AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

9 hours ago, IkedaT said:

Yea a new book for Nurgle... with Tzeentch and Chaos Undivided still waiting.  We'll see but I won't be holding my breath.

I'm sure will get one eventually but it may well be not until AoS 3. It'll depend probably on how much time there is between when all factions have got a 2.0 tome and when they plan to release 3.0. And possibly also on which models they want to shift.

I wish they published a roadmap, for example like Intel do for their chips, so you can plan upgrade cycles etc.

Im already shifting my list, in anticipation of this new mechanic (ignoring DPR) being the hip new trend. Especially with an entire NEW army being released around the corner. In order to do well competitively you have to adapt! Going to try lists with No harbinger and No warshrine! I'm at the "drawing board" for LVO. I REALLY want to stay as the top ranked nurgle player on ITC. Thats my goal for this year. 

Looking at something like this. Not sure if it will be competitive but it sure would be FUN! And I want to use my damn PESTigor models!!! Bestigors would be a max of 16" movement, d6+1 run and charge 2d6+2, with a 4" pile in! 

Could go less speed but more punch and use my favorite model (GLOTTKIN) instead of GUO and take out the cogs or taurus. Would also give you BLADES, as well as two wound bestigors LOL 

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: The Witherstave
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Gutrot Spume (140)
Great Bray Shaman (100)

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

Units
30 x Bestigors (300)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Wildfire Taurus (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 178

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 1

So I'm getting my nurgle back on and so far I've not been using the harbinger of decay. However planning on using the big old archaon with the glottkin for a double trouble fun list and he's kind of key to helping those old boys out. 

Found an old chaos lord on daemonic mount and decided to do some tweaking for a cool alternative model. 

WIP so need to get some paint on him/her.

Do we think papa nurgle would be pleased? Any feedback welcome. 

IMG_20190927_154522.jpg

IMG_20190927_154529.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Im already shifting my list, in anticipation of this new mechanic (ignoring DPR) being the hip new trend. Especially with an entire NEW army being released around the corner. In order to do well competitively you have to adapt! Going to try lists with No harbinger and No warshrine! I'm at the "drawing board" for LVO. I REALLY want to stay as the top ranked nurgle player on ITC. Thats my goal for this year. 

Looking at something like this. Not sure if it will be competitive but it sure would be FUN! And I want to use my damn PESTigor models!!! Bestigors would be a max of 16" movement, d6+1 run and charge 2d6+2, with a 4" pile in! 

Could go less speed but more punch and use my favorite model (GLOTTKIN) instead of GUO and take out the cogs or taurus. Would also give you BLADES, as well as two wound bestigors LOL 

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
Gutrot Spume (140)
Great Bray Shaman (100)

Battleline

Units
30 x Bestigors (300)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Wildfire Taurus (80)

I'd strongly consider the new Beastgrave shaman + 20 bestigors over classic shaman + 30 bestigors, since it brings +1 to hit into your list for your blightkings. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheVenerableBede said:

You could swap the Great Bray Shaman and Cogs for the new Beastgrave warband plus a Balewind or other cheap endless spell.

The wizard's retinue take wounds for him on a 4+, so you could consider him a 7 wound rather than 5 wound shaman. And a spell that gives +1 to hit.

I cant because that would bring me over the 400 points I'm allowed for allies, unfortunately.  Otherwise I TOTALLY would! And I think the extra 10 bestigors for 60 points is worth it over access to the spell. I will certainly be trying it out though!

3 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
Gutrot Spume (140)
Great Bray Shaman (100)

Battleline

Units
30 x Bestigors (300)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Wildfire Taurus (80)

Now that looks fun! And I have all the models except the Taurus spell. What would your list look like with glotking? Would he be general with witherstaff

1 minute ago, Opidel said:

Now that looks fun! And I have all the models except the Taurus spell. What would your list look like with glotking? Would he be general with witherstaff

I have to work out how the glott Kim would work into the list. He cannot have a command trait or an artifact because he is a unique character. And the witherstave is a “requirement” to be competitive IMO.  So I have to figure out how I could slot him in...but 2 wound bestigors doing mortals on 5s sounds tasty 😄

21 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I have to work out how the glott Kim would work into the list. He cannot have a command trait or an artifact because he is a unique character. And the witherstave is a “requirement” to be competitive IMO.  So I have to figure out how I could slot him in...but 2 wound bestigors doing mortals on 5s sounds tasty 😄

Could you have harbinger as general, although u would have the command ability problem I think.

if one unit of blightkings went to 5, you would still have battle line and could bring in harbinger or lord of afflictions and make that general with witherstaff?

Edited by Opidel
,wording

It's catch 22 with the Glott. You want him for his command ability as well as his spell, but as soon as you add him, you want to add the harbinger to keep him alive longer than a couple of rounds.

And then you add Festus to heal him and you've spent 720 points, but can't use his command ability because you trigger morbid vigour every round!

• Sad 1

There seems to be some amazing idea's in here!

I wonder if multiple SC Maggotkin are worth it, or are Pusgoyle Blightlords that bad? - sounds like an interesting challenge I could set myself....otherwise I need to head to eBay/Trading pages to get that many kings.

Can't help but love the idea of a Blightking heavy list :D

• Like 1

There gonna be a tournament in my city upcoming month. I'm a new player but I want to play it, to show some nurgle power. Unfortunately  I don't have  enough models for any of your proposed lists @sal4m4nd3r . Some guys will let me borrow their old nurgle minis, but even with that your list are not in my reach. 
I also knew that guys in my city are kinda competetive, and deep dive strategy do not work very well against them ( they are protecting their side from it very well).  So I'm thinking about something I can build from avaible models. What do you guys think, which one is better? Any advices on changes?

