AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

gotcha. and I agree. The chalice can absolutely make a unit tankier you just need to have the numbers in the first place to take the hit. a 20 man unit is still probably going to go down before a killy force whereas a 30 or 40 ghoul unit will hang out and be almost unwipeable

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

The chalice of usharun I think (misspelled it I bet haha) and endless spell that counts how many models died within 12 inches, then for roll a die for each, on a 4 up beak o wound to a friendly flesh eater courts unit nearby. If the unit has one wound models (basically if it’s ghouls) then bring back a model for every 4 up

thats not the wording on it's warscroll.

IMG_3154.PNG.07ccd7700f232b94d54dc161eaec169c.PNG

[..] you may return 1 slain model to 1 Flesh-Eater Courts unit with a Wounds characteristic of 1 that is wholly within 12" [..]

you may return slain ghoul models (as long as there are slain models beside the board), because they use the same warscroll like the unit they are returning to, but you can't add (f.e.) slain Stromcat Eternal models to a unit ghouls, because the models don't use the same Warscroll.

9 minutes ago, mrbedlam said:

But they don't bring a unit past its starting value. So a 10 man unit can only ever have 10 models in it.

there is no restriction in "past starting sizes" in AoS 2 anymore.

11 minutes ago, Fluttershy said:

thats not the wording on it's warscroll.

IMG_3154.PNG.07ccd7700f232b94d54dc161eaec169c.PNG

[..] you may return 1 slain model to 1 Flesh-Eater Courts unit with a Wounds characteristic of 1 that is wholly within 12" [..]

you may return slain ghoul models (as long as there are slain models beside the board), because they use the same warscroll like the unit they are returning to, but you can't add (f.e.) slain Stromcat Eternal models to a unit ghouls, because the models don't use the same Warscroll.

there is no restriction in "past starting sizes" in AoS 2 anymore.

I wasn’t being specific so maybe I made a mistake with my haste.  I’m not sure what you are getting at? “Count the number of models that are slain” so friend of foe, then roll a die for each slain model, on a 4 up heal a wound or bring back a ghoul. So only ghouls can bring back models, all other units in FEC simply heal to full then stop. It steals the life force and brings ghouls back up. So if you kill two storm cast with a ten Man Unit which used to have 20 roll two dice, on each 4 up you get a ghoul back.

if you are telling me the stormcasts deaths don’t count towards the dice to heal ghouls then the flavour text makes no sense, it was designed to steal the enemies soul essence and heal ghouls so why wouldn’t it do that?

Edited by TheadTheOgorSlayer

3 minutes ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

So if you kill two storm cast with a ten Man Unit which used to have 20 roll two dice, on each 4 up you get a ghoul back. 

It sounded like you wanted to boost your unit of 10 ghouls up to 20 without any slain ghoul models.

If 20 ghouls were already slain you might use the 20 charges to return those slain models. If only 5 ghouls had been slain you can use 5/20 charges to return 5 ghouls to a unit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fluttershy said:

It sounded like you wanted to boost your unit of 10 ghouls up to 20 without any slain ghoul models.

If 20 ghouls were already slain you might use the 20 charges to return those slain models. If only 5 ghouls had been slain you can use 5/20 charges to return 5 ghouls to a unit.

I fully understand the reason you thought that! I wasn’t very clear but I have edited the comment sufficiently (hopefully) to show the unit I was thinking of had been injured at an earlier point. Another user also thought the same. 

• Like 1

Hey guys - really dumb question maybe, but do Abhorrant Command Traits apply to the mount too? Could I have a GKTG with a command trait and a mount trait? Or could I have a single model with both, but the Command Trait's effects apply to the GK attacks/actions and the Mount Trait's effects apply to the mounts attacks/actions?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheBluMnM said:

Hey guys - really dumb question maybe, but do Abhorrant Command Traits apply to the mount too? Could I have a GKTG with a command trait and a mount trait? Or could I have a single model with both, but the Command Trait's effects apply to the GK attacks/actions and the Mount Trait's effects apply to the mounts attacks/actions?

Mount traits work kinda like command traits but you don’t have to put them on the general, they are a separate system and not mutually exclusive so you can take both in the same army. And like relics every battalion nets you another mount trait that can be put on any hero who hasn’t already received a mount trait. All the mount traits in our book can’t effect the rider as they are all very specific to the mounts abilities (move and shoot, increased heal do technically effect the rider but only because he’s stuck on the model and then share a wound pool. The rider has no ranged weapons anyways) command traits also don’t effect the mount unless specified to. This is the same case for relics (although we do have a relic that says it effects the mount! Yay!) 

tldr:yes a single model can have both a mount and command trait, no command traits don’t effect the mount, and no the mount traits don’t effect the rider 

also welcome to the community! ❤️

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, thundering said:

I never really got much input so I'll put it out there again;

As someone who already has 12 flayers, do I make 12 more, or make 12 horrors? Or some mixed permutation? 

