AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

hey all...new to AoS and Nurgle specifically, with your permission would like to ask some seemingly dumb questions that I just can't find the answers to in the books.

1) What is it about Gutrot that prevents him being given an artefact? or command trait? My app lets him be nominated as the General but no option to add stuff to him...

2) Nurglings + Blades of Putrifaction seems good to me (small footprint with loads of attacks, plus easier access to bonus MW) but I don't see anyone talking about it...am I missing something?

3) Can Muttergrub enable you to cast the same spell multiple times? Or does it have to be a different spell each time?

4) Does Splithorn Helm 'stack' with Disgustingly Resilient? i.e. do you get a 5+ then a 6+ when allocated a wound, or do you just roll the highest at that timing step?

there's bound to be more, but I don't want to be 'that guy' so will keep it to the ones puzzling me as I build my first 1000pts list...thanks for taking a look

12 minutes ago, EssexMat said:

hey all...new to AoS and Nurgle specifically, with your permission would like to ask some seemingly dumb questions that I just can't find the answers to in the books.

1) What is it about Gutrot that prevents him being given an artefact? or command trait? My app lets him be nominated as the General but no option to add stuff to him...

2) Nurglings + Blades of Putrifaction seems good to me (small footprint with loads of attacks, plus easier access to bonus MW) but I don't see anyone talking about it...am I missing something?

3) Can Muttergrub enable you to cast the same spell multiple times? Or does it have to be a different spell each time?

4) Does Splithorn Helm 'stack' with Disgustingly Resilient? i.e. do you get a 5+ then a 6+ when allocated a wound, or do you just roll the highest at that timing step?

there's bound to be more, but I don't want to be 'that guy' so will keep it to the ones puzzling me as I build my first 1000pts list...thanks for taking a look

1) He is a named character. Only generic heroes like a lord of blights can be given Artefacts: named characters have abilities according to their Lore in the world. Think of it like this: you can customize generic heroes as you wish, but Characters who exist in the books are off limits. It would be like giving Aragorn a lightsaber. It would be awesome, but sadly it is not meant to be.

2) I guess the big downside is that you have to take Nurglings which are expensive for what they are capable of without blades. Also, with no access to +1 to hit (other than the new Felhoof hero) they will run into problems with -1 to hit blocking their damage potential. The best recipient of the blades spell are generally models who have a natural access to +1 to hit such as marauders or Plague Monks as that allows them to deal mortal wounds on a 5+ instead of a 6+, or mitigate the effect of a -1 to hit debuff which is very common. It's an interesting thought though. I would love to have a reason to take Nurglings because they're great little models that just don't see any play these days.

3) It has to be a different spell.

4) They stack!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bjarnebjarne said:

Thanks! The marauders combo seems fantastic, but I guess it isnt that realiable since you need to spells with a casting value of 7 to pull it of? Is there any way to boost the casting?

There is ZERO way to boost casting for any rotbringer wizard. the only ways to boost casting for any nurgle wizard are the GUO bileblade, and the Tome of 1000 poxes artefact for nurgle demon wizards. You are correct that its unreliable. I'm willing to roll the dice with an incredibly high ceiling of damage since I can also tank a fair amount of damage while sitting on objectives. I use it as almost a defensive ability.. that anything that comes near me will get bladed up!

2 hours ago, EssexMat said:

Dreadmund nailed it. I will also add the Splithorn helm will also continue to stack with Mystical terrain,  and the Harbinger's Command ability Morbid vigor which gives out a 5+ damage prevention roll (DPR)., and any other DPR you may come across. Also keep in mind Splithorn Helm is a Rotbringer artefact and not a demon artefact. So it wont ever stack with Disgustingly resilient as ONLY demons have that ability. But it does stack with any other DPRs.

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 1

thanks for the speedy replies, much appreciated and super helpful!

