AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

4 hours ago, Boss Salvage said:

I've got a 150x100 base for him already from WHFB, so not total stranger to basing the big boy ...

EDIT: NM, now it's a 160mm round? Yessssss because ovals are dumb.

And they fixed the Soul Grinder to a 160mm round.

And Screamers are on 60mm round.

Edited by TheOtherJosh

2 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

And they fixed the Soul Grinder to a 160mm round.

And Screamers are on 60mm round.

Well thats annoying. My soulgrinder is on the 170 oval as previously suggested, and it looks perfect. I experimented with the 160 wound it looked dumb and oversized. Also, screamers on 60mm rounds? That looks absurd.

Just now, BillyOcean said:

Well thats annoying. My soulgrinder is on the 170 oval as previously suggested, and it looks perfect. I experimented with the 160 wound it looked dumb and oversized. Also, screamers on 60mm rounds? That looks absurd.

60mm rounds are the larger flying bases. It’s what they show on p.55 of the DoT book.

Share a pic of the soul Grinder on base? I haven’t actually seen one based ... 

1 hour ago, TheOtherJosh said:

60mm rounds are the larger flying bases. It’s what they show on p.55 of the DoT book.

Share a pic of the soul Grinder on base? I haven’t actually seen one based ... 

Yeah, and I think they look silly ?. Mine were supplied with the smaller 40mm flying bases (don't know if thats usual?) and I based them on regular 40s instead to fit the rest of the army.

Here's an old low-quality picture of my team, grinder at the back. I'll take a better picture of him for you when I'm home. 

display2.jpg

• Like 1

This is list I want to try... I just got Archaon so it sounds fun to me...

2000 points:

Leaders:

Archaon

- general

- spell:Infusion Arcanum

Lord of Change

- with new item for -1 to hit and +1 to move

Blue Scribes

Curseling

Chaos Sercerer lord

- he will support Archaon with rerolls of 1

Battleline:

3x10 Kairic Acolytes

Other:

1x3 Flamers of Tzeentch

Spells:

-Pendulum

-Portals

Edited by Vilge

Playing a 1500 point game tomorrow evening with new shiny rulebooks and everything. I'm going to give the following a run out - 

Gaunt Summoner - 180
Lore of Change - Bolt of Tzeentch
Command Trait - Magical supremacy
Artefact - Soul Draught 
Tzaangor Shaman - 180
Lore of Fate - Shield of Fate 
Magister - 140
Lore of Fate - Arcanum Infusum

Tzaangors - 480
Pink Horrors - 200
Lore of Change - Fold into reality 
Kairic Acolytes - 80

Tzaangor Enligthened - 160

Balewind Vortex - 40
Geminids of Hyish - 40

Edited by AaronWIlson

52 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

Gaunt Summoner - 180
Lore of Change - Bolt of Tzeentch
Command Trait - Magical Supremacy

I do like to run the "Arcane Sacrifice" trait on my Gaunt Summoner, especially as the unbinding range was raised to 30".

The +9" to his casting range and the re-roll is very powerful. In addition, you can get some Blue Points in the first phase and even increase the number of Pinks above 10  (from the Icon) with the forced battleshock test.

With that in mind you won't need the Balewindvortex and can drop the Magister to include an Ogroid wich might cancel enemy shooting from units with more than 1 wound, as long as the Brimstones survive the combat phase.

9 minutes ago, Drib said:

I do like to run the "Arcane Sacrifice" trait on my Gaunt Summoner, especially as the unbinding range was raised to 30".

The +9" to his casting range and the re-roll is very powerful. In addition, you can get some Blue Points in the first phase and even increase the number of Pinks above 10  (from the Icon) with the forced battleshock test.

With that in mind you won't need the Balewindvortex and can drop the Magister to include an Ogroid wich might cancel enemy shooting from units with more than 1 wound, as long as the Brimstones survive the combat phase.

Yeah, I was tempted with Arcane sacrifice my self :)

Is it confirmed you can increase a unit size by doing that, as that wasn't possible in the last edition

I prefer a magister over a ogroid for the same reason, a spawn does a better job at holding a unit up. 

