AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2019 at 3:57 AM, Cambot1231 said:

Is it possible to summon a herald on Foot + blue horrors at the end of your movement phase if you have the points for both? Is there any cap other than the amount of summon points you have on a turn basis? Could I summon in two units of blue or brimstones?

Hey mate, there should be no limit to what you can summon in the movement phase, as long as you have the points to summon it! So sounds like your thnking is correct!

Best thing I would suggest (but assuming that you do this anyway) is to track your Fate/Blue/Brim points all separately so that you can use your fate points to summon the Herald  and your Blue points to summon in Blues only...

One idea I have been toying with (haven't used it on the board yet but think it is totally legal and would be sweet) would be to summon your Herald wholly within 12" from another hero and once they are positioned on the board, use them to summon in your Blues/Brims wholly within 12" of the Herald you just summoned in, keeping them the typical 9" away from units. This essentially could net you 24" of board control and position your pieces for future screening etc, especially if you are creating a huge blob of up to 40 Blues (provided you have the points at this point in time and they are ALL Blue points).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

hello, interest  that im can build as start playing AOS with tzeench army? im interest in spell casting army and im have some models: 
1 box of Tzaangor Enlightened

1 magister

1 gaunt summoner

1 changeling

1 tzaangor shaman

1 lord of change

1 band of shadespire

1 bix of acolytes

may be im can build some decent list if im add some troops? 

Edited by simakover

like this? or too weak?

Leaders
Lord of Change (380)
Gaunt Summoner (160)
Curseling, Eye of Tzeentch (160)

Battleline
10 x Kairic Acolytes (80)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Aethervoid Pendulum (50)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Purple Sun of Shyish (50)

That do you think about this?

Edited by simakover

On 9/6/2019 at 4:05 AM, simakover said:

like this? or too weak?

Leaders
Lord of Change (380)
Gaunt Summoner (160)
Curseling, Eye of Tzeentch (160)

Battleline

Endless Spells / Terrain
Aethervoid Pendulum (50)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Purple Sun of Shyish (50)

That do you think about this?

This list looks fun to play casually but you currently have zero combat ability. In Matched play you will not be able to hold objectives for very long. I strongly recommend some Tzaangors and/or Enlightened to give you some punch.

You are also really character and endless spell heavy for 1000pts so maybe drop some of those to get the points for more fighty units. I would personally drop the Curseling, Purple Sun, and Pendulum. Save those for larger games. 

If you really want to go the magic/shooty-only path then Pink Horrors are likely a better batteline. Acolytes are great but they aren't intended to be the core fighting strength of an army.

7 hours ago, Landohammer said:

This list looks fun to play casually but you currently have zero combat ability. In Matched play you will not be able to hold objectives for very long. I strongly recommend some Tzaangors and/or Enlightened to give you some punch.

You are also really character and endless spell heavy for 1000pts so maybe drop some of those to get the points for more fighty units. I would personally drop the Curseling, Purple Sun, and Pendulum. Save those for larger games. 

If you really want to go the magic/shooty-only path then Pink Horrors are likely a better batteline. Acolytes are great but they aren't intended to be the core fighting strength of an army.

so that do you recommend in 1000 with tzaans? 

so dumb question....which may have been asked before but i cant find the answer, can a spell be "cast" even if there is no one in range? Based on wording it seems like ranges and such are checked after a spell is successfully cast, so Im wondering if we can still willy nilly cast spells for fate points. I've been back and forth on this with friends, so if possible please let me know a reference because there seems logical arguments on both sides.

10 hours ago, simakover said:

so that do you recommend in 1000 with tzaans? 

Something like this

Lord of Change 380

Gaunt Summoner 160

10 Acolytes 80

10 Tzaangors 180

3 Tzaangor Enlightened Discs 160

Balewind Vortex 40

This list is far from ideal, but will give you  a fighting chance in the combat phase  and will only require 2 additional purchases. I would also recommend you give the Lord of Change a sword. The rod is generally more useful but the sword enhances his threat in combat (at least a bit) 

Hi, I am looking to start a Tzentch army and I have the opportunity to buy this lot, what do you think, is it compétitive for 2k or 1k pts double games?

Lord of Change

Herald on Disc

Herald on Foot

30 Pink Horrors of Tzeentch

30 Blue Horrors of Tzeentch

30 brimstone Horrors of Tzeentch

1 Burning Chariot of Tzeentch

6 Screamers of Tzeentch

Thanks !

