- Scroll of the Dark Arts

- Vulcharc

- 3 x Cursed Glaive and Arcanite Shield

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS

1 x Chronomantic Cogs (40)

1 x Tome of Eyes (40)

TOTAL POINTS: 1990/2000

37 minutes ago, Duke of Mousillon said:

Yeah as long as you can give the Magister the enhancement for doubles on cast he seems like a grand level 2 wizard. Would also take him if I have the enhancement free

Not sure what you mean by the Enhancement for doubles on casting? Do you mean Arcane tome?

If thats what you mean, Gave the Chaos Sorc Lord the Arcane tome to make him 2 caster because of Magister's ability to cast again if first cast in the round is successful, essentially making him a two cast wizzo as his scroll reads at the minute. 

The list kind of revolves around the idea of the Magister staying alive further back to bring in the LOCs, and then using them as Glass Canons really. 

Archaon as the Hammer, not much of an Anvil though. 

I really like the idea behind the Archaon list, Shield of Fate working on any Tzeentch unit is tasty. I almost wonder though if you'd skip the Sorcerer Lord to fit in a Magister on disk just so you aren't so worried about the one Magister being the focal point of your summoning? I think between a near guaranteed Mystic Shield and Shield of Fate plus All Out Defence/Finest Hour he should be plenty tanky enough in most cases. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

Magister on Disc, paired with Cult-Demagog trait is incredible. You can just pass your bad DD as doubles and they will auto-cast, without the fear of blowing up AND they'll count as 2FP each cast. On the rules, you can pick which effect comes first so Cult-Demagog trait nulifies his bad trait. He has really good stats, is cheap and can summon Spawns. Pretty much auto include for me.

Thanks for the more detailed explanation! 👍 still waiting on my copy, so I‘m prone to misjudging some units/heroes. It sounds very interesting, although I do like the time-slip pendant for some cheap hero killing too. 🤔 I will definitely try the magister on disc:

bonus: he reminds me of cartoon movie cobra commander

malus: he reminds me of cartoon movie cobra commander! 🙈 (what a tragedy that movie was…) 😂

• Haha 1

Wow that looks WAY better than what I had pictured in my head. Fantastic realization of the concept and color scheme! Particularly good job selling the 'internal glow' look with that pale blue.

In other news, has anyone tried stacking Acolyte spellcasts on the same unit to see if they can get some rend -9 attacks going? Obviously it would be utterly pointless in mechanical terms but it would be hilarious.

• Like 1

Quick question. Does the Cult Demagogue trait keeps you from failing a cast with double 1s? I'm wondering if it does because it says: "If a casting roll for this general is a double, the casting attempt is successful and the spell cannot be unbound (REGARDLESS OF THE ROLL)

It's the regardless part that sounds like even if it is a double 1, it would still go through. What do you guys think?

4 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

Quick question. Does the Cult Demagogue trait keeps you from failing a cast with double 1s? I'm wondering if it does because it says: "If a casting roll for this general is a double, the casting attempt is successful and the spell cannot be unbound (REGARDLESS OF THE ROLL)

It's the regardless part that sounds like even if it is a double 1, it would still go through. What do you guys think?

Yes

On 10/5/2022 at 4:36 PM, NinthMusketeer said:

It is a metamorphosis, a total transformation of being. A lot of factors come into play while others are removed; they can no longer die, they require magic/worship to summon & sustain them, they are utterly slaved to the will of their god, they can be affected by bindings and wards against daemons, etc. Getting a new name is pretty minor in comparison, and it is probably one the god gives them at the moment of ascension. 

The whole point of the trope is that it's a vulnerability. If your true name could change, there would be no threat. That's the reason its called true, because it's fixed. It's dumb writing.

It would be way better if it wasn't that way. It gives them Chaos Gods a real motive for seeking worthy mortals if they cant 100% rely on their warp spawned daemons.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila

Few questions here,

Cult Demagogue on Curseling to be a battery or on a disc magister to make him safer from spawndom and more likely to get his 2nd spell off?