33 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

Yeah, I was tempted with Arcane sacrifice my self :)

Is it confirmed you can increase a unit size by doing that, as that wasn't possible in the last edition

I prefer a magister over a ogroid for the same reason, a spawn does a better job at holding a unit up. 

As for the Generals Handbook, I have not seen anything restricting summoning in anyway.

Both, the Magister and the Ogroid have good potentials in preventing shooting.  You are right, the Magister's Chaos Spawn is more reliable if he is summoned. But he won't work too good on units with more than one wound, where the Ogroid shines. (And I like the Ogroid's model more)

Additionally I would use a different spell on the Magister too,  it's a nice pick for an Ogroid but "Glimpse the Future" might be more versertile.

Do you still have to cast a spell to do the summoning or is it just pay the points and its done automatically? And if so, what replaced the old Mark of the Conjurer that gave +1 to summoning rolls?

And i was thinking a good way to get some use out of the LoC is to give him the Arch-Sorcerer trait just so he can have both Bolt of Tzeentch and Tzeentch's Inferno, that way, combined with Cogs and Spellportals, you can pump out loads of mortal wounds from safe range all the time.

So getting ready for an upcoming 2000pt battle this weekend was probably  going to run this list:
Allegiance: Tzeentch

Leaders
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
Ogroid Thaumaturge (180)
Curseling, Eye of Tzeentch (160)
Gaunt Summoner (180)

Battleline
20 x Kairic Acolytes (160)
30 x Tzaangors (480)

Units
6 x Tzaangor Skyfires (440)

Total: 1940 / 2000

I'm kinda a budget player so I wont be summoning any Daemons, outside of a few brimes for the Ogroid, so I wanted to have plenty of bodies, and firepower to throw around. Not sure what Endless spells I want to use with the 60pts leftover. Probably Geminids? Thoughts?

• Like 1

60 points is a pretty sweet handful of points for getting your Endless on.  The Cogs would seem like a no brainer (more spells is more better, especially for Tizz), likewise Spellportal is being hailed as the true auto-include (especially for Tizz), but I've been looking at the Geminids + Prismatic Palisade of late. Geminids do lots of damage and debuffs, while the Palisades offer some neat tactical plays and aren't predatory so don't give your opponent as much of a gift (likewise the Cogs).

I've been considering something like this for an upcoming event, but might swap out treacherous bond on archy for infusion arcanum.

LEADERS

Curseling, Eye of Tzeentch (160)

- General

- Command Trait : Magical Supremacy

- Artefact : Paradoxical Shield

- Lore of Fate : Shield of Fate

Archaon (660)

- Lore of Fate : Treacherous Bond

Gaunt Summoner and Chaos Familiars (180)

- Lore of Change : Treason of Tzeentch

The Blue Scribes (140)

- Lore of Change : Arcane Transformation

Herald Of Tzeentch On Disc (120)

- Staff of Change

- Lore of Change : Bolt of Tzeentch

UNITS

10 x Kairic Acolytes (80)

- 10 x Cursed Blade & Arcanite Shield

10 x Kairic Acolytes (80)

- 10 x Cursed Blade & Arcanite Shield

30 x Tzaangors (480)

- 12 x Savage Greatblade - 18 x Savage Blade & Arcanite Shield

ENDLESS SPELLS

Balewind Vortex (40)

Umbral Spellportal (60)

TOTAL: 2000/2000

WOUNDS: 120

I was thinking of running something like this..

Leaders
Lord of Change (380) [Arch-Sorcerer; Wellspring of Arcane Might]
Herald of Tzeentch (140)
Gaunt Summoner (180)
The Blue Scribes (140)

Battleline
10 x Pink Horrors (200)
10 x Pink Horrors (200)
10 x Pink Horrors (200)
10 x Pink Horrors (200)

Endless Spells
Chromantic Cogs (60)
Umbral Spellportals (60)
Gemenids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000

The plan is the run pink horrors as suicidal chaff and just keep throwing spells at range while summoning in more horrors constantly, should be enough hordes to keep enemies away from my casters which will do the heavy lifting, especially the lord of change which will throw inferno, gateway and bolt everyturn for loads of MW's. The Gaunt Summoner, which will do the major work when it comes to hordes, will be protected by treacherous bond and throwing spells through portals when able.

