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Killax said:

Yes. Its your second Allegiance ability lol.

A tradeoff lol. There is nothing that doesnt allow you to thake anything you like.

So a "pure" Nurgle build (oxymoron if I ever saw one?) can contain anything from the Tamurkhans horde, StD (marked Nurgle) demons or rot bringers. Sounds like a great big pile of Nurgle-y fun to me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Locien83 said:

Wow.....

New Forgeworld warscrolls are up. Haven't had a lot of time to go through them all... but the Exalted Great Unclean one took a massive hit!!

Unless I am missing something I have no idea why you would play it over the standard one anymore...

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/fw_warscrolls/aos-monstrous-arcanum.pdf

That is really too bad.  It wasn't worth the points difference before but at least it was good.  Now it is just worse for way more points compared to the regular GUO.  I really don't get how they do rules/points sometimes...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

That is really too bad.  It wasn't worth the points difference before but at least it was good.  Now it is just worse for way more points compared to the regular GUO.  I really don't get how they do rules/points sometimes...

I agree, trying to remain positive, but can’t see what it gets for that extra 120 pts beyond 2” extra move... 

extra attack on the sword but doesn’t have any other weapon profile like the regular GUO

same save, wounds, shooting, regen, abilities etc 

(no buff options though bell/dagger etc)

Seems like a more expensive model (points and £) with worse rules? 

Odd business decision or just mistake??

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Locien83 said:

I agree, trying to remain positive, but can’t see what it gets for that extra 120 pts beyond 2” extra move... 

extra attack on the sword but doesn’t have any other weapon profile like the regular GUO

same save, wounds, shooting, regen, abilities etc 

(no buff options though bell/dagger etc)

Seems like a more expensive model (points and £) with worse rules? 

Odd business decision or just mistake??

+140 actually. Also, technically, the Exalted has a WORSE  noxious bile shooting attack because it will eventually degrade down to a 5+ to wound, where as the GW version only degrades down to 4+ to wound. 

Just now, sal4m4nd3r said:

+140 actually. Also, technically, the Exalted has a WORSE  noxious bile shooting attack because it will eventually degrade down to a 5+ to wound, where as the GW version only degrades down to 4+ to wound. 

It’s utterly bizarre isn’t it!

so much so that I’ve actually dropped an email to Forgeworld just to see if there was an error made?

• Sad 1

The free Tamurkhan sub-allegeance is a massive buff in my opinion. The move/charge debuff largely compensate the crappy command trait and item. And remember... it's free !

But the most crazy stuff is the new Kazyk profile. It's now an auto-include for me !

2 hours ago, Tasman said:

So a "pure" Nurgle build (oxymoron if I ever saw one?) can contain anything from the Tamurkhans horde, StD (marked Nurgle) demons or rot bringers. Sounds like a great big pile of Nurgle-y fun to me.

Yup

You basically have two Allegiance Abilities for the price of none! :D 
So yeah, certainly enjoy your new army! As you arn't only a Maggotkin Player but now more a Maggotkin Tamukan Horde Hyper Deluxe player.

But Im out. Its fun to see FW and GW have their biases but there is absolutely no reason to not play this with Nurgle and basically skip even what Tzeentch has to offer.

• Like 1

They will probably nerf them mammoth next year , like they did with the Exalted Greater Unclean one this time, even if it doesn't see any tournaments.

I didn't even expect to see it included in this year's document since they phase out everything they don't sell so it was a big surprise to see it get a retouch.

Especially since it is a model out of production that they no longer sell, i don't have faith in them keeping it a "reasonable" warscroll in a future revision.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Infernalslayer said:

They will probably nerf them mammoth next year , like they did with the Exalted Greater Unclean one this time, even if it doesn't see any tournaments.

I didn't even expect to see it included in this year's document since they phase out everything they don't sell so it was a big surprise to see it get a retouch.

Especially since it is a model out of production that they no longer sell, i don't have faith in them keeping it a "reasonable" warscroll in a future revision.

I predict we may see it re-released like the rogue idol.

especially if rumours of a Slaves/everchosen battletome are true

5 minutes ago, Killax said:

320 points for the Mammoth in Nurgle is the best.

But hey, it's a nice meme edition to be in. Welcome Nurgle, you new Tzeentch now! :D 

With everything in the Maggotkin battletome costing a lot of points (not overcosted in any way, just high point costs as the warscrolls are good) i don't think anyone would have an extra 320 points for a mammoth if they wanted to play in very competitive environments.