Tome of eyes, use the reroll for magisters to help avoid double (if not cult demagogue) or fire it on the Curseling if he has it instead alongside arcane tome to maximise generation?

Or just try use destiny dice always for the magisters second cast?

Cheers for any input

@Adammck66 we are still quite early in but generally speaking I enjoy the Curseling over the Magister as my leader just because he is a bit harder to kill. So he would get the command trait. It is not too much between the two but that is my initial thought right now. 

I would not use Tome of Eyes on either of those. Chronomatic Cogs is the answer. Both reasons you give would not give me enough incentive to use Tome.

20 hours ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

The whole point of the trope is that it's a vulnerability. If your true name could change, there would be no threat. That's the reason its called true, because it's fixed. It's dumb writing.

It would be way better if it wasn't that way. It gives them Chaos Gods a real motive for seeking worthy mortals if they cant 100% rely on their warp spawned daemons.

It can't change. Mortals don't have true names, daemons do. On becoming a daemon they get a true name, it's intuitive and fits with the established rules of the setting. The writers aren't being lazy at all; personally preferring it to be different doesn't make it dumb.

Edited by NinthMusketeer

On 10/10/2022 at 12:33 PM, Adammck66 said:

Aye good point however I'll be using Tome over cogs mainlt because I wont have them lol.

Can cogs be auto cast at the beginning of the game? Because that's the selling point of Tome of Eyes for me. 

I'm actually painting a 1250 pts force led by 

Cursling

Magister, cult demagogue, arcane tome

That way Magister is able to cast 2 to 3 spells per turn without fear to become a spawn. Unbindable casts on a double with rerolls (Tome of Eyes) seem to be pretty awesome. 

On 10/10/2022 at 12:33 PM, Adammck66 said:

On 10/9/2022 at 1:18 PM, NinthMusketeer said:

It can't change. Mortals don't have true names, daemons do. On becoming a daemon they get a true name, it's intuitive and fits with the established rules of the setting. The writers aren't being lazy at all; personally preferring it to be different doesn't make it dumb.

Just because the writers spin the trope doesn't make it good or intuitive.

I was watching Coach's DoT review with Kaleb Walters, super good. Some guys in the comment section are saying that the auto-cast from Arcane Armies and the 2+ auto-cast from Blue Scribes don't generate FP because they are not "rolls" per say, even if the designer's note says that you generate a FP when your wizard or enemy wizard successfully casts a spell. 

Honestly I feel like this is stretching the rules a bit. I mean, intentionally, in the game, the wizard casts a spell anyway, whether he rolls or use some other mechanic... he would generate a FP. Usually GW try to match what's going on on the battlefield with their rules. What do you guys think of this?

52 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

the auto-cast from Arcane Armies and the 2+ auto-cast from Blue Scribes don't generate FP because they are not "rolls" per say

Yeah IDK, will need an FAQ, but why give us these abilities if they don't synergize with the Army. I respect that these people are calling these out, it's good to think about, my concern is if they're saying these need to be rolled for, then this would have to be implemented AOS wide, for not only spells, but auto-dispells, unbinds etc, right?

Thats my thoughts anyway. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

I was watching Coach's DoT review with Kaleb Walters, super good. Some guys in the comment section are saying that the auto-cast from Arcane Armies and the 2+ auto-cast from Blue Scribes don't generate FP because they are not "rolls" per say, even if the designer's note says that you generate a FP when your wizard or enemy wizard successfully casts a spell. 

Honestly I feel like this is stretching the rules a bit. I mean, intentionally, in the game, the wizard casts a spell anyway, whether he rolls or use some other mechanic... he would generate a FP. Usually GW try to match what's going on on the battlefield with their rules. What do you guys think of this?

Probably could use a FAQ but I dont think other casting roll replacementmechanics like Teclis got FAQed out of Fate Points from earlier books. Come to an agreement with your TO or opponent pre-game until now.

FP on the pre-game endless spell is a pretty big deal IMO since it significantly helps for a first turn summon IMO.

• Like 1