AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

I'm unapologetically stoked for all this.  I've been sitting on a repainting project (I bought back a demo SC army I painted for my buddy's store that went out of business and I need to repaint it to match my own FEC army) that I'll probably jump in to, and I'll probably be sharing a Carrion Empire box with a local rat fancier, and I'll pick up the spells and maybe the throne (unless I convert something for it).  It's all rainbows and lollipops* here in Big Mike land.

*Your delusion may vary.

The Throne is a disappointment to me, it just somewhat mitigates the command point tax we shouldn't even be burdened with in the first place to do our army's main shtick, and doesn't even work for GKOZD and GKOTG for some random reason - probably because they're mobile enough that bunching them all around the Throne during deployment isn't "enough of a drawback" to pay for the CP discount.

Spells are fine - horses are brutal but then again just another Jaws clone with no secondary. Grail is completely redundant. Fence is actually amazing, unlike shackles it has no chance to fail, it's just a straight up free turn vs. stuff like BCR.

7 minutes ago, Shroud Of Night said:

This is very interesting, RAW it does seem to hit charge and retreat moves as well.  This does amp up the power level quite a bit.

RAW it states "move" not "normal move"

move = normal move / charge-move / pile-in move

❤️❤️❤️

Edited by Fluttershy

5 minutes ago, mrbedlam said:

So question, if they start their move within 3" but end their move outside of 3. Does it recheck to see if they are in when they charge? or does it count for the entire round?

I would say the moves are different and it checks at the start of each.  However, for charge blocking it seems real easy to put it in front of a unit 3 inches away, then after it takes its reduced movement forward its still within 3 inches in the charge phase to get shafted again.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

I would say the moves are different and it checks at the start of each.  However, for charge blocking it seems real easy to put it in front of a unit 3 inches away, then after it takes its reduced movement forward its still within 3 inches in the charge phase to get shafted again.

That's my thought on it as well. The Wall will be a solid defensive spell as long as its cheap. I was really hoping that the throne helped our casting out when we were near it, but we are still gonna be outmatched by some armies.  (read: popular armies atm. Gitz and LoN)

7 minutes ago, mrbedlam said:

That's my thought on it as well. The Wall will be a solid defensive spell as long as its cheap. I was really hoping that the throne helped our casting out when we were near it, but we are still gonna be outmatched by some armies.  (read: popular armies atm. Gitz and LoN)

Yea getting our spells off will be key.  I am seriously thinking about taking an allied corpse cart for the +1 to cast. It's cheap (80) and fits aesthetically and narratively with the army.

8 minutes ago, choocheelo said:

i hope with new summon they dont take away vargulf and ghast healing.. if not we are never be realy dead...

and i think they dont remove "summon once per game" so we dont care about CP with throne or without..

I am not sure about the not caring about CPs.  With all our summoning and the new Feeding Frenzy I think our army will be super Command point hungry.

5 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

Yea getting our spells off will be key.  I am seriously thinking about taking an allied corpse cart for the +1 to cast. It's cheap (80) and fits aesthetically and narratively with the army.

Same with me, I want to try and reproduse this cart with huge beast from our warscroll cards

• Like 1

Well, color me stoked. I always loved FEC since I read their lore. My last Death project fell flat due to lack lustet Blood Knights conversions. But my lore I had brewing could fit FEC perfectly.

One thing I wanted to say....am I just dumb or is everyone misreading the throne.

One, it is keyworded so all the people thinking the mounted Ghoul kings can't use it are missing that.

Two, it has no limitations on the number of dudes using it.

So, I am thinking 4 Kings on Dragons and an Arch Reagent all cuddled around the throne turn 1. Summom a new freakin' army and then dive bomb away. Bam. 5 free command points and nearly 500 points of free dudes. Seeeeems good. Given I planned a Dragon heavy death from the start, this sounds awesome. (Good will depend on testing, but it is at least promising. lol

After that, a few general thoughts.

Couriers: The converter in me loves the opportunity to do unique heroes! I am getting kinda sick of all the stock heroes released these days, everyone's armies look so similar.

But I understand. You should always have a stock option that is easy and clean. Converting should be an open possibility.

I did have a thought on a fix. What if Couriers become unit upgrades? So, you build the box normally and have the buffs baked into the unit. Would NOT help unit variety and they'd have to nerf courtier abilities as they'd be near unkillable. lol

Or not. Anyways, eager to get the book. So scared for my current painting projects, BUT I will get them done!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lord_blackfang said:

The names of the two command abilities it can be used with are spelled out.

....so close. Here's to hoping they change the command ability name? lol Ok, so I guess that's on the "I am being dumb" side. Oh well.

Still works I guess with a group of Archreagents, which still seem super strong... Oh well, we shall see.

2 hours ago, XReN said:

@flamingwalnut dude, you really should have read the old tome and FAQ for FEC

Did I miss something else? I mean, I skinmed through the tome and kept relatively up to date with FAQs...what is this in reference to?

Edited by flamingwalnut

The stampede is a lot better than I originally gave it credit for. It has such a high movement you can get it behind enemy units and then if you lose control of it, they have to risk moving it back through their own forces to try and punish you with it.

With how many horde armies there are in the meta right now you could potentially get a pretty devastating 'charge' with it on the turn you set it up.

The wall I put on par with Shackles, perfect filler if it's only 20pts. Not that useful if it's anything more than that.

I'm not quite sold on the chalice, sure it has the potential of providing a lot of healing, but on your turn you're likely not going to charge a king into a combat that's going to leave it reeling while at the same time having killed a ton of models to heal it back up at the end of the turn. It will at least cause your opponent to question whether or not they want to engage one of our big guys if they can't kill it in one go.

For the throne, I like the model and I think Archregent's will be mandatory, so it's at least always a free command point. Nothing flashy, but at least it's reliable.

1 hour ago, Neinball said:

For the throne, I like the model and I think Archregent's will be mandatory, so it's at least always a free command point. Nothing flashy, but at least it's reliable.

I have a hard time getting hyped on the Archregent. The problem is the majority of his support comes from spellcasting and currently FEC's magic phase is pretty garbage. I don't like relying on spells in such a magic heavy meta. Looking at him in a vacuum id much rather spend my points towards a mounted hero who can contribute in combat. It really will depend on his cost and whether or not we can get a casting bonus.