AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, xanderhansen said:

It was me that won the tournament in Denmark, I'm gonna make a battledeport in Danish that I can link to (a crazy language), but here is my list.

Allegiance: Tzeentch
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord of Change (380)
- Artefact: Mark of the Conjurer 
- Lore of Change: Tzeentch's Firestorm
Ogroid Thaumaturge (180)
- Lore of Fate: Shield of Fate
Gaunt Summoner and Chaos Familiars (180)
- General
- Trait: Arcane Sacrifice 
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
- Lore of Fate: Bolt of Tzeentch

Battleline
10 x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (200)
- Lore of Change: Fold Reality
10 x Kairic Acolytes (80)
- 7x Cursed Blade & Arcanite Shield
- 3x Cursed Glaives
10 x Kairic Acolytes (80)
- 7x Cursed Blade & Arcanite Shield
- 3x Cursed Glaives

Units
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (280)

Battalions
Witchfyre Coven (120)

Endless Spells
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 105

I can make a small writeup about the games later, and fell free to ask about anything 😉

Looking forward to reading a write up for your games.

Why did you choose ogroid over perhaps a shamen?

Why did you choose the thermalrider cloak? I assume the gaunt was on balewind?

Why did you choose witchfyre coven with only 2x10 acolytes?

How did summoning go for you? 

How many people went to the tournament and sort of competition did you face?

Hi everyone,

New AOS player and have chosen DoT for my first army. I have a question regarding this pink horror/sacrifice thing that I keep seeing written about: how does it work? I understand the principle of Pink Horrors die and then from somewhere you get the Fate Points for Blue Horrors. I use the Azyr app and when I look at the Pink Horror warscroll nowhere  does it say you get 2 fate points for blues whenever they die, so where is that effect coming from? I know its on the Blue Horror warscroll but if blue horrors aren't in the main list, I don't understand why you get their effect?

Thanks

19 minutes ago, Abattleship91 said:

Hi everyone,

New AOS player and have chosen DoT for my first army. I have a question regarding this pink horror/sacrifice thing that I keep seeing written about: how does it work? I understand the principle of Pink Horrors die and then from somewhere you get the Fate Points for Blue Horrors. I use the Azyr app and when I look at the Pink Horror warscroll nowhere  does it say you get 2 fate points for blues whenever they die, so where is that effect coming from? I know its on the Blue Horror warscroll but if blue horrors aren't in the main list, I don't understand why you get their effect?

Thanks

The Generals Handbook 2018

1 hour ago, Fuggorf said:

The Generals Handbook 2018

GHB 2018 on pg 99  just says "on the Blue Horrors warscroll change the wording of split to... the fate points when pinks die effect." So why is that worded like its an ability for Blue Horrors instead of a static/passive effect of the pinks? Why is it not on the Pink Horror warscroll and why is it possible for units to gain an effect from a warscroll from a unit not being taken? 

16 hours ago, Abattleship91 said:

GHB 2018 on pg 99  just says "on the Blue Horrors warscroll change the wording of split to... the fate points when pinks die effect." So why is that worded like its an ability for Blue Horrors instead of a static/passive effect of the pinks? Why is it not on the Pink Horror warscroll and why is it possible for units to gain an effect from a warscroll from a unit not being taken? 

The same way that summoning used to work, where you had on the warscroll of said daemon how you could summon him by a spell and that spell was known by all CHAOS WIZARDS . 
|It is indeed a passive effect you benefit from because you play a unit with the right keyword, here PINK HORROR. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Asimov said:

The same way that summoning used to work, where you had on the warscroll of said daemon how you could summon him by a spell and that spell was known by all CHAOS WIZARDS . 
|It is indeed a passive effect you benefit from because you play a unit with the right keyword, here PINK HORROR. 

Thank you!

Hey folks,

I've been considering working towards a second army and DoT has been a tempting option with all of the spells and the capability of using many of the same models in a 40k army list. Are there any good 1k lists that I could start out with that have mortal units mixed with demons that'd translate well over to a 40k list of the same size?

