AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

8 hours ago, Alfavega said:

The german rules are not so perfectly written...

Translations are always tricky, especially when the rules are a bit messy and new madness is piled on top on a regular basis.

At least the FEC book has no blatant mistakes, like I heard from my Khorne buddy 🥳

Hey again, I have 3 games up for our 1500 week of League games. I was using an extension of the list I used at 1250... but tonight and next week I will likely be using list 2 as shown in the post for some variety. Will it win me objective games? Nope, but it's different. Plus, if I'm playing Fyreslayers with 20-40 Hearthguard Berserkers or Khorne with 2+ Bloodthirsters I figure I may as well just bring out the guns and have fun with it.

• Like 1

We did it team. First tournament was a success! Granted it was only a 2 team tournament and one round (Father's Day doesn't bring in many people I guess!). 

Here was the list I ran and my friends:

Team "Going Vegan"

Spoiler

AAR

AAR

Crypt Infernal Courtier

-General

6 Flayers

10 Ghouls

Chalice

Throne

Branchwych

Arch-Revenant

30 Dryads

5x Spite-Revenants

5x Spite-Revenants

6 Hunters w/Greatswords

Our amazing opponents list were roughly:

Spoiler

Durthu

Drycha

20 Dryads

5 Tree-Revenants

Emerald Lifeswarm

Greyseer

Clawlord?

40 Clanrats

10 Stormvermin

10 Stormvermin

10 Big Rats

Plague Priest

Soul Snare Shackles

I forget the missions name but it has two objectives 9" from the board edge in the center. You need to control both to win. 

They ended up deploying first and finished first (by 1 drop!) and opted for us to go first. 

T1

Spoiler

Our first turn I made some pretty big mistakes. I pushed to hard with the Flayers as I thought I could tie up his Clanrats and Priest as they were in the open. I managed to cast Deranged Transformation on them, but all my other powers either failed or they dispelled them (had a nice roll of 11 for FH but they rolled box cars).

My friend pushed forward with his wall of trees and spread out to control the Skaven ability to teleport through the tunnels. I also dropped 20 ghouls and a Varghulf on their week side to start harassing their objective.  

Charge phase saw me fail a 7" charge twice and had my Flayers and Infernal stuck in the open.  Ghouls and Varghulf also failed their charge into the Stormvermin.

Their Turn

They pushed forward and the Sylvaneth mainly ran and spread into the forests. They didn't get any spells off. 10 Stormvermin popped  out of the hole and went after our Spite-Revenants holding our right side. Now the big 40 blob of rats charged into me as did the Plague Priest. I was afraid of this. They have a bunch of attacks and I spread my Flayers out so now he can maximize is damage. 

Though the dice gods were kind and I only lost 3 Flayers and took about 15 Skaven with me.  

T2

Spoiler

They got the double turn and this is where my heart sank. We weren't in a good board position. Our Dryads were strung out to keep the objective safe and I had 10 ghouls on it too. My Flayers were down to 3 and I couldn't muster for another turn. I had 20 Ghouls and my Varghulf in no mans land with no other additional support. We lost 6 of our Spite Revenants on our right side, but thankfully due to them being in terrain the Stormvermin and Tree-Revenants were mainly gone. 

Their turn Drycha used her mortal wound power and slapped the Branchwych out of existence and put some hurt on the Hunters. They positioned carefully for a counter charge and casted Soul Snare Shackles by my 20 ghouls. Combat brought my Flayers down to 1 and in return killed a few Skaven by himself. 

Our Turn 

Mustering brought back only 2 Flayers so I buffed the snot out of them. FH was successful and had an extra 3 attacks. The 20 Ghouls and Varghulf tried to get into position to get their objective but didn't get far because of the Schackles. I screamed at the Clanrats and got really lucky and wiped them out. The Hunters charged into the Dryads and turned them into firewood.  My Flayers went into the Plague Priest and didn't manage much against him. Priest managed to kill all but one Flayer (again) and I did a wound to it.  Durthu managed to wipe our Dryads and battleshock saw one remain.

