AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

Honk

6 hours ago, Honk said:

It is pretty brutal raw attack list. With majestic horror you would summon 2x3 horrors and another 3... 480 points charging in from the board edges and since they are out of support range, they have to charge in right away before getting picked off. Or your king has to charge up double time (flayed pennant) to buff them.

Both options seem pretty aggressive to me  ;-D

There are some scenarios where you‘ll need 20 bodies for a capture, but I think you can recapture the point by killing off its „defenders“.  Those scenarios will be tough, but other armies have the same troubles. Played „places of arcane power“ against Khorne... where you‘ll need a caster to score or an hero with artifact. Would have messed up any Kharadron player too. Beastclaw have the same troubles.

Thanks for the reply. Hard to pick a starting army with so many fun looking options.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GunslingerOy said:

Hard to pick a starting army with so many fun looking options.

Yes, there are. And a lot of tough questions come with it. Even with the relativly limited amount of models there are a bunch of fun builds to be played...

18 hours ago, Honk said:

It is pretty brutal raw attack list. With majestic horror you would summon 2x3 horrors and another 3... 480 points charging in from the board edges and since they are out of support range, they have to charge in right away before getting picked off. Or your king has to charge up double time (flayed pennant) to buff them.

Both options seem pretty aggressive to me  ;-D

There are some scenarios where you‘ll need 20 bodies for a capture, but I think you can recapture the point by killing off its „defenders“.  Those scenarios will be tough, but other armies have the same troubles. Played „places of arcane power“ against Khorne... where you‘ll need a caster to score or an hero with artifact. Would have messed up any Kharadron player too. Beastclaw have the same troubles.

Off topic a bit but knowing that there are armies that don't have native casters, Arcane Power seems like a bad move on GWs part.

3 hours ago, snakezenn said:

Mostly how is everyone playing it?

With 3 units of ghouls and a courtier...

😂👍

the finer details like unit size, deployment and unit tasks vary, like a lot. Also there is a rule questions I‘m not 100% sure about, the max unit size. The warscroll states only a minimum unit size and no upper limit. In our local group we decided, that the max unit size from the ghb is the maximum number of models there can ever be, hard stop. I haven’t total knowledge if that is covered in any comments or faq. There are opinions out there, that the ghb max is only the biggest starting unit size...

what is covered, is that ghouls patrol ADDs new models, even above starting unit size, giving you the option to take smaller units that develop over time...

you start with 560 points minimum (C+10/10/10). It might be a good idea, giving the courtier flayed pennant to get off the 9“ charge, with crusaders delusion you have good chances to get the 6+. But you could also fly up with your Ghoulking to get in range. If you want to first strike you might want to have more than 10 ghouls, so 30/20/20 (960 points) and a bunch of other combinations come to mind like 40/20/10. you could also go full buckets 40/40/40 for 1340 points... and drown your opponent in bodies in his own deployment zone. With a gkozd who summons two varghulf all three units are supported by heroes and your opponent has to deal with them.

the unit size depends of course on the task given. If it only is homebase baby sitting, the unit can be 10 ghouls and even start on the field getting +d6 right away. But if they are supposed to charge 40  crazy aelves or decimators, you’ll need all the attacks you can get. For objective grabbing or support hero hunting 20-30 ghouls might suffice, depending on the threat level they are facing.

it also depends on the rest of your army and your point restrictions... and of course your opponent units, blightkings will plow through them while plaquebearers or kurnoth with their -1 to hit will severely hinder the kill capacity. 

Ghoul patrol in a nutshell... XD

• Like 1

FEC Battalion - ATTENDANTS AT COURT

Ability - Steward to the King: As the king's chief minister at court, the Lord Chamberslough is adept at relaying and enforcing the commands of his master in battle. If your general is an ABHORRANT GHOUL KING and is within 10" of this battalion's Crypt Haunter Courtier during your hero phase, he can use two command abilities that phase (and can even use the same command ability twice).

Does this include summoning?

Can't find any reference yet. :/

Sorry should have been more clear. I was more referring to how the courtier abilities and how it interacts with the summoning of the battalion. For instance, I have a unit of 10 ghould that gains 4 guys first tuen and then loses 6 guys in combat. I would be able to bring back all six? Or only 2 since that would bring me up to the original 10?

5 hours ago, Fluttershy said:

Technically yes, but the summoning command abilities is one time only... with the exception of the majestic horror generals ability. And that only after a faq clarified its double use. Which should also count for the „Steward“ ability, but RAW beats RAI (sadly).

Write a „complaint“ at the faq guys and hopefully it gets settled. 

7 hours ago, Fluttershy said:

FEC Battalion - ATTENDANTS AT COURT

Ability - Steward to the King: As the king's chief minister at court, the Lord Chamberslough is adept at relaying and enforcing the commands of his master in battle. If your general is an ABHORRANT GHOUL KING and is within 10" of this battalion's Crypt Haunter Courtier during your hero phase, he can use two command abilities that phase (and can even use the same command ability twice).

