AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

3 hours ago, scrollbuilderdude said:

I used Feast Day this weekend at Adepticon and loved it. Granted I don't run a lot of flayers, I played ghoul patrol and I summoned on mostly horrors. Feast day with two GKs on TG is pretty amazing. Ended up 4-1!

Well I know it has merits in most lists, but I'm talking strictly being used in regards to a full flayer\deadwatch list using ~18 Flayers compared to use Blisterskin. Nice to see you do well at Adepticon though, hope to give it a shot next year with Skaven.

10 hours ago, Honk said:

Is it really still worth it?!

Yep, Patrol is still good if you don't/can't bring other battleline options. I even used 40/40/10 Patrol in Gristlegore list, went 2-1 on local tournament losing only to LoN list with Nagash who dusted my general and was a winner of said tournament.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gdead909 said:

Big issue you have with Deadwatch not being in the blisterskin court is flayers arent battleline. So now your making the infernal the general.  Also the traits for courtiers are not as good as the ghoul kings

I suppose so, and the forced artifact would be better to have than the Aetherquartz that I would inevitably take anyway. I'm sure I'll give both a shot and see how they play out.

Hello,

I recently posted about buying my first AOS models (and first GW models at all for about 15 years). I will be having my first game on Tuesday to learn and after that joining an AOS league which will use 1200 points. I have thus been theory crafting an army to use initially without having to buy and paint too many more models. I bought two SC boxes of FEC and intend to buy a Vargulf and 20 serfs for summoning. The Archregent I hope to be able to create somehow from the GK model in the second SC box, maybe with some flayer wings as arms (haha). Anyway, the below is with blisterskin. Aside from needing to split the ghouls into two units, am I missing anything obvious? Horrors over flayers is just because I like the idea of them more. It looks like I might have one too many artefacts? I am not really completely sure of the rules but will buy the book on Tues. 

image.png.338edf4ea6a81e1f5d151fe93f3e8d01.png

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ByronicHero said:

the below is with blisterskin. 

Well, you don’t have the book yet, but with that list, I don’t know why you would want to go for blisterskin... 

i would suggest a feast day, with almost any trait (imo except delusional) and the grim garland on the gheist.

split the ghouls, summon in a varghulf, mince everything with the gkotg...

(of your local meta is very into the alpha strike, you might even think about gristlegore)

Edited by Honk

8 hours ago, Gwendar said:

is it really necessary to take along?

I had it with me on a 6-6 flayer feast day and positioned it wrong. My intended mosh pit in the middle didn’t open up, so to speak, and the battle was fought on the flanks...

the trouble for me was, I had a regent and an gkotg as casters, had to go first and was kinda trying to position myself for 2. round charge, all the while  protecting my units from a Khorne Alpha... good thing I didn’t get doubled

so the first round was the only one, when I had spare casting attempts to place the chalice.  After that the gkotg was committed and unholy vitality was on him and the regent was casting ferocious hunger and repositioning the rest of my forces through spirit host...

so if you have the points, and the casting attempts it is pretty good as a support and extra healing for our squishy but shiny warriors. If you’re able to place it where the fight is happening. Against magic depending lists like Nagash, tzeentch, lords of sacrament, they will just dispel it, but otherwise it can be great.

even if your opponent then decides to split his forces and fight on the flanks, to negate your stupid chalice, your high mobility units are way faster to reposition and take his army apart... so not the intended use, but useful nonetheless 

Edited by Honk
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Honk said:

Well, you don’t have the book yet, but with that list, I don’t know why you would want to go for blisterskin... 

i would suggest a feast day, with almost any trait (imo except delusional) and the grim garland on the gheist.

split the ghouls, summon in a varghulf, mince everything with the gkotg...

(of your local meta is very into the alpha strike, you might even think about gristlegore)

Thanks for the feedback.

So,  something like the below using Courts of Delusion = The Feast Day and summoning in a Vargulf and 20 dudes with my leaders. The Feast Day seems very sweet. 

Would chalice be better than cogs? I saw a lot of people using cogs for movement but with a lot of 1 wound guys in the army eventually I wonder if chalice would see better use?

image.png.b0f81b74bb3e9b3930bde5126798ac54.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ByronicHero said:

Would chalice be better than cogs?

YES!!! NO!!! Yo?! Nes?! Maybe...

Summoning a lot 9“ away from enemy?! That charge will be easier with the extra +2“... Messing up the 3“?! Never... Going to alpha your opponents gun line?! Those extra 4“ are needed...

fighting against other charging armies?! Going for the ghoulgrind?! Need extra healing for your monsters, gkotg?! That 24“ bubble of healing can boost your regeneration a lot ...