At this point all we had on the table was a AAR, 30 Ghouls, Varghulf, a Flayer, Infernal, a Dryad, 2 Hunters, and 3 Spite-Revenants. They still had Durthu, Drycha, Greyseer, Plague Priest, 10 Big Rats, 10 Storm Vermin and their other Skaven Hero I can't remember. 

To wrap this up I will keep it simple. They always managed to get the double turn which made the game much harder. I finally managed to break away from the Shackles and the Varghulf killed the Plauge Priest while my Infernal killed the Stormvermin and Big Rats. My partner only had a single Dryad parked on our objective at the end of the game. The Varghulf managed to kill Drycha and my ghouls killed their other Skaven Hero allowing us to take their objective winning us the game. 

Overall models and the table were 1 AAR, 29 Ghouls, Varghulf and a Dryad.

They only had Durthu. 

What I learned:

-Don't ever extend units assuming you can make the charge

-Ghouls are my best friends

-Varghulfls are key to keeping my boys around

-Spite-Revenants are amazing for camping near objectives and making the opponent roll worse for battleshock.

-Drycha is amazing for what she can do. That many mortal wounds a turn is insane. Target priority #1. 

Overall I had a blast even though it was a single game. I managed to learn a lot and make the necessary changes next time around!

Sorry for the long post but I was proud of what I did! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone,

Got my first 1k list built based off all your advice and I have my first game tonight versus Sylvaneth and was wondering if there are any units I should prioritise. I know the friend has hunters, ancient treelord and dyrads and I was wondering what if any advice can be provided. 

My list - AAR, AKoTG, 20 and a 10 blob of Ghouls, 3 Flayers for summons (all I had time for) and 2 CP in the bank.

@Finklelord maybe you have some feedback as your friend play trees!

@Blisterfeet From my experience playing Sylvaneth, the damage is largely coming out of those bigger guys like Drycha, Treelords, etc. Kurnoths are definitely up there as well, but I often find them to be swingy, particularly with Scythes. At the same time, if they plant themselves they're re-rolling all failed saves on a 4+ which makes them quite tanky at 5 wounds a piece.

The objective game could be difficult depending on what you do, but the GKoTG should have no issues chewing through the bigger guys while the Ghouls potentially handle the Dryads (who aren't all that terrible in combat, by the way). I've largely always played Sylvaneth with a shooting\MW (Skaven) heavy army which presents it's own problems but when those heroes present themselves out of the cover of the woods, it's often over pretty quick.. I would say combat armies have an easier time against them, even if you take damage from charging into the woods.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blisterfeet said:

Hi everyone,

Got my first 1k list built based off all your advice and I have my first game tonight versus Sylvaneth and was wondering if there are any units I should prioritise. I know the friend has hunters, ancient treelord and dyrads and I was wondering what if any advice can be provided. 

My list - AAR, AKoTG, 20 and a 10 blob of Ghouls, 3 Flayers for summons (all I had time for) and 2 CP in the bank.

@Finklelord maybe you have some feedback as your friend play trees!

I hate to admit it, but when I play against my Sylvaneth friend I haven't lost yet. I don't know if it's due to our inexperience or the lack of skill list building. Though here is my two cents about them and my most successful list.

Most successful:

Spoiler

AAR

AAR

GKoTG

10 Ghouls

10 Ghouls

I believe I summoned 40 ghouls and some Flayers to the party, or 20 Ghouls, Varghulf, and Flayers. 

His general list is:

Treelord Ancient

Branchwraith

X Dryads 

X Spite-Revs

3-6 Hunters

Generally I like going second against him so he can come closer. Though if they get first turn they can "move" pretty quick up and around the board with the help of the forests. They can also summon more Dryads each turn (though in forests) and generally help block lanes. 

-Treelords can put a hurt on your guys. They do a really good amount of damage and can make you hit on a -1. I always target him first if I can with the GKoTG and try to finish him off in a single round (not hard with FF and FH). 