I've blocked out the following army list to 1000pts (me and my buddies are going to use the Meeting Engagement style game to start with):

Gutrot

Poxbringer

[5] Blightkings

[30] Plaguebearers

[3] Plague Drones

Simple premise, Gutrot and BK's can deploy into backfield with a view to jamming or threatening opponent's objective...meanwhile, PBs + PDs supported by PoxB look to share up the middle for me...late game plan will be to summon more PB or similar for final objective taking/holding.

Any suggestions for spells/artefacts on the Poxbringer? Any tweaks to the list? I'd love to fit [10] Blightknights in 'cos that's what I got painted so far but I can't make the maths work at 1000pts...thoughts?

image.png.47fe0186f62959c4c2322e6b916578bc.png

• Like 3

@EssexMat NICE LOOKING MINIS!! And a great well rounded list. I think favored poxes spell is the best of the demon lores. I cant think of a time having -1 to hit wound and save is a bad thing on a unit! Both offensive and defensive. But if you have a fast moving opposing army or an army that has a lot of fly, or a beatstick unit that flies... Glorious afflictions is a great control spell. 

As for artefacts, if you have a nurgle demon hero, the artefact to give them is the witherstave. It is in the conversation for best artefact in the entire game. Tome of 1000 poxes is ok. so is The endless gift on a GUO. But the witherstave is simply to good to not choose. 

3 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@EssexMat NICE LOOKING MINIS!! And a great well rounded list. I think favored poxes spell is the best of the demon lores. I cant think of a time having -1 to hit wound and save is a bad thing on a unit! Both offensive and defensive. But if you have a fast moving opposing army or an army that has a lot of fly, or a beatstick unit that flies... Glorious afflictions is a great control spell. 

As for artefacts, if you have a nurgle demon hero, the artefact to give them is the witherstave. It is in the conversation for best artefact in the entire game. Tome of 1000 poxes is ok. so is The endless gift on a GUO. But the witherstave is simply to good to not choose. 

thanks dude! I'll finish painting this list with confidence I'm not barking up the wrong tree now :)

will go with Favoured Poxed and Witherstave and let you know how I get on.

the list runs to 940pts, is it a) allowed and b) worth looking at an Endless Spell? 

one last stupid AoS general rule question, regarding terrain...how is it defined as being 'within' terrain? is it a model must be on the terrain or touching it? or is it within a certain distance of the terrain piece? should we be mounting our terrain models on card to define the boundary?

thanks again

Edited by EssexMat

9 hours ago, EssexMat said:

thanks dude! I'll finish painting this list with confidence I'm not barking up the wrong tree now :)

will go with Favoured Poxed and Witherstave and let you know how I get on.

the list runs to 940pts, is it a) allowed and b) worth looking at an Endless Spell? 

one last stupid AoS general rule question, regarding terrain...how is it defined as being 'within' terrain? is it a model must be on the terrain or touching it? or is it within a certain distance of the terrain piece? should we be mounting our terrain models on card to define the boundary?

thanks again

If you have 60 points left over, it's worth looking at Endless Spells, as your list doesn't include any models with command abilities, so buying an extra command point wouldn't be worth it.

Good spells are:

Geminids for 60pts - one gives -1 to hit, the other -1 attacks. Could combine very well with plaguebearers' natural -1 and your Poxbringer's Favoured Poxes. Be aware that predatory Endless Spells can also be moved by your opponent, so can bite you back!

Aethervoid Pendulum for 50pts - goes in straight line and dishes out d6 mortal wounds to everything it touches.

I also like the Prismatic Pallisade (30pts), it's a line of sight blocker, so protects vs shooting lists, and also a movement blocker for units that don't fly (Fyrelsayers or Gotrek for example), so can keep dangerous units at arm's lenght. Downside is, it's easy to dispel - a Runelord for example will only need to roll 4+ on 2d6 to dispel it.

• Like 1

Well I played a friendly game yesterday to practice with some list I wanted to use in an upcoming event. I played against some Gloomspite troll list with a Hag and some other -1 to hit trolls and trolls with 5+ resilient save and healing....damn, oh yeah and they hit really hard! Got tabled in round 4. Differenc in VP wasnt that big, we played total conquest.