1 hour ago, Heaven_lord said:

Hi, I am looking to start a Tzentch army and I have the opportunity to buy this lot, what do you think, is it compétitive for 2k or 1k pts double games?

Lord of Change

Herald on Disc

Herald on Foot

30 Pink Horrors of Tzeentch

30 Blue Horrors of Tzeentch

30 brimstone Horrors of Tzeentch

1 Burning Chariot of Tzeentch

6 Screamers of Tzeentch

Thanks !

The horrors are absolutely competitive, as is the Lord of Change.

Heralds are good as well, though not as mandatory as the LOC or Horrors, though they get eclipsed a bit by the Gaunt Summoner. Still I think they are a solid choice.

Screamers are ok. They are popular choices for summoning, since they don't cost that many FP and can fly on to an objective late game. 

Burning chariot is generally considered bottom tier competitively though.

Overall it looks to be a solid starter army (if the price is right!)

16 hours ago, Oreaper84 said:

so dumb question....which may have been asked before but i cant find the answer, can a spell be "cast" even if there is no one in range? Based on wording it seems like ranges and such are checked after a spell is successfully cast, so Im wondering if we can still willy nilly cast spells for fate points. I've been back and forth on this with friends, so if possible please let me know a reference because there seems logical arguments on both sides.

It hasn't been FAQ so... RAW yeah, you can. I think most here does what you say as there's nothing that says you may not.

Hello guys, I need an advice from you! 

Next week I will partecipate to a local tournament and I wanna really go with changehost (like Loc, blu scribes, herald, 30 pink horror, 20 blu horror, 20 brimstone horror and 7 endless spell). I didn't test so much, so can u explain me what are the beST and the worst MATCH-UP that I can have?? (I'm a good player with that, I played them for like 1 year but now I'm out of meta) Thx, all advice are good. 

I'm thinking about a tzeentch army built around dreams, painted with a starry sky scheme. However, I don't really like horrors, so was considering using these as pink and/or blue horrors (painted appropriately). Would you in a friendly setting let me use these as horrors? What about at a tournament? Assuming the rest of the army was painted similarly etc.

Note they need bases still. I'm in the test paint scheme phase. And I think a yellower gold. 

IMG_20190915_175302.jpg

IMG_20190915_175507 (1).jpg

IMG_20190915_175517.jpg

On 9/10/2019 at 7:56 AM, Oreaper84 said:

Yes, you absolutely can cast spells while there are no targets. The rules state you roll to cast the spell first and once successfully cast, you choose a target and resolve the spell. It doesn't matter if there are no legal targets because you technically check for legal targets after the spell has been cast, and our Fate point mechanic give points when the spell is cast not when the spell affects a target. Many a round 1 spell has been cast "up into the sky as an impressive fireworks show" just to make Fate points in my games lol

Hey guys,

Noob question. I've got Vilitch the Curseling and 6 flamers painted plus 3 screamers to be built. 
I could buy a painted lot for 50 Euros :

1 gaunt summoner

1 gaunt summoner on disk

1 Curseling

1 Ogroid Thaumaturge

30 kairic acolytes

Would that be a good start for a Tzeentch army ? I play SCE but I'd like to play an army that is actually good at magic :). I've always liked magic heavy armies.
What's competitive and fun nowadays ?

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:59 AM, Pestilens said:

Hello guys, I need an advice from you! 

Next week I will partecipate to a local tournament and I wanna really go with changehost (like Loc, blu scribes, herald, 30 pink horror, 20 blu horror, 20 brimstone horror and 7 endless spell). I didn't test so much, so can u explain me what are the beST and the worst MATCH-UP that I can have?? (I'm a good player with that, I played them for like 1 year but now I'm out of meta) Thx, all advice are good. 

Hey mate, so I am running Changehost as well and full disclaimer, I haven't played a battle with it as of yet as I'm still building and painting it, however I have done a lot of research so would like to just share what I've read, but yeah take it or leave it man.

FEC just have crazy movement so will be up in your face right away so it can be hard to screen against them if you take second turn (this is in general and not just for Tzeentchy bois) and also their Zombie Dragon can end up doing more Damage than most big hero's from memory (think I read somewhere on TGA that it can do even more Damage than Archaon? but I can't find the link to confirm this).

Skaven are very similar to FEC and can be hard to counter, but the Changehost ability can really help with this in terms of screening and wiping them out with spells.