If there's already a list somewhere, just let me know. I just don't want to spend a lot of time going through 56 pages if there's nothing there that I'm looking for. ^^;

I'm just starting a DoT army and before building my unit of 10 Tzaangors I wanted to check if this load out was optimal with the new shield rule.

Twistbray, Icon Bearer and Brayhorn with Greatblades

1 more Greatblade

5 pair of Savage Blades, 2 of these are mutants

1 Savage Blade with Shield

Edited by DoctorBaloney

Hi everyone, 

was wondering if there are any go to lists for tzeentch at the moment and if there are any models that i should steer away from as they're weak or maybe too expensive (in points) for their powerlevel? was thinking of getting an ogroid even though they've changed his summon of horrors. I am currently playing

1 Lord of change
6 enlightened
3 skyfires 
2 tzaangor shamans
3 x 10 tzaangors 
3 flamers
Haven't been too successful so I'm just fishing for some opinions :D  

42 minutes ago, Levvox said:

Hi everyone, 

was wondering if there are any go to lists for tzeentch at the moment and if there are any models that i should steer away from as they're weak or maybe too expensive (in points) for their powerlevel? was thinking of getting an ogroid even though they've changed his summon of horrors. I am currently playing

1 Lord of change
6 enlightened
3 skyfires 
2 tzaangor shamans
3 x 10 tzaangors 
3 flamers
Haven't been too successful so I'm just fishing for some opinions :D  

Hi again,

You should try the Gaunt summoner with familiars, it is really good. No need to take 2 shamans. 
Enlighteneds are in a really good place right now, they can go by 9 with shaman babysitting and casting fold reality on them. Skyfires are probably over priced.

1 or 2 units of Pinks that you will sacrifice (arcane sacrifice, and/or endless spells) to farm blue horror points and resurect with destiny dices of 1.

Tzaangors are better by 20 for the extra attack. Otherwise if you need to fill battlelines, Kairics by 10 or Chaos warriors, or Marauders. 

The LoC is good

The ogroid is not that bad especially to steel objectives (MW inflicted  = Brimstones spawned --> can help to get the control of an objective). 

The deamons are expensive for what they do, but played well they are not bad at all. 6 or 9 screamers against a list where there is a lot of behemoth is pretty nice!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Asimov said:

Hi again,

You should try the Gaunt summoner with familiars, it is really good. No need to take 2 shamans. 
Enlighteneds are in a really good place right now, they can go by 9 with shaman babysitting and casting fold reality on them. Skyfires are probably over priced.

1 or 2 units of Pinks that you will sacrifice (arcane sacrifice, and/or endless spells) to farm blue horror points and resurect with destiny dices of 1.

Tzaangors are better by 20 for the extra attack. Otherwise if you need to fill battlelines, Kairics by 10 or Chaos warriors, or Marauders. 

The LoC is good

The ogroid is not that bad especially to steel objectives (MW inflicted  = Brimstones spawned --> can help to get the control of an objective). 

The deamons are expensive for what they do, but played well they are not bad at all. 6 or 9 screamers against a list where there is a lot of behemoth is pretty nice!

haha hi again ^^ , thx for the feedback, That's some pretty good advice I'll be sure to make a use of it ^^ 
where do i get the familiars though ?  Is it worth to take 30 tzaangors as a single unit for the "discount" and fill the battlelines up with acolytes ? Still got those lying around from my battlebox :D

Edited by Levvox

I've tried lots of stuff and personally my best units were: 6x Enlightened (even without a Shaman) and Gaunt Summoner on Balewind Vortex (with Familiars - he's INSANE). Those two performed extremely well in my games and are a great start for a 1k list IMO. Pink Horrors are decent, mostly for their casting and as speedbumps (due to splitting) though you could also just use some endless spells for the job (I had a lot of success with shackles and prismatic palisade).

Kairic Acolytes never did me any good so far but I play against elite armies (Ironjawz, Nurgle, StD), so that is to be expected. Flamers underperformed as well but that might be down to me rolling badly. 