That would depend on a lot of things but in general I would say make more horrors. They both do wonderful things for the army, flayers of course hit armor HARD in large units and in low ones make excellent harassing units (although we don’t have much choice) as a harassing unit I personally prefer the courtier of their unit but to each their own. Horrors are tougher (due to healing) and hit reliably when near an abhorrant so are much easier to use against targets that give negative ones to hit. They are for all intent and purposes, a hammer unit, with a large damage potential per model and our easiest hitting unit by far other then specific attacks on monsters. Reliable hitting hammer unit with some built in tankiness vs a fast somewhat hard hitting and multi use flyer unit. I think it would help to have both! And 12 flayers seems enough to me for 2000 points (unless you want a specific grand court like blister skin, although with spells any unit can teleport) heavy monster lists also like flayer over horrors as they are able to keep up better.

also if you wanna maxed out death watch 12 flayers would get you closer! Although I personally love the horror battalion incorporating two units and a courtier that gives re rolls to hit as long as the abhorrant is alive!

Just now, Mmanuel said:

Depends on the meta..... Against stormcast, with units wich save 2+, rerolling 1, flayers are better for mortal Wounds and rend - 1...... Against nighthaunt or other units with a normal save (4+ or higher) horrors are more better

I find units that can gain that tend to be low damage, I normally drown them in ghouls and beat them at objectives 😂 and using spells to get the re roll can be unreliable. Luckily we are a hard army to outlast when built correctly, and also lucky that to get a 2 up save on a lot of units they need a trait and to rely on an easily killed hero... 

With most of my armies I try to build on a theme, like my tzeentch force being a force of living gold statues or adding plague doctor masks to pestilen rats. I love FEC but I’m struggling to find a unique theme to justify a green stuff addition to my forces. Does anybody have any ideas? So far I’ve thought of adding a little heraldry to each shoulder as if they carved a symbol or were branded by the king, but I can’t seem to think of any past that. Seeing others ideas might inspire me (like it did with pestilens, I played with the idea of a gas mask and then watched a YouTube video depicting a plague doctor putting posy in his mask which reminded me of the filter and made me change the idea to a plague mask)

Buy a bunch of free peoples models to go along with your fec, split the models in half (literally) and assemble as 50/50 human/ghoul, paint the ghoul half normaly and the human part as a Ghost. This displays both the ghouls as what they truly are, and the way they percieve themselves. For added effect, also split the basing. This Will of course require quite a lot of work, but i think it could look pretty cool!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KoalaSnok said:

Buy a bunch of free peoples models to go along with your fec, split the models in half (literally) and assemble as 50/50 human/ghoul, paint the ghoul half normaly and the human part as a Ghost. This displays both the ghouls as what they truly are, and the way they percieve themselves. For added effect, also split the basing. This Will of course require quite a lot of work, but i think it could look pretty cool!

Mixing free peoples bits is a very common theme people add to FEC and it’s definitely a cool idea, the commonness is what puts me off, I’ve actually been thinking of adding imperial guard bits ( as some theorize that the galaxy  of 40k and the world of fantasy or realms I guess, are actually existing in the same universe) so eveidence that a lost guard squadron somehow made it into a realm and turned ghoulish would be cool! Also using las pistols and lasguns would allow me to play them as cultists as well! So it sounds like a win win for my chaos army. I’m still open to ideas tho! 

I'm going for a full army of "how they see themselves" using some Brettonian & Free Peoples models. My theme is all around Griffons too. So I'm using the large Freeguild one as a Terrorgheist, the High Elf one as a Vhargulf, Bretonian Pegasus Knights as Flayers, Free peoples Demi-gryph will be my Horrors etc. I even picked up some Forge World Empire heads that all have a large feather on to push the theme.

Essentially they'll be from the snowy peaks of Ghur, where the Griffons exclusively breed and are a huge part of the culture and how the court wages war. At least, that's what they think. The Griffons are all long gone and what remains of the noble realm are flesh-eating monsters covered in a few feathered charms of their long dead companions that they feasted on decades ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

With most of my armies I try to build on a theme, like my tzeentch force being a force of living gold statues or adding plague doctor masks to pestilen rats. I love FEC but I’m struggling to find a unique theme to justify a green stuff addition to my forces. Does anybody have any ideas? So far I’ve thought of adding a little heraldry to each shoulder as if they carved a symbol or were branded by the king, but I can’t seem to think of any past that. Seeing others ideas might inspire me (like it did with pestilens, I played with the idea of a gas mask and then watched a YouTube video depicting a plague doctor putting posy in his mask which reminded me of the filter and made me change the idea to a plague mask)

I think FEC is the easiest army for conversions in  the history of GW. The delusion theme lends itself to almost anything. Carnival, Circus, Missionaries, Robin Hood, vampire hunters, etc.

Edited by Pangu

2 hours ago, Charlo said:

I'm going for a full army of "how they see themselves" using some Brettonian & Free Peoples models. My theme is all around Griffons too. So I'm using the large Freeguild one as a Terrorgheist, the High Elf one as a Vhargulf, Bretonian Pegasus Knights as Flayers, Free peoples Demi-gryph will be my Horrors etc. I even picked up some Forge World Empire heads that all have a large feather on to push the theme.

Essentially they'll be from the snowy peaks of Ghur, where the Griffons exclusively breed and are a huge part of the culture and how the court wages war. At least, that's what they think. The Griffons are all long gone and what remains of the noble realm are flesh-eating monsters covered in a few feathered charms of their long dead companions that they feasted on decades ago.

I'm sort of doing halfway between the two- rags of bretonnian style penants and clothing as if they were a noble kindgdom 100 years ago before their king was cursed.