AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

24 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

Yeah, been thinking about this. But GKoZD’s spell is way better. Hmm.

Yeah for a large blob like the 40+ ghouls the 5+ ignore is just amazing. Also if you have the bravery debuff garland your shrieks are going to tear his brutes apart. I play IJ as well and bravery 6 is so bad on brutes. 

1 hour ago, Reuben Parker said:

play IJ as well and bravery 6 is so bad on brutes.

Maybe ally in some black knights  for another -1 bravery ?

never really had luck against IJ with my FEC, brutes too brutal, rolls to bad, they tend to mince my monsters before they do stuff. Ghoulgrind on the other hand, Black hunger with rerolling 1... and a bunch of ghasts 

6 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

am I being a massive nobber

Maybe... but here is how I think it works

after your done refilling your units with your courtiers, you add extra models from the battalion. This might push the unit size over the currently existing limit and set a new max for that unit...

for example: got a unit of 20 ghouls, they loose like 5 models during a round so... 15/20. start of your hero phase. Your crypt ghast rolls and calls back !6! models. Bringing the unit back to full strength, 20/20.

the last model (no6) is void, cause of unit size.

Then you trigger the battalion ability ?drawn to battle? (German book ?) since it just says „during“ herophase, NOT „at the beginning of“ and roll a dice adding 4 models...now having a 24/24 unit....

during your turn loosing 4...20/24...then another 3 during opponents turn...17/24... in your herophase the ghast calls 5...22/24

then adding only 1 through the battalion... 23/24, not raising the unit size or roll a 6 like a boss to boost them up to 29/29

56 minutes ago, The Nameless One said:

Question re. Majestic Horror. I initially read it that your general can summon twice, in the same hero phase, once per battle? Is that how others are playing it?

Your General can double summon anytime he uses his Command Ability. He only has a one time use summon, but combine with Royal Family battalion for another ability

Turn 1

GkoZD with Majestic Horror

2 x Varghulf (1 CP)

2 x Ghoul King (1 CP)

• Like 2

Out of interest what are people’s fav endless spells to pair with FEC (excluding cogs as every melee army jumps on them it seems)  

Im thinking maybe in my next list going leadership bomb with gravetide and jaws on top of the garland. Perfect world I’m hitting multiple units with -4 bravery. 

Also I was thinking often FEC want to play a game of attrition so having gravetide, palisade and soul shackles as a group to restrict space and slow down the opponent could be a nice set. I’m looking  into them as nearly all of my lists are based around royal family so having 5 wizards but only 2 good spells on scrolls. 

Depending on the list and opponent, I think your choices are quite solid.

area denial, shooting protection  and movement restricting. Palisade, gravetide and shackles. 

But if you’re looking for something more direct, I do not possess it, but the pendulum sounds like it could leave a mark. 

I've got a 1000 point tournament coming up soon. Wondering what people's opinions on this list are?

Realm: Shyish

Ghoul King on Terrorgheist
- General
- Delusion: Crusading Army
- Trait: Majestic Horror
- Artefact: The Flayed Pennant

Crypt-ghast Courtier
- Sepulchral Plate

Ghouls x10

Ghouls x10

Ghouls x10

Ghoul Patrol

Soulsnare Shackles
Malevolent Maelstrom

Total points: 1000

Turn one summon two units of Crypt Horrors near the King, then use the Pennant to try get them into combat. Probably start all 3 units of Ghouls on the board, to be able to start adding extra models in straight away.

1 hour ago, warhammernerd said:

Erm? Don’t think it does. Proof pls ?

The proof has to go the other way.  We are told that we can go over starting size.  Full stop.  We are not told to stop at the  maximum number you are allowed to include in a unit you buy with points at army creation.  We are not told "if you have 40, you can't add more".  Just that we can add more than we had before.

In the whole rest of the game, the largest unit you are allowed to start with is functionally equivalent to the largest your unit can be, because you can't go beyond the starting size.  But that limit in the pitched battle profile isn't the largest a unit can be - it's the largest you can buy.

• Like 1

There is a thing called maximum unit size and the definition of maximum is kinda like „can’t have more“. 

You might start to argue, that it is  not specifically forbidden, and no explicit rules limit the unit size „after“ spending points for it, the warscroll only states minimum sizes.

