AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

24 minutes ago, Cambot1231 said:

Anyone have any experience/ luck using the Fateskimmer, Herald of Tzeentch on Burning Chariot?  I have heard a few podcasts saying he is underpointed in the new battletome but I would like to hear from people who have used him on the tabletop.

I only have limited experience because I only managed to get\ a few games in before lockdown. However, I really like the Fateskimmer. Positioning your heroes to provide buffs, particularly the locus buff for horrors, and to set up for summoning is extremely important. Even if you're going changehost, you'll want heroes with high mobility to support without using up your teleport. Both the fateskimmer and the fluxmaster fit the bill perfectly, but for only 10 points more than the fluxmaster, the fateskimmer gets an array of bonuses like extra wounds, extra abilities, better damage profile, a better spell and a larger base size which means a larger surface area for the locus and any other aoe buffs from artefacts like the Aura of Mutability. The biggest downside to a fateskimmer is that due to it's large size, it is also slightly harder to screen against melee threats.

• Thanks 1

Just want to ask quickly; 2 in 5 Tzaangors can have great weapons. One Tzaangor can be a twistbray (champion). One of the great weapon ones can be the twistbray right? Unless an FAQ/errata killed that and I missed it. I was planning on using the Eyes of the 9 Tzaangor as the unit champ and turning another one from the box into a shaman. 

Our gaming group hoping to resume playing as soon as reasonable and that will come with premier of Tzeentch.

Tried looking through thread for answers to a couple of questions that have come up regarding the following list:

Hosts Arcanum

Heroes

Curseling General w/Infusion Arcanum

Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch w/Glimpse the Future and Aspect of Tzeentch Artefact

Gaunt Summoner on Disc of Tzeentch w/Arcane Suggestion

The Blue Scribes w/Treason of Tzeentch

The Fateskimmer w/Fold Reality and The Fanged Circlet Artefact 

Battleline

20x Pink Horrors

10x Kairic Acolytes

10x Kairic Acolytes

6x Screamers of Tzeentch

3x Screamers of Tzeentch

Endless Spells

Emerald Lifeswarm

Balewind Vortex

Aether-eater Host Battalion

-x-x-x-

Q1: Does the up to 6” movement for d3 units for the Command Trait Spell Hunters occur before or after priority has been determined for Turn 1?

Q2: For the Tides of Anarchy Agenda, if accomplished by the unit of Pink Horrors do all subsequently summoned Blues and Brimstones (or for that matter returned Pinks from 1s with Battleshock or the Emerald Lifeswarm) count as 2 models or just the models that were there when the objective was seized?

Q3: Similar question for the Reckless Abandon  or Ninefold Dismemberment Agendas re: do all subsequent models summoned/returned get the +1 to melee attacks or +1 to Hit?

With the number of Pinks potentially on the table want to be sure we’re thinking about this new aspect of the tome correctly in relation to them.  Thanks in advance for the help here.

Any feedback on list also appreciated. 

Edited by Beer & Pretzels Gamer

1 hour ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Our gaming group hoping to resume playing as soon as reasonable and that will come with premier of Tzeentch.

Tried looking through thread for answers to a couple of questions that have come up regarding the following list:

Hosts Arcanum

Heroes

Curseling General w/Infusion Arcanum

Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch w/Glimpse the Future and Aspect of Tzeentch Artefact

Gaunt Summoner on Disc of Tzeentch w/Arcane Suggestion

The Blue Scribes w/Treason of Tzeentch

The Fateskimmer w/Fold Reality and The Fanged Circlet Artefact 

Battleline

20x Pink Horrors

10x Kairic Acolytes

10x Kairic Acolytes

6x Screamers of Tzeentch

3x Screamers of Tzeentch

Endless Spells

Emerald Lifeswarm

Balewind Vortex

Aether-eater Host Battalion

-x-x-x-

Q1: Does the up to 6” movement for d3 units for the Command Trait Spell Hunters occur before or after priority has been determined for Turn 1?

