AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

30 minutes ago, Finklelord said:

A couple things that stand out to me:

-One of your AAR should have Spectral Host or Monstrous Vigor 

-The command trait is kinda wasted on an AAR since he doesn't really want to be in combat. Though you don't have any other options unless you find room for a GKoTG

-Grim Garland also is a waste since he won't be near the action and the only model that benefits directly from it is the Terrorgheist which will be miles ahead of the AAR

I would highly recommend finding room for a GKoTG and make him the general. When he charges it's just disgusting 

-Zombie Dragons unmounted are generally bad. What makes them shine is the signature spell that comes with the GK 

I've havnt tried the big guys with out the mounts. Do you think they are unworthy investment in points?

Just trying to come up with a really solid list but cant seem to get one 😥

11 minutes ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

I've havnt tried the big guys with out the mounts. Do you think they are unworthy investment in points?

The Terrorgheist by itself is really the only worthy one to take since it can still do a good amount of damage.

Zombie Dragons just don't do enough damage to justify (though rule of cool they look amazing).

Put a Ghoul King on either of them, GKoTG or GKoZD, and both become amazing. I can't tell you how much my GKoTG has done in games. He once rolled triple 6's on a group of Dryads. GKoZD is more of a force multiplier and best used with Knights or even a large group of Ghouls. 

Also one of your heroes needs to take the Gristlegore specific Artifact too.

Edited by Finklelord

12 hours ago, Finklelord said:

The Terrorgheist by itself is really the only worthy one to take since it can still do a good amount of damage.

Zombie Dragons just don't do enough damage to justify (though rule of cool they look amazing).

Put a Ghoul King on either of them, GKoTG or GKoZD, and both become amazing. I can't tell you how much my GKoTG has done in games. He once rolled triple 6's on a group of Dryads. GKoZD is more of a force multiplier and best used with Knights or even a large group of Ghouls. 

Also one of your heroes needs to take the Gristlegore specific Artifact too.

I just reread about the gristlegore artefact 😥 it's a bit lack luster.

The lists I'm looking at running are as follows:

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Court of Delusion - The Feast Day
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Abhorrant Archregent (240)
- General
- Trait: Dark Wizardy 
- Artefact: The Dermal Robe 
- Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)
- Lore of Madness: Blood Feast
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon (440)
- Artefact: Blood-river Chalice 
- Lore of Madness: Miasmal Shroud
- Mount Trait: Razor-clawed
Crypt Ghast Courtier (60)

Battleline
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Battalions
Ghoul Patrol (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chalice of Ushoran (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 99

Or

Leaders
- General

Battleline
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Battalions
Ghoul Patrol (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chalice of Ushoran (50)

Any suggestions appreciated :)

21 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

I've come up with the following and wondering what's the community's thoughts on this gristlegore list:

I would throw out the zombiedragon and the menagerie and get the cheesecake GkoTg...

the idea of summoning in 2x20 ghouls or 20 and a varghulf sounds pretty funky

Hi, to everybody!

Need a help, how 2 of GKoTG can attack 1st at the start of your combat phase in Gristelgore?

My friend tell me I can activate 2 of my ZD at the start of my combat phase, and make second attack for CP - Feeding frenzy.

I thought that only 1 TG with Savage Strike can attack 1st.

General with Savage Strike attacks out of normal sequence, at the start of the combat phase.

You can think of it as a Phase 0, after which you play as usual, so you can choose one of your units to fight with.

Doing so, you effectively attack with two units in a row 

15 hours ago, Glaurung said:

General with Savage Strike attacks out of normal sequence, at the start of the combat phase.

You can think of it as a Phase 0, after which you play as usual, so you can choose one of your units to fight with.

Doing so, you effectively attack with two units in a row 

Thank you for answer! 

Is it legal on tournaments and competitions?

On 8/17/2019 at 2:08 AM, ReAnimate Studios said:

Leaders
- General

Battleline
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Battalions
Ghoul Patrol (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chalice of Ushoran (50)

Or

Leaders
- General

Battleline
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Battalions
Ghoul Patrol (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chalice of Ushoran (50)

You posted the same two lists, just FYI!

On 8/17/2019 at 10:08 AM, ReAnimate Studios said:

Together with the trait, it would be totally broken otherwise.

Also, a lot of units have useful banners/musicians who might appreciate a club to the face.  Or a thinned out daisychain might get smashed apart...

On 8/17/2019 at 11:08 AM, ReAnimate Studios said:

Spoiler

Leaders
- General

Battleline
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Battalions
Ghoul Patrol (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chalice of Ushoran (50)

Or

Leaders
- General

Battleline
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Battalions
Ghoul Patrol (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chalice of Ushoran (50)

That is what I usually run and won local tournament or 2 with, but I've been using Miasmatic Blade on my TG and right now I think of experimenting with Spectral Host on monsters and Doppelganger Cloak

This list is very well rounded

A few of questions for the good folks that I have been thinking about for the past couple of days and [still] trying to make a 1500 point list.

