AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Going to a 1k doubles tournament soon. I think I'm going to lean into being the anvil to my partner's hammer, so my list at the moment looks like this:

General: Lord of Blights - 140pts
Poxbringer w/ Favoured Poxes and Witherstave - 120pts
30x Plaguebearers - 320pts
Balewind Vortex - 40pts
Extra Command Point - 50pts

990/1000pts

The Lord of Blights is my general to give him look out sir. I plan to buff the plaguebearers to double up on their minuses to hit with Lord of Blight's command ability, with the Poxbringer standing near one group of them to give off the witherstave debuff and activate their locus. While I hold objectives and act as a tarpit, my partner can try and cripple the enemy heroes with deepstrike shenanigans. Balewind is there to get the most out of the Poxbringer.

Any feedback on this? Definitely concerned that the Lord of Blights has a big "Kill Me" sign on his back.

2 hours ago, Dreadmund said:

General: Lord of Blights - 140pts
Poxbringer w/ Favoured Poxes and Witherstave - 120pts
Balewind Vortex - 40pts
Extra Command Point - 50pts

990/1000pts

Any feedback on this? Definitely concerned that the Lord of Blights has a big "Kill Me" sign on his back.

To be honest it gonna be a little bit boring for you i could imagine. Standing there makin save rolls, if the opponent hits at all, with the debuffs you have.

But it is a tactic, and obviously every opponent with a little sense would indeed focus on the lord of blights. So why not run two LoB’s and ditch the poxbringer and decide, based on deployment and how the game develops on which unit you will use the CA of the LoB.

I realize you dont have acces to the witherstave in the setup I propose.

2 minutes ago, Fluxlord said:

To be honest it gonna be a little bit boring for you i could imagine. Standing there makin save rolls, if the opponent hits at all, with the debuffs you have.

But it is a tactic, and obviously every opponent with a little sense would indeed focus on the lord of blights. So why not run two LoB’s and ditch the poxbringer and decide, based on deployment and how the game develops on which unit you will use the CA of the LoB.

I realize you dont have acces to the witherstave in the setup I propose.

Yeah losing the witherstave is a huge pain, it really changes fights in your favour a lot.  I could take muttergrub on one of the lord of blights for foul regenesis though. I get that it will be boring but with nurgle where it is right now I sort of feel like i need to choose between being boring or just being a dead weight to my partner.

22 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

Yeah losing the witherstave is a huge pain, it really changes fights in your favour a lot.  I could take muttergrub on one of the lord of blights for foul regenesis though. 

Exactly my thoughts.

And honestly my list would even be more boring, at least in your list you can do some magic and throw some mortal wounds from you PB’s with poxbringer inbuild spell. 👌

• Like 1

Well for better or for worse I don't exactly expect Nurgle to get updated for a few good calendar quarters, so I picked up a pretty pristine copy of the book at a HPB for $5! Strangely it was $8 normally (then I added a +40% coupon.) Meanwhile they still wanted like $13 for the classic beasts of chaos book.

Time to spread the rot!

Edited by kenshin620

Well still thinking a list for 24 players tournament, what do you think

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Lord of Afflictions (200)
- General
- Trait: Resilient
- Artefact: The Endless Gift
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Units
3 x Nurglings (100)

Total: 1240 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

plan is to tank a lot with the LoA. Leaving ,I Hope, room to the blightkings to hit.
thanks in advance

Edited by peasant

On 11/10/2019 at 10:19 PM, peasant said:

Leaders
- General
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline

Units
3 x Nurglings (100)

plan is to tank a lot with the LoA. Leaving ,I Hope, room to the blightkings to hit.
thanks in advance

I´m not sure about the Nurglings. I played them several times and more often than not there was no cover providing terrain to deepstrike in.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 10:55 PM, Hannibal said:

I´m not sure about the Nurglings. I played them several times and more often than not there was no cover providing terrain to deepstrike in.

I was wondering at what points value they'd be viable. I don't think I'd even take them at 50pts. A pendulum would do way more damage.

On 11/10/2019 at 10:19 PM, peasant said:

Leaders
- General
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline

Units
3 x Nurglings (100)

thanks in advance

Sadly, 'tanky' is no longer a word we can use with much confidence when talking about Nurgle these days. To be tanky in the current meta you need +s to save, as well as a dpr. Other factions also get access to 4+ dprs these daysz which makes a huge difference.

Hi guys,

What you think about this? I'm gona to take this list for tournament upcoming week. 

Leaders
Festus the Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Gift of Contagion
Rotigus (340)
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: The Witherstave
The Contorted Epitome (200)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes & Shields

Units
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Suffocating Gravetide (20)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 200 / 400
Wounds: 168

1 hour ago, Ajas said:

Hi guys,

What you think about this? I'm gona to take this list for tournament upcoming week. 

Leaders
Rotigus (340)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Allies

Battleline
- Axes & Shields

Units

Balewind Vortex (40)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Is the event taking place using realm spells?