Q2: For the Tides of Anarchy Agenda, if accomplished by the unit of Pink Horrors do all subsequently summoned Blues and Brimstones (or for that matter returned Pinks from 1s with Battleshock or the Emerald Lifeswarm) count as 2 models or just the models that were there when the objective was seized?

Q3: Similar question for the Reckless Abandon  or Ninefold Dismemberment Agendas re: do all subsequent models summoned/returned get the +1 to melee attacks or +1 to Hit?

With the number of Pinks potentially on the table want to be sure we’re thinking about this new aspect of the tome correctly in relation to them.  Thanks in advance for the help here.

Any feedback on list also appreciated. 

The unit benefits from the boons. The added horrors are part of the unit. They get the buff like any other (de)buff currently active on the unit.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 1:07 AM, Myzyrael said:

The unit benefits from the boons. The added horrors are part of the unit. They get the buff like any other (de)buff currently active on the unit.

Thanks.  We were initially luke warm on the Agendas of Anarchy but while it might take a little setting up the Horrors-specific shenanigans were winning us over, as long as all the summoned and restored Horrors in that unit still got benefit.

Are Enlightened on foot a good choice for melee, or should you always put them on disc? It seems tempting to save points and playing 9 of them on foot rather than 6 of them on disc, and still have 60 points leftover for something else, but is that something Tzeentch players do, or are they only on foot when you have no room for the discs?

1 hour ago, Charsiupao said:

Are Enlightened on foot a good choice for melee, or should you always put them on disc? It seems tempting to save points and playing 9 of them on foot rather than 6 of them on disc, and still have 60 points leftover for something else, but is that something Tzeentch players do, or are they only on foot when you have no room for the discs?

I personally used my Silver Tower Tzaangors to make Enlightened on foot, so I bought the following:

1 box Tzaangors, 1 Aether Wars, Silver Tower, Eyes of the Nine Shadespire band. 
it gives me: 2 units of Skyfires, 2 units of Enlightened on foot, 1 unit of Tzaangors with the Eyes Tzaangor as a unit champ and one leftover to be converted to a Shaman. Gives you 920pts of Tzaangors that way. Haven’t played with it (Thanks, Covid!), but minimal box set purchases for maximum value. 

On 5/22/2020 at 9:19 AM, Malakithe said:

Generals handbook is coming. What points changes do we want or predict? 

Kairics down 10 points

Tzaangors- down 20, Wishlist: Unit size changed to 5-30, 15 Tzaangors seems like a potential sweetspot in terms of usability, and saving the cost of 5 could go a long way.

Enlightened and skyfires on disk down 20

Enlightened on foot - Battleline with TZAANGOR General

Flamers up 20

Pink Horrors up 40, Ideally there would be an FAQ or warscroll change to make healing them less obnoxious so they don't need an increase, but 4 points a wound, and healing being 5x as effective makes them a bit ridiculous.

Lord of Change down 30, This guy just does not measure up well to kairos, 20 points for an extra spellcast and an (arguably) better spell is a steal, but I don't think kairos is undercosted

Gaunt Summoner up 30

Battalions:

Alter-kin Coven: down 60. This battalion is frustrating because the effect is weak, and it doesn't have the composition you want. if this could have more kairics and/or Tzaangors it would be fine but as it is it really wants to be taken in multiples. 80 points may be too cheap for a command point and artifact but the battalion effect itself will probably only occur once per game.

Tzaangor Coven: down 20, might be a bit much with all the other tzaangor point drops though

Changehost: Unchanged, probably controversial, but many of the warscrolls and allegiance abilities have issues, and Changehost exacerbates the problem. Increasing the costs of the individual units is probably enough to bring it in line. (Eternal Conflagration flamers, and pink horrors in general will be a problem even outside of changehost)

• Like 1

Rules question:

Would you say that the Lord of Change can eat an endless spell whenever in the hero phase, or only at the start?