I had: Glottkin (blades putrefaction), Verminlord corruptor (with witherstave), epitome, gutrot. 30 plaguebearers, 10 blightkings and 20 marauders. I also added prismatic pallisade, had some points left. 

I finished setting up first and took first turn to buff me up. Failed all my casts with the exception of mystic shield I got that one thanks to re-roll casting with epitome. Sigh that started out really dissapointing. In my movement only my marauders made it an end up to the table with a six to run. Still 12’’ fom trolls. Gutrot and his kings got from the side of the board to catch the enemy objective and try to make a charge. I popped a tree from gutrot to have a tree in his zone in vicinity of the objctive and then failed all charges.....

his turn....troll boss kills my mirror epitome...damn. He hits like a truck and i loose also all my marauders.....damn..

Luckily i won roll of, but again very unlucky with my casts ...... and the downhill continued made some tactical mistakes cause my motivation was demolished the same time the mirror and the marauders where slain....

I noticed that it is really difficult to try and keep the spirit up when your unclucky and then you already have lost the game.

Anyhow gonna try another list now. Since i dont expect a lot of -1 in the upcoming event (well maybe here and there), but i do expect a lot of hit first strike last things, my answer is my favorite unit........blightkings! In a blightcyst!

So next what i will try out is much simpler.....

Harbinger (blesssings, witherstave), epitome (ally), festus (blades put), lord of blight (artefact?? Rustfang?)

3*10 blightkings

20 marauders

chrono cogs

blightcyst

(I actually think i dont need Gutrot, the mission i will play are shifting objctives, total conquest and focal points.)

Hi all, I need some advice with semi competitive list. I thought to use drone as main damage dealer in bouth list.

Allegiance: Nurgle
LEADERS
Great Unclean One (340)
- Plague Flail & Massive Bilesword
Gutrot Spume (140)
Festus the Leechlord (140)
Lord of Afflictions (200)
Grashrak Fellhoof (140)
UNITS
6 x Plague Drones (400)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

TOTAL: 2000/2000

WOUNDS: 152

LEADERS
Great Unclean One (340)
- Plague Flail & Massive Bilesword
Verminlord Corruptor (280)
Gutrot Spume (140)
Festus the Leechlord (140)
UNITS
6 x Plague Drones (400)
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Balewind Vortex (40)
TOTAL: 1980/2000

WOUNDS: 151

I plan to make double first strike, first with Spume and 10x kings and another one with drones BoP on them and LoA. Thanks in advance for advices.

Hey guys,

I will play against deepkins soon. This are our lists:

Nurgle

Spoiler

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: The Witherstave
Gutrot Spume (140)
Festus the Leechlord (140)
The Contorted Epitome (200)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes & Shields

Units
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 200 / 400
Wounds: 199

Fishy Fishes 

Spoiler

llegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
- Enclave: Fuethan
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Isharann Tidecaster (100)
- General
- Trait: Born From Agony
- Artefact: Cloud of Midnight
- Lore of the Deeps: Steed of Tides
Isharann Soulrender (80)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
Isharann Soulscryer (130)

Battleline
10 x Namarti Reavers (130)
10 x Namarti Reavers (130)
10 x Namarti Thralls (130)
10 x Namarti Thralls (130)

Units
9 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (510)
9 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (510)

Battalions
Namarti Corps (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

The scenario will be Total Conquest on  Shyish realm  (all realm spells avaiable). 
Do you have any advices how to aproach this game? What should be my initial setup, what tatic/goals/aproach to win the game? Thins I should be aware of? 

Been considering finishing off my Maggotkin since I saw 5 BKs on my painting table and started to paint them up and was reminded why I love painting Nurgle things.  Sort of torn between the cookie cutter type build with Blight Cyst + GUO + 30 PBs or trying something with Marauders and that beastman dude (maybe with Bestigor.  I'd really love to be able to do a "Realm of Chaos" type mixed warband with humans, daemons and beastmen like in the old days and not have it be garbage) but I really like how 30 PBs have performed for me in the past.  They do make good summoning fodder though (albeit IIRC you can only summon in units of 10).

