AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

3 hours ago, Masake said:

Good luck on your game!

Thanks for the advice!

I think I will probably go with list 2 per the suggestion.. I could proxy the ZD as a TG for list 1 but I don't really want to do that in the league. At 1500 I will have a bit more leeway to do something like that. Hopefully a FLGS has some Flayers available as I need another 1-2 boxes by next week. Hopefully not starting with a CP won't be too much of a hindrance, which was partly why I wanted to try Blisterskin.. but I think I'm just underestimating the innate return that Feast Day ends up giving you. Especially when you can do it for free once in each combat phase.

So, I am still yet to ever lose a game of AOS, lol. I have played various scenarios, armies and points totals (but  relevantly, all fairly low) and just seem to make it work - no doubt at least as much by luck as by skill. I actually look forward to getting stomped soon, as it has to happen eventually. 

I am also yet to make any kind of decent use of the endless spells and am pretty convinced that giving the AAR +2 to casts and unbinds is correct anyway. Getting the extra attacks consistently into the TG or a pack of horrors is just too valuable. Might experiment with the Stampede next game for fun, or just take the extra CP for more double attacks. 

I have been taking blood feast on the AAR, but I think I will take deranged transformation instead to propel the horrors as I rarely get to use it. I've been doing this with the TG but generally I always want to be casting his spell so the opportunity cost is too high. 

On another note, I know my next army will be one of the ones with more unit diversity as the limited FEC options are pretty disappointing with regards to long-term collecting. I enjoy my army, but there is nothing left for me to do to it that excites me now, which is a shame. I have a ZD to paint and then I think I'm done. 

Good luck to everyone with your upcoming games :)

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Thanks for the advice!

I think I will probably go with list 2 per the suggestion.. I could proxy the ZD as a TG for list 1 but I don't really want to do that in the league. At 1500 I will have a bit more leeway to do something like that. Hopefully a FLGS has some Flayers available as I need another 1-2 boxes by next week. Hopefully not starting with a CP won't be too much of a hindrance, which was partly why I wanted to try Blisterskin.. but I think I'm just underestimating the innate return that Feast Day ends up giving you. Especially when you can do it for free once in each combat phase.

For low points games - we have a bunch of problems using Grand Courts. It is hard to spare points to start with extra CPs, its hard to make full combos (Like Blister teleporting 9 Flayers units with 1CP plus buffs and bunch of other things) and it is hard to fit Battalion to give us extra CP - BUT MOST IMPORTANT IN THIS CASE - the extra artefact.

Having a good artefact on your GKoTG in a list where you will bring 1 - is very important. Grand Courts lock us in this regard, so I'd only use it if I can bring Battalion.

Besides this, even at 2000pts, I still think FEAST DAY is a power house! If we try to convert those 10 Free CPs it give us, we are talking about "500pts" free of charge. 

FEAST DAY EVERYDAY!

• Like 2

So, I have done a lot of lurking and some commenting on here, but have not actually played a game of AOS yet.  That's about to change, my first games will be played at a 1250 pts tourney this weekend (no worries, I love 'trial by fire' and have played 40k for a few years and I've also been reading a lot).

Here's my list, I will let you know how it goes.  I have 2x Varghulf Courtiers to summon, no other options, as it has taken all my spare time to build and paint this:

1200/1250 points

Delusion:  Feast Day

LEADERS
Abhorrant Archregent (200)
- General
- Command Trait : Dark Wizardry
- Artefact : The Dermal Robe
- Lore of Madness : Spectral Host
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon (440)
- Lore of Madness : Blood Feast
- Mount Trait : Razor-clawed

UNITS
6 x Crypt Horrors (320)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Chalice of Ushoran (40)

For spell choice, I went with Spectral Host for my ZD and 2x Varghulfs (summoned), could also be good with Horrors sometimes - at first I was going to use Deranged Transformation but it's only good with Horrors in this list and wouldn't be useful if they are focused down.  Blood Feast's range is fine because I'm nosediving the ZD into everything anyway.  In lieu of ZD having an artefact, I thought Razor-Clawed might be sufficient.