There is this FAQ on the Night Haunt banshee:

Q: I have a question regarding the Myrmourn Banshees ability 
‘Spell-eaters’ and its interaction with endless spells, specifically 
the part of the rule which reads: “Once in each of your hero 
phases, if this unit is within 6" of an endless spell, this unit 
can attempt to dispel the endless spell in the same manner as 
a Wizard.” Can this ability be used at any time during the 
hero phase?
A: No, it must be used at the start of the hero phase (as 
Wizards can only attempt to dispel at the start of the 
hero phase).

Probably yes, LoC can do it whenever, as it's not stated to be in the same manner as a wizard. But what do you guys think was the intent?

8 hours ago, Rune said:

Rules question:

Would you say that the Lord of Change can eat an endless spell whenever in the hero phase, or only at the start?

There is this FAQ on the Night Haunt banshee:

Q: I have a question regarding the Myrmourn Banshees ability 
‘Spell-eaters’ and its interaction with endless spells, specifically 
the part of the rule which reads: “Once in each of your hero 
phases, if this unit is within 6" of an endless spell, this unit 
can attempt to dispel the endless spell in the same manner as 
a Wizard.” Can this ability be used at any time during the 
hero phase?
A: No, it must be used at the start of the hero phase (as 
Wizards can only attempt to dispel at the start of the 
hero phase).

Probably yes, LoC can do it whenever, as it's not stated to be in the same manner as a wizard. But what do you guys think was the intent?

I would say Spell-eater has to be used at the start of the Herophase because dispelling Endless Spells is restricted to the start of the Herophase. The only difference to the Myrmourn Banshees is that the banshees have to roll dice to disspell it and the Lord of Change does it automaticly with the abilitiy.

The point for the sentence "can attempt to dispel the endless spell in the same manner as a Wizard." is used because the Myrmourn Banshees aren't wizards and you normally need the WIZARD Keyword to Dispell Endless Spells. The Lord of Change doen't need the Sentence because he is a wizard.

Edited by EMMachine
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, EMMachine said:

I would say Spell-eater has to be used at the start of the Herophase because dispelling Endless Spells is restricted to the start of the Herophase. The only difference to the Myrmourn Banshees is that the banshees have to roll dice to disspell it and the Lord of Change does it automaticly with the abilitiy.

The point for the sentence "can attempt to dispel the endless spell in the same manner as a Wizard." is used because the Myrmourn Banshees aren't wizards and you normally need the WIZARD Keyword to Dispell Endless Spells. The Lord of Change doen't need the Sentence because he is a wizard.

It is quite clearly worded on the warscroll "Once per turn, in your hero phase, you can pick one endless spell within 18" of this model. That endless spell is dispelled"

This doesn't specify at the start of the hero phase and this clearly isn't a dispel in the same manner as a wizard since you don't need to give up a spell to use this ability. There are plenty of other ways to have worded this if it did need to be at the start of the hero phase, and the once per hero phase part would be irrelevant if it was at the start of the turn. This also wasn't addressed in the FAQ or designers commentary.

I know in batreps and tournaments people are using it  to dispel their own endless spells as well and it makes sense that a Lord of Change could be capable of this.

I'd say all signs point to this being worded as intended, as a special ability that can dispel endless spells in a unique way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just got some acolytes how do you guys load out your acoyltes? I see some of them can glaives , who should I assign them to (scroll bearer, , vulcharc, adept, etc...)? Also can you have shields with glaives and say a piece of gear like the vulcharch or scroll?

8 hours ago, pho_king_D said:

Just got some acolytes how do you guys load out your acoyltes? I see some of them can glaives , who should I assign them to (scroll bearer, , vulcharc, adept, etc...)? Also can you have shields with glaives and say a piece of gear like the vulcharch or scroll?

from the errata: ‘3 in every 10 models in this unit can replace their weapon option with a Cursed Glaive and Arcanite Shield.’

So yes. as for who to give them to... I typically give one to the adept to get an extra attack with the glaive, then two to other models, mostly for aesthetic. if you want pure competitive, then yes, as the Vulcharc and scroll bearer are the last models you want to remove

2 hours ago, TheTaintedSpud said:

from the errata: ‘3 in every 10 models in this unit can replace their weapon option with a Cursed Glaive and Arcanite Shield.’

