AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

8 minutes ago, SwashBuccaneer said:

@rockmanko I don't think the disc birds in the box give an option to build them as 6 Skyfires or 6 Enlightened. When I opened mine to pull out the KO stuff I looked the directions over and they're 3 enlightened and 3 skyfires.

untrue it does make both. The directions just tell you to make 3 of each, but it's just 2 boxes of enlightend. 

42 minutes ago, SwashBuccaneer said:

@rockmanko I don't think the disc birds in the box give an option to build them as 6 Skyfires or 6 Enlightened. When I opened mine to pull out the KO stuff I looked the directions over and they're 3 enlightened and 3 skyfires.

Oh no
But is skyfires a good option?

so maybe need play as proxy then

1 hour ago, rockmanko said:

So I am new to Chaos, may I ask for some suggestions / guide to build a 2000 points list with the half Aether-War Box?

(relatively competitive is ok)

Is lord-of-change a must-buy/must-include under the new Battletome?

What about include some StD units? or just go straight Tzeentch 

Magister on Disk- 140

Screamers - 80

Enlightened on Disk x6 - 360

580 points so far

Thank you!

The Manticore Sorcerer Lord is really good, as is the Gaunt Summoner on Disc of Tzeentch(20 more points than the Gaunt Summoner on Foot and lacking the ARCANITE keyword, but gains 10” of move and is otherwise the same).

The Darkfire Daemonrift is also excellent in our army.

So I've got two lists I've been thinking about. The core stays the same -

Pyrofane Cult

Witchfyre Coven

Fatemaster

Gaunt Summoner on Disc

Tzaangor Shaman

20,20,10 Kairic Acolytes

Spell Portal, Extra CP, Quick Silver Swords

Now the two options I've been considering is keeping it 5 drop and going 9 Enlightened on Discs or 6 drop and having 3 Enlightened on foot or discs and 20 Tzaangors. The second option gives me 40 wounds in the Tzaangors and they fight reasonably well. Run and charge too. It's just keeping all 20 in range of the Fatemaster's Command Ability. With the Enlightened on discs, this is a lot easier to do and they have 16" movement.

Any suggestions? I haven't played with Tzeentch yet, so trying to find out which would be better in terms of damage output and survivability between 9 Enlightened on discs and the 20 Tzaangors.

On 1/12/2020 at 11:30 PM, Sinfullyvannila said:

The purpose of Screamers is to fly around the board and go objective to objective late in the game. They can win the game for you if you know how to play them.

I think we have better options for fast objective runners for the points though. Marauder Horsemen are only 10 points more. They are only speed 12" vs 16", but they bring 2 more models, an extra wound, and play a double role as a harassment unit (with ranged rend).

Edited by AverageBoss
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

I think we have better options for fast objective runners for the points though. Marauder Horsemen are only 10 points more. They are only speed 12" vs 16", but they bring 2 more models, an extra wound, and play a double role as a harassment unit (with ranged rend).

I don't think I agree better, but it is an interesting alternative

1 hour ago, AverageBoss said:

Marauder horsemen definitely have their place, but for grabbing objectives the screamers are far more dangerous. Don't underestimate speed 16 and flight. Tossing a command point at them for a 22" run that ignores intervening models and terrain is massive, and even if you never do it in a game your opponent has to keep it in mind. Just putting your screamers opposite an objective while still in your deployment zone still forces your opponent to dedicate a unit or concede that objective entirely, while the screamers are still perfectly safe from all but the fastest opponents. Plus with their speed they can threaten multiple objectives at once, potentially locking down multiple enemy units and giving you advantages elsewhere on the board. 

I'm not saying they're amazing or anything, but for 80 points I think it's worth including one unit in a changehost just for the tactical flexibility they offer. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grimrock said:

Marauder horsemen definitely have their place, but for grabbing objectives the screamers are far more dangerous. Don't underestimate speed 16 and flight. Tossing a command point at them for a 22" run that ignores intervening models and terrain is massive, and even if you never do it in a game your opponent has to keep it in mind. Just putting your screamers opposite an objective while still in your deployment zone still forces your opponent to dedicate a unit or concede that objective entirely, while the screamers are still perfectly safe from all but the fastest opponents. Plus with their speed they can threaten multiple objectives at once, potentially locking down multiple enemy units and giving you advantages elsewhere on the board. 

I'm not saying they're amazing or anything, but for 80 points I think it's worth including one unit in a changehost just for the tactical flexibility they offer. 

