AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

You can have as many as you want - not a special named character.

I find that's a good addition to the army. His own spell is nice  and it's cast on a 7+. You can use Destiny Dice to boost it (Magisters spell is better though, Spawn > Brimstones), alternatively you could use Infusion Arcanum on him instead to make him more reliable in combat - which he's pretty decent at especially if he charges in.

He's not a mandatory choice, but he opens up more options for us with the MORTAL keywords and actually being able to fight , so the Mortal items/traits can be good on him.

47 minutes ago, Calum Todd said:

Infusion Arcanum on him instead to make him more reliable in combat

Treacherous Bond is also extremely valid ... when used in combination with Pink Horrors you get a replenishing pool wound pool on a solid beat stick. (I’ll have you know that an Ogroid Thaumaturge with 28 effective wounds sticks around for a crazy number of rounds ... and can generate a crazy number of Blue Horror Points ... true story.) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hello all,

i was curious what you guys think of kairoc acolytes? I shall specify what i mean, i’m not particular fond at tzaangors so if i want to play Tzeentch with mortals I have thise lovely kairic acolytes, which i find great models. Aesthetically I mean.

I as thinking of a 1500 points army using the battallion witch fire. And I was wondering if i still could be somewhat of a competition if i, for example max out the units of acolytes and enlightend, which are needed for witch 

fire and the  rest of the points fill up with, well, i guess Ogroid, shaman, maybe a magister and or gaunt summoner.

thz in advance

I think the witchfire cult is only going to be worth it with BIG units of acolytes (30+), so you can get them up in the opponent's face to make sure your in 18" for the hero phase without them getting wiped out quickly.

Had a good game over the weekend with a 2k change host: LoC Herald on foot, Herald on disk, 4 *10 Pink horrors, 3 flamers and 2*3 screamers. The magic damage output was insane, burning through my opponents characters and black coach in 2 turns despite a large unit of Banshees + 3 unbinds from Heros. After than is was a romp for the LoC and massed horrors carving through unsupported unbuffed night-haunts. 

The only problem I had as running out of models, between Icons (with the help of 4 ones on destiny dice) and fold time, I created 15 more Pinks and ended the game with over 50 spare blue horror points. I thought my 30 blues would be enough, but had the game been closer I would have really missed those extra bodies. How many blues do people generally bring along for splitting and summoning? (especially for pure demons) I'm thinking that even if I cut down to 30 pinks I'll still need to pick up and paint more blues, and that's before adding some as starting units (or summoning with fate points).

On 9/5/2018 at 3:55 AM, Magnus The Blue said:

Anyone got any thoughts or ideally experience dealing with Nagash?  I tend to play pure Demons, so very heavy on magic and can see his 8 unbindings at +3 and  4+ save from mortal wounds make him near impossible to stop. Perhaps I'm just catastraphising as I've not actually faced him yet.

9 Skyfires will fix that

4 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

9 Skyfires will fix that

Will they?

9 shots, means 3 will do mortal wounds (assuming Shammy is near by) of those average 6 wounds, he'll ignore half so 3 wounds done  Another 3 will hit without mortal wounds, 2 of those wound and one saved, so average 2 more wounds. So your 660 point units (with 180 point support character) has done 5 wounds (on average).

Sure you can use destiny dice to improve it slightly, but it's still going to take 3 turns at least (assuming your skyfires remain intact).

Edited by Magnus The Blue

5 minutes ago, Lou_Cypher said:

If you can somehow take first turn against Nagash, you can try betting your entire hand Destiny Dicing Hand of Dust with the Changeling. 

And using Kairos Fateweaver to cause Nagash to fail his Unbind.

If it works, hilarious. If it doesn't, there's a dead Changeling.

LOL, love it.

I'm usually running 90% of my units in a change host, so usually get choice of first turn.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:39 AM, Magnus The Blue said:

Will they?

9 shots, means 3 will do mortal wounds (assuming Shammy is near by) of those average 6 wounds, he'll ignore half so 3 wounds done  Another 3 will hit without mortal wounds, 2 of those wound and one saved, so average 2 more wounds. So your 660 point units (with 180 point support character) has done 5 wounds (on average).

Sure you can use destiny dice to improve it slightly, but it's still going to take 3 turns at least (assuming your skyfires remain intact).

Run the numbers if you shoot him and then fight him in combat with the same unit. May turn out a little better :) 

On 9/5/2018 at 11:55 AM, Magnus The Blue said:

Anyone got any thoughts or ideally experience dealing with Nagash?

Maybe this:

Kairos

Gaunt Summoner on Disc (for speed), with Rune Blade of Chamon for -3 rend on the Warptongue Blade

If you make the charge with the Gaunt (use DD, or CP to re-roll charge if needed), use DD for to-hit + to-wound rolls,  hope that Nagash fails his 6+ save (5/6 chance), then roll 2D6 with at least one 5+ (5/9 chance) and use Kairos' ability if needed to change one die to a 6. With 46.3 % probability, that's one dead Nagash ?

