AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

What do you run in your magic heavy list?  I am kinda new at this, have played less than 10 games and am in my first tournament next weekend.  Right now I am running a LoC, Gaunt Summoner, Tzaangor Shaman and am trying to decide on the Blue Scribes, an Ogroid, or Curseling for the 4th wizard. I'll have a unit of 20 Tzaangors, 10 Pinks, 10 Kairic Acolytes and 6 Enlightened on Disk.  The rest will probably be endless spells. 

Hey there,

I was considering getting into disciples of tzeentch, considering a deamon heavy army with some tzaangors as mobile killers. My biggest problems is that the models for horrors just don't appeal to me. I was considering using nighthaunt spirit hosts, 1 per base, maybe with some different faces as horros. Do you think anyone would have a problem with that? 

16 minutes ago, Frowny said:

Hey there,

I was considering getting into disciples of tzeentch, considering a deamon heavy army with some tzaangors as mobile killers. My biggest problems is that the models for horrors just don't appeal to me. I was considering using nighthaunt spirit hosts, 1 per base, maybe with some different faces as horros. Do you think anyone would have a problem with that? 

Go for it!

It's not like your taking grots and saying they're fyreslayers! Now that would be a stretch. 😜

750 point game and was thinking :

G S with familiars

Ogroid 

10 pinks

10 tzaangors 

Thoughts? It's a slow grow league and I'll have several battles gainst different armies. Not sure if I need more heroes 

Edited by MattyP

On 5/13/2019 at 5:14 PM, MattyP said:

750 point game and was thinking :

G S with familiars

Ogroid 

10 pinks

10 tzaangors 

Thoughts? It's a slow grow league and I'll have several battles gainst different armies. Not sure if I need more heroes 

Think you gonna need more dmg. Tzaangors wont do that much for you in that setup. Unless you really can utilize the Icon mortal wound.

I think at that low points, its best to go either pure deamon, og pure Tzaangors.

Doing a Escalation leage my self at the moment, and right now i am running:

1Harald on foot.

2 x 10 Pink horrors

2x1 Exalted Flamer.

1 hour ago, Txivneeb said:

Think you gonna need more dmg. Tzaangors wont do that much for you in that setup. Unless you really can utilize the Icon mortal wound.

I think at that low points, its best to go either pure deamon, og pure Tzaangors.

Doing a Escalation leage my self at the moment, and right now i am running:

1Harald on foot.

2 x 10 Pink horrors

2x1 Exalted Flamer.

I think you really need a second hero in that setup, if your herald gets snipe early, it's basically game over.

4 hours ago, Pandamina said:

So, new boat endless spell will be extra spell portal for Tzeentch armies. Moving pinks to objective, killing one for summoning points and casting a powerful spell like new pyramids to hold opponents army.

Yes, it could definitely be useful for horrors, really depends on how many points it is. Shame we can't move the lord of change around, but alas.

Interesting thing is that the unit transported by boat can still move in the movement phase too. 

16 hours ago, P'tarix said:

Yes, it could definitely be useful for horrors, really depends on how many points it is. Shame we can't move the lord of change around, but alas.

Interesting thing is that the unit transported by boat can still move in the movement phase too. 

This stood out to me for Changehost actually for that reason, basically replacing the old Changeling with a cheap boat. Cast the boat, move horrors, cast with horrors, swap for LoC, cast with him, gaunt summoner sacs some other horrors with arcane sacrifice and all of a sudden you have 20+ brimstones 30" up the board in the turn one hero phase. Could be a resurgence of actual board control Tzeentch

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sugar Maple said:

This stood out to me for Changehost actually for that reason, basically replacing the old Changeling with a cheap boat. Cast the boat, move horrors, cast with horrors, swap for LoC, cast with him, gaunt summoner sacs some other horrors with arcane sacrifice and all of a sudden you have 20+ brimstones 30" up the board in the turn one hero phase. Could be a resurgence of actual board control Tzeentch

Yes, love it. Gives us a more flexible alternative than the mirror to make sure we can get decent damage output and board control when forced to take the first turn.