2 hours ago, ByronicHero said:

summoning in a Vargulf and 20 dudes with my leaders.

A varghulf and 3 knights... gkotg summons only 3 knights, gkozd only 1 courtier, gk only 10serfs and the AAR 1/3/20 respectively.

try out what you feel most comfortable with

58 minutes ago, Honk said:

YES!!! NO!!! Yo?! Nes?! Maybe...

Summoning a lot 9“ away from enemy?! That charge will be easier with the extra +2“... Messing up the 3“?! Never... Going to alpha your opponents gun line?! Those extra 4“ are needed...

fighting against other charging armies?! Going for the ghoulgrind?! Need extra healing for your monsters, gkotg?! That 24“ bubble of healing can boost your regeneration a lot ...

A varghulf and 3 knights... gkotg summons only 3 knights, gkozd only 1 courtier, gk only 10serfs and the AAR 1/3/20 respectively.

try out what you feel most comfortable with

I suppose I will need to see how I play to decide which one I want. I can always proxy while I am learning, I doubt anyone would care too much. I think I will probably grab the Malign Sorcery box first so I suppose that is indicative. 

Ah right, yes Varg and 3 knights. My plan was to have the AAR summon the Varg right away to sit with the horrors and hold the second unit for when it is needed. I suppose I would be better off going for flayers in that case to try and grab quick objective points. Ideally I would have all the options of course, but I am not sure how quickly I can find the time to glue and paint it all. No rush. 

Thanks for the help. I really need to set myself a budget before I get too carried away. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Honk said:

so if you have the points, and the casting attempts it is pretty good as a support and extra healing for our squishy but shiny warriors. 

I definitely would be using 2 AR's, but I would need to go something like 9-6-3 or drop an Infernal Courtier to do it. I thought about going with 1 AR, 1 Courtier and a GKoTG along with 9-6-3, but I'm not sure if he's worth it over doubling up on the other 2 and going 9-6-6\3. But hey, maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on the unit of 9 and should just be going 6-6-6?

Anyway, as I've said before I'm sure this will all just have to be experimented on over a few games to see how each works out. I already have a 3 TG + ZD gristlegore list in the works, but wanted to get started on a Deadwatch list at some point as well. Thanks for the advice.

Greetings my fellow deranged cannibals, 

I have a private "tournament" with a couple of friends later this year and I am right now choosing what to play.

FEC would be one option and I am tinkering with lists a bit right now, with the latest one being this:

Grand Court: Hollowmourne

Heroes:

Abhorrant Ghoul King on TG (General) / Grave Robber / Corpsefane Gauntlet / Gruesome Bite - 400

Abhorrant Archregent (The Dermal Robe) - 200

Crypt Haunter Courtier - 120

Varghulf Courtier - 160

Battleline:

Crypt Horrors x 6 - 320

Crypt Horrors x 6 - 320

Crypt Ghouls x 30  - 300

Battalion:

Abattoir - 120 

I would like to use my summoning to summon 6 more Horrors, to really clobber everything to death with my bone Clubs 😉

The Ghouls I would like to use for Screening, as I ecpect some really nasty charges from my opponents.

My problem is that I have ZERO FEC games under my belt, so I would like to get some feedback from more experienced marrow-gnawers about this list, especially if Hollowmourne is at least decent or if it would make more sense to make the Haunter Courtier General, to keep the Horrors Battleline.

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by Craze
  • LOVE IT! 1

11 hours ago, Craze said:

or if it would make more sense to make the Haunter Courtier General,

Might be a good idea, as for hollowmourne... feast day delusion (I think)

going all horrors is tricky against high save opponents, since they don’t have rend, but otherwise, they dish out good damage. Especially with an Abhorrent nearby.

for summoning I would think about a third courtier, nothing tells an opponent to go **** **** **** than getting an average of 6 models back 🥳👍

like look at what you have done, nice damage ... let me just put them all back again

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Honk said:

Might be a good idea, as for hollowmourne... feast day delusion (I think)

going all horrors is tricky against high save opponents, since they don’t have rend, but otherwise, they dish out good damage. Especially with an Abhorrent nearby.

for summoning I would think about a third courtier, nothing tells an opponent to go **** **** **** than getting an average of 6 models back 🥳👍

like look at what you have done, nice damage ... let me just put them all back again

I might be wrong.... but I my feeling is that paired with GKoZD and Malefic Hunger spell (More chance to proc 3 Damage Hit), Horror might be better damage wise (Calculations below din't took in account the Malefic Hunger Spell).

