AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

I’m pretty happy with the release. I wasn’t expecting anything more than a revamped book, the endless spells and terrain piece are a bonus. Of course I’d want some new units or a plastic varghulf, but I expected GW to follow their release model for 40k and just knock out the old AoS 1.0 books in rapid fire order with limited new models and mostly just a new book with updated rules.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sception said:

A courtier box (dual kit either horror or flayer, maybe with a ghoul courtier on the sprue for kicks) could have come in at the same or even more points, and sold multiples of the same box to FEC players instead of just an obligatory single purchase, and would have been something the line actually already needed instead of just a tacked on extra.

I would have preferred it at least - though I don't exactly hate the throne, so I can certainly understanding some players feeling otherwise.

They could even get away with simply allowing the Fell Bats, Bat Swarms, Dire Wolves, Corpse Carts, and maybe Zombies to be part of the FEC.  The bats should certainly be in there.  And maybe a new kit for plastic bats & swarms could have pulled double duty for the FEC and the LoN units. 

The FEC range is just SO limited at the moment, it doesn't feel like it's even worth a new Battletome if they're not going to add anything.

4 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Same. Especially since I find most of their Crypt-Horror kitbash Units utterly boring and quite uncreative.

as long as this faction doesn‘t at least get 3 new units (not counting heroes) I won‘t buy anything of it.

the throne is story-wise and style-wise the worst (who the heck carries half a wall with a throne on in to EVERY battle?) - Huge minus in GWs reputions imo.

I agree about the throne.  It would look appropriate in the main hall of an ancient catacomb, or at the heart of a FEC settlement built among some crumbling ruins, but most tables will probably just have this random stairway with a bone-throne on it, plopped in the middle of an empty field.

5 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

why the heck do FeC carry a Throne-House around?

the more I see it the more I dislike it.

This basically applies to most of the new scenery pieces. Who carries a Moon Shrine mountain with a cave in it and a 20 foot tall stone Monolith Herdstone? 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I am happy that we are getting a book, but like the rest I wish we were getting a few more models. In particular a plastic vargulf. I would love if it was a combo kit, making a courtier and a banner man for a totem option. 

I am not a huge fan of the throne. It looks too clean and well crafted for my concept of the FEC asthetic. I would expect something more hap hazard looking.

Still, a lot of work can be done with the rules update. My biggest wish is that they do away with the requirement that couriers be your general to unlock battle line options. It feels wrong that the vampire king takes orders from a mere mordant.

I have real hopes for the spells. I want something that can help counter ranged units, and maybe something that can boost a units rend.

Looking forward to seeing what we get.

I'm mostly interested in the rules changes. There's a few things to point out there, like the tokens for a stackable Ferocious Hunger condition.  You've also go Feed On Magic which sounds pretty juicy.  Unholy Vitality and Black Hunger are still there so we still get our old favorites. I'm also willing to bet we will see the ability to take on different aspects of the Courts so maybe our delusions won't be so one sided that we just take on and never look at the others.

We also get endless spells that will, more than likely be situational, but they are fairly cheap and a terrain piece that will probably also be fairly cheap but hopefully allow for some interesting options to play.

I'm pretty excited all in all, for every opportunity they missed we still got a lot of good stuff going on and who knows perhaps more units are opened up to us in the battle tome we just don't have releases for those units.  The sky is the limit until we get the book in our hands.

1 hour ago, TheWilddog said:

This basically applies to most of the new scenery pieces. Who carries a Moon Shrine mountain with a cave in it and a 20 foot tall stone Monolith Herdstone? 

Well the beastmen actually do lug that monolith everywhere they go and into battle

the moonshrine is actually created on the battlefield before hand via meteor fall by the da bad moon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

The Herdsone makes sense, since it does look pretty ramshackle and could have just been erected, and the Sylvath trees makes sense because even in game they can make them sprout up, the skaven gnawholes are easily explained as just being madeand even the gloomtide ship wreck makes some sense because it can get washed onto the battlefield with the same aether water or whatever it that they ride in on, but yeah the really static ones like the Loonshrine and now this thing don't make as much sense. With my Loonshrine I assume my goblins are always defending and they live where ever the battle is happening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob Hawkins said:

They could even get away with simply allowing the Fell Bats, Bat Swarms, Dire Wolves, Corpse Carts, and maybe Zombies to be part of the FEC.  The bats should certainly be in there.  And maybe a new kit for plastic bats & swarms could have pulled double duty for the FEC and the LoN units. 

The FEC range is just SO limited at the moment, it doesn't feel like it's even worth a new Battletome if they're not going to add anything.