Edited by Aleister

Hi, to everyone !

What you think about this roster:
AHTOXA - Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts - Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Court: Court of Delusion - The Feast Day
LEADERS
Crypt Infernal Courtier (120)
- General
- Command Trait : Dark Acolyte
- Artefact : The Dermal Robe
- Lore of MadVarghulfsness : Blood Feast - Mount Trait : Necrotic Fangs
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (400)
- Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm - Lore of Madness : Blood Feast - Mount Trait : Gruesome Bite
UNITS
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170) BATTALIONS Deadwatch (110) ENDLESS SPELLS Chronomantic Cogs (60) Chalice of Ushoran (40)
     TOTAL: 1880/2000     EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 3       WOUNDS: 77

For summoning I have two choices:

1. Varghulf, 20 ghouls, 3 Flayers

2. 2x3 Flayers, Infernal courtier.

Tactic is simple - use TG as 1st strike power under rerolls of wound (ZD), +d3 Attacks (AR), +1Attack (Dark Acolyte) and rerolls of saves from Cogs. Like support (killing rest of unit) for TG will use ZD. Flayers will take the objectives.

Chalice of Ushoran for ghouls, or for flanking Flayers, or for healing ZD/TG for second round. But maybe better one more extra CP.

What you think about drop choices? Is 4 enough, or need Royal Blood battalion for 2  drop choices?

Edited by AHTOXA

@Masake I think I would agree after today's game alone and I love having Grpyh-Feather on the GKoTG, especially if he manages to get off UV on himself. I don't know that I will try out Blisterskin until at least 1500.

Speaking of today's game, now that it's 1k week for my league I will be doing batreps and posting them in my blog below. Have a few more games lined over this weekend and I'll report back once it's updated. Thanks everyone!

Edited by Gwendar

7 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

@Masake I think I would agree after today's game alone and I love having Grpyh-Feather on the GKoTG, especially if he manages to get off UV on himself. I don't know that I will try out Blisterskin until at least 1500.

Speaking of today's game, now that it's 1k week for my league I will be doing batreps and posting them in my blog below. Have a few more games lined over this weekend and I'll report back once it's updated. Thanks everyone!

Awesome news... Great that you manage to win.

Read your report and, if Chalice was not unbound, GKoTG would be even more Tankier.

Chalice, Miasmal e Gryph-Feather was what made me win against a Gristlegore FEC and IDeepkin in my last games of the tournament.

For me, I'd not go Blisterskin until 2000pts... and I still think Feast Day would be amazing for 2000 as well.

Keep us updated, and good luck!

• Thanks 1

I've got the last 10% of a list I'm trying to narrow down, thought I'd put some feelers out for ideas.

The "fixed" part of the list is this 1800 points (using Feast Day):

• Archregent (+2 to cast)
  • AGK on TG (D6 heal chalice)
  • AGK on TG
  • Ghast Courtier
  • 40 Ghouls
  • 10 Ghouls
  • 10 Ghouls
  • Ghoul Patrol

For the last 200 points, I've tried a couple things, all of them just OK so far, and I'm just looking for any ideas.

I've tried a second Archregent (wasn't super happy with it, but that might be just because I only have one Varghulf - if I had 2, I'd love summoning 2 for free), and I've tried an AGK on foot plus 1 CP, which was OK but I almost don't need the CP with Feast Day.  Maybe a spell for the 60 points after the AGK?

Had my final 1k games this week for a total of 3. Batreps are up on the blog.

TLDR; Fyreslayers are frightening, but so is my inability to cast Chalice to support the GKoTG that I keep sending in alone. Now who's fault is that?

• Haha 1

Curious question folks, how does the Gristlegore ability Peerless Ferocity interact with Gaping Maw for TGs?