-Dryads seem like a pushover but they can hold their ground well with the number of attacks and a ability to hit you easier. Screams and a negative bravery against them will generally delete them off the board or even mass ghouls. 

-Hunters. Only faced the Great Sword Hunters and since the update they can dish out mortal wounds so keep your heroes near by. If they can get into ghouls or go first on your heroes they will do a good amount of damage.

-Drycha can also do a ton of mortal wounds in an AOE and I've seen her take out heroes and key assets before. 

-Though never played against Spite-Revs they don't scare me that much since our Bravery is high

**Keep in mind this is solely based on my experience against my friend and one other person at a tournament**

Edited by Finklelord
  • Like 1

@Finklelord @Gwendar thanks for your advice. Went 1 win 1 loss tonight. Won my first game against Sylvaneth we had a close deployment, I successfully got of misamal shroud on my AKoTG and saw an exposed Drycha and managed to cripple her turn 1. From there I spiralled out of control with objectives and ghoul summons. He admitted he placed his forests poorly and had his tree ancient too far away from the main fight. 

Game 2 I went for a similar plan as he blocked out the main board with forest summons (made him go first due to long deployment) and made only two lanes down the sides for me to attack through. He read my play and ganged up on my AKoTG who went down one flank and killed it turn 2. Once he got his hunters into forests I struggled to engage with the ghouls without taking damage and his reroll saves stopped alot of attacks from my ghouls. This time the Drycha stayed alive until the end and the AoE crippled me over and over and he managed to break the ghoul line and get to my AAR. He just won in the final turn 2 hunters and a 1 wound Drycha Vs a 4 wound Varghulf (summoned). Tabled me turn 4.

Overall I am sure I played game 2 real bad, but I had loads of fun and it's only ever going to be casual level so happy with everything. Thanks again with your advice!!

Now to finish the rest of the army for 2k and paint the remainder of the bigger units.

• Like 3

looking for some quick feedback on a list

based on the recent AOS6Nations FEC lists which all run the Ghoul Patrol to support gristlegore. I like this swap a bit better, as 180 for the battalion feels like a lot.

this is also done under the assumption that being limited to buying 1cp in GHB19 is a fact. (pending confirmation afaik)

the only shortfall I dislike atm is not being able to fit in Chalice. (the 10pts can become a Maelstrom post-ghb19, or claim a triumph)

thoughts?

FECvNEW.pdf

On 6/18/2019 at 6:14 PM, Blisterfeet said:

Now to finish the rest of the army for 2k and paint the remainder of the bigger units.

What are you thinking for 2K? I've been dancing around a couple of ideas, but I am not sold on anything. 

The Sylvaneth forests are something I need to understand more and work around. Generally my army (Flayer heavy) just ignores and flies over them, and until my friend gets more than one forest assembled I doing okay. Keep in mind you only take wounds if you charge or run in the forests (if my memory serves me) so feel free to camp in them as well. 

I also just need more experience playing against something other than Sylvaneth 😂

5 hours ago, Finklelord said:

What are you thinking for 2K? I've been dancing around a couple of ideas, but I am not sold on anything. 

The Sylvaneth forests are something I need to understand more and work around. Generally my army (Flayer heavy) just ignores and flies over them, and until my friend gets more than one forest assembled I doing okay. Keep in mind you only take wounds if you charge or run in the forests (if my memory serves me) so feel free to camp in them as well. 

I also just need more experience playing against something other than Sylvaneth 😂

I was thinking about Ghoul patrol (as I have 30 ghouls already) then an additional 20 for summons and 1 of each leader courtier as I was impressed by Varghulf and like the idea of having flexibility in summons. Then I have a AAR, a AKoTG, and 3 flayers.

Then because rule of cool and they are bringing mercenaries in ghb19. I want to go Necro+20 Skelebobs with swords/shields and a wight with a black axe.

Complimenting this would be 2 endless spells of chalice and maelstrom.

Not aiming for competitive but if all goes well might still head to a big event and jam it.