You can also use Arcane Transformation for +1 attack on the Warptongue Blade (cast by a wizard outside the enemies dispell-radius) to double your chances if your DDs are good enough ... if it can kill Nagash, that "Gaunt Missile"(TM) can kill almost everything in the game :)

FYI, Tzaangors were changed with the new BoC rules, new warscrolls are up on GW

• Tzaangors now have the Beasts of Chaos and Brayherd keywords in addition to all the others
  • Tzaangor Skyfires/Enlightened don't have Preternatural Enhancement anymore, it's an ability on the Tzaangor Shaman now, is now wholly within 12" instead of within 9"
  • Tzaangor Skyfires Judgement from Afar is now on unmodified hits of 6
  • Tzaangor Enlightened have 3 spear attacks now
  • Tzaangor Shamans can drink their elixir at any point in the hero phase now instead of at the start
  • Tzaangor Shaman's Boon of Mutation now adds a model to an existing unit instead of making a new one
Edited by relic456

For those keeping score, Brayherd is relevant for abilities on Great Bray Shamans and Beastlords:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-great-bray-shaman-en.pdf

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-beastlord-en.pdf

Tzaangor stuff near a GBS is going to be FAST. 

35 minutes ago, relic456 said:

FYI, Tzaangors were changed with the new BoC rules, new warscrolls are up on GW

• Tzaangors now have the Beasts of Chaos and Brayherd keywords in addition to all the others
  • Tzaangor Skyfires/Enlightened don't have Preternatural Enhancement anymore, it's an ability on the Tzaangor Shaman now, is now wholly within 12" instead of within 9"
  • Tzaangor Skyfires Judgement from Afar is now on unmodified hits of 6
  • Tzaangor Enlightened have 3 spear attacks now
  • Tzaangor Shamans can drink their elixir at any point in the hero phase now instead of at the start
  • Tzaangor Shaman's Boon of Mutation now adds a model to an existing unit instead of making a new one

After the new Stormcast Battletome, I expected some of these changes, but I thought they would come with the next DoT Battletome (effect ranges changed from "within" to "wholly within", effects that trigger on 6+ changed to unmodified 6)...

Tzaangor Shaman: the elixir got worse, as its re-roll now affects only the additional spell, not both spells...

Tzaangor Skyfires: are they worth 220 points now? First "Look out, Sir!", now this ... I think their cost should be reduced significantly (maybe 180?)

Only bright side is the Enlightened bonus spear attack...

7 minutes ago, PlayerOfGames said:

After the new Stormcast Battletome, I expected some of these changes, but I thought they would come with the next DoT Battletome (effect ranges changed from "within" to "wholly within", effects that trigger on 6+ changed to unmodified 6)...

Tzaangor Shaman: the elixir got worse, as its re-roll now affects only the additional spell, not both spells...

Tzaangor Skyfires: are they worth 220 points now? First "Look out, Sir!", now this ... I think their cost should be reduced significantly (maybe 180?)

Only bright side is the Enlightened bonus spear attack...

Not everything is "wholly within". Even the new Herdstone for beastmen prejects 2 auras, 1 wholly, and 1 simply within. Seems hit or miss with which abilities they decide on honestly.

Rumor is Skyfires are going down to 200. We also know Enlightened on foot are getting a separate points value, which might possibly make them a decent option.

The change to “Natural 6” is actually pretty awesome ... you can’t get modified out of Mortal wound damage. Sure, it’s not as consistent ... but it’s a 33% chance of mortals natively for all attacks that hit.

Any -hit from your opponent no longer matters ~17% of the time. Roll a natural 6 to hit ... and Mortal Wounds it is.

It is the cool annoyance that the Spirit Hosts have (Natural 6s causing mortals) only they cause mortal wounds on 50% of their hits as they only hit on a 5+.

31 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

The change to “Natural 6” is actually pretty awesome ... 

Hmm, I am not impressed... for 6 Skyfires that's on average 1D3 MW @24" range per shooting phase (and of the 9 DD, on average there are 1.5 sixes...). Add to this ~2D3 normal damage @rend -1 ... And that unit costs 440 points (or maybe 400 ?). 

Maybe it's better to regard their shooting as a bonus and see their mobility plus close combat (with re-rolls) as the main feature.

48 minutes ago, PlayerOfGames said:

Hmm, I am not impressed... for 6 Skyfires that's on average 1D3 MW @24" range per shooting phase (and of the 9 DD, on average there are 1.5 sixes...). Add to this ~2D3 normal damage @rend -1 ... And that unit costs 440 points (or maybe 400 ?). 

Maybe it's better to regard their shooting as a bonus and see their mobility plus close combat (with re-rolls) as the main feature.

So. that mortal wound? It ignores negative modifiers.

No issue with Look out, Sir!

Aerial Battles? Ignore that “subtract 1” on targets over half range.

Seraphon Coronal Shield problems? No problem... ignore that -1 to hit ...

Wanderers -1 to hit the bearer artefact? No problem!

Previously, the only chance you had was the Aviarch, unless you were within range of the Shaman.

Sure, in general it will do fewer mortal wounds... but natural 6s are always a success.

If your unit is “Wholly within” range of the Shaman buff ... great. But there’s a bunch of Artefacts and abilities that subtract 1 from hit rolls.

And it does answer the issue of Skyfire Spam. Without more cost increases. (And aligns them with all of the newer battletomes.)