So yes. as for who to give them to... I typically give one to the adept to get an extra attack with the glaive, then two to other models, mostly for aesthetic. if you want pure competitive, then yes, as the Vulcharc and scroll bearer are the last models you want to remove

Ah, ty  you and this community reality know how to hit home with your answers , this is exactly the answer I was looking for.

Edited by pho_king_D
"*****" stars for some reason

Hey guys, it's been quite a while since I've played my last game. I heard that we've been blessed with a new battle tome in the meantime. Can anyone give me the most mayor changes? Any units that have gotten completely useless or have risen to the top? 

Much appreciated. 

22 hours ago, Levvox said:

Hey guys, it's been quite a while since I've played my last game. I heard that we've been blessed with a new battle tome in the meantime. Can anyone give me the most mayor changes? Any units that have gotten completely useless or have risen to the top? 

Much appreciated. 

The changes are quite extensive and new mechanics and cult/covens rules got introduced, I'd suggest you to read for a decent overview: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics/Chaos/Disciples_of_Tzeentch

Biggest changes: Gaunt's spell nerfed a bit (he's now at 240 points but comes with a free unit of daemons!), Changeling different, Agendas, Covens, (Pink) Horrors are very different now, enlightened no longer daemons (hence can't be brought back)... Flamers are very good now, especially in Eternal Conflagration lists... I think our rules only got stronger though on the whole despite what this sounds like. :)

It depends on which side you play, really. If you're a primarily daemon player, you got one of the best new books in a while. Survival buffs, damage boosts, new opportunities, all in all a good change.

If you primarily play on the Arcanite side, you got a few new good things, some inexplicable nerfs, and the removal of any notions that things like subfactions or battalions are meant for you.

(Regarding the GHB talk earlier, reductions in points would be nice sure, but I don't think that can address the fundamental issues with the Arcanite side of the book. It needs a rework.)

22 hours ago, Levvox said:

Much appreciated. 

Daemons in general are MUCH more powerful as both flamers and horrors got significant buffs. A unit of 10 pinks is actually 50 wounds, and if you restore slain models you can restore the pinks, which means even more splitting. Flamers just have very high damage output and a long threat range. The rest of the daemon stuff hasn't changed that much, although kairos is now a triple caster. I'm not sure how most of the daemon battalions fare, changehost was so powerful it got nerfed but I'm not too sure about the rest.

Its hard to tell where the arcanites stand though, Tzaangors are relatively unchanged and kairics are more expensive but saw buffs to compensate and most of the arcanite battalions are thoroughly mediocre, with wierd unit compositions, and/or high costs.

The Gaunt summoner is quite good now since he can always summon a unit of pinks (50 wounds of chaff) ans has the daemon, mortal, arcanite and slaves to darkness keywords.

The subfactions are a nice addition, but heavily favor daemons with the two best being the horror and flamer subfactions. The kairic subfaction is great for kairics, buffing their shooting significantly but they still don't match up well vs flamers. Tzaangors seem largely forgotten despite being very prevalent in arcanite battalions. Cult of the transient form is super cool, letting kairics fight before they die, or potentially become a tzaangor, but the chance is low(1 in 6), it requires a normal tzaangor unit within 9" of the slain model, kairics still kind of suck in CC and for some reason has the worst artifact and command trait in the entire book. Hosts arcanum might be good for a tzaangor build since you get a pregame move with d3 fliers and get screamer battleline so you could cut costs on battleline a bit.

Cult of a thousand eyes from wrath of the everchosen seems solid for mortals though, letting you ignore cover and reroll hits in melee against d3 units chosen at the start of the game.

Guild of summoners is super cool though, and probably one of the most fair subfactions and works for daemons, arcanites, or a mix. Its major draw is that it can only summon Lords of change, but the first one costs 9 points, the second 18, and any after are 27.