Need to get familiar with AoS versus 40k which I played before. So this is a long way off. What about you@Finklelord?

26 minutes ago, Blisterfeet said:

Need to get familiar with AoS versus 40k which I played before. So this is a long way off. What about you@Finklelord?

I came from 40K too. I still play but my meta got so stale and I wasn't having fun anymore. 

2K list wise I have been thinking of Deadwatch simply because I love Flayers. That doesn't leave for much left for point though so I am leaning toward Ghouls, one large Flayer squad, and a couple AAR and maybe a GKoTG to flush things out. Is it good? Who knows! 

Leaning towards:

Spoiler

AAR

AAR

Infernal Courtier

Ghast Courtier

40x Ghouls

20x Ghouls

10x Ghouls

9x Flayers

Chalice

Baricade

Ghoul Patrol

2000 on the nose

• LOVE IT! 2

7 hours ago, Blisterfeet said:

Then because rule of cool and they are bringing mercenaries in ghb19. I want to go Necro+20 Skelebobs with swords/shields and a wight with a black axe.

In forbidden power mercenary rules do not allow taking mercs from same GA as main army though

2 hours ago, XReN said:

In forbidden power mercenary rules do not allow taking mercs from same GA as main army though

That's good info I suppose I can just ally them then. Thanks for the heads up though I don't own all the books picking up GHB19 tomorrow. 

Question from this - I have FEC, Rule book and GHB19 tomorrow. Any others I need? 

45 minutes ago, Blisterfeet said:

That's good info I suppose I can just ally them then. Thanks for the heads up though I don't own all the books picking up GHB19 tomorrow. 

Question from this - I have FEC, Rule book and GHB19 tomorrow. Any others I need? 

Not really, everything except Core Book (which is not that necessary) latest General's Handbook and latest Battletome are expantions that brings more options to your game.

Also, unfortunately, you won't be able to ally skelebois or wight king since FEC ally options are limited to Deathlords (Nagash, Mortarchs (except Lady O) Morghasts), Deathmages (Necromancer, Mortis Engine) and Deadwalkers (Zombies, Dire Wolves and Corpse-best-possible-ally-Cart)

3 hours ago, XReN said:

Not really, everything except Core Book (which is not that necessary) latest General's Handbook and latest Battletome are expantions that brings more options to your game.

Also, unfortunately, you won't be able to ally skelebois or wight king since FEC ally options are limited to Deathlords (Nagash, Mortarchs (except Lady O) Morghasts), Deathmages (Necromancer, Mortis Engine) and Deadwalkers (Zombies, Dire Wolves and Corpse-best-possible-ally-Cart)

You see this is why I love this forum!

Thanks @XReN for this as you've saved me wasting/spending money in the future. 

I remember @Honk earlier in the thread saying while a Mortarchs doesn't bring anything (other than additional Magic) to my army I could jam a Arkhan or a Mortis engine/Cart in. 

Shame fancied some Skelebois. Wonder if the other mercs are worth it?!? Again would be model dependent as I don't really care if I am super optimising. 

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Gristlegore

Leaders
Abhorrant Archregent (200)
- Artefact: The Dermal Robe 
- Lore of Madness: Blood Feast
- Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (400)
- General
- Trait: Savage Strike 
- Lore of Madness: Miasmal Shroud
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
- Artefact: Ghurish Mawshard 
- Lore of Madness: Bonestorm
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon (440)
- Lore of Madness: Monstrous Vigour
Abhorrant Ghoul King (140)
Crypt Ghast Courtier (60)

Battleline
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Battalions
Ghoul Patrol (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chalice of Ushoran (40)
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

Total: 2500 / 2500
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 500
Wounds: 106

Whatcha guys think about this list? My group mostly plays 2500 pts. I'm used to going Ghoul heavy or Flayer heavy so this is a first for me. What do you guys think of the choices I made? Is the Zombie dragon's spell worth it on this scale or would I be better off having ANOTHER Terrorgheist? 😂 Also I don't know what to do with so many spellcasters when it comes to spell lore... to be honest most spells are quite bad for this list

Edited by Caspeur

Hey everyone, I've updated my 1500 league game post with my final 2 games where I decide to have some fun and run Menagerie with a GKoTG, 2 TG's and a ZD. Things were interesting in both games.