So this is just a welcome addition for those that want more miniatures to play with, nothing that would break Nurgle.

Khorne is my largest and first AoS army so i know how you feel, i am very disappointed with how they (didn't) handle Khorne this edition as well. 

12 minutes ago, Locien83 said:

I predict we may see it re-released like the rogue idol.

especially if rumours of a Slaves/everchosen battletome are true

I hope so as it is a gorgeous model and i have been long desiring one, putting on hold any conversions that cross my mind for custom mammoths as they wouldn't be as big as the real deal.

Still not sure if i should put my faith on Forgeworld and buy more miniatures from them, if they intend to make massive changes to warscrolls with every revision, unless this was a unique occasion in cooperation with GW rules team in preparation for the new edition.

Edited by Infernalslayer

31 minutes ago, Killax said:

Yup

You basically have two Allegiance Abilities for the price of none! :D 
So yeah, certainly enjoy your new army! As you arn't only a Maggotkin Player but now more a Maggotkin Tamukan Horde Hyper Deluxe player.

But Im out. Its fun to see FW and GW have their biases but there is absolutely no reason to not play this with Nurgle and basically skip even what Tzeentch has to offer.

But you HAVE to take the woefully poor command trait and woefully mediocre artifact so it is a trade-off.  I'm not sure its worth it to get a -1 run/charge enemy debuff. It would mean you cant take the AWESOME Grandfathers blessing command trait, or the BROKEN endless gift, witherstave, carrion dirge etc...

I probably WONT be using the extra Tamurkhans allegiance ability for this reason. 

42 minutes ago, Infernalslayer said:

With everything in the Maggotkin battletome costing a lot of points (not overcosted in any way, just high point costs as the warscrolls are good) i don't think anyone would have an extra 320 points for a mammoth if they wanted to play in very competitive environments.

So this is just a welcome addition for those that want more miniatures to play with, nothing that would break Nurgle.

Khorne is my largest and first AoS army so i know how you feel, i am very disappointed with how they (didn't) handle Khorne this edition as well. 

Highly costed, really!

Blightkings have remained at 160 points for 5, that is an absolute steal!!

The fact that none of the points went up in GHB18 is amazing, given how lethal Nurgle are, my win rate is 24 for 3  and I wouldn't consider myself a great player nor my opponents slouches.

Given what's happened to Khorne points I think Nurgle have been completely overlooked in terms of points re-balance. I was expecting 180 or even 200 for the PBK.

A little sad that Toads are nowhere near as resilient as before, but that just makes multiple PBK's an auto-include.

Not just that but multiple big heroes units could offer some nasty combos - Archaon, Rotigus/GUO and Glottkin plus Harbinger will be horrendous and all for a mere 1560 points. throw in some cheap battleline and Endless Spells and its going to get really tasty!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Anybody going to the AoS open day tomorrow that could ask in person about why the Exalted Great Unclean One May have been nerfed so dramatically?

It just seems strange to me that it is worse than the plastic one and costs more both ijnpoints and £

8 minutes ago, fredster4050 said:

Highly costed, really!

Blightkings have remained at 160 points for 5, that is an absolute steal!!

The fact that none of the points went up in GHB18 is amazing, given how lethal Nurgle are, my win rate is 24 for 3  and I wouldn't consider myself a great player nor my opponents slouches.

Given what's happened to Khorne points I think Nurgle have been completely overlooked in terms of points re-balance. I was expecting 180 or even 200 for the PBK.

A little sad that Toads are nowhere near as resilient as before, but that just makes multiple PBK's an auto-include.

Not just that but multiple big heroes units could offer some nasty combos - Archaon, Rotigus/GUO and Glottkin plus Harbinger will be horrendous and all for a mere 1560 points. throw in some cheap battleline and Endless Spells and its going to get really tasty!

Indeed, i said that generally all the units in the Maggotkin Battletome have high costs because the warscrolls are good so the points are fair, they are not overcosted. My comment was a response above, that someone finding 320 points left to include the Chaos War Mammoth in a nurgle army is not likely if they want to play competitive Nurgle ?

Interesting that You don't have to take any forgeworld stuff to use the Tamurkhan allegiance.  Also, you get 400 points of allies, and the nurgle battle traits are such that all nurgle units benefit from them, regardless of wether they are part of your army or not. So:

Take your nurgle army, the named heros can not exceed 400 points and cannot be your general (they are allies)
Make it Tamurkhan Allegiance. 

It's situational, but it's free flexibility that we just got. Pretty cool.