AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

7 minutes ago, Frowny said:

I'm probably misremembering, but didn't only the foot one have infernal flames? I thought the disk used to do something else with it's spell which is why almost everyone took the foot version. 

You're right, so it's a bonus to even get Infernal Flames - but weirdly it's a nerfed version of it, without changing the old warscroll for the on foot model... which makes me wonder if that is going to get changed as well. With them having the same name, I don't believe you could cast both in the same turn; but updating the foot model's version would really turn the tables and make it so no one will ever play that one in favor of the superior all-around disc. 

Edit: I'm not sure if spell name is the determining factor for the 1/turn limit, but perhaps it's just the warscroll itself (and the two being different will allow both versions to be played together efficiently). 

Edited by Freejack02

7 hours ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

the one bonus about the new version for the gaunt on disk is that you only need 1 model within 12" to roll for every single model in the unit rather than the current version rolling for every model within 18"

Good point, missed that. 

I think the new version is a no brainer with the inclusion of 10 Pinks, even if the killing power of the spell goes down. 

I tried to make a list by adding something from the StD, how about ?
I don't have the battletome yet and I'm not sure of the points.

Allegiance: Tzeentch
Gaunt Summoner 
- General
- Trait: Arcane Sacrifice
- Lore of Change: Bolt of Tzeentch
Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch on Disc
- Artefact: Wellspring of Arcane Might
- Lore of Change: Fold Reality
Tzaangor Shaman
- Lore of Change: Fold Reality
Chaos Sorcerer Lord
- Lore of Fate: Glimpse the Future
20 x Chaos Marauders 
20 x Chaos Marauders 
10 x Kairic Acolytes 
9 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc 
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc 
Balewind Vortex 
Umbral Spellportal 
Purple Sun of Shyish

On 12/13/2019 at 4:39 PM, Freejack02 said:

Post it!

It's 2-Drop and it includes the lane blocking endless spells like Palisade and Gravetide. However it's missing things like the Burning Head, Pendulum, Gnashing Jaws etc. Still think it'll do well (especially with the extra unit of pinks for another spell caster)

Leaders
Lord of Change (380)
The Blue Scribes (140)
Gaunt Summoner on Disk (260)

Battleline
10 x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (180)

Units
10 x Brimstone Horrors of Tzeentch (60)

Battalions
Changehost (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Suffocating Gravetide (20)
Purple Sun of Shyish (50)
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Soulsnare Shackles (40)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 100

16 hours ago, TalesOfSigmar said:
It's 2-Drop and it includes the lane blocking endless spells like Palisade and Gravetide. However it's missing things like the Burning Head, Pendulum, Gnashing Jaws etc. Still think it'll do well (especially with the extra unit of pinks for another spell caster)

Leaders
Lord of Change (380)
The Blue Scribes (140)
Gaunt Summoner on Disk (260)

Battleline

Units

Battalions
Changehost (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Suffocating Gravetide (20)
Purple Sun of Shyish (50)
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Soulsnare Shackles (40)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 100

New Darkfire Daemonrift instead of Purple sun imo.

EDIT: Did not realize you explicitly said no new endless spells.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila

I'm thinking of running Archaon in a tzeentch allegiance army to get the destiny dice for his slayer of kings trigger.  I've looked over the DoT book, but I can't find a decent way to support him in it.  Do any more experienced players have an idea of what I could throw in from either the StD or DoT book? 

11 minutes ago, BaronBanana said:

I'm thinking of running Archaon in a tzeentch allegiance army to get the destiny dice for his slayer of kings trigger.  I've looked over the DoT book, but I can't find a decent way to support him in it.  Do any more experienced players have an idea of what I could throw in from either the StD or DoT book? 

There are a couple good synergies for tzeentch. First, Infusion Arcanum is probably his best spell from the list. Tossing in a Lord of Change and/or Blue Scribes should almost guarantee his casting as well. Marauders go really well with his command ability, and destiny dice are quite helpful for their charge rolls as you only need to alter one dice and the other will always be a 6. A lord of chaos can make him fight twice if you really want, and would also work with marauders if Archaon gets out of range. Finally a S2D sorcerer is a must take for him, allowing him full rerolls on attack and reroll saves. 

Edited by Grimrock

2 hours ago, Grimrock said:

There are a couple good synergies for tzeentch. First, Infusion Arcanum is probably his best spell from the list. Tossing in a Lord of Change and/or Blue Scribes should almost guarantee his casting as well. Marauders go really well with his command ability, and destiny dice are quite helpful for their charge rolls as you only need to alter one dice and the other will always be a 6. A lord of chaos can make him fight twice if you really want, and would also work with marauders if Archaon gets out of range. Finally a S2D sorcerer is a must take for him, allowing him full rerolls on attack and reroll saves. 

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but Infusion Arcanum doesn't affect the mount attacks, correct? 

EDIT ::  Here's a list I'm thinking of.  I really enjoy the acolytes, the cabal is there to capture objectives by flying, and the army just supports Archaon

Screenshot_20191217-125724_Chrome.jpg

Edited by BaronBanana

1 hour ago, BaronBanana said:

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but Infusion Arcanum doesn't affect the mount attacks, correct?