33 minutes ago, Sugar Maple said:

Sadly Change Host's swap is "at he start of the Hero Phase".

54 minutes ago, Fenomeen said:

I really hope they decrease some of the play points for the endless spells. That would be huge for us.

Also make pinks cost 180 ^^

Hyped for the GB2019 release

I do think some endless spells could lose some points (all except Cogs, Pendulum and Germids).

But in terms of our units, I'd argue that Pink horrors are one of the few units that don't need to be reduced (Acolytes, Enlighted  on disks and Guant Summoner with Familiars are the others). 

1 minute ago, Magnus The Blue said:

I do think some endless spells could lose some points (all except Cogs, Pendulum and Germids).

But in terms of our units, I'd argue that Pink horrors are one of the few units that don't need to be reduced (Acolytes, Enlighted  on disks and Guant Summoner with Familiars are the others). 

If they want to keep pushing endless spells they might have incentive to buff it. Seeing how all realms will get spells probably.

Fingers crossed. I'm also curious to the play points of the forbidden power spells. They have 0 points in the army builder was really happy for a second until i realized its probably just not up yet QQ

1 hour ago, Landohammer said:

Honest Wargamer posted Forbidden Power  points to Twitter. Are we allowed to post points costs in this forum? I didn't see any rules specifically prohibiting it.

Horrorghast- 60

Soul Seeker - 60

Shards - 40

Bridge - 80

Engine - 100

Ouch, Bridge, Horrorghast and Engine seem unplayable at those costs. 

Shards feels like the big winner. 

my first attempt at a battle report...i cut/pasted my opponent's and changed the wording...

In this battle, I faced off against Seraphon. We picked Battle for the Pass and he won the deployment roll. As we both had 6 drops, he was able to finish first and opted to go first. he rolled a 5 for the Constellation: Sage's Staff for Re-Roll Hit rolls of 1.

My list;

Gaunt Summoner w/ familiars

Ogriod

10 x acolytes

10 x pinks

Burning Chariot

Vortex beast

….don’t remember his list but think he started with

Star priest

Slann

10 skinks

10 skinks

10 skinks

6? ripperdactyls

Seraphon T1: he cast Cogs and slowed down time, but failed Balewind. Summon Starlight and Serpent Staff on Razordons. He teleported his far right unit of Skinks to the left objective. In movement, he flew the Rippers up to gain the right objective and hoped for a good charge roll. Middle Skinks and Razordons advanced to cement control of his objective and get range for shooting in subsequent turns. he failed the charge on the Rippers and opted not to re-roll it with CP. he had 4 Skinks in range of my Acolytes for shooting, but forgot to shoot them. 5-0 Seraphon.

Tzeentch T1: he managed to unbind 3 of my 4 casts, so that was a bummer. I got off Mystic Shield on the the Vortex Beast. The Vortex Beast's ability inflicted 3 wounds. My Acolytes and Ogroid moved up to contest the left objective. The Vortex Beast moved up into charge range. In shooting, the Chariot managed 2 more wounds. his left unit of Skinks took fire from Acolytes and Pinks and lost 3. The Vortex Beast made its charge, but Acolytes failed. In combat, the Vortex Beast inflicted 5 more wounds. 5-1 Seraphon

Tzeentch T2: Tzeentch won priority. he didn't manage to unbind any spells this round and 1 or 2 offensive spells (bolt of tzeentch and infernal flames I think) went into the Rippers and 1 went into his left Skinks. Vortex Beast's ability finished off the Rippers, giving me control of the right objective. The Vortex Beast was now free to advance and did so towards his middle Skinks. Acolytes and Ogroid continued their advance and gained control of the left objective. Shooting saw his left unit of Skinks melt and 6 of the middle skinks die. The Vortex Beast charged the Razordons and he failed their Instinctive Defense. Ensuing combat here inflicted 2 wounds on the Razordons and 4 wounds to the Vortex Beast. 5-6 Tzeentch