Can't find any reference yet. :/

It was completely changed, check FAQ

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Honk said:

There are opinions out there, that the ghb max is only the biggest starting unit size...

Well, we can at least assume that based on this des commentary we can go any size, cuz if, you know, you start with 40 and you CAN go over starting size...

Q: Most Flesh-eater Courts abilities only allow you to return slain models to a unit. However, this restriction does not apply to the Drawn to Battle ability of the Ghoul Patrol warscroll battalion. Can I use the ability to take a unit above its starting strength? A: Yes.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, XReN said:

Well, we can at least assume that based on this des commentary we can go any size, cuz if, you know, you start with 40 and you CAN go over starting size...

Q: Most Flesh-eater Courts abilities only allow you to return slain models to a unit. However, this restriction does not apply to the Drawn to Battle ability of the Ghoul Patrol warscroll battalion. Can I use the ability to take a unit above its starting strength? A: Yes.

Yeah but who has that many ghouls? oh wait, yeah I do lmao. I really need to get movement trays soon

• LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, XReN said:

It was completely changed, check FAQ

thank you, missed the change :/

FAQ July 2018

Page 93 – Attendants at Court, Steward To The King Change the second sentence to: ‘If your general is within 10" of the Crypt Haunter Courtier from this battalion at the start of your hero phase, you receive 1 additional command point.’

• Thanks 1

ever thought of returning slain models to another unit?

is it possible to return slain ghoul models to another ghoul unit?

f.e.

ghoul unit (a) takes 4 casulties - (slain model count: 4)

next hero phase returns 4(+) slain ghoul models - add 4 models to ghoul unit (b) - (slain model count: 0)

;)

I might miss something -- this **** is burning my brain..

So let's start with the definition of slain models:

SLAIN MODELS

Once the number of wounds allocated to a model during the battle equals its Wounds characteristic, the model is slain. Place a slain model to one side – it is removed from play.

(Core Rules AoS 2.0)

For simplification let's focus on ghouls.

So every slain (ghoul) model goes right into our "slain-model-(ghoul)-pool", beside the board - removed from play.

When it comes to our HERO PHASE let's pick our Crypt Ghast Courtier and use his ability:

Muster Men-at-arms: In your hero phase, you can roll 6 dice for each friendly Crypt Ghast Courtier on the battlefield. If you do so, for each 2+, you can return 1 slain model to a friendly Crypt Ghouls unit that is within 10" of that Crypt Ghast Courtier. Slain models can be returned to more than one unit if you wish, but each successful dice roll can only be used to return a model to a single unit.

(FAQ July 2018)

It allows us to return (previously removed from play) slain models (back into play) and add them to a friendly Crypt Ghoul unit that is within 10".

This doesn't imply the slain model has to be from a specific (ghoul) unit, nor we have to "return" it to the unit it previosly belonged to. We return a slain model to a friendlyCrypt Ghul unit within 10" - returning to the battle, returning to the game, returning "into play". It shouldn't matter if the model has been slain in ghoul unit (a) or ghoul unit (b).

It still isn't adding new models to a unit - like ghoul patrol does "[..] and add that many models to the unit."

We're still limited to our "slain-model-(ghoul)-pool" and since AoS 2.0 hasn't any "you can't go over unit starting size" restrictions anymore, I think we should be able to return a slain ghoul to whatever ghoul unit within 10" we want to.

Counter argumentation is apprechiated ;)

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fluttershy said:

since AoS 2.0 hasn't any "you can't go over unit starting size" restrictions anymore

I don’t have the new big book for AoS 2.0, so I / we around here abide by the old rules for matched play, that the starting unit size is a hard maximum for the game... (terms&conditions apply)

I haven’t dug through all the faq/comments, but have the feeling, that when talking about returning slain models, they always refer to „from that unit“. All the old faqs weren’t scratched, or is AoS 2.0 a complete new set up?!

Buuuut, if you bring all the faq / comment printouts to the table and are willing to RAW it... go for it

(who knows, what they’ll do to us in the new book, not really concerned, but...)

1 hour ago, Fluttershy said:

Counter argumentation is apprechiated ;)

Quite interesting thoughts, I already know when I'm going to use this...

26 minutes ago, Honk said:

I haven’t dug through all the faq/comments, but have the feeling, that when talking about returning slain models, they always refer to „from that unit“. All the old faqs weren’t scratched, or is AoS 2.0 a complete new set up?!

Thats the thing, all FEC returning abilities are currently written without reference that returning models have to belong to the unit they return to

I actually don't have/can't find any counter arguments

Edited by XReN
  • Haha 1