AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Well everyone, I tried my best. Ran into some REALLY stiff competition, as expected and didnt do as well as I wanted. I went 3-2 (no minor wins/losses), coming in 18th overall, 22nd in battle points. I got nominated for Best Painted army, so coming in top ten there.

My five opponents were Slaanesh (3 keeper godseekers - the eventual winner of the event for both overall and battle points), KO/ballista/Hurricanum build, Ironjaws, Changehost, and Legion of Azghor. 

William Soehailli was my first opponent. What can I do against Slaanesh 3 keeper list on Knife to the Heart? Try my best but I straight up got smashed. He out dropped me and gave me first turn, as expected. I tried to stall the inevitable face beating as long as possible. Ran my 40 marauders up onto a piece of mystical terrain (so a 5+/5++/6++/6++) and charged the screen (hellstriders) of two of the keepers. I thought with a combination of 3 DPRs and RR 6s to hit I could keep them locked for maybe 2 turns while I got into a better position. I also tried to get the third keeper in combat with gutrot and 10 kings. Gutrot and the kings both failed the 8" charges. He only killed 6 marauders in that first combat phase. But he got the double turn, double piled in with a bunch of stuff, including charging the marauders with demonettes, crippled the slime fleet, and eventually started slaughtering blightkings. He got priority on turn three, retreated the keeper with thermal rider cloak behind my lines and summoned demonettes  onto my objective after I had nothing left. Game.  Not much I can do when he had 90+ depravity on turn 3. 

Second game against a KO/Hurricanum/Ballista build on Total Conquest. He turtled on one objective and left 10 arkanaut compant on the other. After feeling a bit burned from the first game, I tried to go for the throat right from top of turn one. I buffed the EFF out of the marauders and went for it. Stoke rage, inferno blades and blades of putrefaction all on maruaders. Got a good run roll of 6, so they moved 13"/24" seperation. So only needed a 9" charge (+2" charge from musician and stoke rage). Would have been cool to see how much damage they could do. (perfect storm would have been them hitting on 3s RR1s, wounding on 2s, doing mortals on 5s and 2 damage per attack LOL) but I failed the charge. He double turned me. and focused his entire army into the marauders. Battleshock brought them down to only a handful+ and then started whittling the blightkings. My kings FINALLY made it across the board (a VERY timely double turn for me) and started smashing with 20 or so blightkings. Major win. 

REALLY wanted to end the day 2-1. Got paired up against possibly the nicest human being on the planet, Correy Reece from Tennessee and his Ironjaws army. Mission was Shifting objectives. He had an Ironfist and Ironsunz build. Maw Crushers, 20 ardboys, 15 brutes, 6 gore gruntas, chanta, and shaman. He took first turn, hand of gorked his ardboyz in my face. everything moved to the center of the board and took all the objectives. I buffed everything up, charged everything, had GREAT positioning. Marauders with blades, sliced up the aard boys. They battleshocked off. But failed to take any objectives. He "WAAGGHH bombed" gave everything +5 attacks!!! I was able to survive the insane amount of damage. He was RR6s to hit/wound, and multiple DPRs. The maw crusha and brutes (I boxed them out with terrain well) only took out 5 blightkings. WELL HOLY DICE ROLLS, those 5 kings (buffed with RR wounds, +1 to wound, and inferno blades) took out a full health maw krusha in one round. LOTS of 6s off 15 dice, put about 20ish wounds into him, he saved all but like 7 or 8 but they were 2 damage a piece. BOOM. I doubled him and we called it. I still had not scored any VPs LOL but it was clear I would have just sat on objectives as most of his army was gone :| 

Day two first game was against Change Host on Focal Points. He did was change host does and sent purple sun, pendulum, gnashing jaws, gravetide, maelstrom, and palisade right in my face. Locked my army down in my own deployment zone, summoned a ****** ton of blue horrors and just outplayed me. I had the LoC on one wound for two turns!!! but he was -1/-2 to hit in combat and couldn't plunk that last wound off. I also forgot a HUGE charge because we were rushing to fit in a round, started the first combat, and after my hit rolls asked if I could charge in ten kings that MIGHT have been able to win me the game.. but he wouldn't allow me to. :/ Very frustrating game for me. Change Host is great and picking where and when the fights happen. And I just couldn't ever get into good position. Fun game... just that build is stifling to play against. 