Seraphon T2:he successfully cast Balewind and left Cogs on +1 spell casts, gaining 13 CCP. he attempted to cast the Realm Spell Banishment, with a Cast Value of 8, to throw the Vortex Beast back, but failed. He teleported the Slann and 4 remaining Skinks to the right objective, gaining control. He Couldn't move anything, but brought in 3x Ripper, a Sally, and 3x Handlers. Shooting into the Vortex Beast with Razordons, inflicted two more wounds. The Salamander shot into the Chariot and got a 6 on the damage roll. Chariot gone! In Combat, the Razordons did inflict more damage on the Vortex Beast, but lost two models. 8-6 Seraphon

Seraphon T3: He  again attempted Banishment with the Starpriest and again failed it. the Slann stayed put. The Skink Priest got the additional cast and used it on Summon Starlight. he rolled an 11, but I  used two 6s from my destiny dice to unbind. He moved the summoned Rippers towards the Vortex Beast, in case the Razordons couldn't finish him off, but this proved unnecessary as the Razordons shot him off the board. 11-6 Seraphon

Tzeentch T3: having trouble remembering what happened, but I forgot to summon either here or last round…could have summoned blues. I think I failed 2 or 3 spells as well, so not a great turn other than maintaining control of the left objective. I had acolytes shoot into the ripperdactlyls…I think I did some damage or killed one, but the other shooting whiffed. 11-9 Seraphon

Seraphon T4: The Slann teleports back and controls the Cogs, givin it a bunch of summoning points I think. he move the two remaining Rippers to attempt a charge into the Acolytes, reposition the three units around the right objective, and move up the Razordons to also shoot at the Acolytes. EoM he summons in a Bastiladon. In shooting he was able to remove 5 of the 10 Acolytes, but then fail the charge on the Ripperdactyls and the Command Point re-roll charge. 14-9 Seraphon

Tzeentch T4: I gained more Blue Horror points from Arcane sacrifice, allowing the GS to cast his spells into the ripperdactyls or the right side skinks (not sure which). Movement saw the Acolytes move up to charge the Rippers and i summoned a unit of 10 Blues to accompany the Ogroid and keep control of the left objective and another unit of 10 Blues to contest the right objective. Both units of Blues and the Acolytes and some Pinks are able to shoot, killing 1 Handler and 4 Skinks on the right objective and wounding the Rippers. The Acolytes make their charge, as do the right unit of Blues. In combat, the Acolytes manage to kill a Ripper and inflict 2 wounds onto the last one. The Blues kill another Handler, but don't damage the salamander. he strikes back and kills 3 Acolytes and 2 Blues. 14-14 tie

Seraphon T5: He gets more summoning points and teleports stuff out of combat. He then summoned in a unit of Skinks and 3 more Rippers. The Razordons are able to kill off the remaining Acolytes in shooting, and the Bastiladon manages 3 wounds into the Blues on the left objective. Tzeentch removed the three closest Blues to the objective which left his ripper in range and me out of range of that one. 17-14 Seraphon

Tzeentch T5: All that really matters here is that i moved the Ogroid and remaining 7 Blues onto the left objective, cementing the win. 17-19 Tzeentch. Humorously, we lost track of the rounds and ended up playing into turn 6, thinking it was turn 5.