As far as I know it does since it doesn't specify otherwise. There are blanket rules for things like command traits and mounts, but spells are fair game. Same with Daemonic Power from the sorcerer lord.

The list certainly looks like it could be fun, but I've never really loved kairics personally. Good with minimum units for cheap battleline but they never seemed to pack enough punch to justify going larger for me. Maybe the witchfyre coven is the piece I've been missing.

Edited by Grimrock

Everyone is trippin'.

New Gaunt on Disc only costs 200 pts. This is evident within Azyr and Warscroll Builder. Not sure where everyone is getting the 260 from (Happy to be corrected though?). So technically he is a bargain with only going up 20 pts.  Yes the other point of his infernal flames being a 5+ now, but adding 2 to save rolls unless Monster or Fly, worth it for the Gaunt dude, spesh if he has Paradoxial Shield on him. Also, chuck him on the Balewind and he gets to a 3+ save, then just use Arcane Sacrifice to give him additional extra distance to his spell casting and this fixes the shorter range of Infernal Flames.

And whilst it is nice to bring in a 4th unit of Pinks, or regenerate them once they have been dead, Daemonette's can't be over looked imho! Whilst they don't get you the extra spell (which you really don't need if you're running Changehost < this is the exception I would say and I am basing my comment off the GSoD being used IN a Changehost) they do have the ability to Run AND Charge AND you can reroll Charge rolls if you have the Banner Bearer and you can still add in lost Daemon's with their Icon bearer. They get the whole "1 in every 5 models can be either an Icon or Banner bearer" so you can def take both! Whilst at surface level, this doesn't sound like much, these models get brought in at the Hero Phase and can move in the subsequent movement pahse, which is what a lot of summoning stuff suffers from currently. Sooooo, chuck those into your opponents face and have these Daemon chicks tie up something like their hero, a most impacting unit etc, and bring them back with your Fate Dice!

As others have mentioned, we can now use the StD Endless Spells w the GSoD which is nice, but really the only one worth taking is the Darkfire Daemonrift, which can work for and against us, as others have mentioned, keep your important dudes away from it and you're set! Worth noting though, in a Changehost I still think that the Purple Sun is more favorable because of the bravery mod if you can couple that with the Pink's bravery mod as well? IDK, worth debating but they are more or less equal at the end of the day. 

I think another thing to call out w Archaon in a Tzeentch list is that whilst Infusion Arcanum is great for his attacks etc, it doesn't apply to slayer of kings because his slayer of kings ability works on unmodified wound rolls of 6, with Arcanum modifying those.... So I think that taking treacherous bond is more worth it and putting that on a unit of Marauders, Kairic Acolytes, Chaos Warriors or whatever. Take a unit of 40 kairics and you have given Archaon an extra 40 wounds... then he just floats around the board chopping, wheeling and dealing etc.

Here's to a new tome for us in 2020 btw! I'm very much looking forward to it :D

EDIT: Balewind stuff.

Edited by RUNCMD

45 minutes ago, RUNCMD said:

New Gaunt on Disc only costs 200 pts. This is evident within Azyr and Warscroll Builder. Not sure where everyone is getting the 260 from

The Slaves to Darkness battletome that was just released... where the warscroll was completely rewritten and new points assigned.

Which baffles me, because we have seen two updates to Azyr in the past couple of weeks to reflect new stuff from this Tome, but yet GW haven't go it right on both Warscroll Builder nor Azyr? They need to get it sorted!

Thanks for clarifying though, I dont have the Slaves Battletome, so can only go off what GW give me for free.

3 hours ago, RUNCMD said:

Which baffles me, because we have seen two updates to Azyr in the past couple of weeks to reflect new stuff from this Tome, but yet GW haven't go it right on both Warscroll Builder nor Azyr? They need to get it sorted!

Thanks for clarifying though, I dont have the Slaves Battletome, so can only go off what GW give me for free.

Azyr is always bugged in some way or another it seems (and even when its not GW is infamous for leaving outdated info all over the place), and Warscroll builder is maintained by a member of these forums, its simply hosted on the community site.

Edited by AverageBoss

15 hours ago, RUNCMD said:

Here's to a new tome for us in 2020 btw! I'm very much looking forward to it :D

Apparently Battletome DoT and KO are gone from the store - I guess this is a good sign that we'll very soon get a new BT. I do hope they won't have to change so much after they release it....

Oh and a Curseling and/or Fatemaster. We could use some cool armored heroes. Hell, the Curseling could look the same just make him in plastic as Finecast sucks big time and I never got a metal one.

9 hours ago, MitGas said:

Oh and it seems like StD don't have much going for in a Tzeentch list overall. A few exceptions here and there but still..

Besides the Gaunt on Disc and 1 good Endless Spell (can't remember the name), yeah we didn't get much of value... Here's hoping for a February battletome.

7 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

One sad thing is that the Chaos Sorcerer Lord went from affecting keyword CHAOS, to only affecting StD units. So look like I will be binning mine.

Could always run a Marauder block with it - they're still terribly good (just not the best models).

Edited by Freejack02