AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

So now that Tzeentch finally has its update I'm trying to put a list together that I can work towards painting. I've had a lot of trouble putting together arcanite lists with this book, since it seems I can never fit what I want into it.What I'd love to play is Tzaangor Coven, but you can barely squeeze a workable list in that battalion since you want the tzaangors in 20s and it won't cover your battleline. I did put this Guild of Summoners list together that I like the most but I'm looking for some critique before I start painting.
Allegiance: Tzeentch
- Change Coven: Guild of Summoners
Kairos Fateweaver (400)
- Lore of Change: Bolt of Tzeentch
Curseling, Eye of Tzeentch (160)
- Artefact: Brimstone Familiar
- Lore of Fate: Glimpse the Future
The Blue Scribes (120)
- Lore of Change: Unchecked Mutation
Tzaangor Shaman (150)
- General
- Command Trait: Prophet of the Ostensible
- Lore of Fate: Arcane Suggestion
10 x Kairic Acolytes (100)
20 x Tzaangors (360)
9 x Corvus Cabal (70)
- Allies
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (360)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Tome of Eyes (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 70 / 400
Wounds: 133

I'd love to fit a Fatemaster in, but I think I wouldn't have enough bodies/wounds if I tried to squeeze him in. Corvus Cabal are cool models and are just there for chaff since I could fit them in instead of just brims.

2 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

So now that Tzeentch finally has its update I'm trying to put a list together that I can work towards painting. I've had a lot of trouble putting together arcanite lists with this book, since it seems I can never fit what I want into it.What I'd love to play is Tzaangor Coven, but you can barely squeeze a workable list in that battalion since you want the tzaangors in 20s and it won't cover your battleline. I did put this Guild of Summoners list together that I like the most but I'm looking for some critique before I start painting.
Kairos Fateweaver (400)
Curseling, Eye of Tzeentch (160)
- Lore of Fate: Glimpse the Future
The Blue Scribes (120)
- Lore of Change: Unchecked Mutation
Tzaangor Shaman (150)
- General
20 x Tzaangors (360)
9 x Corvus Cabal (70)
- Allies
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (360)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Tome of Eyes (40)

Allies: 70 / 400
Wounds: 133

I'd love to fit a Fatemaster in, but I think I wouldn't have enough bodies/wounds if I tried to squeeze him in. Corvus Cabal are cool models and are just there for chaff since I could fit them in instead of just brims.

Couple of questions, is this going to be a competitive list you start taking to tournaments etc or is it just a friendly "get some cools models on the board and have fun" list that could double as a tournament list? Based on that, is there any main reason you took the GOS Coven at all? And is there a strategy behind taking the Curseling or is he more just rule of cool?

5 minutes ago, RUNCMD said:

Couple of questions, is this going to be a competitive list you start taking to tournaments etc or is it just a friendly "get some cools models on the board and have fun" list that could double as a tournament list? Based on that, is there any main reason you took the GOS Coven at all? And is there a strategy behind taking the Curseling or is he more just rule of cool?

Not looking for something thats gonna win tournaments, but I'm also looking for something that won't get run over.
I went for GoS mainly because I couldn't make the other subfactions work for what I want to do. I have a preference for Arcanites over Daemons for the most part, and love Tzaangors which don't fit well into any of the subfactions.  I've been painting up a few tester tzaangors (pink "Flamingors") and really want to get at least a few of them on the table.

Pyrofane is cool, but working tzaangors in is tough since you're really encouraged to spam acolytes, and the artifact is begging to be on a LoC. Cult of the Transient form is what I would love to play, but I played a few games (with unpainted models 🤢) and it just doesn't function the way you want it to. CP are hard to come by so the chance of getting Tzaangors is pretty low, Alter-kin Coven will trigger maybe once a game, and for the cost its just not worth it, Kairics are also quite weak in melee so them fighting when they die doesn't really accomplish anything, and to top it off it has the worst command trait/artifact in the book. 

Curseling is mainly a cool model, but since this is GoS he's valuable as a double caster and will be decent on a balewind. I could swap him out with something since this list does have 11 casts if I count the balewind vortex. Keeping that number high enough to get the first LoC early seems key to GoS.

My other consideration was to run Hosts Arcanum. Fatemaster running with a few screamers and the amulet could be a useful power pair, and I could get pregame moves on a few of my units. I'd also be able to drop the amount of casting I'm taking down a bit for more flexibility.