If that happened, I'd definitely build out a Flesheater courts army. I've got some leftover ghouls from their start collecting box that I bought for the Vampire Lord on Zombie dragon and the vargheists, but if I could use my zombies and bats, even though I don't care for the models, the extra variety might be enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bsharitt said:

, but yeah the really static ones like the Loonshrine and now this thing don't make as much sense. With my Loonshrine I assume my goblins are always defending and they live where ever the battle is happening.

it actually created by the bad moon every time it show up in the sky it rain down meteors onto the ground and apparently they just end up moon shape in the end

for the Throne, the Ghoul king probably just use magic to animate the bone into a chair shape throne and the pedestal area just happens to be there

Wow there is sure a surprising amount of complaining going on here. I, for one, am very pleased FEC are getting an army book that will make them a competitive choice on the tabletop. They needed a solid new flavor and design scheme apart from the General’s Handbook. The new Ghoul King Model, terrain piece, and endless spells are just gravy on top. I imagine Nagash will get a lot of mileage out of that corpse wall. I love the corpse horses as well. Frankly I’m happy they pushed out this update instead of waiting for years to introduce new models.  

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, XReN said:

There is an ability called Feed on Dark Magic on Vargulf's Warscroll, so it is probably just renamed to be shorter

The token is actually for Feed on Dark Magic, so it’s likely just a marker for that. The ferocious hunger 1/2/3 is likely for the regent’s spell which looks to be “Casting value of 6 (8?). Pick a unit wholly within 24” (18?) and add D3 attacks to their melee weapons.” Everything the regent does just looks slightly better than a regular ghoul king:

7 wounds, 7 attacks, heals a flat 3, cast/unbind 2 spells, D3 attacks on his spell, and his command ability can summon a courtier, a unit of 3 revenants (likely to be flayers or horrors) or 20 serfs (ghouls). Now only if we could take him on a terrorgheist!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sception said:

Not to mention how the total lack of named heroes leaves the faction sorely lacking in personality and with almost no presence in the overall game narrative since they don't have any important figures to carry the torch.

Actually the current FEC Battletome gives aristocratic titles + names to each FEC hero (e.g. Marquis Gruelsop and Retchbile, Lord Marrowbroth, Liverbelch, and Chamberslough, Baron Gizzard). They will probably stay in new Battletome or at least they will probably keep same logic. But I agree with you: having already described these named heroes in the FEC lore, GW could release new model for them :)

I for one welcome our new gallant, chivalrous, slightly cannibalistic overlords!

Stoked about the new battletome and even though we don't have a huge amount of units getting them improved somewhat would be lovely. And DoK and kharadrons are similarly small option armies.

Of course the best news is zombie dragon battleline. Bring forth the monster cavalry? Though I can't seeing a heavy dragon list being too useful. Though having to not take 3 ghouls if you want them as big units is nice. Not sure the ZD is as good without a king on top though.

• Like 1

I'm fairly happy, as I spent the weekend digging up my old ghoul collection, glued up some of the recent GW plastic ones to add to them and will be painting everything this week............then read a new book is on its way. Perfect timing. I reckon, once I've done the bigger beasts next week, the full project will be done in a fortnight :)

Don't like that throne much though. Its too ordered, clean and designed for how I see my lot. I know its supposed to be a throne, but it doesn't have to be a literal one. I'd just make one from a big pile of rotting bones thats been sat in.

Edited by Mosquito onthe TenthFloor

Really can't wait to get that archregent, D3 extra attacks for a unit of 40 ghouls? Bringing them at max 6 attacks per piece. Which you can then make even more amazing by using a normal AGK with the Black Hunger spell to give them +1 attack. Want to go even further? Get a vampire lord whose spell gives a death unit an extra attack!

Every. Single. Ghoul. Would. Make. 8. Attacks. That's just amazing XD

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Charlo said:

Throne makes sense too!

The peasantry erect a glorious throne for the king's to watch over the Hunt's preceedings. It's all about the pageantry! 

Whilst I'm not sure of its exact historical accuracy, I remember in a Sharpe Novel the french set up bleachers for the upper class to watch their victory.  Since its a Sharpe novel the french lose.

7 minutes ago, DocteurQui said:

Really can't wait to get that archregent, D3 extra attacks for a unit of 40 ghouls? Bringing them at max 6 attacks per piece. Which you can then make even more amazing by using a normal AGK with the Black Hunger spell to give them +1 attack. Want to go even further? Get a vampire lord whose spell gives a death unit an extra attack!

Every. Single. Ghoul. Would. Make. 8. Attacks. That's just amazing XD

Vampire Lord wont effect them. They dont have the right keyword

3 minutes ago, Gdead909 said:

Vampire Lord wont effect them. They dont have the right keyword

The Vampire Lord command ability Blood Feast targets a friendly DEATH unit.  Don't think FEC are losing the Death keyword lolI

I'm an idiot sorry, Vampire Lord can't be taken as an ally in a FEC army.  Necromancer is fair game though!

Edited by relic456
Edit: Vampire Lord can't be taken as an ally in FEC armies.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1