If I roll a 6 to hit with the Maw, does it count as 2 hits, resulting in 12 mortal wounds?? Or do I get my 6 mortal wounds, then roll to wound / D6 damage for the additional hit?

unknown.pngunknown.png

Edited by Keggers

6 hours ago, Gwendar said:

my inability to cast Chalice to support the GKoTG that I keep sending in alone

He also has his stupid extra extra save, how much more does he need to do his single easy one job?!? 

(wiping out the enemy)

i hope Gdubs finally gets his points right, like around 250 is what he performs for me.

XD

2 hours ago, Honk said:

He also has his stupid extra extra save, how much more does he need to do his single easy one job?!? 

(wiping out the enemy)

i hope Gdubs finally gets his points right, like around 250 is what he performs for me.

XD

Ha, see I can roll my extra saves for my Verminlords super well... here though? Nah. I suppose it's my Skaven dice just being fickle since I'm playing FeC.

It still wipes out units, but I don't think I'm used to having such a strong combat unit so I get a bit over-confident with it.. and then it ends up getting killed by a bunch of angry gingers. I am curious to see how it changes in terms of points.. I have enough built for Menagerie, but I think I may build into Deadwatch + GKoZD & TG for 2k and see where it takes me.

• LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Had my final 1k games this week for a total of 3. Batreps are up on the blog.

TLDR; Fyreslayers are frightening, but so is my inability to cast Chalice to support the GKoTG that I keep sending in alone. Now who's fault is that?

Nice report, glad that even struggling you managed to win.

My advice, usually is better to go 2nd - unless you can "snipe/one shot kill" some ultra high valuable unit for your opponent list. That way you don't waste movement and you can see your opponent first move and counter it, besides this you have the opportunity for double turn to finish him off.

Other thing, do not always go all in with GKoTG - he is a beast but not immortal. Sometimes is better to play it safe and wait for a better turn with better buffs on him.

Try to screen him if needed, and wait for your opponent to engage on the screen so you can Counter attack with the GKoTG behind it.

Try to use arcane terrains to help you cast better - I always try to "glue" my Archregent on one of this kind (paired with his artefact for +1 Cast) I am pretty reliable in casting stuff.

That's all ... It is not easy giving advice without seeing the game. Sometimes I may be writing something that you already did... So I apologise if I'm repeating something that you already know.

Like always, good luck on your games!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Masake said:

Nice report, glad that even struggling you managed to win.

My advice, usually is better to go 2nd - unless you can "snipe/one shot kill" some ultra high valuable unit for your opponent list. That way you don't waste movement and you can see your opponent first move and counter it, besides this you have the opportunity for double turn to finish him off.

Other thing, do not always go all in with GKoTG - he is a beast but not immortal. Sometimes is better to play it safe and wait for a better turn with better buffs on him.

Try to screen him if needed, and wait for your opponent to engage on the screen so you can Counter attack with the GKoTG behind it.

Try to use arcane terrains to help you cast better - I always try to "glue" my Archregent on one of this kind (paired with his artefact for +1 Cast) I am pretty reliable in casting stuff.

That's all ... It is not easy giving advice without seeing the game. Sometimes I may be writing something that you already did... So I apologise if I'm repeating something that you already know.

Like always, good luck on your games!

Thanks! See, I normally deploy safely and go 2nd in every list\army I play.. but after what I did to Seraphon, I thought I could potentially do the same T1 shenanigans with little fear of retaliation with Fyreslayers if I had some good rolls but..sadly I did not. I also knew that the Fyreslayers could easily get off a T1 charge themselves with how I deployed so I opted to strike first to my detriment. I've learned to give it up with the lone-bat tactics, but I was confident that the Bloodthirster wouldn't kill it even if he won priority in my 3rd game so I went a bit more aggressive.

Fyreslayers are the only real army in this league that can get in those T1 charges, and in that regard I'll likely just deploy further back as I pre-measure everything anyway.. as for terrain features, we seldom (if ever) play with them aside from the features that the army specific terrain inherently gets. I find most are useless a lot of the time aside from Arcane anyway.