3 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Not looking for something thats gonna win tournaments, but I'm also looking for something that won't get run over.
I went for GoS mainly because I couldn't make the other subfactions work for what I want to do. I have a preference for Arcanites over Daemons for the most part, and love Tzaangors which don't fit well into any of the subfactions.  I've been painting up a few tester tzaangors (pink "Flamingors") and really want to get at least a few of them on the table.

Pyrofane is cool, but working tzaangors in is tough since you're really encouraged to spam acolytes, and the artifact is begging to be on a LoC. Cult of the Transient form is what I would love to play, but I played a few games (with unpainted models 🤢) and it just doesn't function the way you want it to. CP are hard to come by so the chance of getting Tzaangors is pretty low, Alter-kin Coven will trigger maybe once a game, and for the cost its just not worth it, Kairics are also quite weak in melee so them fighting when they die doesn't really accomplish anything, and to top it off it has the worst command trait/artifact in the book. 

Curseling is mainly a cool model, but since this is GoS he's valuable as a double caster and will be decent on a balewind. I could swap him out with something since this list does have 11 casts if I count the balewind vortex. Keeping that number high enough to get the first LoC early seems key to GoS.

My other consideration was to run Hosts Arcanum. Fatemaster running with a few screamers and the amulet could be a useful power pair, and I could get pregame moves on a few of my units. I'd also be able to drop the amount of casting I'm taking down a bit for more flexibility.

Yo def post some pictures of these Flamingors! I cant wait to see that!!!! Awesome idea!

Interesting. I was going to suggest either Cult of the Transient, based on your list and how it looks on paper, but I havent actually played it before so that would be my disclaimer! My other suggestion was going to be Host Arcanum because the free screamers, cant retreat within 3" and the trait are all really great imo and with something like the Tzaangors I think it works well, especially because of the guys on disc, kairos and the shaman, if you got the 3 on the D3 roll that's some solid movement there if you dont need the screamers to move after bringing them in. But I guess you would want to to just get all up in your opponents face right away and tag something so they HAVE to deal with those screamers before moving of anything else.

I played GOS the other day actually and I didnt mind it (was going to do a write up but I forgot to that night and now ive forgotten most of what happened) but a few things I found was that because I went second in the first round and miffed a few of those spells (even with re-rolls from the blue scribes) I couldnt get my LOC in in , which was crippling really, and when I did he came in turn two, wasn't of much use other than some shooting, so you really want to take turn 1 and get him in turn 1. Wouldn't be an issue for you with the Kairos and Curseling even if the Blue Scribes get popped, but I usually chuck them on the balewind to get the further distance etc for the re-rolls, so not sure you would want the Curseling on there? The anti battleshock stuff is really needed and great for Kairics/Arcanites in GOS and so is the extra command point on a 4. Dunno if you'll need the extra command point though because you havent taken the Fatemaster and we dont really need them for anything other than LOC CMD ability which you probably wouldnt use byt he time he's on the board or you might use it for the generic CMD abilities everyone gets? I took Fatemaster in the list I played on the weekend and on a bigger blob of 20 Kairics his ability works well for their shooting which is handy, but also like you said, they're average in combat and also as soon as they are touched they just fold to any attacks and battleshock!

I like your list, I run something very similar, and whilst he's a two cast wizard I dont usually run the Curseling because Ive not really found or had the use for him compared to someone like the Gaunt on Disc, but if anything he would be what I drop and take Fatemaster, because for what FM does, he's a great utility and also has awesome movement etc.

I think your hardest choice is the coven you take really. I think that the main focus of the book was really geared towards Daemons this time, which is fine, but Tzaangors of all varieties costing what they do really hurts hey. Like you said, you want to run no less than 20 and thats 360 points! Crazy really.

So I just finished painting up my Start Collecting StD Box and wondered where to go from here. I would like to build a Tzeentch themed army but I really love Knights and Warriors so I would like to have them in there mixed with Disciples Units and heroes. But no idea what is good right now or how to match StD and Tzeentch Units. Do you guys have any suggestions for lists that don't totally suck - even though I don't play tournaments so it doesn't need to be super competitive. Just lists that can stand their ground in regular semi competitive games. 