On 6/3/2020 at 12:55 PM, Ganigumo said:

Kairics down 10 points

Tzaangors- down 20, Wishlist: Unit size changed to 5-30, 15 Tzaangors seems like a potential sweetspot in terms of usability, and saving the cost of 5 could go a long way.

Enlightened and skyfires on disk down 20

Enlightened on foot - Battleline with TZAANGOR General

Flamers up 20

Pink Horrors up 40, Ideally there would be an FAQ or warscroll change to make healing them less obnoxious so they don't need an increase, but 4 points a wound, and healing being 5x as effective makes them a bit ridiculous.

Lord of Change down 30, This guy just does not measure up well to kairos, 20 points for an extra spellcast and an (arguably) better spell is a steal, but I don't think kairos is undercosted

Gaunt Summoner up 30

Battalions:

Alter-kin Coven: down 60. This battalion is frustrating because the effect is weak, and it doesn't have the composition you want. if this could have more kairics and/or Tzaangors it would be fine but as it is it really wants to be taken in multiples. 80 points may be too cheap for a command point and artifact but the battalion effect itself will probably only occur once per game.

Tzaangor Coven: down 20, might be a bit much with all the other tzaangor point drops though

Changehost: Unchanged, probably controversial, but many of the warscrolls and allegiance abilities have issues, and Changehost exacerbates the problem. Increasing the costs of the individual units is probably enough to bring it in line. (Eternal Conflagration flamers, and pink horrors in general will be a problem even outside of changehost)

Has GW ever done a 20% increase on a unit before?  The problem w the Pinks is that 20 is SO much better than 10.  240 for 10 is overcosted.  480 for 20 might be right.  BUT it's GW so I see a path where they increase 10 to 220 and then give the full unit discount do 20 are still 400.  

Flamers need to go up by 20% if Pinks can go up by 20%.  I see the Flamers as the worst culprit.  

I don't see Changehost dodging an increase.  Needs to be 200.

If Pinks do go up then the Gaunt Summoner has to go up as well.  That's easily a 300 pt model.

36 minutes ago, Deadkitten said:

Has GW ever done a 20% increase on a unit before?  The problem w the Pinks is that 20 is SO much better than 10.  240 for 10 is overcosted.  480 for 20 might be right.  BUT it's GW so I see a path where they increase 10 to 220 and then give the full unit discount do 20 are still 400.  

Flamers need to go up by 20% if Pinks can go up by 20%.  I see the Flamers as the worst culprit.  

I don't see Changehost dodging an increase.  Needs to be 200.

If Pinks do go up then the Gaunt Summoner has to go up as well.  That's easily a 300 pt model.

The way I see it the Pink warscroll needs to go, maybe the split can happen at end of phase or in battleshock (with a significant point reduction because of the change in power) but at the moment the sheer efficiency of the unit is too much. This is not really something that can be fixed with just a points change.

240 points for 50 wounds is still among the cheapest wounds in the game (and might even still be the cheapest)

As for flamers, if you push the cost to where they're right for baleful conflagration they become worthless in other builds which is why I don't think they should get pushed up as far, although maybe that's necessary

3 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

The way I see it the Pink warscroll needs to go, maybe the split can happen at end of phase or in battleshock (with a significant point reduction because of the change in power) but at the moment the sheer efficiency of the unit is too much. This is not really something that can be fixed with just a points change.

240 points for 50 wounds is still among the cheapest wounds in the game (and might even still be the cheapest)

As for flamers, if you push the cost to where they're right for baleful conflagration they become worthless in other builds which is why I don't think they should get pushed up as far, although maybe that's necessary

I see your point.  I've gone all in on Horrors.  I run 3 units of 20.  Any point increase basically means just I go down to 20-20-10, which doesn't really solve the problem.  

I really like the framework of the Pinks.  They are only casters at 9 and they need the 20 models for the bonus.  You get rewarded the more you invest.  I also think AoS can do with a decent -1 Rend shooting army.  Again, DoT makes you jump through a hoop which is fine.  You should be able to do powerful things but that also needs to be coupled w a tough decision.