-Of the non-battletome artifacts what is the best to take? Any of them good on courtiers?

-Does a mix of Horrors and Flayers ever prove useful to anyone? Example a unit of 6 Horrors and a unit of 6 Flayers, or is it best to go one route? 

-Is the Ghoul King worth to fill points and to get an extra spell?

Thanks!

Hello!

1) it really depends what you are looking for, what list you want to play, if you need mobility, survivability or additional damage;

2) Yes, but I think you should think the list around the Royal mordants batallion

3) It depends on the list, but GK on foot is always good

1 hour ago, Glaurung said:

Hello!

1) it really depends what you are looking for, what list you want to play, if you need mobility, survivability or additional damage;

2) Yes, but I think you should think the list around the Royal mordants batallion

3) It depends on the list, but GK on foot is always good

1-My lists I typically play is fast Flayers and GKoTG. I know Gryph Feather Charm is good but was curious of others.

2-I have tried Royal Mordants several times but I feel like I am doing it wrong. I have one element fizzle out while another keeps going. 

3-Other than how he looks on the rock I will try him out. He may not be the power house like the AAR but I find since the point update I can no longer fit two AARs and am looking for another spell slinger. 

10 minutes ago, Glaurung said:

The GK is another buff: you can use his spell together with che AAR one (but in you have two regents, you can’t).

with “depends on the list” I meant: what are you lacking/struggling against?

The real thing I lack is survivability and staying in the late game. My typical opponents tend to bring high damage units (like Hunters) and I tend to over extend my units. I've tried to stop this by being fast and keep all my models in range for their additional save. My other problem is pitting units that shouldn't be against each other. Like Flayers should against higher armored units and Horrors against hordes.

I hate to admit it, but in the dozen or so games I played I haven't really lost. By no means have I swept the table every game as I normally run out of fuel turn 2 or get double turned an can't bring back models. The end of the month I am going to a tournament with unknown meta so I am kinda hoping to lose and learn a few things. 

31 minutes ago, Finklelord said:

The real thing I lack is survivability and staying in the late game. My typical opponents tend to bring high damage units (like Hunters) and I tend to over extend my units. I've tried to stop this by being fast and keep all my models in range for their additional save. My other problem is pitting units that shouldn't be against each other. Like Flayers should against higher armored units and Horrors against hordes.

I hate to admit it, but in the dozen or so games I played I haven't really lost. By no means have I swept the table every game as I normally run out of fuel turn 2 or get double turned an can't bring back models. The end of the month I am going to a tournament with unknown meta so I am kinda hoping to lose and learn a few things. 

Do you think that as you experience a wider meta and maybe tougher opponents at tournament's your ability to play FEC better will improve without having to massively adjust your list?

I think looking at recent big UK/US tournament lists will give you a good idea of what is happening in a wider sense. 

3 minutes ago, Blisterfeet said:

Do you think that as you experience a wider meta and maybe tougher opponents at tournament's your ability to play FEC better will improve without having to massively adjust your list?

I think looking at recent big UK/US tournament lists will give you a good idea of what is happening in a wider sense. 

It's possible since my meta is not as diverse as I would hope and most don't have much when it comes to armies. I am traveling 2+ hours for this tournament so I am hoping to learn more about other armies and their composition. Reading and watching battle reports can only get me so far 😂.

I'll take a look at some larger tournaments. I know I looked at ETC lists though they were all post FAQs. What are some good tournaments to look at?

13 minutes ago, Finklelord said:

It's possible since my meta is not as diverse as I would hope and most don't have much when it comes to armies. I am traveling 2+ hours for this tournament so I am hoping to learn more about other armies and their composition. Reading and watching battle reports can only get me so far 😂.

I'll take a look at some larger tournaments. I know I looked at ETC lists though they were all post FAQs. What are some good tournaments to look at?

I think it will help, I learnt so much at the GW tournament and losing really does help alot and playing against as many armies as possible.

I tend to follow alot of players on Twitter. Such as Dan from AoS shorts and listen to the honestgamer podcast. They highlight alot of lists and what's doing well at the moment. 

19 hours ago, Finklelord said:

A few of questions for the good folks that I have been thinking about for the past couple of days and [still] trying to make a 1500 point list.

-Of the non-battletome artifacts what is the best to take? Any of them good on courtiers?

-Does a mix of Horrors and Flayers ever prove useful to anyone? Example a unit of 6 Horrors and a unit of 6 Flayers, or is it best to go one route? 