Hey no worries, I always appreciate everyone's input.. I only have 9 games under my belt at various points levels so I've still a bit to learn with them and if anyone sees anything I could be doing better I would love to hear about it.

Edited by Gwendar

What is everyone’s thoughts on this Feast Day list? I tried it out yesterday and was pleased with how the crypt horrors performed. I also enjoyed the magical domination provided by the Archregent .

Royal - Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Court of Delusion - The Feast Day
LEADERS
- General
- Command Trait : Dark Wizardy - Artefact : The Dermal Robe
- Lore of Madness : Monstrous Vigour - Mount Trait : Death from The Skies
 Varghulf Courtier (160)

Crypt Haunter Courtier (120)

UNITS
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
6 x Crypt Flayers (340)
6 x Crypt Horrors (320

) BATTALIONS
Royal Mordants (120)
TOTAL: 2000/2000
EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1
WOUNDS: 113
   LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 5 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4 ARTEFACTS: 1/2 ALLIES: 0/400

• Like 1

@Marthen I like it honestly, not that my opinion means much. Light bodies for objectives (unless you summon in 20 more from the AA) will be sketchy on some battleplans unless you can run everything else ahead and keep your opponents pushed back. I think if it were me I would run a TG over ZD simply because starting with 2 Courtiers seems good enough and having more Flayers\Horrors seems better in the long run as 2 Courtiers should provide enough model return to the Flayers\Horrors. That way you could even throw in a Chalice for some additional support.

I've really been up in the air about building some Horrors but..I think I'm too far in with Flayers at this point. I've wondered about how a list heavily mixing the two would work out and I have 2 unbuilt boxes so.. who knows. Someone talk me out of it...

..or don't.

5 minutes ago, Honk said:

Said it before:

tried to magnetize, now I have a squad of „abaddon the armless“...

proxying was easy but my opponents tend to hurt my feelings with: if they have wings they fly, if not they don’t?!

Gladly that my local club , and community, is very kindly in regards those situations... As long you are not using to confuse your opponent and get some advantage.

That is the reason I gave up on magnetizing them and went all Flyers (rarely play Horror)... But knowing if needed I can play without my opponent getting salty.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Honk said:

Said it before:

tried to magnetize, now I have a squad of „abaddon the armless“...

proxying was easy but my opponents tend to hurt my feelings with: if they have wings they fly, if not they don’t?!

Oh yeah, I was absolutely not going to even attempt to magnetize them, as much as I would've liked to. 

I'm in the same boat as @Masake though... no-one really cares around here as far as I know but there may be 1-2 outliers.. at the very least I don't think they would appreciate them being ran different every other game.

• Haha 2

Spoiler

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts - Grand Court: Gristlegore

LEADERS

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (400) - General - Command Trait : Savage Strike - Artefact : Ghurish Mawshard - Mount Trait : Gruesome Bite

Abhorrant Archregent (200) - Artefact : The Dermal Robe - Lore of Madness : Spectral Host

Abhorrant Archregent (200) - Lore of Madness : Spectral Host

BATTLELINE:

Royal Terrorgheist (300) 

Royal Terrorgheist (300) 

Royal Zombie Dragon (300) 

BATTALIONS

Royal Menagerie (120)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Chalice of Ushoran (40)

TOTAL: 1920/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2 WOUNDS: 70

Tournament report.

This was my first tournament. 

Round one was BLOOD AND GLORY battle plan in realm of CHAMON with Steel Rain.