Post Battle Analysis

The burning chariot was not very impressive as it fizzled…seriously 6 wounds for it?? The Vortex beast was good and I enjoy using him. Should have gotten the Ogroid in closer casting range earlier on I feel. Need to pay closer attention to Fate/Blue horror points as I could have summoned at T2, but forgot (I think it was T2….lol). Seraphon summoning is ridiculous and it felt like an uphill battle with all his summoning craziness. Maybe should have done tzaangors instead?? Not sure if they would have faired better. Casting rolls weren't great and he unbound a lot….so that was frustrating….and he didn’t cast much as he took the points to allow him to summon (like 10 points for each non-cast spell?!). I don’t look forward to their update.

this was a win, and i'll take it….LOL.... tried something new with the chariot and it fizzled. from my perspective, tzeentch needs an update; which probably says something about my playstyle/skill level rather than the army....as several people say tzeentch is not in a bad state; but i feel like I just struggle each game.

Edited by MattyP
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Ouch, Bridge, Horrorghast and Engine seem unplayable at those costs. 

Shards feels like the big winner. 

We see a ton of Cogs and a fair bit of Spellportals in lists,  so I'm beginning to think that 60pts is the magic number.  Seems appropriate since most of the cheapest units game-wide start around 70-80pts. 

Bridge is pretty much dead on arrival. Soul Seeker fills the roll better and cheaper.  Engine is a cool concept but 100pts is laughable. Why not just pay 100pts for two guaranteed CP and a roll on the Triumph table?

I may have to pass on this set. Not sure Shards and Soulseeker alone are worth the cost of a start collecting box. :/

15 hours ago, Landohammer said:

We see a ton of Cogs and a fair bit of Spellportals in lists,  so I'm beginning to think that 60pts is the magic number.  Seems appropriate since most of the cheapest units game-wide start around 70-80pts. 

Bridge is pretty much dead on arrival. Soul Seeker fills the roll better and cheaper.  Engine is a cool concept but 100pts is laughable. Why not just pay 100pts for two guaranteed CP and a roll on the Triumph table?

I may have to pass on this set. Not sure Shards and Soulseeker alone are worth the cost of a start collecting box. :/

Yes hard pass for me. If they were smart they would make the endless spells free or very cheap for marketing purposes. I'm not paying 70euro for probably 1 playable endless spells (soulseeker smh).

Better look up the base size and try to convert the soulseeker i guess

23 hours ago, MattyP said:

my first attempt at a battle report...i cut/pasted my opponent's and changed the wording...

In this battle, I faced off against Seraphon. We picked Battle for the Pass and he won the deployment roll. As we both had 6 drops, he was able to finish first and opted to go first. he rolled a 5 for the Constellation: Sage's Staff for Re-Roll Hit rolls of 1.

My list;

Gaunt Summoner w/ familiars

Ogriod

10 x acolytes

10 x pinks

Burning Chariot

Vortex beast

….don’t remember his list but think he started with

Star priest

Slann

10 skinks

10 skinks

10 skinks

6? ripperdactyls

Seraphon T1: he cast Cogs and slowed down time, but failed Balewind. Summon Starlight and Serpent Staff on Razordons. He teleported his far right unit of Skinks to the left objective. In movement, he flew the Rippers up to gain the right objective and hoped for a good charge roll. Middle Skinks and Razordons advanced to cement control of his objective and get range for shooting in subsequent turns. he failed the charge on the Rippers and opted not to re-roll it with CP. he had 4 Skinks in range of my Acolytes for shooting, but forgot to shoot them. 5-0 Seraphon.

Tzeentch T1: he managed to unbind 3 of my 4 casts, so that was a bummer. I got off Mystic Shield on the the Vortex Beast. The Vortex Beast's ability inflicted 3 wounds. My Acolytes and Ogroid moved up to contest the left objective. The Vortex Beast moved up into charge range. In shooting, the Chariot managed 2 more wounds. his left unit of Skinks took fire from Acolytes and Pinks and lost 3. The Vortex Beast made its charge, but Acolytes failed. In combat, the Vortex Beast inflicted 5 more wounds. 5-1 Seraphon