But then they also got the most wounds in a single unit.  Why don't Skaven have that award?  It doesn't even seem on theme.

I can't avoid thinking back to some of the power units and combos in other builds.  Some were around for so long.  Why can't Horrors be good?  And why are we talking about Horrors anyway?  Have you seen what Flamers can do?!?!   There isn't the visceral reaction to damage output the way there is at wound count and I don't really know why.  It would be nice to quantify though.

Any point increase on Flamers will nerf them out of the game.  They are an expensive and extremely fragile glass cannon.  Compared  to the same valued Kharadron Thunderers who have more tank and less damage.  Cities of Sigmar black powder options enjoy either armor, wounds, and/or rend advantages at relative costs.  I don’t see how a 20 point per wound model with variable-reliability attacks needs a point increase.  Especially when there is a host of comparable models that would need a universal point increase to keep things balanced.  Balance in that case effectively being the removal of that group of ranged combat from AoS.

The biggest issue is the Changehost Warscroll Battalion itself.  I played against the Serephon years ago and their free teleport was a dominant game feature.  I’m really surprised the play-testing didn’t encourage GW to remove that sort of mechanic or fix it with restrictions like CP cost.  Changehost may have been an attempt to give DoT a tournament level option or an offset for weak amor and wound counts at expensive point values.  Regardless if something has to be nerfed out of the game I’d choose a Warscroll Battalion over a unit any day of the week.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 5:03 PM, Evil Bob said:

Any point increase on Flamers will nerf them out of the game.  They are an expensive and extremely fragile glass cannon.  Compared  to the same valued Kharadron Thunderers who have more tank and less damage.  Cities of Sigmar black powder options enjoy either armor, wounds, and/or rend advantages at relative costs.  I don’t see how a 20 point per wound model with variable-reliability attacks needs a point increase.  Especially when there is a host of comparable models that would need a universal point increase to keep things balanced.  Balance in that case effectively being the removal of that group of ranged combat from AoS.

The biggest issue is the Changehost Warscroll Battalion itself.  I played against the Serephon years ago and their free teleport was a dominant game feature.  I’m really surprised the play-testing didn’t encourage GW to remove that sort of mechanic or fix it with restrictions like CP cost.  Changehost may have been an attempt to give DoT a tournament level option or an offset for weak amor and wound counts at expensive point values.  Regardless if something has to be nerfed out of the game I’d choose a Warscroll Battalion over a unit any day of the week.

And the original incarnation had TWO teleports per turn.  A CP cost teleport is still very strong indeed, especially coupled with a 1 drop and a glass cannon.  You need to break up that Trifecta somehow or cost it such that it is basically the only thing you're doing.

As far as flamers, you can leave them where they are and inch up the buff pieces and get the same effect.  I do think shooting has a valid role.  The Flamer package just feels too powerful.  Maybe if we got to a similar place as eels where this sort of self policing happens?  

7 hours ago, Deadkitten said:

And the original incarnation had TWO teleports per turn.  A CP cost teleport is still very strong indeed, especially coupled with a 1 drop and a glass cannon.  You need to break up that Trifecta somehow or cost it such that it is basically the only thing you're doing.

As far as flamers, you can leave them where they are and inch up the buff pieces and get the same effect.  I do think shooting has a valid role.  The Flamer package just feels too powerful.  Maybe if we got to a similar place as eels where this sort of self policing happens?  

But, but, three by three is where it’s at! -_-

I  agree having them being able to teleport is tier 1 gameplay.  With normal use having to think about deployment, plan, and most importantly giving your opponent a reasonable ability to counter them is what helps keep them in balance.

In Forbidden Power the extra movement endless-spell requires sacrifice, Warp Spiders in 40k have disappeared in the warp, and the KO with fly-high can be countered with board-control tactics.  Maybe GW needs to do a core mechanic patch, they did it with reinforcement points once.  If CP isn’t enough then instead maybe a mortal wound or slain-roll mechanic for teleporting Changehost and Serephon units.