But, Flayers bring a lot more mobility and can be activate in the shooting phase (Even thou I didn't have any luck with Flayers Shooting).

The Calculations wew (F = Flayers and H= Horrors):
3 F vs 6+ = 6,3 Damage
3 F vs 3+ = 4,2 Damage
3 H vs 6+ = 5,0/6,0 Damage
3 H vs 3+ = 2,2/3,2 Damage
3 H + Abhorrant vs 6+ = 8,3/9,3 Damage
3 H + Abhorrant vs 3+ = 3,4/4,3 Damage

Thinking for the average scenario we are going to face, Flayers might be a overall better pick! FLY is valuable, shooting can give us some plus,  rend can help piercing high save targets and not needing to stick closer to an Abhorrant is great!

I still need to test more - but I might stick with Flayers 90% of the cases.

EDIT1: My brain didn't worked properly when writing the beginning of my text! hahahah

Edited by Masake
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Masake said:

Horror might be better damage wise even against High Save Targets

Your own calculations seem to contradict your statement... but higher math eludes me.

I ran a 2x6 flayer feast day and I loved it... But I also ran my horrors against plaquebearers back in ghb17 and I really liked that too.

flayers with spirit hosts or deranged transformation and/or cogs are crazy fast... tricky question, maybe one of style in the end 🤷🏿‍♀️

1 minute ago, Honk said:

Your own calculations seem to contradict your statement... but higher math eludes me.

I ran a 2x6 flayer feast day and I loved it... But I also ran my horrors against plaquebearers back in ghb17 and I really liked that too.

flayers with spirit hosts or deranged transformation and/or cogs are crazy fast... tricky question, maybe one of style in the end 🤷🏿‍♀️

I wrote the opposite of what I was thinking! hahahahahha

Changed that part!

I'm still debating with myself about GKoZD and TG! The value between those twos and when do we want to stick with just one or a mix of both!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Craze said:

Greetings my fellow deranged cannibals, 

I have a private "tournament" with a couple of friends later this year and I am right now choosing what to play.

Snip

My problem is that I have ZERO FEC games under my belt, so I would like to get some feedback from more experienced marrow-gnawers about this list, especially if Hollowmourne is at least decent or if it would make more sense to make the Haunter Courtier General, to keep the Horrors Battleline.

Thanks in advance! 

If you want to lose said friends then switch to the Courtier General and go Feast Day.  Make your General a wizard to draw dispels from the royalty casting (or make him a Cruel Taskmaster to help his squads be more sticky).  Summon the Varghulf instead since he can move so flipping fast, buy your choice of two endless FEC spells and/or Cogs up to 100 points.  Upgrade ghouls to 40x.

Only concern yourself with holding 2/3rds or 3/4qs of the objectives.  Use summons to either reinforce or steal the 1/3rd or 1/4qs objective you weren’t concerned about until he fell into your trap and only left junk guarding it.  Killing artillery/super-archers is sometimes a good summons option when not playing-for-the-objectives.

Edited by Evil Bob
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Masake said:

The value between those twos and when do we want to stick with just one or a mix of both!

Two Gheists or not two Gheists that is the question. Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer...

the gkotg is a suicide rocket, while the gkozd brings his awesome buff spell. Also the dragons summoning is a buffing hero instead of a small unit of suicide crazies.

depending on the opponent, I would tend to first take a gkotg, because the obscene damage, then the dragon for his buffs. And his damage is nothing to sneeze at either...

1 hour ago, Slaanesh_in_Sewer said:

they are too terrifying...

Same is said about double gkotg list... hide behind something (charnel throne) cast cogs , summon in the knights to attack the cannons.

if your opponent has good positioning, your screwed... ally in some bats or something 

2 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

If you want to lose said friends then switch to the Courtier General and go Feast Day.  Make your General a wizard to draw dispels from the royalty casting (or make him a Cruel Taskmaster to help his squads be more sticky).  Summon the Varghulf instead since he can move so flipping fast, buy your choice of two endless FEC spells and/or Cogs up to 100 points.  Upgrade ghouls to 40x.

Only concern yourself with holding 2/3rds or 3/4qs of the objectives.  Use summons to either reinforce or steal the 1/3rd or 1/4qs objective you weren’t concerned about until he fell into your trap and only left junk guarding it.  Killing artillery/super-archers is sometimes a good summons option when not playing-for-the-objectives.

Ok, this sounds quite cool, thanks a lot for your feedback! 

So I drop the Varghulf for 10 Ghouls + Chalice & Cogs, make the Haunter my General and go Feast Day.

I will then use summoning to get the Varghulf + 3 Horrors to outflank/grab objectives/smash golden ballistae. ;)