2 hours ago, Ajas said:

Hi guys,

Leaders
Rotigus (340)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Allies

Battleline
- Axes & Shields

Units

Balewind Vortex (40)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Perhaps use Blades of Putrefaction instead of Gift of Contagion? It goes well with Marauders because on a 4+ they can get +1 to hit.

Also remember that Favoured Poxes breaks when your caster moves or casts another spell. With Rotigus a 2 cast wizard, you run the danger of wasting casts if you keep the Poxes spell going (it seems a waste to take Rotigus and not try and cast Deluge every turn).

I am a fan of pendulum, so personally I would take that over the Balewind here.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Is the event taking place using realm spells?

Yeah forgot that - I will take infernal blades ( only 1 realm spell allowed)

1 minute ago, TheVenerableBede said:

Perhaps use Blades of Putrefaction instead of Gift of Contagion? It goes well with Marauders because on a 4+ they can get +1 to hit.

Also remember that Favoured Poxes breaks when your caster moves or casts another spell. With Rotigus a 2 cast wizard, you run the danger of wasting casts if you keep the Poxes spell going (it seems a waste to take Rotigus and not try and cast Deluge every turn).

I am a fan of pendulum, so personally I would take that over the Balewind here.

In my opinion blades are not so great. First off all they work on 5+ on marauders. Second - marauders dies a lot. Third in current meta there is ton of -1 to hit , and nurgle is in bad spot when it's come to warscroll power. So in my opinion we have to depend on debuffs to bring enemy warscroll close to our power. So geminis+Poxes+Gift + palisade are very strong debuffs tools. 
I think there is no point on taking other demons spells - quite bad effects. Poxes can be use as second spell if Rotigus have no clean way to charge or is locked in combat. Then if enemy get double turn the poxes effect is stoping his strongest unit preaty hard.  Next turn deepend on what happened Rotigus can cast Deluge or just still keep poxes up. 

And i dont have pendulum :(

24 minutes ago, Ajas said:

Yeah forgot that - I will take infernal blades ( only 1 realm spell allowed)

In my opinion blades are not so great. First off all they work on 5+ on marauders. Second - marauders dies a lot. Third in current meta there is ton of -1 to hit , and nurgle is in bad spot when it's come to warscroll power. So in my opinion we have to depend on debuffs to bring enemy warscroll close to our power. So geminis+Poxes+Gift + palisade are very strong debuffs tools. 
I think there is no point on taking other demons spells - quite bad effects. Poxes can be use as second spell if Rotigus have no clean way to charge or is locked in combat. Then if enemy get double turn the poxes effect is stoping his strongest unit preaty hard.  Next turn deepend on what happened Rotigus can cast Deluge or just still keep poxes up. 

And i dont have pendulum :(

I think I would drop the geminids, palisade, gravetide and add in a poxbringer with favored poxes, and give glorious afflictions to Rotigus. With all those debuffs that could come back and bit you in the bum, that would be counterproductive to casting inferno blades on blightkings! Nice mix of debuff and offisive output here. 

I am in such limbo in terms of list writing right now! I'm waiting for both the StD battletome to drop and see all the new chnages and warscrolls, but also for the LVO pack to come out before I can start writing lists and practicing with them. I am attending an RTT in Annapolis Maryland this weekend, and dont know if I want to go with "marauder mortal wound factory" or MAX debuff list (similar to yours but with Glott and 80 marauders)

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

22 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I think I would drop the geminids, palisade, gravetide and add in a poxbringer with favored poxes, and give glorious afflictions to Rotigus. With all those debuffs that could come back and bit you in the bum, that would be counterproductive to casting inferno blades on blightkings!

Gravetide is there because there were some spare points. It have huge base, so it can counter enemy mobility (such we are lacking our). Geminis imo are must take. You can use them as 26 range spell and move them so they will dispell the same turn (to avoid backfire)! Epitome is perfect for casting them. Last game with FeC palisade + geminis into 9 flayers made their 80 atacks ( bonus fight from CP) deal 0 wounds ( -2 to hit vs triple save? Come at me bro). I personally love gemis. Palisade is ok, it allow to control board a little and cut of some ranged units

• Like 1

Has anyone tried to write a Pestilent Throng list in Azyr?

First, it marks the lists as invalid as even though they are in the Battleline section, it doesn't recognise Gors and Ungors as Battleline when checking validty.

Second, Grashrak is selectable under Allegiance, not Allies (but the Despoilers are in Allies) and the list shows Allies points as 0/400.

Azyr is wrong on both counts, right?

Edited by TheVenerableBede
  • Like 1

Good evening rotbringers and plague slingers. Been reading for a while and the army has reached 1k and I'm looking at the next steps to a semi comp list (play at a club with various skill levels and go to tournies).

List is in the spoilers, I have marked the already owned models. 

Loved the blades + Maurader combo highlighted here, so thinking of that and some of my favourite models.

Big helper would be build for a GUO spell heavy or big and punchy?.

Also what are the endless spells to take in Nurgle?

