AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, Grotruk said:
Hey guys.

Dou you think either a lord sorcerer or a tzaangor shaman is always a must have in a 9 enlightened/skyfire list ?
Have a good day !

@mmimzie is great with the maths here. I believe the Lord Sorcerer is 'better' if just running the 9 enlightened. However, if running both the shamans buff will get you more mileage. Take this with a pinch of salt though as we are looking at this in a vacuum and not comparing across different scenarios, play styles and list composition.

I personally prefer the shaman due to his increased mobility and additional spell if needed along with the buffs to both units, just remember to factor in the wholly within requirements and your good to go.

18 minutes ago, CountryMou3e said:

@mmimzie is great with the maths here. I believe the Lord Sorcerer is 'better' if just running the 9 enlightened. However, if running both the shamans buff will get you more mileage. Take this with a pinch of salt though as we are looking at this in a vacuum and not comparing across different scenarios, play styles and list composition.

I personally prefer the shaman due to his increased mobility and additional spell if needed along with the buffs to both units, just remember to factor in the wholly within requirements and your good to go.

The bonus from either is nice, but hardly essential, in my experience.  I find max enlightened units are usually overkilling units without the bonus and 180 point is a lot to drop for a 1 cast (2 once) wizard who is bad in combat.  That said, it is important to have a hero who can keep up with them, losing them to battle shock really stings.

10 minutes ago, Magnus The Blue said:

The bonus from either is nice, but hardly essential, in my experience.  I find max enlightened units are usually overkilling units without the bonus and 180 point is a lot to drop for a 1 cast (2 once) wizard who is bad in combat.  That said, it is important to have a hero who can keep up with them, losing them to battle shock really stings.

I tend to use my shaman to drop blues on objectives or zone out / protect the enlightened if needs be. the shaman is also well worth the points if its buffing 3 units in my case :)

3 hours ago, CountryMou3e said:

I tend to use my shaman to drop blues on objectives or zone out / protect the enlightened if needs be. the shaman is also well worth the points if its buffing 3 units in my case :)

Thank you ! These arguments convinced me, and I'm happy to read that because i've the "arcanite changecult" box ! 😛

On 1/20/2019 at 4:29 PM, Sumanye said:

But you don’t go by the newest one though.  The last FAQ makes this explicitly clear, you go by the warscroll with a date, which is the one in the app.

edit:  the warscroll says Sep 2018 btw, also when BoC was released right?  So it’s not clear that the book is even the newest.

But it doesn't explicitly state that it has to be published by GW, so by this logic I can just post one I made up on here with today's date and then everyone has to use that? :P 

On 1/20/2019 at 7:35 PM, Sumanye said:

The date in question for the FAQ is the date on the warscroll, not the date of publication ;)

But, yes I agree it is likely a mistake.  +2 to hit makes the Aviarch bonus useless, and sadly, +2 to hit still doesn’t make Skyfires more attractive than Enlightened tbh :(

Doesn't say that the date has to be written on the warscroll. It says "Warscrolls with a date of publication." A warscroll in a book has the books date of publication as the date the warscroll was published.

15 hours ago, Lughaidh said:

For the Acolytes and Tzaangors Acanite Shield ability; If the roll fails, does the damage have to go on the model with the shield?  The warscrolls says "before allocating a wound or mortal wound to a model that has an Arcanite Shield."

They are worded differently, I've read of people playing both how the Tzaangors read, though they specifically state their unit name if contains can roll the save. Arcanites read the model wounded must have the shield. They are such through away unit that probably best to equip all with shield anyhow for the slight additionally survivability.

8 minutes ago, Gilby said:

But it doesn't explicitly state that it has to be published by GW, so by this logic I can just post one I made up on here with today's date and then everyone has to use that? :P 

Doesn't say that the date has to be written on the warscroll. It says "Warscrolls with a date of publication." A warscroll in a book has the books date of publication as the date the warscroll was published.

To the second comment, this is a good point, but either way, the one in BoC was not published after the one in the app, so the app warscroll is still the newest. 

16 minutes ago, Sumanye said:

To the second comment, this is a good point, but either way, the one in BoC was not published after the one in the app, so the app warscroll is still the newest. 

I’m not sure how you’re coming to that conclusion since they both have a publication date of “September 2018”?

1 minute ago, Luke1705 said:

I’m not sure how you’re coming to that conclusion since they both have a publication date of “September 2018”?

The warscrolls were updated after the book dropped, were they not?  I could be wrong, but that is what I remember.  