I won’t play that way, but you do you...

13 hours ago, The Nameless One said:

17 hours ago, warhammernerd said:

Erm? Don’t think it does. Proof pls ?

Is this what you’re looking for?

No, it is clear, that you can add over the starting size.

the question is:

IS THERE A MAX. UNIT SIZE?

the warscrolls say can have any number but the minimum is x (ghouls 10)

pitched battle profiles do provide a maximum number of models for units (ghouls 40)

does the ghoul patrol allow you to bump your unit over that limit?! 

Some say yes, why not?

I say no, max unit size from pb profile applies...

official ruling not out there 

• Like 2

I tried this list last week against a friend's Blades of Khorne.  It didn't work nearly as well as I thought; his units easily mulched through everything other than the 30 ghouls (which I kept bringing back due to 2x Ghast Courtiers and sometimes a Varghulf bringing the slain back):

Delusion: Crusading Army

Ghoul King on Terrogheist
- General
- Dark Wizardry
- The Grim Garland
Crypt Haunter Courtier
Varghulf Courtier
- The Flayed Pennant
Crypt Ghast Courtier
Crypt Ghast Courtier
30x Crypt Ghouls
10x Crypt Ghouls
10x Crypt Ghouls
6x Crypt Horrors
3x Crypt Horrors
Attendants At Court

He took a Murderhost (like 30 bloodletters and 2x5 hounds and Skulltaker) and  Brass Stampede (3x3 Skullcrushers and Juggerlord) with a couple heroes so moved across the board really fast (was able to charge turn 1).  I wasn't doing too bad on attrition but conceded top of 4 after he got 8 blood tithe points to summon a Bloodthirster.  I did really enjoy being able to summon two units of Horrors on a flank though.

The biggest problem for me is still that everything in the army hits pretty weak, and has such poor saves that they die to a stiff breeze.  I'm thinking the 2x10 ghouls was a mistake, as they didn't do anything but provide free tithes to my opponent.

Edited by wayniac
  • Sad 1

each unit is assigned a points value and a minimum and maximum unit size. i am allowed to to field a unit in understrength (GHB18, page 62). massive regiments describes the maximum number of models per unit i am able to buy (GHB18, page 62). the FEC FAQ clearly states: " [..] Can I use the ability to take a unit above its starting strength? A: Yes." (official designers' commentary, july 2018)

so if i add D6 to my 40 model crypt ghouls unit in my ghoul patrol, i'm putting them above starting strengh. that's what the FAQ states - it's allowed.

Edited by Fluttershy
  • Like 1

Similar to previous impressions of the Ghoul Patrol, it seems perfectly fine to go above 40. Granted I'm not sure why you would as at 40 they already become unwieldy and are difficult enough as is to benefit from the Dealthless Minions rule.

Edited by Hamartia

I think since they can go over the starting size, 20 might be the ideal size for Ghoul Patrol if they aren't going to be in enemy territory; that should give you at least one turn of adding a few more ghouls to it and thus alleviate the biggest issue with 20 ghouls: at exactly 20 if you lose one you also lose Battalion Strength.

How are people playing the "Skewering Strike" ability for Crypt Flayers?  Subject to modifiers or natural 6's for mortals. The wording isn't great on the warscroll.

Just noticed the posts on page 4. Looks like a Natural 6 then.

Edited by Furious Robert
Edit for info on page 4.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Furious Robert said:

How are people playing the "Skewering Strike" ability for Crypt Flayers?  Subject to modifiers or natural 6's for mortals. The wording isn't great on the warscroll.

they are using "6 or more" (like the Gaping Maw ability of the TG) for "6+"

and "roll of 6" for "unmodified roll" in the FEC Battletome

they are inflicting mortal wounds on unmodified hit rolls of 6

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fluttershy said:

they are using "6 or more" (like the Gaping Maw ability of the TG) for "6+"

and "roll of 6" for "unmodified roll" in the FEC Battletome

they are inflicting mortal wounds on unmodified hit rolls of 6

it was mentioned in an earlier faq that "a roll of 6" means "a roll of 6 or more", so it uses the modified roll. only if the rule started "unmodified roll" it triggers on unmodified. I'll try to find the exact faq