Last game was against....Legion of azgorh? Wow. All second edition models. Super cool dude. Duality of death. I was going to outdrop him. So my plan was to grab both, but focus on one for the game. I sent 40 marauders and warshrine after one. And EVERYTHING else for the other. He sent 3 skullcracker war engines after the marauders. Luckily gutrot and 10 kings got the charge off and stalled two of them in combat for a few turns. So the marauders one objective for 1/2 turns or so. 20 kings, epitome, harbinger had to survive 12 bull centaurs, drazzgoth, then bull taurox general.  The epitome was rolling hot and making them all strike LAST. 20 kings, did work and slashed their way through them. but more importantly survived and RACKED UP the points. He wiped the marauders off the board and started charging in the war engines, but I just threw up summoned demon roadblocks and he couldn't get to me. 

Had an amazing time. GREAT game. 18th overall/22nd battle wasnt where I REALLY wanted to be. 3-2 was my "benchmark" but winnign the RTT on thursday was a thrill. Sorry for the long post! Looking ahead to LVO!

• Like 3

So I was thinking of using the next list. The list is based from a list that performed very well in AOS1 at some tournament.

Glottkin

Lord Of Blights (general grandfathers blessing)

Gutrot Spume

Spoikpix scrivener (witherstave)

The contorted epitome (ally)

30 plaguebearers

10 blightkings

2*5 blighkings

I buy 1 cp and should have 2000 points now.

(The original list had the cyst battalion with glott general, lob with rustfang and the poxbringer with tome of thousand poxes and the spell favoroud poxes)

So i switched the poxbringer for a scrivener (also hero daemon for locus and to carry witherstave next to plafguebearers), to compensate for the loss of the wizard iadded the epitome. (Same points as blightcyst battalion and the rend of the battalion os now a little compensated with the re-roll ones spell from epitome, the model is fast durable the the spell has a hreat range. Furthermore the fight last rule might help a lot for Nurgle) what do you guys think? If glott manages to live for some rounds those plafguebearers might be a very hard tarpit to remove with both glotts spell, lob ca and horrific opponent from glott, re-rolling 1 to save from spoil 6 to hit re-roll for opponent. I have two blightking units (5 man) for protecting home objectives or help next to glott. I have gutrot for the ambush tryin to catch objectives in opponents territory and hitting some enemies. I hope to place the epitome in such a way that his spell reaches the units gutrot and his men will charge. 

So again what you guys think or any advice?

I like the list @Fluxlord. I dont like the spoilpox. 90 points for essentially RR 1s to hit. Without blades of putrefaction, no real reason to slightly buff the offensive output of PBs when thier role is to plop on objectives or tarpit. IF you removed him, the LOB and the cp.. you could squeeze in a verminlord corrupter who is a nurgle demon wizard, so locus to PB, dope anti horde spell, double caster. Can be general and still get a command trait, can hold the witherstave and be given favored poxes/glorious afflictions/sumptuous pestilence to cast. I think people underestimate pestilent breathe trait and the sumptuous pestilence spell in tandem. That can do some serious damage. Combine that with his ability to blow up hordes as it is..oof. 

Just a suggestion. I think those 90 points are useless, except to carry the witherstave. I mean even the spoilpox+cp turn that into a poxbringer with witherstave, favored poxes and a good shot at a triumph is better IN MY OPINION. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I like the list @Fluxlord. I dont like the spoilpox. 90 points for essentially RR 1s to hit. Without blades of putrefaction, no real reason to slightly buff the offensive output of PBs when thier role is to plop on objectives or tarpit. IF you removed him, the LOB and the cp.. you could squeeze in a verminlord corrupter who is a nurgle demon wizard, so locus to PB, dope anti horde spell, double caster. Can be general and still get a command trait, can hold the witherstave and be given favored poxes/glorious afflictions/sumptuous pestilence to cast. I think people underestimate pestilent breathe trait and the sumptuous pestilence spell in tandem. That can do some serious damage. Combine that with his ability to blow up hordes as it is..oof. 

Just a suggestion. I think those 90 points are useless, except to carry the witherstave. I mean even the spoilpox+cp turn that into a poxbringer with witherstave, favored poxes and a good shot at a triumph is better IN MY OPINION. 