1 minute ago, Sumanye said:

The warscrolls were updated after the book dropped, were they not?  I could be wrong, but that is what I remember.  

The warscrolls have a publication date of September 2018 in the app. The warscrolls in the book have a date of September 2018. Would love to hear arguments for which is “newer” or how the “beasts of chaos book has no publication date for the skyfire warscroll” in light of page 78 of the BoC book. See attached images

5EA5F9D8-F155-4906-9059-FC0E64F736EE.jpeg

9E55D763-922E-46E0-9621-B8D586E4124A.png

As people wanted to be explicit, app says "last updated", not published, FAQ uses the word "published". So use what's in the book and don't stack the ability they've moved off of the skyfires/enlightened onto the shaman.

Edited by Gilby

1 minute ago, Gilby said:

As people wanted to be explicit, app says "last updated", not published, FAQ uses the word "published". So use what's in the book and don't stack the ability they've moved off of the skyfires/enlightened onto the shaman.

Both the app and the BoC battletome use the “last updated” language anyhow so the semantic distinctions are moot.

32 minutes ago, Luke1705 said:

The warscrolls have a publication date of September 2018 in the app. The warscrolls in the book have a date of September 2018. Would love to hear arguments for which is “newer” or how the “beasts of chaos book has no publication date for the skyfire warscroll” in light of page 78 of the BoC book. See attached images

5EA5F9D8-F155-4906-9059-FC0E64F736EE.jpeg

9E55D763-922E-46E0-9621-B8D586E4124A.png

Oh, I did not realize that there was a listed date in the book (well, beyond the book publishing date obviously), so thank you.  I was only looking at the warscroll itself.  Of course, it does not change the situation, so we’ll just have to wait until the app is corrected.

Edited by Sumanye
Typo

What strikes always strikes me as a bit weird is the way their judgement from afar is worded: "... inflicts d3 mortal wounds and the attack sequence ends (do not make a wound/save roll)" - kinda reads as if special abilites like Nurgle's couldn't be used here either (of course they would but the way it's worded it sounds as if no save ability (including Disgustingly resilient) was allowed)

Edited by MitGas
grammar

32 minutes ago, MitGas said:

What strikes always strikes me as a bit weird is the way their judgement from afar is worded: "... inflicts d3 mortal wounds and the attack sequence ends (do not make a wound/save roll)" - kinda reads as if special abilites like Nurgle's couldn't be used here either (of course they would but the way it's worded it sounds as if no save ability (including Disgustingly resilient) was allowed)

A save roll is the roll you make to save an inflicted wound  using the save characteristic (adjusted for modifiers). Disgustingly resilient, death save, etc. isn't a save roll it's an ability that prevents or reduces damage. See Skarrbrand's rule on total carnage for an example of where this is distinction is made.

All that rule is saying is don't make the wound/save roll for the successful hit you just made.

• Thanks 1

What are people's thoughts on the blue scribes? He's an auto include just for his own spell but late game he tends to go out and claim objectives and win games. He's got so many cool rules it's a shame they can't all be used at once. I haven't seen them in many lists on here or anywhere else for that matter.

I also tend to use wellspring of arcane might for redundancy. 

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, obmik1 said:

What are people's thoughts on the blue scribes? He's an auto include just for his own spell but late game he tends to go out and claim objectives and win games. He's got so many cool rules it's a shame they can't all be used at once. I haven't seen them in many lists on here or anywhere else for that matter.

I also tend to use wellspring of arcane might for redundancy. 

Thoughts?

I run him in all my lists , he synergises well with our casters and the ability to learn some pretty nasty spells then cast them on a 2up is awesome. 16” move and 140pts , he’s a barg for sure. Squishy though , looks after them and they’ll  bag you some objective points ! 

Trying to decide whether to start IDK or build a Tzeentch army and I already have some Tzeentch models and bought the Battletome recently. 

Regarding Lords of Change, which is "better"? A Lord of Change or Kairos Fateweaver? I've looked through the Battletome and they seem very different, presumably that is why they have the same points cost, as they are doing different things. The Oracle of Eternity seems nice but you lose out on the Command Ability, but, having access to all spells close to him seems like a decent thing to, presuming this works with Endless Spells too? 

Just looking for input from those people more in the know. I already have the model and it's built as Kairos but my group wouldn't care if I played him as a regular LoC. Should also mention that we're not super competitive, just looking at my options for including a cool birdie.