AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

I'm leaning towards yes.  I think the good thing about Gristlegore is being able to manipulate the combat order.  Combined with Feeding Frenzy, it's bonkers.  Yes you give up a lot going with a more general all-comers list and then going Gristlegore just for the general.  Having said that, I also don't think you're maximizing Gristlegore's potential doing that.  You need a couple of hammers hitting at the same time with the CPs available to put into FF.  Ideally with 1 or 2 of those combat spells.  That's a lot of hoops to jump through but I think the payoff is there.  OTOH, Gristlegore is asking a very specific question of your opponent, and if your opponent has an answer for that question, then I think it will be an uphill struggle because you might not have the tools you would otherwise have in another Delusion where the answers aren't so obvious. 

27 minutes ago, Marthen said:

So here’s a question. Is it still worth it to go Gristlegore even if you’re not running a Royal Menagerie? I have over 60 ghouls and can run a Ghoul Patrol with a GKoZD and GKoTG but don’t have any big beasties besides that. Would I be better off using the Feeding Frenzy delusion?

EDIT: The post I was responding to since we're on a new page now....

@MarthenBy "the Feeding Frenzy Delusion" do you mean the one that allows you to FF once per turn without a CP?  That is a very strong one.  Anything that is looking into dragging a combat out into your opponents turn would want to be looking at this one.  Basically, I think all the FEC builds need to address CP management.  Thankfully, we have options and so the best one probably just comes down to builds/preference at this point.  Story might be different a few months from now.  You prob need more ghouls for Ghoul Spam.

Edited by Deadkitten

6 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I'm almost in the same situation as Marthen.

What are the FEC top builds actually?

Considering the book just dropped top is relative. Although 2 of the best placers in the English GTs currently were Veal's flayer blisterskin or Johnson's monster list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Marthen said:

Is it still worth it to go Gristlegore even if you’re not running a Royal Menagerie?

Always strike first with your gkotg, reroll hits for the maw and if you go tag-Team you’ll have another gheist next to him for the quadruple attack if needed. Whatever they touch goes down in flames and the gheist still heals d3 when within 6“ of a king.

then you can also grind it out with a big blob of ghouls, if done right a strong list.

the menagerie is not really needed, especially if you field the chalice.

too many strong options... whaaaaaaasassaaaaaaa madness

• Thanks 1

Wanted to know what u guys thought about this list. The kings ghouls battalion is only there to reduce me to 5 drop. It gets me an extra mount trait and gives battlshock immunity to anything around the crip ghast courtier, I'll be using that exclusively on the 40 ghouls. I basically have 2 screens and 4 seperate threats, the 2 monsters, 40 ghouls, and 6 horrors. I'll be Summoning in a varghulf for the horrors. I know I know.... It doesn't have an arch regent but I had to make a sacrafice somewhere 

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Gristlegore
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (400)
- General
- Trait: Savage Strike 
- Artefact: Ghurish Mawshard 
- Lore of Madness: Blood Feast
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon (440)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
- Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
- Mount Trait: Razor-clawed
Crypt Ghast Courtier (60)

Battleline
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
6 x Crypt Horrors (320)

Battalions
King's Ghouls (120)

Endless Spells
Chalice of Ushoran (40)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 118

2 minutes ago, LJ26 said:

Wanted to know what u guys thought about this list. The kings ghouls battalion is only there to reduce me to 5 drop. It gets me an extra mount trait and gives battlshock immunity to anything around the crip ghast courtier, I'll be using that exclusively on the 40 ghouls. I basically have 2 screens and 4 seperate threats, the 2 monsters, 40 ghouls, and 6 horrors. I'll be Summoning in a varghulf for the horrors. I know I know.... It doesn't have an arch regent but I had to make a sacrafice somewhere 

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Gristlegore
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (400)
- General
- Trait: Savage Strike 
- Artefact: Ghurish Mawshard 
- Lore of Madness: Blood Feast
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon (440)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
- Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
- Mount Trait: Razor-clawed
Crypt Ghast Courtier (60)

Battleline
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
6 x Crypt Horrors (320)

Battalions
King's Ghouls (120)

Endless Spells
Chalice of Ushoran (40)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 118

I’m very intrigued by this and was thinking of something similar.

6 hours ago, Deadkitten said:

Structure wise the double mounted GK lists will resemble the double VLoZD lists that have been floating around.

this is s structure that you finally find in many if not most armies. 2 big guys + blobs of boosted shaffs becoming heavy hitters and/or anvil  + elite units.

14 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

this is s structure that you finally find in many if not most armies. 2 big guys + blobs of boosted shaffs becoming heavy hitters and/or anvil  + elite units.

I believe this is a result of Cp changes (as in introducing command ability combos by saving multiple Cp for a turn) and relics being exploited( realm relics and such giving characters on huge monsters the most options of any other unit in a book). It’s also the nature of hordes to do well with buffs as they have More attacks and bodies to take those buffs. Combine this with many strategies being based on putting the right pieces togetherness to maximize damage/mobility and we have GWs game plan simplified. The only outlier I can see is Sylvaneth and even then they still have hordes and big guys it’s just not reliant on buff wagons. Buffs tactics are actually a great way to make a war game feel like a war game. In real life you can’t just slap together whatever and be effective, you use strategies and combos that are effective. This does however have the result of being tricky to balance as you can’t just build whatever you want and be good... but this is a war game so that shouldn’t be focused on, balance should be based on the identity of an army (as in don’t make every possible combo good, make the ones the army would want to make good, such as skeletons and necromancers getting along super well)

now if GW can just figure out how to balance a game based on This template we would be golden! (Haha in all seriousness AOS second edition is prolly their most balanced game they created)

• Like 1

Imo if you play Grustlegore you should have at least 3 behemoths.

you should however max-out on Ghoul Kings on Terrorgheist and give them the Gaping Maw Mount Trait (you‘ll need a Battallion to grant it twice). This way you max out on Damage. Apart from that if you‘ll (or I usually) end up having one or two Behemoths as Battleline and the Rest as heroes on Terrorgheist. From there I squeeze in a battallion and fill the rest with whatever the Battalion requires. 

That‘s how I experience Gristlegore and it played pretty well so far.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, schwabbele said:

and I hope I wont regret it. 

Proxy the model and it hurts fort he duration of the game, mess up the model and it hurts forever...

whenever I see my magnetized flayers I die a little bit inside 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Honk said:

Proxy the model and it hurts fort he duration of the game, mess up the model and it hurts forever...

whenever I see my magnetized flayers I die a little bit inside 

XD pictures!

(*putting on a shady look: I might be able to provide the right bits to cover up the flaws) 

14 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

I found the perfect varghulf alternate model:

Dweller in the Dark

It is resin (as in the actual Varghulf model), but I think with some green stuff fur it should work pretty well!

It‘s like changing from worst to worse...mhm there‘s been a vampire board game kickstart that had perfect Varghukf alternatives...

let me search the link

edit:

the evaki 

Edited by JackStreicher