Played vs NIghthaunt

Turn One: I have not played much AOS, so I’ve never played against Nighthaunt.  I gave her first turn since I felt she couldn’t do much.  Mistake maybe? She tried to deep strike her guys on my way left flank on one of my dragons instead of my open arch reagents in the middle and missed all but one charge with a 10.  Then I learned that they can attack twice if they get 10+ which seems awesome.  Anyways she didn’t do much I shrugged some wound after two attacks than fought back and destroyed the unit with 6’s.         My turn one I moved all around her deep strikes and deployed some flayers and ghouls.  Got her general and Oylander and a couple more units.                     The rest of the game as clean up since no general and heroes pretty much. Ended turn 4 with all objectives taken and all her army minus a big model that I avoided the whole time. I WON MAJOR

Round Two was SHIFTING OBJECTIVES in the realm of AQSHY with Flaming Missiles

Played vs Khorne

Turn one I lost turn since his whole list was 3 battalions and went first.  I really didn’t know what to do, so I missed cogs, tried to get to Objectives with 40 ghouls on the Left side and set up for next turn. Got 5 Points. His turn he got his team on the 3 point Objective and took out a unit of 20 ghouls. And won the Objective. Didn’t do much else.                                 Won turn two. I got my dragons to his back line and killed all priests and another hero and a couple of units of bloodthirsters. The Objective didn’t shift so I got 2 points to 7. He then flew over with his bloodthirster and claimed middle Objective, since I moved out of Objective 6” and one shot a dragon. But I command pointed fight back to take most his health out.  And he moved to the other objective and got all 3 getting 5 points to 8.             Turn 3 was me being bound up with is army so I couldn’t get into Objectives but killing his bloodthirster and some more units. His turn 3 was Blood pointing a Bloodthirster charging in and whiffing than me killing him back but still holding me there for a turn.                        Turn 4 and 5 was clean up BUT he kept getting the objectives. So since he held them all for turn 3 and 4 he got 18 points for my 15 at the end.  I learned a lot from this game on how I shouldn’t over extend.  This guy was the nicest person to and was a very skilled about all the rules and strategies.  I LOST.

Round 3 was THE SHROUDED STORMVAULT in the realm of ULGU.

Played vs Chaos

This list seemed awesome. He has 5 spell casters a bunch of endless spells. 80 clan rats.  Just was interesting.

I went first and missed cogs, tried to still get there but missed.  I also missed my beacons turning on with my alone arch reagent which was a bummer.  Got one point.         His turn was binding up my general since he didn’t get to do anything the round before since he did a thing where he wrote down a name and for that turn had to roll a 4+ to do anything. Than on his turn Lightning and Shackles it.  I thought I was done he got in and almost got a dragon.  1 to 2 points.  Turn two I lost the round and he went first. He killed the almost dead dragon in the shooting phase so I couldn’t attack back. They tried to fight my other dragon and I Killed one big guy.   I forgot to turn on my beacon and also forgot to summon again. 2 to 4 points.          I won turn 3 and went first.  I got my general out of them mess, summoned the flayers behind the clan rats. Cast Chalice in the center of the battle and got so So SO many points on it.  Flayers and dragons Screamed at the clan rats and another shooting unit.  Dragons charged and killed his general and the other big guys, healed up, and got ready to move turn 4.  His turn was moving his other 40 clan rats and his Bell thing toward my alone arch reagent who missed the lantern again.  4 to 5 points.                      Turn 4 I won roll and went first.  Tried to run and cast but because of bad rolling and playing, failed everything so I got on the 5th point and only the flayers to hold them from bringing in to the center.  His turn he killed my Arch reagent and turn on the beacon which activated the center.  10 to 7.                Turn 5 I won turn and since he couldn’t do anything he surrendered.  I WONT MAJOR.

I ended up getting BEST GENERAL AWARD with the most battle points.

I learned a lot and also loved playing.  I mostly like painting and play when I can, but this was great.  I want to play more and MORE. 

What do people do with Arch reagents? I would just have them behind the throne until coast was clear than they would try to run to do something but felt blah.  Is there anything I should do to get them into combat sometimes?

Is the Zombie dragon good at all? I feel that I always wanted a Terrorgheist.  But he did snipe some Chaos daemons which was nice since the scream didn’t affect them. 

OK Thanks for reading, I’m new to this site but have been reading for a couple of months. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1