Thx for the advice! I definitely will consider this, which also means I have to get myself a verminlord and paint it up. In the mean i can try to play with what I wrote down here and when vermi is ready try to squeeze him in. I see your reasoning, but hat frightens me a little is the loss of the LoB, the -1 from PB themselfs + -1 LoB in melee + -1 horrific opponent to hit sounds so good. On the other hand do those plaguebearers need it and it sucks up CP.

Im just gonna try them out all 3! And see how hey perform...

1 hour ago, Fluxlord said:

Thx for the advice! I definitely will consider this, which also means I have to get myself a verminlord and paint it up. In the mean i can try to play with what I wrote down here and when vermi is ready try to squeeze him in. I see your reasoning, but hat frightens me a little is the loss of the LoB, the -1 from PB themselfs + -1 LoB in melee + -1 horrific opponent to hit sounds so good. On the other hand do those plaguebearers need it and it sucks up CP.

Im just gonna try them out all 3! And see how hey perform...

The way I look at it...your “spending” 140 points for one extra turn of -2 to hit instead of -1. Only because in my opinion..those 90 points are wasted on a warscroll that provides very little in terms of impact on the table. I still don’t think it’s a bad list..quite the contrary. I thinks it’s really strong, well thought out. And can do well. I just am trying to help you optimize 🙂

42 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

The way I look at it...your “spending” 140 points for one extra turn of -2 to hit instead of -1. Only because in my opinion..those 90 points are wasted on a warscroll that provides very little in terms of impact on the table. I still don’t think it’s a bad list..quite the contrary. I thinks it’s really strong, well thought out. And can do well. I just am trying to help you optimize 🙂

And I appriciate it! I read  your posts and i realize you know your Nurgle and the mechanics of the game so I take your advice seriously. (And yes spoils warscroll is kinda....meh)

But Now I ve had some time to think it over (been thinkin about for an hour now), and at the horizon i see the verminlord. Yes, the longer I think about the more I become enthusiastic. An eztra two spells! So the list has 6 spells! He is a daemon hero nurgle so he would fullfill what i need around those plaguebearers, and can dish out damage! 

Thanx again! Nurgle approves!

• Like 2

When someone mentions a Verminlord Corruptor can be very strong in a Nurgle army. And you agree, after thinkin it over, and run to the local GW shop and then it’s time to paint him up. Cant wait to see how he works in the list I have in mind. I think I will paint him pinkish and white and red eyes, like a labratory rat who just escaped and wants revenge...

6194F6EB-63BD-45C3-8C96-D7C6A20B33C1.jpeg

BTW: Does blades of putrefaction stack with his plaguereapers? So I get 2 MW on sixes?

Edited by Fluxlord
  • LOVE IT! 3

While we are on the subject of painting VLC's...here is a Verminlord Corrupter I painted as a commission. Client needed it QUICKLY so didnt have a huge amount of time to pronounce the details.  But I LOVE the idea @Fluxlord. The pale skin fits with the nurgle theme, and the red eyes certainly make snese from a predator/evil theme. But also works with the "lab rat" theme. Works on multiple levels which means more people will appreciate it. Great idea cant wait to see it completed!

VLC.jpg

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2019 at 5:25 PM, sal4m4nd3r said:

While we are on the subject of painting VLC's...here is a Verminlord Corrupter I painted as a commission. Client needed it QUICKLY so didnt have a huge amount of time to pronounce the details.  But I LOVE the idea @Fluxlord. The pale skin fits with the nurgle theme, and the red eyes certainly make snese from a predator/evil theme. But also works with the "lab rat" theme. Works on multiple levels which means more people will appreciate it. Great idea cant wait to see it completed!

I hope it works out as great as i plan! Will show when it’s finished.  Your work looks great BTW,i would be happy with it.

Edited by Fluxlord

2 hours ago, Dolio said:

Any tips for playing with Bloab (in 2k)? Do I want to spec him with Rancid Visitations and get him up the front to anti-horde + debuff their wizards, or he will just die and I should spec him/play him more defensively?

Nurgle loves hugs, and the playstyle to I guess. So if you have a harbinger round Bloab has a 5+ xtra save, besides put some blightkings before/close to him and you have some extra protection. Then for hordes you can cast the rancid spell, if he might face some hero use his own spell.... which is really good. That spell saved me from Durthu once (admitedly I had some luck), I killed Durthu in one go the second round with bloabs

spell and dmg from shooting with bloab and hitting with blightkings.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

Nurgle loves hugs, and the playstyle to I guess. So if you have a harbinger round Bloab has a 5+ xtra save, besides put some blightkings before/close to him and you have some extra protection. Then for hordes you can cast the rancid spell, if he might face some hero use his own spell.... which is really good. That spell saved me from Durthu once (admitedly I had some luck), I killed Durthu in one go the second round with bloabs

spell and dmg from shooting with bloab and hitting with blightkings.