List1:

Spoiler

Leaders
Rotigus (340)
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Plague Flail & Massive Bilesword
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence
Verminlord Corruptor (280)
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 144

This one is spell heavy. I'm waiting for realms spell list, but even without it, Rotigus, GUO and Vermi spells are quite strong, and they can tank a lot of damage by themselves. 10x Putrid is flexible slot, but I need 3hird battleline. 

List2:

Spoiler

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- Plague Flail & DoomsDay Bell
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence
Lord of Afflictions (200)
- General
- Trait: Virulent Contagion

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
- Axes & Shields

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 146

A bit more mobile list. I Think plague Drones deserve some love. They are fairly hard to kill, and with demon hero around ( LoA)  they have a bunch of atacks ( Even more with guo Comand) . LoA is very strong with improved rend, and thanks to GUO with bell drones and LoA can get to enemy teritory round 1 to generate more contag points. 

List 3: 

Spoiler

Leaders
Lord of Afflictions (200)
- General
- Trait: Virulent Contagion
Great Unclean One (340)
- Plague Flail & Doomsday Bell

Battleline
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (200)
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (200)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Wounds: 142

This is more list for LoLs, a hit and run tactic. Just grab nearest objectives with Plahuebeares, engage with drones and putrid, and then just retread and fly around their objectives so they cant rush plagueberers, and pump enough damage to kill them. This seems more like funy list not the competetive one. 

And last, List 4:

Spoiler

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General

Battleline
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes
15 x Chaos Warriors (270)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
15 x Chaos Warriors (270)
- Hand Weapon & Shield

Units
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)

Wounds: 211

Full turtle mode. I don't have access to Festus, Gutrot or epitome so I cut out 10 putrid, to put there more chaos knights. Saves on 4+ 5+ 6+ and in case of mortal wounds another 5+ . Verminlord for some cast and unbinds and sweet anty horde spell. 

Hope you guys can help me and give some advices about choosing the list!

Edited by Ajas
  • Like 2

Be the hero we need. Run list three and document your experience thoroughly and report back. That list looks EPIC!! 

I like where your head is at in terms of the virulent contagion trait. I would strongly recommend the pestilent breathe.. in case you get swarmed by chaff. That way you can clear out 1/3 of them. Especially because the low model count army can have trouble taking objectives away from large units. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Be the hero we need. Run list three and document your experience thoroughly and report back. That list looks EPIC!! 

I like where your head is at in terms of the virulent contagion trait. I would strongly recommend the pestilent breathe.. in case you get swarmed by chaff. That way you can clear out 1/3 of them. Especially because the low model count army can have trouble taking objectives away from large units. 

This Friday I will test list number 3. I will make a battlereport for sure! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope its ok for me to post this here. Anyway here goes. Having only recently started playing aos, after a long hiatus from hobbying, I picked the maggotkin book to try and figure out an army, so please bear with me if this is an entirely silly question. In the GUO warscroll it states it can wield  two different weapons, now does that mean that you can mix and match, or are you restricted to the two build shown (sword/flail and bell/blade)? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheCaptain said:

I hope its ok for me to post this here. Anyway here goes. Having only recently started playing aos, after a long hiatus from hobbying, I picked the maggotkin book to try and figure out an army, so please bear with me if this is an entirely silly question. In the GUO warscroll it states it can wield  two different weapons, now does that mean that you can mix and match, or are you restricted to the two build shown (sword/flail and bell/blade)? 

You can make mix :). You can go 4 combos:
Bell + dagger
Bell + Flail
BigSword + DageR
BigSword + flail. 

Most common configs are:
- Big sword + flail ( benefit to cast from sword and dmg from flail)
- Bell + dager ( Speed + casting bonus, but not so great dmg)
- Bell + Flail ( Speed + flail dps) 

1 hour ago, Ajas said:

You can make mix :). You can go 4 combos:
Bell + dagger
Bell + Flail
BigSword + DageR
BigSword + flail. 

Most common configs are:
- Big sword + flail ( benefit to cast from sword and dmg from flail)
- Bell + dager ( Speed + casting bonus, but not so great dmg)
- Bell + Flail ( Speed + flail dps) 

Excellent, thank you very much.

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Thats probably the best 3xfold list I have seen. 

Totally agree. 

But still very challenging to play especially vs big antimagic because in combat or shooting there is nothing in this list. Just tanking and casting. 

On 10/3/2019 at 3:25 AM, Zplash said:

Oh a nurgle fellow in the top 10 of last GT, nice! 

He brought the good old thricefold to the table but still not bad for us now a days :)

His list:

Screenshot_20191003_092342_com.android.chrome.jpg

I have all the parts to this after November, so I'll might try it out and see how it goes. Its pretty scary to have the spells be your only real damage but I guess thats how most 3fold lists go so why not lean in hard, right?

I've foudn a sketchy russian website that sells 15 blight king bodies and legs for $20. So I'm waiting for those to come in and see how they look. if they're passable I might get a few blight kings an use the extras in the box to double my outpoot! Should make them less expensive. 

4 hours ago, GurgleMyNurgle said:

I have all the parts to this after November, so I'll might try it out and see how it goes. Its pretty scary to have the spells be your only real damage but I guess thats how most 3fold lists go so why not lean in hard, right?

I've foudn a sketchy russian website that sells 15 blight king bodies and legs for $20. So I'm waiting for those to come in and see how they look. if they're passable I might get a few blight kings an use the extras in the box to double my outpoot! Should make them less expensive. 

You could drop one unit of ten plaguebearers for sorcerer with blades of putrefaction. If that spell does go off and you have a target, hit the GUOs command on them and do some damage! If you save a command point and give them RR 1s to hit in combat for even more damage. 

• Like 1