AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I got a quick question. I've seen a few battle reports where Tzeentch players have cast offensive spells such as Infernal Gateway on the LoC without there being any enemies in range in order to generate fate points. I had always thought you needed a viable target to cast a spell but now I'm not sure. Are you allowed to cast offensive spells and generate fate points even if the spell will not target anything?

First you cast the spell and roll the dices, and then you nominate the unit you target and resolve the effect of the spell, check the range etc

Nothing is said regarding the target unit being in range or not

Edited by Alezya

I've read on here a couple times about Skyfires not having the +1 to hit from the Shaman and that the war scroll with +1 hit is old, however, the recent FAQ says a war scroll with a date on it is to be taken over any war scroll without a date.  The AoS app war scroll is the only one I see with a date (September 2018), the BoC book and the war scroll builder both do not have a date.  I'm confused how the war scroll with +1 hit for Skyfires is not the correct war scroll.  If anyone has an answer, thanks!

Edited by Sumanye
typo
  • Like 1

Hey I got a question guys. Can you cast the same lore of change/fate spells multiple times per turn?

Because one of the spells specifically stated that you can't do it again. The rule also says all wizards can know the same spell.

Edited by IRifter

6 minutes ago, IRifter said:

Hey I got a question guys. Can you cast the same lore of change/fate spells multiple times per turn?

Because one of the spells specifically stated that you can't do it again. The rule also says all wizards can know the same spell.

Base rules state you cannot, so the spell needs to specifically allow it to work.

12 hours ago, Sumanye said:

I've read on here a couple times about Skyfires not having the +1 to hit from the Shaman and that the war scroll with +1 hit is old, however, the recent FAQ says a war scroll with a date on it is to be taken over any war scroll without a date.  The AoS app war scroll is the only one I see with a date (September 2018), the BoC book and the war scroll builder both do not have a date.  I'm confused how the war scroll with +1 hit for Skyfires is not the correct war scroll.  If anyone has an answer, thanks!

The +1 hit for skyfires/enlightened was moved over to the shamans warscrolls as of BoC release. The warscrolls on the app are the most upto ones that you use 

5 minutes ago, CountryMou3e said:

The +1 hit for skyfires/enlightened was moved over to the shamans warscrolls as of BoC release. The warscrolls on the app are the most upto ones that you use 

But the app warscroll says Skyfires have +1 to hit, Preternatural Enhancement.  What am I missing here?

10 minutes ago, Sumanye said:

But the app warscroll says Skyfires have +1 to hit, Preternatural Enhancement.  What am I missing here?

Or not in that case ! The boc scroll is still the most upto date, which doesn’t have preternatural enhancement. Report the error to the AoS app team and here’s the link to the warscroll you need to use 

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-tzaangor-skyfires-en.pdf

Hey ! What do you think about this roster ? :

Allegiance: Tzeentch

Leaders
Kairos Fateweaver (380)
- Lore of Change: Bolt of Tzeentch
Gaunt Summoner (180)
- General
- Trait: Magical Supremacy
- Artefact: Aspect of Tzeentch
- Lore of Fate: Treacherous Bond
- Lore of Change: Fold Reality

Battleline
10 x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (200)
- Lore of Change: Treason of Tzeentch
- Lore of Change: Unchecked Mutation

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 20
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 39

I want to make a tanky kairos with the teacherous bond.

9 hours ago, CountryMou3e said:

Or not in that case ! The boc scroll is still the most upto date, which doesn’t have preternatural enhancement. Report the error to the AoS app team and here’s the link to the warscroll you need to use 

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-tzaangor-skyfires-en.pdf

I hope I don't sound too "beardy", that is not my intention, but unless I am missing something, Tzaangor Skyfires get +2 to hit when near a Tzaangor Shaman.  The only Warscroll that has a date is the one with Preternatural Enhancement and the recent FAQ states that a Warscroll with a date takes precedence over any without a date.  This may be a typo, but what indication is there that it is?  How do we know the BoC Warscroll is not the typo?  Not trying to get an edge in, I just want to make sure I'm playing my Skyfires correctly.  Thanks!

6 hours ago, Diabolize said:

Hey ! What do you think about this roster ? :

Allegiance: Tzeentch

Leaders
Kairos Fateweaver (380)
- Lore of Change: Bolt of Tzeentch
Gaunt Summoner (180)
- General
- Trait: Magical Supremacy
- Artefact: Aspect of Tzeentch
- Lore of Fate: Treacherous Bond
- Lore of Change: Fold Reality

Battleline
- Lore of Change: Treason of Tzeentch
- Lore of Change: Unchecked Mutation

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 20
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 39

I want to make a tanky kairos with the teacherous bond.

My understanding is that in spite of being both Arcanite and Daemon, The Gaunt Summoner can only pick one spell for either the Lore of Change or Lore of Fate.

I hope I don't sound too "beardy", that is not my intention, but unless I am missing something, Tzaangor Skyfires get +2 to hit when near a Tzaangor Shaman.  The only Warscroll that has a date is the one with Preternatural Enhancement and the recent FAQ states that a Warscroll with a date takes precedence over any without a date.  This may be a typo, but what indication is there that it is?  How do we know the BoC Warscroll is not the typo?  Not trying to get an edge in, I just want to make sure I'm playing my Skyfires correctly.  Thanks!

This!