I could skip one pink horror unit to run the ogroid and soulsnare shackes, but i dont know if i have enough chaff that way.

Some other options instead of Wellspring is The Ragged Cloak for an entire turn of invulnerability for big bird, or Rockjaws to deal d3 mw to en enemy within 8" on a 3+.

Or to build a super hero/monster slayer ogroid with the Sword of Judgement.. Pop any 6's you have on destiny dice for automatic d6 mw's each, and with the infusion arcanum you still trigger d6 mw's on 5+ or even 4+ when enraged.

Edited by ThePie

14 hours ago, ThePie said:

Do you still have to cast a spell to do the summoning or is it just pay the points and its done automatically? And if so, what replaced the old Mark of the Conjurer that gave +1 to summoning rolls?

And i was thinking a good way to get some use out of the LoC is to give him the Arch-Sorcerer trait just so he can have both Bolt of Tzeentch and Tzeentch's Inferno, that way, combined with Cogs and Spellportals, you can pump out loads of mortal wounds from safe range all the time.

There's no roll for summoning anymore, you just spend your Fate points and plop them on the table, wholly within 12" of a hero and 9" away from enemy models. :D

13 hours ago, Mr.Pengwinn said:

So getting ready for an upcoming 2000pt battle this weekend was probably  going to run this list:

Leaders
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
Ogroid Thaumaturge (180)
Gaunt Summoner (180)

Battleline
30 x Tzaangors (480)

Units
6 x Tzaangor Skyfires (440)

Total: 1940 / 2000

I'm kinda a budget player so I wont be summoning any Daemons, outside of a few brimes for the Ogroid, so I wanted to have plenty of bodies, and firepower to throw around. Not sure what Endless spells I want to use with the 60pts leftover. Probably Geminids? Thoughts?

I can't see anything wrong with this, you have points to pay for either a Umbrall Spell portal to throw your spells through turn one. The cogs for another spell, or the Balewind for another spell etc. It also might be worth leaving your 60 points for a command point as that means if you don't get turn one you'll still have a CP to make your Tzaangor blob auto pass a battleshock test. 

8 hours ago, ThePie said:

I was thinking of running something like this..

Leaders
Lord of Change (380) [Arch-Sorcerer; Wellspring of Arcane Might]
Herald of Tzeentch (140)
Gaunt Summoner (180)
The Blue Scribes (140)

Battleline
10 x Pink Horrors (200)
10 x Pink Horrors (200)
10 x Pink Horrors (200)
10 x Pink Horrors (200)

Endless Spells
Chromantic Cogs (60)
Umbral Spellportals (60)
Gemenids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000

The plan is the run pink horrors as suicidal chaff and just keep throwing spells at range while summoning in more horrors constantly, should be enough hordes to keep enemies away from my casters which will do the heavy lifting, especially the lord of change which will throw inferno, gateway and bolt everyturn for loads of MW's. The Gaunt Summoner, which will do the major work when it comes to hordes, will be protected by treacherous bond and throwing spells through portals when able.

I could skip one pink horror unit to run the ogroid and soulsnare shackes, but i dont know if i have enough chaff that way.

Some other options instead of Wellspring is The Ragged Cloak for an entire turn of invulnerability for big bird, or Rockjaws to deal d3 mw to en enemy within 8" on a 3+.

Or to build a super hero/monster slayer ogroid with the Sword of Judgement.. Pop any 6's you have on destiny dice for automatic d6 mw's each, and with the infusion arcanum you still trigger d6 mw's on 5+ or even 4+ when enraged.

This seems like fun, you have a potential for a lot of MWs a turn and the horrors will provide solid chaff, you will be very vulnerable if your opponent goes second and removes the horrors and gets a double turn however. I like the look of it though, please keep us updated how it goes :D