Well, I tried to throw something together. This is my attempt to think up a 1k DoT army that I could possibly convert (with some swapping of course) into a similarly sized Thousands Sons army. It's probably a travesty but hey. I learned a lot from throwing bad army lists over in the KO forum, so hoping I can do the same here. The Gaunt Summoner would be the General. Just forgot to mark that.

Leaders
Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch (180)
- Artefact: Aspect of Tzeentch 

Battleline
- Lore of Change: Bolt of Tzeentch
10 x Tzaangors (180)
- 8x Pair of Savage Blade
- 2x Savage Blade & Arcanite Shield

Units
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Chaos Glaives
3 x Tzaangor Enlightened (100)

Endless Spells
Malevolent Maelstrom (20)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 74

I'd replace the Gaunt Summoner with Ahriman or a Sorcerer Lord in 40k. And the Tzaangors (possibly) with Rubrics, and the Knights with Scarab Occult Terminators? Not sure. Was hoping for some advice.

16 hours ago, Levvox said:

do you use the summoner in a more supportive roll ? or do you try do do as much damage through spells as possible ?

The Summoner is a very reliable damage dealer with +1 to cast (familiar) and another +1 with the LoC command. 
I usually put Bolt of Tzeentch and give the  Tzeentch Firestorm to the LoC. The other way works as well. 

It is a good idea to use him with the balewind for the extra spell and the bonus to cast range. If you make it your general with Arcane sacrifice you can cast at 33''

Edited by Asimov

15 hours ago, DavionStar said:

Well, I tried to throw something together. This is my attempt to think up a 1k DoT army that I could possibly convert (with some swapping of course) into a similarly sized Thousands Sons army. It's probably a travesty but hey. I learned a lot from throwing bad army lists over in the KO forum, so hoping I can do the same here. The Gaunt Summoner would be the General. Just forgot to mark that.

Leaders
Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch (180)
- Artefact: Aspect of Tzeentch 

Battleline
- Lore of Change: Bolt of Tzeentch
10 x Tzaangors (180)
- 8x Pair of Savage Blade
- 2x Savage Blade & Arcanite Shield

Units
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Chaos Glaives
3 x Tzaangor Enlightened (100)

Endless Spells
Malevolent Maelstrom (20)

I'd replace the Gaunt Summoner with Ahriman or a Sorcerer Lord in 40k. And the Tzaangors (possibly) with Rubrics, and the Knights with Scarab Occult Terminators? Not sure. Was hoping for some advice.

For me you are missing spells (come on it Tzeentch! ^^), so 1 or 2 additional casters (Shaman, Ogroid, Magister, Herald...) or 1 caster that throws 2 spells (the LoC fills the spot)
For the Tzaangor you want as many great blades as you can, same for mutant and you need 1 shield, the rest is pair of blades.
In this list you try to do a bit of everything and i am afraid you wont achieve much. You have some spells, some close, some tankiness. I pick the enligtened on disc every day over the chaos knights. You need to choose at 1000 points.

One way is to go with 2*10 pinks and kill them yourselves with endless spells in order to farm blues and flood the bord and take objectives. For that having a fast flying wizard can be nice. 
Another way is to go full close. 6 or 9 enlightened on disc and you fill the battle lines with what fits (kairic, chaos warriors or tzaangors)

These are good ways to start and upgrade to 2000.

If you want to play TS, you can totally reuse the Tzaangors. They are actually a pretty good troop unit by 30 with the savage blades, you have several ways tu buff them and they have a bonus to run and charge. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2019 at 6:29 PM, Deadkitten said:

Just don't pull that shield dude!