Should I go for a Start Collecting Tzeentch Box or just buy a couple of Tzangors and Akolites? Happy about all list suggestions, all I want is basically a Tzeentch army that includes the StD SC Box (and maybe 5 additional Knights - I love Chaos Knights and spend too much time painting them :D ).

What do you think about a list that goes something like this:

LEADERS

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (250)

Ogroid Thaumaturge (160)

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260) - General

Tzaangor Shaman (150)

UNITS

5 x Chaos Knights (180) - Ensorcelled Weapons

10 x Kairic Acolytes (100)

10 x Chaos Warriors (200) - Hand Weapon & Shield

3 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (180)

3 x Flamers of Tzeentch (120)

3 x Tzaangor Skyfires (200)

Its 2080 P. with the old points but with the decrease of Warriors, Knights and Chaos Lord it should hit the 2000. But maybe the list lacks some Endless Spells or anything else? 

Edited by Naem

3 hours ago, Naem said:

So I just finished painting up my Start Collecting StD Box and wondered where to go from here. I would like to build a Tzeentch themed army but I really love Knights and Warriors so I would like to have them in there mixed with Disciples Units and heroes. But no idea what is good right now or how to match StD and Tzeentch Units. Do you guys have any suggestions for lists that don't totally suck -

I don´t know wether my suggestions suck or not, I simply miss the experience.

But since 5th edition army book I always wanted to run a Knights of Tzeentch list, ie a list that is based on Knights and any kind of mounted warriors. The first problem that arises here is a lack of battleline which can be solved by running Eternall Conflagration (Flamers as battleline) or Hosts Arcanum (Screamers as battleline). In both cases you get battleline units that compliments the fast moving approach of Knights.

Flamers give you some outstanding shooting which never is a bad idea in a melee focused list. Screamers offer some fast moving objective grabbers.

IMO both the trait and artifact of Hosts Arcanum are better than those of Eternal Conflagration, but personally I prefer a strong base of Flamers to round out my force. Therefore I´m currently painting an army that offers Knights and Flamers in Eternal Conflagration. Unfortunately due to Covid19 there is no practice I can talk about.

5 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

I don´t know wether my suggestions suck or not, I simply miss the experience.

But since 5th edition army book I always wanted to run a Knights of Tzeentch list, ie a list that is based on Knights and any kind of mounted warriors. The first problem that arises here is a lack of battleline which can be solved by running Eternall Conflagration (Flamers as battleline) or Hosts Arcanum (Screamers as battleline). In both cases you get battleline units that compliments the fast moving approach of Knights.

Flamers give you some outstanding shooting which never is a bad idea in a melee focused list. Screamers offer some fast moving objective grabbers.

I would hands down go with the Screamers.  Its on theme and both being able to keep up with the knights to screen them and support them is important.  I get that Flamers are all the rage but without the buff package they just don't bring much to the table.

Something like:

- Change Coven: Hosts Arcanum
Kairos Fateweaver (400)
Fluxmaster, Herald of Tzeentch on Disc (130)
Magister on Disc of Tzeentch (140)
Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (170)
6 x Screamers of Tzeentch (160)
6 x Screamers of Tzeentch (160)
3 x Screamers of Tzeentch (80)
3 x Screamers of Tzeentch (80)
10 x Chaos Knights (360)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
10 x Chaos Knights (360)
- Ensorcelled Weapons

Total: 2040 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 147

That is a very interesting list, will definitely look into it. But for now I would like to have something more balanced between cavalry and infantry, not too much of a "rush" list like the one above. 

What do you think of my list above? Any suggestions for swaps? 

I've decided to get back into Tzeentch.. although I'm trying to avoid Horror spam outside of maybe just running 1 unit of Pinks. Anyway, couple of ideas I've throw around with others with tournament settings in mind.

GoS:

Spoiler

Leaders
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)
- General
Kairos Fateweaver (400)
- Lore of Change: Treason of Tzeentch
Changecaster, Herald of Tzeentch (110)
The Blue Scribes (120)
- Lore of Change: Tzeentch's Firestorm
Be'Lakor (240)
- Allies

Battleline

Units
6 x Tzaangor Skyfires (400)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Darkfire Daemonrift (80)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 240 / 400
Wounds: 98

Contemplated swapping Skyfires for Enlightened instead and using those 60 points leftover for another Endless Spell.. Pendulum or BW for the Changecaster or Blue Scribes maybe? That way I have more spellcasts on top of a high speed melee threat.. not that Skyfire's can't do decent in melee with the discs, but the Enlightened needing to go 2nd for the RR's is what worries me about using them.