Decisions, decisions...

Edited by wayniac

I got these images from honest wargamer site. As far as Im concerned it is very obvious Nurgle is on the waning site of its power. The meta percentage (amount in percentage of nurgle on tournaments) slowly declines as does the winning percentage, From 49,7 % to 41,5% (that 41 % is  the newest data). I find the decline in the winning percentage a lot...almost 10 %. 

Im sad

F338EDC3-0108-4781-B23F-21C17A84137B.jpeg

36C85F69-B482-43C9-B5E4-87D6415FDAC1.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm not surprised really.  The Maggotkin book seems to be pretty well balanced, and we all know how GW is with that.  There have been a slew of books that were way above the power curve, which will make the "normal" books get weaker over time as they continue that trend.  It's been that way for years and the design team has zero interest in fixing it, in fact from what I've read they and the AOS community want those weird imbalances and rollercoaster power curves as intended design.

22 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

I got these images from honest wargamer site. As far as Im concerned it is very obvious Nurgle is on the waning site of its power. The meta percentage (amount in percentage of nurgle on tournaments) slowly declines as does the winning percentage, From 49,7 % to 41,5% (that 41 % is  the newest data). I find the decline in the winning percentage a lot...almost 10 %. 

Im sad

F338EDC3-0108-4781-B23F-21C17A84137B.jpeg

36C85F69-B482-43C9-B5E4-87D6415FDAC1.jpeg

It is easy to get dispirited seeing these numbers but unless you are a hyper-competitive, meta-chasing tournament player, it shouldn't be a big concern or diminish your enjoyment in the hobby.

I game with two regular groups and one of them runs Nurgle exclusively. He almost never loses.

• Like 1

@Televiper11Im not supercompetetive, but do play at tournaments and have some tough match-ups from time to time. But the way I interpret these data, if you play Nurgle (Maggotkin) it means you play with Nurgle allegiance (the book/battletome) and the way i see it the nurgle allegiance abilities arent very strong in combination with all the units we have in the current meta.  Yes witherstave is good (maybe the best artefact in the game), but still isnt enough as you see. We have heavy magic lists with thricefold, still isnt enough as the data indicates. We are resilient, still this isnt enough....

Havin a good battletome with high winpercentages means even less experienced players (like myself) can win with an army. Yeah you can win with  urgle and  end up on the high end in tournaments, but that counts for the tactical good players who play nurgle. 
Well anyhow, like you said, it is not that bad, and besides if less people are playin nurgle the change of a mirrormatch is smaller, cause nurgle mirrormatches are kinda awkward.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NinjaBadger7 said:

@sal4m4nd3r I'm looking at Team Nurgle for my next project and just wanted to pick your brain if I could :)

Do you think using the Contorted Epitome as an ally at 1k points worth it in your opinion?

I was considering something like this -

Well im not sal4, but for 200 points a double caster (re-roll failed casts and dispells) who can let enemy units fight last and let your kings re-roll 1 to hit....... is obviously very good in my opinion. 
compare it with another hero you would use lets say lord of plagues..140 ..re-roll 1 to hit and some lame command ability...epitome wins

lord of blights 140 good command ability but not with the kings in your list and his throw some heads is also not so good so epitome wins.

Festus 140 is good he heals has a nice spell...but only one cast.....epitome has two.....

32 minutes ago, Fluxlord said:
5 hours ago, NinjaBadger7 said:

@sal4m4nd3r I'm looking at Team Nurgle for my next project and just wanted to pick your brain if I could :)

Do you think using the Contorted Epitome as an ally at 1k points worth it in your opinion?