Also, I've got 2 games up for my Skaven games in the.. blog-lobby? Main blog directory? Anyway, if you're interested in reading those have fun.. though be warned I faced a "that guy" so I vent a bit. Thanks!

42 minutes ago, Honk said:

What bothers you about playing FEC?

To be honest, I just don't love CC armies. I prefer my Magic + shooting ones... which is why Skaven will always be my #1.

I enjoy the playstyle a bit more when running Gristlegore\Feast Day and 2-4 Behemoths, but outside of that I think just playing them non-stop for 2+ months has just been absolutely draining. I played Skaven again yesterday and those 2 games have been infinitely more fun than the past few weeks with FeC.

Not to say I hate them as a whole.. I'll definitely keep playing them. But after this leagues over they're going to be put on the back-burner until I feel like messing with them again. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gwendar said:

But after this leagues over they're going to be put on the back-burner until I feel like messing with them again. 

I can totally understand that... there are only so many „different“ Styles playing FEC, that’s why I got the Legions of Nagash and Azghor ready for deployment  🤘😈👍

5 hours ago, Honk said:

Azghor

Man... I really, really want that to be my next choice as I want my 3rd army (now that I've downsized from 5 to 2) to be a full-on shooting army. I just can't justify the price unfortunately.. especially with FW items getting finnicky updates. I'm holding out that Tom Lyons sources are correct and that TK will comeback soon as an low model count elite army with heavy emphasis on shooting... which to me says that it will likely just consist of Constructs like Ushasbti, Sphinxes, etc.

But yeah, that's largely it... With Skaven I can build them combat heavy, magic heavy, shooting heavy or a mix and the magic\shooting mix suites me the best as I like to play careful and defensive... and well, I just can't do that with an army that want's to get into everyone's face ASAP.

• Thanks 1

Anyone messed with meeting engagements yet? Our next tourney will be with meeting engagements instead of the standard 2k's that we normally do. I was thinking of running FeC as my Skaven don't work quite as well with the format. Not being required to bring 2 battleline (only need 1 battleline in the Main Body) like standard 1k helps to squeeze a bit more in.

List:

Spoiler

- Grand Court: Court of Delusion - The Feast Day

Spearhead
- General
- Trait: Dark Wizardy 

Main Body
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Rearguard
Royal Terrorgheist (300)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 45

6 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Anyone messed with meeting engagements yet? Our next tourney will be with meeting engagements instead of the standard 2k's that we normally do. I was thinking of running FeC as my Skaven don't work quite as well with the format. Not being required to bring 2 battleline (only need 1 battleline in the Main Body) like standard 1k helps to squeeze a bit more in.

List:

Hide contents

- Grand Court: Court of Delusion - The Feast Day

Spearhead
- General
- Trait: Dark Wizardy 

Main Body
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Rearguard
Royal Terrorgheist (300)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 45

I am planning to try the below. I think chalice will be really good, and I like having the opportunity to propel the horrors forward to contest objectives early. I'm not certain it is better than just having another big bad, but I suspect it will be and it is what I'm going with. 

S: AAR (same set up but with Deranged Trans) + 3 x horrors

M: AGKOTG (same setup) + 10 ghouls

R: 10 ghouls

+ Chalice

@ByronicHero Chalice could be, but I feel that with the battleline limitations of Meeting Engagements, I don't see many player's (including us) bringing enough bodies for the Chalice to be properly worth it... at least as far as my meta is concerned, though they could help with the DoK players around here since they don't have too many more options. I picked a heavier-handed list to hit harder throughout the game as needed. That said, if you want to bring a more Elite list with Knights you probably have enough points leftover to throw it in there in most cases.