Tzeentch T2: Tzeentch won priority. he didn't manage to unbind any spells this round and 1 or 2 offensive spells (bolt of tzeentch and infernal flames I think) went into the Rippers and 1 went into his left Skinks. Vortex Beast's ability finished off the Rippers, giving me control of the right objective. The Vortex Beast was now free to advance and did so towards his middle Skinks. Acolytes and Ogroid continued their advance and gained control of the left objective. Shooting saw his left unit of Skinks melt and 6 of the middle skinks die. The Vortex Beast charged the Razordons and he failed their Instinctive Defense. Ensuing combat here inflicted 2 wounds on the Razordons and 4 wounds to the Vortex Beast. 5-6 Tzeentch

Seraphon T2:he successfully cast Balewind and left Cogs on +1 spell casts, gaining 13 CCP. he attempted to cast the Realm Spell Banishment, with a Cast Value of 8, to throw the Vortex Beast back, but failed. He teleported the Slann and 4 remaining Skinks to the right objective, gaining control. He Couldn't move anything, but brought in 3x Ripper, a Sally, and 3x Handlers. Shooting into the Vortex Beast with Razordons, inflicted two more wounds. The Salamander shot into the Chariot and got a 6 on the damage roll. Chariot gone! In Combat, the Razordons did inflict more damage on the Vortex Beast, but lost two models. 8-6 Seraphon

Seraphon T3: He  again attempted Banishment with the Starpriest and again failed it. the Slann stayed put. The Skink Priest got the additional cast and used it on Summon Starlight. he rolled an 11, but I  used two 6s from my destiny dice to unbind. He moved the summoned Rippers towards the Vortex Beast, in case the Razordons couldn't finish him off, but this proved unnecessary as the Razordons shot him off the board. 11-6 Seraphon

Tzeentch T3: having trouble remembering what happened, but I forgot to summon either here or last round…could have summoned blues. I think I failed 2 or 3 spells as well, so not a great turn other than maintaining control of the left objective. I had acolytes shoot into the ripperdactlyls…I think I did some damage or killed one, but the other shooting whiffed. 11-9 Seraphon

Seraphon T4: The Slann teleports back and controls the Cogs, givin it a bunch of summoning points I think. he move the two remaining Rippers to attempt a charge into the Acolytes, reposition the three units around the right objective, and move up the Razordons to also shoot at the Acolytes. EoM he summons in a Bastiladon. In shooting he was able to remove 5 of the 10 Acolytes, but then fail the charge on the Ripperdactyls and the Command Point re-roll charge. 14-9 Seraphon

Tzeentch T4: I gained more Blue Horror points from Arcane sacrifice, allowing the GS to cast his spells into the ripperdactyls or the right side skinks (not sure which). Movement saw the Acolytes move up to charge the Rippers and i summoned a unit of 10 Blues to accompany the Ogroid and keep control of the left objective and another unit of 10 Blues to contest the right objective. Both units of Blues and the Acolytes and some Pinks are able to shoot, killing 1 Handler and 4 Skinks on the right objective and wounding the Rippers. The Acolytes make their charge, as do the right unit of Blues. In combat, the Acolytes manage to kill a Ripper and inflict 2 wounds onto the last one. The Blues kill another Handler, but don't damage the salamander. he strikes back and kills 3 Acolytes and 2 Blues. 14-14 tie

Seraphon T5: He gets more summoning points and teleports stuff out of combat. He then summoned in a unit of Skinks and 3 more Rippers. The Razordons are able to kill off the remaining Acolytes in shooting, and the Bastiladon manages 3 wounds into the Blues on the left objective. Tzeentch removed the three closest Blues to the objective which left his ripper in range and me out of range of that one. 17-14 Seraphon

Tzeentch T5: All that really matters here is that i moved the Ogroid and remaining 7 Blues onto the left objective, cementing the win. 17-19 Tzeentch. Humorously, we lost track of the rounds and ended up playing into turn 6, thinking it was turn 5.

