AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 10/23/2019 at 5:50 PM, Fluxlord said:

I got these images from honest wargamer site. As far as Im concerned it is very obvious Nurgle is on the waning site of its power. The meta percentage (amount in percentage of nurgle on tournaments) slowly declines as does the winning percentage, From 49,7 % to 41,5% (that 41 % is  the newest data). I find the decline in the winning percentage a lot...almost 10 %. 

Im sad

F338EDC3-0108-4781-B23F-21C17A84137B.jpeg

36C85F69-B482-43C9-B5E4-87D6415FDAC1.jpeg

I think a lot less people are using Nurgle now, certainly a lot less competitive players. Personally, I think there is real potential in that Nurgle tome in the current meta for people with a bit of patience and a willingness to play a bit differently. They can be a real pain for factions who need sixes to hit, and a nightmare for the sorts of shooting armies people are bringing to counter the meta. Slaanesh are still almost unplayable (when are they not?), but I beat 2 FEC armies in the last GT I played, and suffered only a minor loss to a Skaven list in an unfavourable mission. I went 3-2 at it in the end, but really felt I could have easily gone 4-1 with a little luck and a little bit more guile on my part. Went 3-2 in Essex and 3-3 in the GT final in Nottingham which, though not amazing doesn't really tell the whole story. Unfortunately, my brother has reclaimed his Nurgle army back off me so it's back to Skaven for me, but there's definitely juice in that battletome, and I'd love to get a bit more practice with it.

Edited by Ratcliff

Played a one dayer this weekend with my brand new nurgle army.  Placed 3rd out of 10 players beating DoK and FeC but losing to Ironjawz after some huge misplays. The ironjawz player also won the tournament as he is the best player locally. I do feel like this list has a lot of potential when played better 

Allegiance: Nurgle
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Verminlord Corruptor (280)
- General
- Trait: Pestilent Breath
- Artefact: The Witherstave
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)

Battleline
10x Plague Bearers (120)
10x Plague Bearers (120)
10x Plague Bearers (120)

Units
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 183

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2019 at 2:30 AM, sal4m4nd3r said:

Yes, a chaos sorcerer lord is great because not only is his spell dope, but also gives mystic shield without having to cast it. Although Grashrek Fellhoof is becoming a favorite caster of mine! 18” range d3 mw and +1 to hit is really strong. I like him on a balewind for an extra cast, 24” savage bolt, and increased visibility. For only 20 points more then the CSL. 

Now that I’m building a list to EXPLOIT the fact that blightkings and blades is still a 6+ and not unmkdifed..prepping for lvo...they are def. going to yank it away from me in the winter faq... 😆

Isn't Grashrak and friends 140 as opposed to 160 for CSL?

Even better value in that case.

And if they FAQ Blightkings / BoP to use unmodified 6s to Nerf the Grashrak list, then I guess we'll just have to live with it 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eevika said:

Played a one dayer this weekend with my brand new nurgle army.  Placed 3rd out of 10 players beating DoK and FeC but losing to Ironjawz after some huge misplays. The ironjawz player also won the tournament as he is the best player locally. I do feel like this list has a lot of potential when played better

If only the Glottkin was 20 points cheaper, you could ally him in to Skaven Alliegence instead and drop those dead weight plaguebearers for another 40 plague monks :D Honestly I think 360 points on 3x10 Plaguebearers is too much, since they seem to be purely for the battleline tax. You could swap them out for minimum unit size chaos warriors to save 90 points. That would leave you with 120 Points left over. That's enough to squeeze in a sorcerer to cast Blades instead of Glottkin, leaving Glottkin free to use his warscroll spell to buff the Monk's durability by doubling their wounds characteristic.

1 minute ago, Dreadmund said:

If only the Glottkin was 20 points cheaper, you could ally him in to Skaven Alliegence instead and drop those dead weight plaguebearers for another 40 plague monks :D Honestly I think 360 points on 3x10 Plaguebearers is too much, since they seem to be purely for the battleline tax. You could swap them out for minimum unit size chaos warriors to save 90 points. That would leave you with 120 Points left over. That's enough to squeeze in a sorcerer to cast Blades instead of Glottkin, leaving Glottkin free to use his warscroll spell to buff the Monk's durability by doubling their wounds characteristic.