It's insignificant what warscroll you may take, as long it's the latest scroll avaiable. To make this clear, GW has given the latest scrolls a date. Anything without date is old. Not counting anymore. Sorry to tell. 

Edited by Aex

The skyfires’ newest warscroll is the one published in the BOC book, which is (sadly) different that the version in the app (and from the way they were in the DoT book).  We know this because we know when the books were released. So although the app has a mistake in it, you go by the BoC book. It’s just annoying for a pure DoT player to have to get the BoC book (or find out from people who own it) how your warscroll has changed

EDIT: TLDR no they don’t get +2 to hit

Edited by Luke1705

32 minutes ago, Luke1705 said:

The skyfires’ newest warscroll is the one published in the BOC book, which is (sadly) different that the version in the app (and from the way they were in the DoT book).  We know this because we know when the books were released. So although the app has a mistake in it, you go by the BoC book. It’s just annoying for a pure DoT player to have to get the BoC book (or find out from people who own it) how your warscroll has changed

EDIT: TLDR no they don’t get +2 to hit

But you don’t go by the newest one though.  The last FAQ makes this explicitly clear, you go by the warscroll with a date, which is the one in the app.

edit:  the warscroll says Sep 2018 btw, also when BoC was released right?  So it’s not clear that the book is even the newest.

Edited by Sumanye

1 hour ago, Sumanye said:

But you don’t go by the newest one though.  The last FAQ makes this explicitly clear, you go by the warscroll with a date, which is the one in the app.

edit:  the warscroll says Sep 2018 btw, also when BoC was released right?  So it’s not clear that the book is even the newest.

Yeah they absolutely updated the app to come in line with the beasts of chaos book, which happened at roughly the same time no doubt. Edit: “however it’s not clear that the date on the warscroll postdates the battletome, which has its own printed date of September 2018. So you can’t use that logic to say ‘app trumps battletome’ “

Clearly there is an error here, either by the dude who coded the app or by the publishing team who worked on the digital book, the print book, and the warscroll cards. Want to guess which is more likely?

They’ll either update the app one day to be in line with the book or release an errata that says “hey we misprinted thousands of books and the digital copies were also wrong and the people who printed the warscroll cards never noticed the error”

By all means feel free to play skyfires that hit on 2+ when they’re nearby a shaman. At the end of the day, it only really matters when you go to a tournament, where a TO a will rule it one way or the other. Personally, I would rule in favor of the print and digital versions as a TO because that seems the most likely to be their intention, but YMMV.

Edited by Luke1705
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Well the one in the book does have a date, it's call date of publication. You'll find it at the front of the book. 😉

The date in question for the FAQ is the date on the warscroll, not the date of publication ;)

But, yes I agree it is likely a mistake.  +2 to hit makes the Aviarch bonus useless, and sadly, +2 to hit still doesn’t make Skyfires more attractive than Enlightened tbh :(

3 hours ago, mmimzie said:

I think its a strwtch to use the app war scroll. You can but i think your being abit of a stubborn person and just trying to game that extra +1. 

That said the skyfyres eeven with the +1 still kinda suck. So meh. 

I think it’s an honest question. It’s pretty annoying that GW can’t update their app. I use the app exclusively for most things because it’s usually pretty accurate in my experience.

Also I don’t have issues with skyfires. They work really well to be the first activation which allows your enlightened to go second. They can snipe characters reasonably well. Their close combat is not awful. They’re probably a big expensive but that’s what fold reality is for.

• Like 1

For the Acolytes and Tzaangors Acanite Shield ability; If the roll fails, does the damage have to go on the model with the shield?  The warscrolls says "before allocating a wound or mortal wound to a model that has an Arcanite Shield."

Edited by Lughaidh

On 1/18/2019 at 11:41 PM, Sumanye said:

If you see the” Tzaangor shaman” warscroll again it has rules for both skyfires and enlightened. Basically you get +1 to hit and now they have to be wholly within 12 inches instead of the previous 9 inches. 

2 minutes ago, Mo7650 said:

Guys what is your opinion about the skyshoal coven battalion? Is it competitive? I was planning to use it and give my shaman the windthief charm to zip around the battlefield.

Feels like a waste of points to me, neither units need more movement.  The rest of my force struggles to keep up with the disk enlightened as it is!

• Thanks 1

I've got two 1.25k lists here. The top one I have played twice for 1/0/1. I'm very happy with the way it chaffs up the board summoning 1190 points and 1020 points of models over the two games I played. 

The problem is that the spell  casting is not very consistent and I don't like the amount of points tied up in endless spells. In my last game against Ironjawz I lost at the top of t3 because I couldn't remove a wizard from the objective. My opponent had 6 models on the board and I had only lost 1 unit of pink horrors to a rogue fold reality.

I'm worried that losing a unit of pinks in the second list will hurt it too much. Overall it's got less spells to cast but more consistent damage I believe. What do y'all think?

Leaders
Gaunt Summoner and Chaos Familiars (180)
The Blue Scribes (140)
Herald of Tzeentch on Disc (140)
- Staff of Change

Battleline
10 x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (200)

Endless Spells
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Quicksilver Swords (20)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1240 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 45

Leaders
Gaunt Summoner and Chaos Familiars (180)
The Blue Scribes (140)
Lord of Change (380)

Battleline

Endless Spells
Umbral Spellportal (60)
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1250 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 0