AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I went to the Facehammer GT a few weeks ago with my Nurgle army and lost every game! Finished second from bottom! I did however win 2nd Best painted army which was amazing!

If you really want to see how not to play Nurgle then you can watch it on YouTube as my round one game vs Donal’s Seraphon was streamed by the Honest Wargamer. The highlight was Gotrek killing The Glottkin and Rotigus in one round of combat!

I also played Slaanesh, Stormcast, Sylvaneth and Gitz Troggoths with similarly bad results.

I love the models in the Nurgle range and even though the army has taken me over 2 years to paint, I will be retiring it now. I just don’t enjoy playing it, particularly the bookkeeping which is quite tedious for very little reward. I’m just not a good enough player to make a success of them. I easily forget things. Kudos to those who play this army well. 

Here’s some photos of my army from the event taken by @MattAvis who did some brilliant photography at the event. Check out the Facehammer Facebook page for more photos.

B749BB1F-E88E-4FE5-9D82-EEFCE5912A56.jpeg

554D32D2-9346-4929-B68D-38E19ABD7587.jpeg

D2BAB6BC-5140-44E9-B2FD-BF3B744FEB96.jpeg

09F8FCBD-309B-4C17-8C9D-A101F2648F8D.jpeg

6CF7D1E2-C850-4C12-80D3-88403965C638.jpeg

53EC7DA8-8856-4439-8343-3CCB5EE440BF.jpeg

723E9863-11A2-4509-B5F9-C2C70FF19DA9.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 5

Hey all, I'm trying to build a mortal focused Maggotkin 2,000 point army. I only have a few of them bought so far so the list is very flexible in what I can interchange. I really want to focus on the Blightkings because they are amazing! 

1x GUO, 1x Sorcerer, 1x Gutrot Spume. 1x Harbinger of Decay, 1x Lord of Blights

10x BKs, 5xBKs, 5x BKs, 5x Chaos Warriors

1x Chaos Warshrine

1x Blight Cyst Batallion 

I want my mortals to be as tanky as possible (thus the HoD & Warshrine) and I dont know the local meta as I will be moving within the next year to a new state. Any advice to help make this list an all around good mortal list would be greatly appreciated!

@Percivael I watched poor rotigus and glott cut cut in half as I was steeping my morning coffee. Was a sad cup. Amazing looking army. I had the pleasure of seeing it in person at adepticon 2018. Truly stunning. Nothing short of amazing. You should be immensely proud..even if you didn’t win a game! You made us all proud with something so truly beautifully revolting. Something to look up to

• Like 3

On 9/27/2019 at 7:41 AM, sal4m4nd3r said:

Im already shifting my list, in anticipation of this new mechanic (ignoring DPR) being the hip new trend. Especially with an entire NEW army being released around the corner. In order to do well competitively you have to adapt! Going to try lists with No harbinger and No warshrine! I'm at the "drawing board" for LVO. I REALLY want to stay as the top ranked nurgle player on ITC. Thats my goal for this year. 

Looking at something like this. Not sure if it will be competitive but it sure would be FUN! And I want to use my damn PESTigor models!!! Bestigors would be a max of 16" movement, d6+1 run and charge 2d6+2, with a 4" pile in! 

Could go less speed but more punch and use my favorite model (GLOTTKIN) instead of GUO and take out the cogs or taurus. Would also give you BLADES, as well as two wound bestigors LOL 

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: The Witherstave
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Gutrot Spume (140)
Great Bray Shaman (100)

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

Units
30 x Bestigors (300)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Wildfire Taurus (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 178

What do you mean ignoring DPR?  How would one do that?

26 minutes ago, Eevika said:

New Bonesplitters ignore damage prevention

And I’m curious to see if the boneboinger army uses this mechanic. Much like we saw always strike last start with a trickle and then it was everywhere.  I’m not full on abandoning the DPR build/mechanic. Just getting ready to jump ship to a new strategy. 🙂

10 hours ago, Cactus97 said:

@sal4m4nd3r As a competetive Nurgle player, any tips to make the Blightking list even tankier if I were to get rid of LoB and Blight Cyst?