Along this lines, 16" of fly is amazing! Screamers are probably the chaff model I would take over Marauder horesmen, as they don't have that crappy bravery the horsemen do. Why I feel the Gaunt Summoner on Disk is way better then the one on foot and only 20 points more(?)! Give him the miasmic blade from Ulgu, the Illusionist Command Trait, and that sweet Tzeentch Locus! Watch him fly by and drop a unit of Pink Horrors on an objective and fly away! -3 to hit will keep him riding around the board with his Tzaangor Enlightened and Skyfire buddies!

4 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

Fly and summon make screamers a better option than Marauders.

13 hours ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

The Manticore Sorcerer Lord is really good, as is the Gaunt Summoner on Disc of Tzeentch(20 more points than the Gaunt Summoner on Foot and lacking the ARCANITE keyword, but gains 10” of move and is otherwise the same).

The Darkfire Daemonrift is also excellent in our army.

Gains a wound as well.

1 hour ago, Wulfrik the Wanderer said:

Along this lines, 16" of fly is amazing! Screamers are probably the chaff model I would take over Marauder horesmen, as they don't have that crappy bravery the horsemen do. Why I feel the Gaunt Summoner on Disk is way better then the one on foot and only 20 points more(?)! Give him the miasmic blade from Ulgu, the Illusionist Command Trait, and that sweet Tzeentch Locus! Watch him fly by and drop a unit of Pink Horrors on an objective and fly away! -3 to hit will keep him riding around the board with his Tzaangor Enlightened and Skyfire buddies!

He doesn't have the Arcanite keyword, but I don't remember what that does, if anything.

19 hours ago, rockmanko said:

Oh no
But is skyfires a good option?

so maybe need play as proxy then

3 are ok in just about any list because if you roll 3 6s on your destiny dice you have an excellent chance of deleting a 6 wound hero; but I wouldn’t run them if you’re running Lord of Change in the Pyrofane Cult because he’ll almost always have as many chances as 3 Skyfires to get the Mortal Wounds.

Also, now the Reckless Abandon agenda on Enlightened or Tzaangors is probably a better use for high Destiny Dice.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila

Anyone else having as hard a time picking out spells as I am? XD

I have 5 casters (3 mortal, 1 daemon, 1 both), and I keep changing my mind. XD

I seem to remember us having a separate thread to deeply discuss all our spell options and their best uses when the 1E book dropped. Curious to hear peoples thoughts.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

Anyone else having as hard a time picking out spells as I am? XD

I have 5 casters (3 mortal, 1 daemon, 1 both), and I keep changing my mind. XD

I seem to remember us having a separate thread to deeply discuss all our spell options and their best uses when the 1E book dropped. Curious to hear peoples thoughts.

I think if you have an LoC with buffs on a gaunt summoner  Arcane suggestion is really really good its diverse, but more than likely you'll take -1 save or -1 hit/wound. 

If destiny dice stay alittle broke like they are or if they let LoC's use the dice, right glimpse is pretty alright. 

Honestly though i don't rate the mortal lore spells highly due to either weak affects or overly high casting values with limited access to buffs. So thier spells are hit and miss.

As for daemon spells they all remain the same with treason of tzneetch getting a bump and uncheck mutation being quite a lot worse. Treason gives that nice little -1 to hit debuff and combine with suggestion is really strong for shutting down units. More so if the gemnids get involved. 

2 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

I think if you have an LoC with buffs on a gaunt summoner  Arcane suggestion is really really good its diverse, but more than likely you'll take -1 save or -1 hit/wound. 

If destiny dice stay alittle broke like they are or if they let LoC's use the dice, right glimpse is pretty alright. 

Honestly though i don't rate the mortal lore spells highly due to either weak affects or overly high casting values with limited access to buffs. So thier spells are hit and miss.

As for daemon spells they all remain the same with treason of tzneetch getting a bump and uncheck mutation being quite a lot worse. Treason gives that nice little -1 to hit debuff and combine with suggestion is really strong for shutting down units. More so if the gemnids get involved. 

Yes, I very much like Arcane Suggestion. Its a fantastic debuff, though the 8 to cast is rough.

I also really like shield of fate. As long as you have 4+ fate dice, its a pretty amazing buff.

And I think Infusion Arcanum is a great choice for an Ogriod to roid himself out before charging into combat.

Bond being Mortal targets only this time around really hampers it (along with it going from 2+ to 3+). Though I still think it could have some use in certain builds (mostly those making use of lots of StD units, which I think is a viable option).

I have always had a love/hate with Glimpse. That has not changed. XD

And Bolt is Bolt, and its in both lores.