From others and their posts on various forums etc, FEC, Skaven and Khorne can be some of our worst match ups really. Not sure if you have played against Khorne before, but they have this disgusting thing where their Hexgore Skulls subtract 2 from casting if a model is WITHIN 12" of either of the models (Hexgores have 2 skulls which need to remain wholly within 6" of each other so can cover a lot of ground) then if the unmodified casting roll for a Wizard is an 8 then the spell is unsuccessful, the Wizard no longer knows the spell and each Wizard within 12" of the Hexgore Skull suffers D6 Mortal wounds... this is a Wizard KILLER and my advice is to always snipe / take out their Slaughter Priests (the guys who are able to bring these onto the board) as quickly as you can with spells. Khorne really hates Magic.

I honestly feel that the best option for CH is to really screen your enemy correctly, explode those pinks and bog them down whilst smashing them with the endless spells!

My advice is to include a Gaunt Summoner into your list - his spell Infernal Flames is actually invaluable against Hordes, give it a read, then calculate the damage you can do to 100 Rats (which Skaven can take quite easily).

Anyways, I plan on posting my thoughts on Changehost when I have it fully built and test it against a few different enemies! Hope this helps mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Maturin said:

Hey guys,

Noob question. I've got Vilitch the Curseling and 6 flamers painted plus 3 screamers to be built. 
I could buy a painted lot for 50 Euros :

1 gaunt summoner

1 gaunt summoner on disk

1 Curseling

1 Ogroid Thaumaturge

30 kairic acolytes

Would that be a good start for a Tzeentch army ? I play SCE but I'd like to play an army that is actually good at magic :). I've always liked magic heavy armies.
What's competitive and fun nowadays ?

Hey mate, sounds like you are aiming for a more Mortal / Arcanite type army based on what you're looking to buy, or is this just a deal you're thinking of snapping up?

I would suggest having a think of if you prefer the Mortals / Arcanite side of Tzeentch or if you like the Demon side more and that would be able to provide you a bit more personal guidance.

As for the lot you're looking at picking up seems like a bargain for 50 Euro regardless especially if it is painted to a decent quality! The Gaunt Summoner, Ogroid and Curesling are great Generals for an Arcanite Tzeentch list and if you couple that with the 30 Acolytes you already have the x3 Battleline filled for a 2k army and can mix in whatever you want from there!

Painting 30 Acolytes could be pretty tiresome if you're not super into them as well.

Overall sounds like a good deal and would be easy to hit 1K with your Flamers, Screamers as well!

Hey @RUNCMD,

Thanks for your reply. Well, I don't know if I'll go arcanite, mortal or daemon, because I don't really know the differences of gameplay as well as their inherent strenghts and weaknesses.

But yeah, I got the opportunity to buy a cheap lot, I got also go the unbuilt models from Silver Tower too, so I was thinking it could be a nice change from my SCE ;)

Coming back to AoS after grabbing some 40K stuff for thousand sons army. So, now, I have few things to start a Pure Tzeench army. I don't want daemons.

Here is what I have  for pure TZ: 50 tzaangors.

PS: also 2 daemon princes but I'd prefer to go full TZ. Side note: I like big monsters, so, If I can put in a list the LoC or Keiros, it'd be nice....

Well, trying to build a list around my 50 tzaangors from TS 40K army : but I have no idea how tzeench works...

Allegiance: Tzeentch
LEADERS
Tzaangor Shaman (160)
Lord of Change (380)
Daemon Prince of Tzeentch (160)
UNITS
30 x Tzaangors (480)
20 x Tzaangors (360)
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (320)
TOTAL: 1940/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 162

What do you think? (I just put here the DP because I have one but phhhh dunno. And I love the LoC so, auto include maybe or bad choice?)

8 hours ago, Sigwarus said:

Can a Pink horrors unit that gets replenished by d6 models after rolling a 1 on the battleshock go over their starting numbers? I have always played it as a "no" but Darren recently did just that at the London GT. Consensus?

You can, because it adds models to the unit as opposed to returning slain models.

so im get many more model for tzeentch army. can i build decent Changehost? or some variation? dont have many blue/brims

im have next:

1 box of acolytes
2 box of pink horrors
3 box of blue/brim horrors
SC: demons(plan to convert chariot into Blue scribes, so would have 10 pinks, 5 screemers, herald, ex flamer and 3 flamers)
3 box of enlightened
1 Lord of Change
1 Gaunt summoner
1 Ogrioid Thaumaturge
1 Magister
1 warband of shadespire(eyes of the nine)
1 Shaman on disk
1 Changeling