There are several ways to play tanky. You can go volume (more Kings), more wounds per unit, target saturation (blightlords are good for this) fast/distraction units (to force opponents attention away from Kings). DPR is one aspect of tankyness. To utilize hit/wound modifiers you typically need realm spells.

you could also build around chaff tankyness. Marauders/plaguebois using DPR, lord of blights, glott etc. 

Just now, sal4m4nd3r said:

And I’m curious to see if the boneboinger army uses this mechanic. Much like we saw always strike last start with a trickle and then it was everywhere.  I’m not full on abandoning the DPR build/mechanic. Just getting ready to jump ship to a new strategy. 🙂

Yeah im building a full dmg nurgle list

8 minutes ago, Eevika said:

Yeah im building a full dmg nurgle list

Please share as your formulating! I would love to see it!I think of all the way nurgle can buff a huge block of NURGLE bestigors and get giddy. 2 wound bestigors. 4 attacks on the charge and mortals on 4s!? 14" base move with natural run and charge! Lord of blights can give a -1 to hit. 

Lord of plagues with gyrestrike can be surprisingly killy! Add in Grashrak Fellhoof's spell. and you have a dude with rend -1 doing d6 hits on 4s, that each do d3 damage LOL

1 minute ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Please share as your formulating! I would love to see it!I think of all the way nurgle can buff a huge block of NURGLE bestigors and get giddy. 2 wound bestigors. 4 attacks on the charge and mortals on 4s!? 14" base move with natural run and charge! Lord of blights can give a -1 to hit. 

Lord of plagues with gyrestrike can be surprisingly killy! Add in Grashrak Fellhoof's spell. and you have a dude with rend -1 doing d6 hits on 4s, that each do d3 damage LOL

Well my list is built around the Glottkin becouse I love the model so I was looking around what synergises the best with him and the answer is. RATS!

Heros:

• Glottkin
    • Blades of Putrification
  • Verminlord Corruptor
    • General
    • Witherstaff
    •  Pestilent Breath
    • Glorious Afflictions
  • Plague Furnace 

Units:

• 5x Putrid Blightkings
  • 5x Putrid Blightkings
  • 5x Putrid Blightkings
  • 40x Plague Monks
  • 40x Plague Monks

Plan is to just turn Plague monks in to a missile to destroy everything. I kitted the monks with staffs so with Glottkin + Charge + Furnace its 300+ attacks. Get the rerolls from Verminlord and you deal an avarage of 110 mortal wounds with Blades of Putrification. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, Eevika said:

Well my list is built around the Glottkin becouse I love the model so I was looking around what synergises the best with him and the answer is. RATS!

Heros:

• Glottkin
    • Blades of Putrification
  • Verminlord Corruptor
    • General
    • Witherstaff
    •  Pestilent Breath
    • Glorious Afflictions
  • Plague Furnace 

Units:

• 5x Putrid Blightkings
  • 5x Putrid Blightkings
  • 5x Putrid Blightkings
  • 40x Plague Monks
  • 40x Plague Monks

Plan is to just turn Plague monks in to a missile to destroy everything. I kitted the monks with staffs so with Glottkin + Charge + Furnace its 300+ attacks. Get the rerolls from Verminlord and you deal an avarage of 110 mortal wounds with Blades of Putrification. 

LOVE IT! Its funny because Im going to other way... GOATS! LOL. My problem is figuring out the most efficient way to get them the NURGLE keyword. or doing the best I can using a 400 point ally limit. Which sucks because the contorted epitome is almost to good to not include in competitive lists.  