Playing Skaven I would not get blades and would lose summoning and run + charge from the tree. The plague bearers have a job I deploy them infront of everything to take a punch and then I counter pumch with all the monks. Also Glottkin is a double caster so he can cast his own spell and blades. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eevika said:

Playing Skaven I would not get blades and would lose summoning and run + charge from the tree. The plague bearers have a job I deploy them infront of everything to take a punch and then I counter pumch with all the monks. Also Glottkin is a double caster so he can cast his own spell and blades. 

For some reason I thought Glot was a single spellcaster, but you're right. It looks like a good list. I gotta get some plague monks eventually. Sometimes it feels like the strongest Nurgle lists contain the smallest amount of actual Nurgle models as possible lol.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

For some reason I thought Glot was a single spellcaster, but you're right. It looks like a good list. I gotta get some plague monks eventually. Sometimes it feels like the strongest Nurgle lists contain the smallest amount of actual Nurgle models as possible lol.

Yeah I built this list around the Glottkin as I bought him and after that started looking at lists. I realised that the best way to make a Glottkin list good is just to build a rat buffing list. I have themed my army around the allegiance of Nurgle and Pestilence rading Ghyran and it won best army at the tournament aswell. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 10/28/2019 at 2:49 AM, Eevika said:

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
Verminlord Corruptor (280)
- General
- Trait: Pestilent Breath
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)

Battleline
10x Plague Bearers (120)
10x Plague Bearers (120)
10x Plague Bearers (120)

Units
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Wounds: 183

Nicely done!  Only thing is Skaven makes plague monks even more powerful.  You lose blades but gain +1 to hit, +1 to wound, +4 bravery at max strength, gnawholes, and great plagues among others.  Only thing in your list that's isn't skaven are glottkin and plaguebearers.   Makes me sad. 

17 hours ago, Crowvus said:

Nicely done!  Only thing is Skaven makes plague monks even more powerful.  You lose blades but gain +1 to hit, +1 to wound, +4 bravery at max strength, gnawholes, and great plagues among others.  Only thing in your list that's isn't skaven are glottkin and plaguebearers.   Makes me sad. 

Yeah but in skaven I cant play Glotkkin thats the problem 😂 this is also probably one of the best nurgle lists you can make.

On 10/29/2019 at 3:41 PM, Crowvus said:

I think the maggotkin book is really short on affordable hammers, that's why monks are so essential. This was the list I used in my last tournament (came 11th out of 44), it has plague monks, but plenty of Nurgle to be had

Mortal Realm: Hysh
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
Spoilpox Scrivener Herald of Nurgle (90)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Icon of Pestilence
- 1x Contagion Banner
- 1x Doom Gongs
- 1x Bale Chimes
Tallyband of Nurgle (220)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 148

Out of curiosity, anyone done anything with Meeting Engagements?  What works for Maggotkin in that format?  They sounded like a great idea, but seem to have fizzled out almost immediately.  I recall reading a lot about how it was very easily busted (more than normal) and that was about it, with it never really catching on.  I like the idea because I always prefer smaller games to 2k.  

Hello putrid folks, I have a couple of tricky Tamurkhan related doubts. The first one is that I saw the plague frogs profile that gw updated as a faq to make them battleline, and in that warscroll they can ignore both wounds and mortal wounds on a 4+, while the previous version only ignores mortal wounds. The rest of the units saves (kazyk and pox riders) works only with mortal wounds. Maybe one version is a misprint? Anyone knows if FW made any claim? Maybe I shouls post this on FB...

The other doubt is regarding the infamous misprint of the Tamurkhan Allegiance keyword, which states that sll the maggotkin of nurgle units replace its keyword with Tamurkhan horde. Since maggotkin of nurgle keyword/allegiance doesn’t exists, is asumed that it refers to Nurgle. If I include beastsman from the Pestilent Throng batallion which gives them the Nurgle keyword, can they benefit from the Command shout from the Tamurkhan army which affects Tamurkhan horde units? Also, are ungors/gors from that batallion considered battleline in a Tamurkhan Horde army?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jymmy said:

Hello putrid folks, I have a couple of tricky Tamurkhan related doubts. The first one is that I saw the plague frogs profile that gw updated as a faq to make them battleline, and in that warscroll they can ignore both wounds and mortal wounds on a 4+, while the previous version only ignores mortal wounds. The rest of the units saves (kazyk and pox riders) works only with mortal wounds. Maybe one version is a misprint? Anyone knows if FW made any claim? Maybe I shouls post this on FB...