Conflag Shooting:

Spoiler

- Change Coven: Eternal Conflaguration

Leaders
Lord of Change (380)
- General
- Command Trait: Coruscating Flames
- Artefact: Shroud of Warpflame
- Lore of Change: Fold Reality
Kairos Fateweaver (400)
The Blue Scribes (120)

Battleline
10 x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (220)
6 x Flamers of Tzeentch (280)

Units
1 x Exalted Flamers of Tzeentch (100)

Umbral Spellportal (70)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Wounds: 76

Changehost or no Changehost... kind of the question I've been asking myself. I'm sure the answer is likely a resounding "Well yeah, always you idiot?" but I wasn't sure. If I did that I would obviously drop Kairos but wouldn't be able to squeeze in another 10 Pinks without being 1 under the minimum of 8 Daemons, not to mention I would be negating my only rule of not having more than 1 unit of Pinks.. guess I could just do more Flamers.. or split what I have into MSU's of 3 😉.

But hey, that's why I'm asking here to see what you all think. I know there's been lots of list talk but I'm definitely looking at testing some stuff out on TTS for a couple months before anything is bought.

Edited by Gwendar

3 hours ago, Naem said:

That is a very interesting list, will definitely look into it. But for now I would like to have something more balanced between cavalry and infantry, not too much of a "rush" list like the one above. 

What do you think of my list above? Any suggestions for swaps? 

I would ditch the Flamers in favor of more Acolytes.  I know Flamers are all the rage but I find it hard to get behind them w/o the buff package.  Acolytes are fine battleline and bodies are never bad.  

I would upgrade the Enlightened to Skyfires.  I'm not sure you need another stabby unit w the StD units.  Plus I just tanked your shooting in carving out the Flamers.  Additional Skyfires would get that back and you definitely want some decent shooting.

I'm tempted to consolidate the Knights into 1 unit.  You don't really have a hammer unit per se and the Knights could provide that.  I'm not sure you should do both Knights and Warriors at 10 though.  However, I don't think you could do both though.  I like the coverage.  You could try it though.

I'm aggressive so I'd pick the knights but that's more preferrence than anything else.  The Chaos Lord does synergies with the Lord though.  Bonus points if you chase the dream of 3 3+/3+/-2 R/2D lances on the Knights!

Edited by Deadkitten

2 hours ago, Gwendar said:

guess I could just do more Flamers.. or split what I have into MSU's of 3 😉.

I can´t see a single reason to not run MSU with Flamers. There are no unit buffs what so ever which are good on larger Flamer units. Or did I miss something?

5 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

I can´t see a single reason to not run MSU with Flamers. There are no unit buffs what so ever which are good on larger Flamer units. Or did I miss something?

Nah, you just missed me being used to trying to keep big units together (Stormfiends for me) which is obviously irrelevant in a 1-drop setup with no single unit buffs 😉

I think after other discussion I'll probably go the Changehost route after all. Both lists have their merits and play pretty differently.. the Summoners one had a bigger question of Enlightened vs Skyfires.

Edited by Gwendar

2 hours ago, Gwendar said:

I've decided to get back into Tzeentch.. although I'm trying to avoid Horror spam outside of maybe just running 1 unit of Pinks. Anyway, couple of ideas I've throw around with others with tournament settings in mind.

GoS:

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)
- General
Kairos Fateweaver (400)
The Blue Scribes (120)
Be'Lakor (240)
- Allies

Battleline

Units
6 x Tzaangor Skyfires (400)

Umbral Spellportal (70)
Darkfire Daemonrift (80)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 240 / 400
Wounds: 98

Contemplated swapping Skyfires for Enlightened instead and using those 60 points leftover for another Endless Spell.. Pendulum or BW for the Changecaster or Blue Scribes maybe? That way I have more spellcasts on top of a high speed melee threat.. not that Skyfire's can't do decent in melee with the discs, but the Enlightened needing to go 2nd for the RR's is what worries me about using them.