Post Battle Analysis

The burning chariot was not very impressive as it fizzled…seriously 6 wounds for it?? The Vortex beast was good and I enjoy using him. Should have gotten the Ogroid in closer casting range earlier on I feel. Need to pay closer attention to Fate/Blue horror points as I could have summoned at T2, but forgot (I think it was T2….lol). Seraphon summoning is ridiculous and it felt like an uphill battle with all his summoning craziness. Maybe should have done tzaangors instead?? Not sure if they would have faired better. Casting rolls weren't great and he unbound a lot….so that was frustrating….and he didn’t cast much as he took the points to allow him to summon (like 10 points for each non-cast spell?!). I don’t look forward to their update.

this was a win, and i'll take it….LOL.... tried something new with the chariot and it fizzled. from my perspective, tzeentch needs an update; which probably says something about my playstyle/skill level rather than the army....as several people say tzeentch is not in a bad state; but i feel like I just struggle each game.

Thanks for posting the battle report. I enjoyed reading it. I agree that the chariot is not worth it for the points. I really like having Tzaangors to sit on an objective and hold it. I also run a mixed army and my battle line is usually 1 unit of 10 Pink Horrors, 1 unit of 20 Tzaangors, and 1 unit of either 10 Kairic Acolytes oe 10 Chaos Warriors but I have been using Acolytes more often lately. 

We have a lot of things to keep track of so don't feel bad. I am also guilty of forgetting to summon sometimes. I made a flow chart to use during my turn and in big bold letters I put Summon at the end of the movement phase. 

I just put together a Vortex Beast I plan to paint it this weekend and am excited to try him out in the league I am in. He might not be the most competitive but I love the model. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BarbecueGamer said:

Thanks for posting the battle report. I enjoyed reading it. I agree that the chariot is not worth it for the points. I really like having Tzaangors to sit on an objective and hold it. I also run a mixed army and my battle line is usually 1 unit of 10 Pink Horrors, 1 unit of 20 Tzaangors, and 1 unit of either 10 Kairic Acolytes oe 10 Chaos Warriors but I have been using Acolytes more often lately. 

We have a lot of things to keep track of so don't feel bad. I am also guilty of forgetting to summon sometimes. I made a flow chart to use during my turn and in big bold letters I put Summon at the end of the movement phase. 

I just put together a Vortex Beast I plan to paint it this weekend and am excited to try him out in the league I am in. He might not be the most competitive but I love the model. 

I am going to try the chariot one more time as I'll be playing either fires layers or khorne tonight....and they don't have magic of shooting.....that I've seen....I love the Vortex beast and have 2 (both not painted lol) as it is very tzeentchy ....at worst, it provides a distraction to opponents so I can focus on other things .....so I'm a fan.....would to have 2 in a list 

Edited by MattyP

So after my win last game, I suffered a big loss from DoK ....they were a steam roller and just plowed through everything . I saw it coming early on and basically just waited for the end. 

Edited by MattyP

On 5/24/2019 at 4:49 AM, Fenomeen said:

Yes hard pass for me. If they were smart they would make the endless spells free or very cheap for marketing purposes. I'm not paying 70euro for probably 1 playable endless spells (soulseeker smh).

Better look up the base size and try to convert the soulseeker i guess

I'm in the same boat (pun intended) but can't find a good alternative model. Currently looking at the dreadfleet shadewraith boat ofd Ebay with a few blue horrors and no sails. Any other tzeentch boat ideas?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sugar Maple said:

I'm in the same boat (pun intended) but can't find a good alternative model. Currently looking at the dreadfleet shadewraith boat ofd Ebay with a few blue horrors and no sails. Any other tzeentch boat ideas?

I was thinking a wooden raft  (paint a corkscrew like wood for example )with horrors on top and water basing ( if i can pull it off)

poor mans ship

but i havent really thought it through yet because i'm in no hurry to get/play the boat in my 2k list for now. but good luck be sure to post pictures if you came up with something!