The other doubt is regarding the infamous misprint of the Tamurkhan Allegiance keyword, which states that sll the maggotkin of nurgle units replace its keyword with Tamurkhan horde. Since maggotkin of nurgle keyword/allegiance doesn’t exists, is asumed that it refers to Nurgle. If I include beastsman from the Pestilent Throng batallion which gives them the Nurgle keyword, can they benefit from the Command shout from the Tamurkhan army which affects Tamurkhan horde units? Also, are ungors/gors from that batallion considered battleline in a Tamurkhan Horde army?

So the plague frogs only block mortal wounds now. It was nerfed because in all honesty it was so ridiculously good and easily abusable. They are battleline in a Tamurkhans Horde army. 

There is no misprint regarding the allegiance. If you have an army with the NURGLE allegiance, you can also say it is allegiant to Tamurkhans horde and they GAIN that keyword and benefit from the allegiance abilities in addition to nurgle allegiance abilities. NURGLE keyword is not replaced. Here is the specific wording:

After you have chosen the Maggotkin of Nurgle allegiance for your army, you can give it the Tamurkhan’s Horde keyword. All Maggotkin of Nurgle units in your army gain that keyword

Tam's Horde is good if you have an extra artefact to "throw away." Since you MUST use the artefact on the tamurkhans horde list first, its not worth it to not be able to take the Witherstave. But if you are running a battalion and can deal without the rustfang... the allegiance ability for -1 to enemy run and charge rolls is SO SO GOOD! It makes deepstrikers/summons/teleports charge on a 10" instead of 9"

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

A 1250 list, for a 24 players tournament 

Bell and dagger GUO, pestilente Breathe, witherstave

Horticulus

2*30 plagueBearers

Emerald lifeswarm.

We play in Hysh

C&c welcome.

I have Aldo:

2 GUOs

25 putrids

Harbinger

Lord of afflictions

3 lord of plagues , 2 lord of blights, 6;plague drones, glottkin, Epidemius

Hello fellow rotbringers, I have been given a Glotkin as a present and have a urge to build a fun and crazy list around him after finishing my Khorne project.

Do not care about super competitiveness as I will be the pilot!! Just want a list to have some synergy or cool little trick I can pull off.

Something wild and out there I can build and win a couple of games at a big event if I'm lucky 🤟🤟😜 I'm sure you guys won't disappoint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blisterfeet said:

Hello fellow rotbringers, I have been given a Glotkin as a present and have a urge to build a fun and crazy list around him after finishing my Khorne project.

Do not care about super competitiveness as I will be the pilot!! Just want a list to have some synergy or cool little trick I can pull off.

Something wild and out there I can build and win a couple of games at a big event if I'm lucky 🤟🤟😜 I'm sure you guys won't disappoint.

There are a few lists in the previous few pages of posts that use him and have done well.  Also something I'm thinking of doing with him that I'm hoping turns him into an absolute power house is this:

Glottkin

Festus

Harbinger of decay

Chaos Warshrine

Chaos marauders x40 

Chaos marauders x40

Chaos warriors s5

Plague monks x40

Plague monks x40

Extra Command point

This means glotkin has the potential with just marauders and monks to give 240 addition attacks, plus you have access to blades of putrefaction, and 2 saves after your save with harbinger and warshrine for glottkin and marauders (and the other heroes and shrine).  Might be a little too "all in" on hordes and glottkin but seems like fun!

24 minutes ago, Crowvus said:

There are a few lists in the previous few pages of posts that use him and have done well.  Also something I'm thinking of doing with him that I'm hoping turns him into an absolute power house is this:

Glottkin

Festus

Harbinger of decay

Chaos Warshrine

Chaos marauders x40 

Chaos marauders x40

Chaos warriors s5

Plague monks x40

Plague monks x40

Extra Command point

This means glotkin has the potential with just marauders and monks to give 240 addition attacks, plus you have access to blades of putrefaction, and 2 saves after your save with harbinger and warshrine for glottkin and marauders (and the other heroes and shrine).  Might be a little too "all in" on hordes and glottkin but seems like fun!