Just as an FYI..  +1 to hit would yield more damage (if you added the Grashrek Fellhoof) and got blades on them.. Plus with VLC and Glott you will be command point STARVED! This list gives you 200 points to play with... Contorted epitome? Could add in the Wildfire taurus for grashrek to cast.  Lots of ways to go. JUST A THOUGHT! I dont think my version is a better way to go.  Just an alternate.

Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)
The Glottkin (420)
Grashrak Fellhoof (140)
- Allies

5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
40 x Plague Monks (280)
40 x Plague Monks (280)

Total: 1800 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 176

Hey guys! I've been buying and playing Nurgle to mixed success over the last year-ish and I've somewhat struggled in building effective lists, so I was wondering if I can get an opinion on some lists that might work well based on what I've got so far? Just gonna list it below as a help:

-GUO (Massive Bilesword & Bileblade)
-Rotigus
-The Glottkin
-Epidemius
-Horticulus Slimux
-Lord of Plagues
-Lord of Blights
-Lord of Afflictions
-Harbinger of Decay
-Spoilpox Scrivener
-Sloppity Bilepiper
-Poxbringer

-x40 Plaguebearers
-x40 Chaos Marauders
-x15 Putrid Blightkings
-x6 Nurglings
-x6 Plague Drones
-x2 Pusgoyle Blightlords

Hope this isn't too much trouble, and thanks again!

@LordQuadly Nice collection of minis you have there! There is LOTS of build philosophy and list talk in the recent pages.  It helps all of us if you give us more information like which models you WANT to use or types of armies you like to play. 

I myself will be bringing this list to a 3  round one day tournament on sunday in Richmond VA. Unfortunately its a margin of victory event which I REALLY don't like but atleast its good practice for LVO and potentially some ITC points if I do well! The plan is to use Glott and my somewhat amorphous list to adapt to the opponents list.  He can cast Blades on either the maruaders of the Bestigors depending on target. Both have a +1 to hit mechanic on the warscroll. Fell hoof can add another so that would generate mortals on 4s! If I cast on the maruaders, I can use Glotts command to have them swing with 81 attacks, potentially hitting on 2s RR1s doing mortals on 4s!! Even if Blades doesnt go off, I can save Glotts command point for an IP and try to double thier wounds and give them a 5++ to create an immovable tarpit. Bestigors even as allies can take Fleshy abundance and double their wounds! Spume and 10 kings do their thing, while the other ten kings protect the harbinger, glott and tag objectives. Having a pocket CP should the Maruaders or goats get into trouble! Or allow me to double up and use both command abilities. 

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: The Witherstave
Gutrot Spume (140)
Grashrak Fellhoof (140)
- Allies

Battleline
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes & Shields

Units
20 x Bestigors (240)
- Allies
5 x Grashrak's Despoilers (0)
- Allies

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 380 / 400
Wounds: 182

• Like 2

@sal4m4nd3r I play vs a lot of Slaanesh in my group and it's giving me a lot of issues.   Mostly the keepers and the summoning.  How would you deal with it?  I've been playing mostly mortal lists but I'm thinking of giving thricefold and try to cut back on the number of depravity points I feed them and attack them at a different angle, see if it helps.  Any thoughts?

Edited by Crowvus
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 6:54 PM, Crowvus said:

@sal4m4nd3r I play vs a lot of Slaanesh in my group and it's giving me a lot of issues.   Mostly the keepers and the summoning.  How would you deal with it?  I've been playing mostly mortal lists but I'm thinking of giving thricefold and try to cut back on the number of depravity points I feed them and attack them at a different angle, see if it helps.  Any thoughts?

Thricefold is at least better than our high wound count mortals, if you screen the 3 GUOs good enough and if you have luck with your casts ;)

Vs Slaanesh I think our best bet is something like tallyband with lord of blights extra CP and broonch. 