Conflag Shooting:

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
Lord of Change (380)
- General
- Command Trait: Coruscating Flames
- Artefact: Shroud of Warpflame
- Lore of Change: Fold Reality
Kairos Fateweaver (400)
The Blue Scribes (120)

Battleline

Units
1 x Exalted Flamers of Tzeentch (100)

Umbral Spellportal (70)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Wounds: 76

Changehost or no Changehost... kind of the question I've been asking myself. I'm sure the answer is likely a resounding "Well yeah, always you idiot?" but I wasn't sure.

I think you need a VERY good reason not to.  Not wanting to "Be that guy" is good enough but that does sort of fall away in a tourney.  Not that we've been doing many of those as of late...

For events, I bailed on CH when I wanted to go all in on Multidunious Host.  Casually, I played it a couple of times against a couple of  mates and then shelved it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deadkitten said:

I think you need a VERY good reason not to.  Not wanting to "Be that guy" is good enough but that does sort of fall away in a tourney.  Not that we've been doing many of those as of late...

For events, I bailed on CH when I wanted to go all in on Multidunious Host.  Casually, I played it a couple of times against a couple of  mates and then shelved it.  

For anything local I would always be bringing the Summoners list.. anything beyond that I would consider #2 as my local players are a bit on the casual side except for a handful of guys. Not to say I wouldn't run #1 in a tournament setting as I think it can potentially work pretty well there.. it just doesn't have the drop count or visual threat of 12 Flamers and 20 Pinks 😉.

I'm playing Skaven anyway for the next 2 tournaments.. but definitely wanted to give these 2 lists a shot before the next ones start so all the advice is appreciated.

18 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I also didn't want to build or transport 100 models worth of the stuff but.. here we are, with that as the best option.. or more Flamers but less bodies.

Play it a couple times each way and then decide.  

Horrors are WAY cooler than Flamers though.

13 hours ago, Naem said:

What do you think about a list that goes something like this:

LEADERS

Ogroid Thaumaturge (160)

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260) - General

Tzaangor Shaman (150)

UNITS

10 x Chaos Warriors (200) - Hand Weapon & Shield

3 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (180)

3 x Flamers of Tzeentch (120)

3 x Tzaangor Skyfires (200)

Its 2080 P. with the old points but with the decrease of Warriors, Knights and Chaos Lord it should hit the 2000. But maybe the list lacks some Endless Spells or anything else? 

Have to agree with what @Deadkitten has said and Id consolidate that unit of Chaos knights to get the buff of the chaos lord on karkadrak, drop something to get in the exalted flamer if you're deadset on running flamers, or drop the flamers in total and chuck in (like was mentioned above I believe by Deadkitten) more acolytes or even a cheeky unit of the chaos marauders as bait/something that the enemy has to deal with, but then you have to deal w ugly Marauder models but theyre easy enough to Kit Bash into something cool.

If you keep both the enlightened or and the sky fires, you'll be a bit hard pressed getting that shaman to buff them both, unless you run them really close together.

@Naem tweaking your list I'd go for something like this:

LEADERS
- General
- Command Trait : Prophet of the Ostensible
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)
- Artefact : Brimstone Familiar
- Lore of Fate : Glimpse the Future
Tzaangor Shaman (150)
- Lore of Fate : Arcane Suggestion
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Lore of Fate : Shield of Fate
UNITS
20 x Chaos Marauders (150)
- Axes & Shields
20 x Chaos Marauders (150)
- Axes & Shields
10 x Chaos Knights (360)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
6 x Tzaangor Skyfires (400)

Mix and match the spells and what not, brimstone on the sorc lord to make the GOS units immune to battleshock, and he can fly around wherever he needs to be, $+ extra command point which is good for the Chaos Lord on Kark.

Would try fitting in a battalion to get the extra cool stuff that comes with it.

6 spells which isnt so bad either (2 from the shaman), slight chance of getting the LOC on the board at some point, especially if your opponent has wizards.

Whelp....  Here's where I think I landed with the points hikes.

Lord of Change (380)
The Changeling (140)
Fluxmaster, Herald of Tzeentch on Disc (130)
20 x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (440)
10 x Brimstone Horrors of Tzeentch (60)
Changehost (180)
Extra Command Point (50)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 94

Alternatively, I drop both the Extra CP and Geminids, down grade the Fluxmaster to a Changecaster, and swap 10 Pinks for 3 Flamers.  That gets me 2 x 20 Pinks.  I think it might just be too much of a stretch though.