Since you want to remove the one with the shield at the end, would it be better to put the shield on the Icon Bearer. The load out would be:

Twistbray and Brayhorn with Greatblades

2 more with Greatblades

5 pair of Savage Blades, 2 of these are mutants

Icon Bearer with Savage Blade and Shield

Needing some help/advice....newish player here and love the lore, look of Tzeentch...and the painting. But not fairing well when I play.....my current list is the following:

Lord of Change  - 

Gaunt summoner w/ familiars -  general....Arcane sacrifice...tzeentch's          inferno

blue scribes...fold reality

Herald on foot

Magister ...bolt of tzeentch 

10x pinks  ...Unchecked mutation

10x pinks ....bolt of Tzeentch

20 x acolytes

vortex beast 

spell portal

Cogs 

Balewind  

I've noticed my problems are at least 2 fold: 1 I sometimes forget certain abilities or summoning (a lot to keep track of),_2 not familiar with objective based gameplay (I focus more on surviving and killing more models). 

Appreciate any feedback 

Hello fellow chaos followers

My brother plays daemons of tzeentch (gaunt summoner, summoner on disc, ogroid, flamers, pink...) and it is his birthday soon. I would like to gift him some endless spells, as he doesn't have any yet.

Are there some "top picks" or "auto include" for daemons of tzeentch please?

I play a wizard-heavy skaven army so there will be some crazy magic battles to come!

1 hour ago, Num said:

Hello fellow chaos followers

My brother plays daemons of tzeentch (gaunt summoner, summoner on disc, ogroid, flamers, pink...) and it is his birthday soon. I would like to gift him some endless spells, as he doesn't have any yet.

Are there some "top picks" or "auto include" for daemons of tzeentch please?

I play a wizard-heavy skaven army so there will be some crazy magic battles to come!

A pretty nice spell for tzeentch, since the magic is pretty important is the balewind vortex, to boost the range and safe of a wizard. Aside from that i personally think the spellportal is a fun spell to play with, to get some extra range or hit some sneaky unit around the wall ;) 

• Thanks 1

Ok, I've updated my 1k list a bit. Took out the Horrors and Knights, added in a big chunk of Kairics, Curseling and switched to Enlightened on discs. Looked up the Warscrolls again to set up weapons better. Had room for a bigger Endless Spell so I put in Balewind Vortex.  @Asimov This list better? Could it use some more tweaking?

New full list is under the spoiler thing to prevent another huge post.

Spoiler

Leaders
Curseling, Eye of Tzeentch (160)
- General
- Trait: Magical Supremacy 
- Lore of Fate: Infusion Arcanum
- Artefact: Souldraught 

Battleline
20 x Kairic Acolytes (160)
- 12x Pair of Cursed Blades
- 2x Cursed Blade & Arcanite Shield
- 6x Cursed Glaives
10 x Tzaangors (180)
- 7x Pair of Savage Blade
- 2x Savage Greatblade
- 1x Savage Blade & Arcanite Shield

Units

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)

5 hours ago, DavionStar said:

Ok, I've updated my 1k list a bit. Took out the Horrors and Knights, added in a big chunk of Kairics, Curseling and switched to Enlightened on discs. Looked up the Warscrolls again to set up weapons better. Had room for a bigger Endless Spell so I put in Balewind Vortex.  @Asimov This list better? Could it use some more tweaking?

New full list is under the spoiler thing to prevent another huge post.

Hide contents

Leaders
Curseling, Eye of Tzeentch (160)
- General
- Trait: Magical Supremacy 
- Lore of Fate: Infusion Arcanum
- Artefact: Souldraught 

Battleline
20 x Kairic Acolytes (160)
- 12x Pair of Cursed Blades
- 2x Cursed Blade & Arcanite Shield
- 6x Cursed Glaives
10 x Tzaangors (180)
- 7x Pair of Savage Blade
- 2x Savage Greatblade
- 1x Savage Blade & Arcanite Shield

Units

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)

It looks pretty nice, totally woth playtesting. You have chaffs for objectives control and bubble wrapping your sorcerers. At 1000 points you will probably control the magical phase. You just may miss some letality with your spells, I would probably give the Bolt to the Curseling and Tz  Inferno to the Summoner. Not a fan of Infusion Arcanum. But it is true they are pretty tough to cast. 
Keep your discs for counter charge and take control of far away objectives. You may find that you are missing the shaman with fold reality to increase the reliability of the discs and to replenish the unit, this is often a game breaker. 

Tell us how it goes against your opponents ;)

• Thanks 1