2 Drop, get first turn, run up objectives and hope you can hold them long enough... 

On scenarios without midfield objectives, you are lost :D

I had recent success against slaanesh with an all mortal build. However i must say that BK are heavily countered by slaanesh in general because of their high wound count per model. Marauders on the other side are simply amazing for their cost against them. 

Anyway do not go cyst, it's too much of a trap. 

As general tips against them: 1) kill their heroes asap, without them they cannot summon 2) screen your pieces correctly and remember that they have a 3" reach on the claws but 2" on the sword (so deploy 2.5" behind the screen). 3) if they let you go first do not spread out because you automatically lose the advantage of being in a castle. If you get caught there is no turning back. 4) if you land a powerful buff on a unit do not charge multiple units because if you go last it will be obliterated. 5) Do not underestimate daemonettes, they can put out a lot of damage even in small numbers.

• Like 1

16 people showed up for the tournament (run by Oscar Lars.) in Richmond, Virginia on Sunday.  I ended up winning the damn thing! Faced a squig heavy gitz army on focal points, competitive bladegheist heavy nighthaunt (2nd best nighthaunt player on ITC) on border war and in the final game a ..trogg army?! Yup! That was on possibly his worst mission ..scorched earth. (3x 5 fellwater troggs, troll hag, troggboss and 2x dankholds and the troggherd! ) Was pleased as punch to get the ITC points, moving me up to 17th overall and firmly in control of the top nurgle ranking for the season.

Was hoping the bestigors would be a better independent hammer. Something I could put on a flank with a natural run and charge mechanic and use Grashrek as a propolsion system. Slam into something, take an objective and divert attention. They did OK. They die REALLY easy especially because Im usually using my IP command on marauders. So maybe I need to temper my expectations. Certainly not giving up on them. hitting on 4s is rough. I'm usually charging either kings and them. Or maruaders and them. So they always get hit before they can swing. Wish I had room for the wildfire taurus.

Thinking of dropping them in favor of another unit of maruaders LOL. Perhaps a balewind for Fellhoof and the controrted epitome. 6 casts?! LOL going to experiment for sure but Glott's back on the menu boys! The maruaders getting Bladed up, +1 attack and +2 to hit is effing insane. 81 attacks potential, hitting on 2s, RR 1s, mortals on 4s. LOL. I know they are going to do unmodified 6s for blades.... but until then WEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

42ECDBE5-E5DF-4032-B699-70F7F40D616B.png

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

16 people showed up for the tournament (run by Oscar Lars.) in Richmond, Virginia on Sunday.  I ended up winning the damn thing! Faced a squig heavy gitz army on focal points, competitive bladegheist heavy nighthaunt (2nd best nighthaunt player on ITC) on border war and in the final game a ..trogg army?! Yup! That was on possibly his worst mission ..scorched earth. (3x 5 fellwater troggs, troll hag, troggboss and 2x dankholds and the troggherd! ) Was pleased as punch to get the ITC points, moving me up to 17th overall and firmly in control of the top nurgle ranking for the season.

Was hoping the bestigors would be a better independent hammer. Something I could put on a flank with a natural run and charge mechanic and use Grashrek as a propolsion system. Slam into something, take an objective and divert attention. They did OK. They die REALLY easy especially because Im usually using my IP command on marauders. So maybe I need to temper my expectations. Certainly not giving up on them. hitting on 4s is rough. I'm usually charging either kings and them. Or maruaders and them. So they always get hit before they can swing. Wish I had room for the wildfire taurus.

Thinking of dropping them in favor of another unit of maruaders LOL. Perhaps a balewind for Fellhoof and the controrted epitome. 6 casts?! LOL going to experiment for sure but Glott's back on the menu boys! The maruaders getting Bladed up, +1 attack and +2 to hit is effing insane. 81 attacks potential, hitting on 2s, RR 1s, mortals on 4s. LOL. I know they are going to do unmodified 6s for blades.... but until then WEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Congrats! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

What is the list you ran?  Same as you posted earlier?