Haha that is alot of models. Seems funny though. I saw the Nurgle +Plaguemonks post on the previous page but not a huge fan of the idea of painting 80 rats on top of the 80 mauraders like you have, especially with the maurader models looking like Conan or the 90s show Hercules 🤣🤣

I was thinking of something like below but maybe I'm an optimist because I know from a few pages back Nurgle are in a tough spot and most run blight cyst or thricefold just seeing if there are any maniac lists I could jam!

The Glottkin (420)
Orghotts Daemonspew (240)
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact: Rustfang
Festus the Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Foulness: Cloying Quagmire
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
Gutrot Spume (140)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 127

Edited by Blisterfeet
Added a list idea

1 hour ago, Blisterfeet said:

Haha that is alot of models. Seems funny though. I saw the Nurgle +Plaguemonks post on the previous page but not a huge fan of the idea of painting 80 rats on top of the 80 mauraders like you have, especially with the maurader models looking like Conan or the 90s show Hercules 🤣🤣

I was thinking of something like below but maybe I'm an optimist because I know from a few pages back Nurgle are in a tough spot and most run blight cyst or thricefold just seeing if there are any maniac lists I could jam!

The Glottkin (420)
Orghotts Daemonspew (240)
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact: Rustfang
Festus the Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Foulness: Cloying Quagmire
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
Gutrot Spume (140)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 127

Ya it is a lot!  I'm actually holding off on marauders to see if they get new models like we got for chaos warriors 🙂

Your list has a lot of good models but little synergy.  Nurgle really needs to make use of synergies to have a chance in the current climate.  And as much as I wish the maggoth riders were viable they just aren't.  Some of my favorite models though 😕  To try and keep your list as intact as possible while optimizing it I'd drop the plaguebearers, orghotts and Lord of Blights then add 15 more blightkings and a warshrine.  The warshrine ups the percentage of wounds your models ignore from 33% to 44%.   Then I might do balewind vortext.  Anyway that's my two cents and a lot of that info is from reading this forum 🙂

55 minutes ago, Crowvus said:

Ya it is a lot!  I'm actually holding off on marauders to see if they get new models like we got for chaos warriors 🙂

Your list has a lot of good models but little synergy.  Nurgle really needs to make use of synergies to have a chance in the current climate.  And as much as I wish the maggoth riders were viable they just aren't.  Some of my favorite models though 😕  To try and keep your list as intact as possible while optimizing it I'd drop the plaguebearers, orghotts and Lord of Blights then add 15 more blightkings and a warshrine.  The warshrine ups the percentage of wounds your models ignore from 33% to 44%.   Then I might do balewind vortext.  Anyway that's my two cents and a lot of that info is from reading this forum 🙂

So apologies if I am showing any ignorance but you mention synergies. 

Now Nurgle aren't killy at all by this forums admission, results and reading warscrolls.

So what should I leverage synergy wise that I am missing DR? With Glotkin I though putting everything on a big blob and holding centre board would be a good idea?

Again I totally understand the reasons to take BK -1 rend batallion or ally in Skaven blobs just wondering if their is any off meta choices experienced players have been thinking up.

I just attended B&G and I saw a few lists that did alright and were 100% not on meta. 

Appreciate your advice @Crowvus

3 hours ago, Oceanic_Eyes said:

Noticed Tamurkhan was out of stock online, sent an email and got an unfortunate confirmation that as of now he is no longer a part of the forgeworld production range.

4YmIltI.png

Aw ******... So there it goes my Tamurkhan project, I guess that even if I can get my hands on the Maggot Lord model it will be unusable in one or two years... Sigh...

Sad that Tamurkand's Horde is getting shelved. I never got any of it because the warscrolls seemed pretty poor, but I love plague toads. I always thought of it as something that I might get in the future when I had finished painting the rest of my Nurgle forces just to have on the shelf or break out in a couple of friendly games. Fingers crossed that one day we get a Plague Toads plastic kit :(

• Like 2

On 11/5/2019 at 9:11 PM, peasant said:

A 1250 list, for a 24 players tournament 

Bell and dagger GUO, pestilente Breathe, witherstave

Horticulus

2*30 plagueBearers

Emerald lifeswarm.

We play in Hysh

C&c welcome.

I have Aldo:

2 GUOs

25 putrids

Harbinger

Lord of afflictions

3 lord of plagues , 2 lord of blights, 6;plague drones, glottkin, Epidemius

It looks like you're aiming to be full on tanky with no damage output, so maybe double down on that and put in Lord of Blights plus the geminids instead of Horti to make your PBs even harder to hit.