Thanks for the tips!

So the new Underworlds beastmen warband has a spell that gives +1 to hit to ANY friendly unit (and d3 mortal wounds but meh). I'm extremely tempted to try then out in a Blight king list though it is a 7 to cast.  I've been waiting for ages for the ability to stack hit on Blightkings.

5 minutes ago, Forrix said:

So the new Underworlds beastmen warband has a spell that gives +1 to hit to ANY friendly unit (and d3 mortal wounds but meh). I'm extremely tempted to try then out in a Blight king list though it is a 7 to cast.  I've been waiting for ages for the ability to stack hit on Blightkings.

I came here to talk about this and you beat me to it. Could be an amazing ally for a blight king list. The 7 to cast is a pain, but all of our stuff is 7 to cast with no buffs already so *shrug*.

Add in Bestigors or Centigors for droolworthy units with piles of attacks and mortal wounds on a 4+.....

Getting through 2 7+ spells in a turn is, of course, always difficult. 

edit: Knocked together this as a possibility - I don't mind that at all. 

Allegiance: Nurgle
Lord of Blights (140)
Sorcerer (120)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
Grashrak’s Despoilers (140)
- Allies
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
- Axes
20 x Bestigors (240)
- Allies
Blight Cyst (200)
Wildfire Taurus (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 380 / 400
Wounds: 166

Edited by decker_cky

Hello everyone!!

Super new Nurgle player here. I've bought 2 getting started boxes, a GUO, a tree and 40 more plauge bearers, some chaos warriors, and the malign sorcery's to start. So all I'll need to do is get two more GUO's for my birthday to complete my list. (I'm not in to big a hurry because its going to take a while to assemble and paint the rest)

I'm looking at building and completing the following lists based on what I've got.

1k Learning/ Casual List
GUO  Glorious afflictions, pestilence breath, endless gift, Sword and Flail

6 Plauge drones, and 2x10 Plague bearers.

for 2k
GUO: Favored poxes, Tome of a thousand poxes, bileblade + Doomsday bell
GUO: Glorious afflictions, pestilence breath, endless gift, Sword and Flail
Rotigus: Sumtuous Pestilence

5 Chaos Warriors: Hand weapons+runeshield 
3x10 Plauge bearers
3x10 Plauge bearers

Endless Spell: Geminids of Uhl-Gyish
Endless Spell: Umbral Spellportal

Battalion: Thricefold Befoulment

Let me know If ya'll have any constructive criticism or thoughts on either build as well as tips to a Nurgle Newbie!

20 hours ago, Forrix said:

Is the only way to get this warband to buy the full Core set?

Welcome @GurgleMyNurgle

Great looking lists! The witherstave is by far the best Artefact in the book. Slot that in over the 1000 poxes tome. The +1 to cast is nice until you realize it’s only on the lore of nurgle. So it wouldn’t affect the casting rolls of “foul regenesis” (the spell to move the cycle), the plague wind spell or any realm spells. Only the spell you assign the GUO. Witherstave up my dude! It shuts down a lot of units special abilities that proc on 6s to hit. 

3xfold (I reckon GUOs have a lot more folds then 3 hahah) strengths are the three incredibly tough characters and the 3d3 spell is great! The main weakness is damage and synergy is based on spells with only a couple of ways to buff spells. So you will struggle against seraphon, Lon, Gitz...any army that can dominate the hero phase. 

Have fun, come back and report any games played and ask any advice!!!

On 8/28/2019 at 3:52 PM, sal4m4nd3r said:

Oh absolutely! Especially with realm spells a full go! No extra command points makes me nervous the most. But I’ll work around it best I can. 

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing  
- Artefact: The Witherstave  
Gutrot Spume (140)
Festus the Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
The Contorted Epitome (200)
- Allies

Battleline
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes & Shields

Units
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 200 / 400
Wounds: 199

36095A03-A98A-4A38-9190-96C8787A9C75.jpeg

Are you just doing a double battalion with no blight cyst or whatever?