I was considering something like this -

Well im not sal4, but for 200 points a double caster (re-roll failed casts and dispells) who can let enemy units fight last and let your kings re-roll 1 to hit....... is obviously very good in my opinion. 
compare it with another hero you would use lets say lord of plagues..140 ..re-roll 1 to hit and some lame command ability...epitome wins

lord of blights 140 good command ability but not with the kings in your list and his throw some heads is also not so good so epitome wins.

Festus 140 is good he heals has a nice spell...but only one cast.....epitome has two.....

Thank you, I appreciate the advice! (I directed it at Sal4 as I saw he was running one in a higher list)

What you're saying definitely makes sense as the Epitome is an overall great support/caster unit. And I have the model to build anyway 😂

58 minutes ago, Fluxlord said:

@Televiper11Im not supercompetetive, but do play at tournaments and have some tough match-ups from time to time. But the way I interpret these data, if you play Nurgle (Maggotkin) it means you play with Nurgle allegiance (the book/battletome) and the way i see it the nurgle allegiance abilities arent very strong in combination with all the units we have in the current meta.  Yes witherstave is good (maybe the best artefact in the game), but still isnt enough as you see. We have heavy magic lists with thricefold, still isnt enough as the data indicates. We are resilient, still this isnt enough....

Havin a good battletome with high winpercentages means even less experienced players (like myself) can win with an army. Yeah you can win with  urgle and  end up on the high end in tournaments, but that counts for the tactical good players who play nurgle. 
Well anyhow, like you said, it is not that bad, and besides if less people are playin nurgle the change of a mirrormatch is smaller, cause nurgle mirrormatches are kinda awkward.

I appreciate your thoughtful response. I will say that any army, no matter their win % and abilities, can be improved upon by sound tactical play. 

Like you, I am an inexperienced player but one thing I've learned from losing is that tactics matter, especially with a balanced (like Nurgle) or slightly underpowered (as I've been with Dispossessed) armies. You will know, pretty much from the get-go, what super-powered armies will bring to the table so finding variable builds that negate those tactics is helpful. Plus, learning that ultimately AoS is a game of board and objective control versus combat.

Again, the Nurgle player in my group runs Thricefold and rarely loses. Partly due to sound tactics and partly due to opponent inexperience. He also tweaks his list constantly to improve them -- minor adjustments can make a big difference.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NinjaBadger7 said:

Thank you, I appreciate the advice! (I directed it at Sal4 as I saw he was running one in a higher list)

What you're saying definitely makes sense as the Epitome is an overall great support/caster unit. And I have the model to build anyway 😂

I love the epitome in a nurgle army. And I think one in 1000 points is a strong option! The epitome REALLY shines if you play with realm spells because some of them are broken as hell and it can cast two of them with RR! If a game is not being used in the realms with access to the spell lore, I usually dont include it. The RR 1s to hit is nice but perhaps not worth for me.  

47 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I love the epitome in a nurgle army. And I think one in 1000 points is a strong option! The epitome REALLY shines if you play with realm spells because some of them are broken as hell and it can cast two of them with RR! If a game is not being used in the realms with access to the spell lore, I usually dont include it. The RR 1s to hit is nice but perhaps not worth for me.  

Awesome that makes a lot of sense :)

If not using realm spells, do you think a Chaos Sorcerer Lord would be a good replacement if using a mortals nurgle list? 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 9:26 AM, NinjaBadger7 said:

Awesome that makes a lot of sense :)

If not using realm spells, do you think a Chaos Sorcerer Lord would be a good replacement if using a mortals nurgle list? 

Yes, a chaos sorcerer lord is great because not only is his spell dope, but also gives mystic shield without having to cast it. Although Grashrek Fellhoof is becoming a favorite caster of mine! 18” range d3 mw and +1 to hit is really strong. I like him on a balewind for an extra cast, 24” savage bolt, and increased visibility. For only 20 points more then the CSL. 

Now that I’m building a list to EXPLOIT the fact that blightkings and blades is still a 6+ and not unmkdifed..prepping for lvo...they are def. going to yank it away from me in the winter faq... 😆

• Haha 1