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
The Glottkin (420) (own)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Great Unclean One (340) (own)
- General
- Bile Blade & Massive Bilesword
Horticulous Slimux (220)
Lord of Blights (140) (own)
Spoilpox Scrivener Herald of Nurgle (90)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320) (own 40)
- Axes & Shields
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160) (own)

Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 144

Ps under no illusions the state of Nurgle in the meta but who doesn't like a challenge 😜

• Like 1

It's be cautious about buying marauders now, as we don't know what will happen to them in the new S2D battle tome - they might be squatted in favour of Warcry stuff.

Did you magnetise your GUO? If so, consider Rotigus instead of normal GUO if you are not taking the Spellportals, because he acts like an infinite range artillery - if his spell comes off. You could double up on that with Plague Squall on the Glott, but it's less reliable. Of course, it means your command traits and artefacts would have to on the LoB and/or Herald...

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hello everyone!

I'm a new as player and I've decided to play a Nurgle list as my second army and probably reroll at the future. The thing is that I'm a little bit lost about what to buy and play. I've done some research, reading this forum for a while, and I've seen 2 lists that I like the most:

First one, is the Thricefold Befoulment list with 2 GUO and Rotigus, some plague bearers and some PBK. The other one might be a Glotkin (I love the model) list with 40 marauders, a Mortal's list.

At the moment, I own 30 plague bearers, 10 PBK, 6 plague drones, a Lord of Plagues and a Poxbringer. But I don't really care if I end up using these units or not, I would like to go as competitive as I can. 

Thank you in advance for the answers and for all the knowledge shared here, it's been very helpful for someone new as me.

Edited by EngraBlackSword

5 minutes ago, EngraBlackSword said:

Hello everyone!

I'm a new as player and I've decided to play a Nurgle list as my second army and probably reroll at the future. The thing is that I'm a little bit lost about what to buy and play. I've done some research, reading this forum for a while, and I've seen 2 lists that I like the most:

First one, is the Thricefold Befoulment list with 2 GUO and Rotigus, some plague bearers and some PBK. The other one might be a Glotkin (I love the model) list with 40 marauders, a Mortal's list.

At the moment, I own 30 plague bearers, 10 PBK, 6 plague drones, a Lord of Plagues and a Poxbringer. But I don't really care if I end up using these units or not, I would like to go as competitive as I can. 

Thank you in advance for the answers and for all the knowledge shared here, it's been very helpful for someone new as me.

Being competitive with nurgle...

You can go the thricefold or plague monks ways and even that you Will fail miserably against top tier armies.

Good luck!!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, peasant said:

Being competitive with nurgle...

You can go the thricefold or plague monks ways and even that you Will fail miserably against top tier armies.

Good luck!!

Well, "as competitive as I can"... :D. First of all, for being a little bit competitive, I have to learn a lot about the game. But I would like to play a decent Nurgle list.

Thank you!

Edited by EngraBlackSword
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TheVenerableBede said:

It's be cautious about buying marauders now, as we don't know what will happen to them in the new S2D battle tome - they might be squatted in favour of Warcry stuff.

Did you magnetise your GUO? If so, consider Rotigus instead of normal GUO if you are not taking the Spellportals, because he acts like an infinite range artillery - if his spell comes off. You could double up on that with Plague Squall on the Glott, but it's less reliable. Of course, it means your command traits and artefacts would have to on the LoB and/or Herald...

Thanks for this so I haven't finished my GUO for this exact reason. So Rotigus would be better unless I was taking the spellportals interesting, I didn't know that. What weapon combos do you usually go on the GUO for the different builds?

The mauraders were an idea but again I'm being patient as I know S2D is around the corner (I have 10 CK and 20 CW built and painted).

I could always go plaguebearers or monks like the person posted a few pages back. 

Anyone had any success with battalions outside of blight/plague cyst? 

Took mortals to a doubles event this weekend (crimbobo). 2x10 blightkings, harbinger and festus with balewind. Won 2, lost 3. I had a great time, but I don't think I'll take blight cyst to my next tournament. It will either be thricefold or another alliegence. Blightkings could take one hell of a beating and occasionally did some damage themselves on the rare occasion they could punch something without -1 to hit which honestly wasn't very often lol. Festus was absolute dead weight all weekend lol. He managed to cast 4 spells over 5 games. 3 of which were balewind and 1 of which was his warscroll spell on a mangler squig which was good but not worth 180 points for that game. The rest of the time I rolled too low or it got unbound. Magic as nurgle is an uphill battle without arcane terrain or a GUO. I really wish I'd dropped him for gutrot and another command point. The wheel was actually really kind to me all weekend which was nice. Although there was one game where the burgeoning failed on every unit apart from my partner's skinks. In doubles games, nurgle has potential to be a really nice partner for an army that lacks tanky objective holders imo!

• Like 2

Honestly, Nurgle isn't competitive right now.  In friendly matches, it's fine but anything where people are bringing the big bads.... you'll genuinely not win unless you're playing other "non-specialized" lists or the new guys.  ;)

To fix it, just make anything that requires a 6, unmodified.  BOOM! better than a faction refresh.  Personally, I've shelved my boys until I see what Slaves does.