-Is the Ghoul King worth to fill points and to get an extra spell?

Thanks!

Doppelganger Cloak, aka, better Gristlegore (imo), Ethereal Amulet - for monsters. For courtiers I used to bring -3 rend artefact on Haunter Courtier if I knew there will be SCE on the tournament. Betrayer's Crown can also be good to slam those screens. Aetherquarts Brooch can be nice if you're going with the court instead of Feast Day, but I usually potatoed my return CP rolls so I stoped taking it. 

I think you can use both, but I haven't tried it much.

GK on foot is strange, I think if you can also take Balewind Vortex he can act as mini-regent and be a secondary support, but typicaly if I have 2 casters, I would rather take courtier instead of GK.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XReN said:

GK on foot is strange, I think if you can also take Balewind Vortex he can act as mini-regent and be a secondary support, but typicaly if I have 2 casters, I would rather take courtier instead of GK.

Never considered the vortex before! For it's points and abilities it' not half bad. 

My only reason to take a GK is if I am already running a Courtier and GKoTG and need an additional wizard and can't fit a AAR in or can't fit a second AAR in. 

So this weekend I played at EGGS (Element Games Grand Slam). I finished 9th with 3 wins, 2 losses and 8 out of the 10 hidden agendas.

The list I ran was:

Spoiler

Leaders
Abhorrant Archregent (240)
- General
- Trait: Dark Wizardy
- Artefact: The Dermal Robe
- Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)
- Artefact: The Ragged Cloak
- Lore of Madness: Blood Feast
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
Crypt Haunter Courtier (120)

Battleline
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
6 x Crypt Horrors (300)
6 x Crypt Horrors (300)

Battalions
Attendants at Court (110)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chalice of Ushoran (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 115

Game 1

Focal Points vs Skaven (Skryre)

This was brutalisation of the highest order, my opponent badly misdeployed, probably not understanding how Feeding Frenzy works, T1 the GKoTG chewed through 30 clan rats and a Verminlord Warpseer and then proceeded to work it's way down his line. Warplightning vortex is a pain in the backside, especially when they get a double turn but it never managed to finish off a horror unit and the Haunter got them back to full strength. T3 his 9 Stormfiends managed to popup and delete a unit of 6 horrors (his only unit kill of the game) before being double teamed by a buffed up Varghulf and the GKoTG to kill the whole unit in a single round. Result: Major Win and opponent tabled T3.

Game 2

Knife to the Heart vs Skaven (Pestilence)

Arguably the closest match of the weekend and one that has given me a new found love of Mystical terrain.  Turn 1 his screaming bell rolls a 12 and up comes a free Vermin lord. Said Vermin lord runs down the long edge of the table and charges into a unit of ghouls screening a unit of horrors. He goes elsewhere with his first attack in the round and the horrors pile in and kill the Vermin lord without any difficulty at all, much to my opponents surprise. Elsewhere 30 plague monks with a plague furnace(?) charge into the GKoTG who was stood on mystical terrain, with Unholy Vitality on himself (4+/5+/6+/6+) and managed a grand total of 3 wounds. The GKoTG promptly ate them all. A Vermin lord Corruptor and Thanquol advanced down the table edge to towards my objective, I had 6 horrors blocking their way but forgot to summon a Varghulf to give them character support. The Vermin lord Corruptor (with Ghyrstrike) minces them.

My opponent gets the double T2 into T3 and looks to secure the win. AAR, 20 ghouls and the GKoTG are in range of my objective. He charges the VLC and Thanquol into the 20 ghouls and AAR, here I think he made his mistake, he sent the VLC into the ghouls and Thanquol into the AAR. The VLC kills 18 of the ghouls and after a quick measure we discover that the GKoTG won't be in range to IP the ghouls. If he kills the AAR he's won. Thanquol whiffs, hard. He puts a single wound onto the AAR. I roll well for the chalice and most (all?) of the ghouls come back. My turn. GKoTG comes backwards, eats Thanquol and then the VLC, VLC is ofc Death Frenzied and so kills the GKoTG but it doesn't matter. 3 summoned Flayers with Varghulf support kill 30 clan rats, 4 vs screaming bell around the objective, it's mine. Result: Major Win and 1400 kill points

Game 3

Places of Arcane Power vs Stormcast Eternals (Shootcast 7th place finish)

This game effectively ended T2 and after that it was just me trying to score a few kill points. Even with the ragged cloak being double turned by 12 Vanguard Raptors and 3 ballistas is just insane. GKoTG, Haunter, Varghulf all died T1-2, along with 6 horrors, leaving me only the AAR who could score. It was short, it was brutal and I'm still not sure what to do about it on this mission, having to expose my characters to all that shooting, which can sit well out of my threat range is pretty brutal. Opponent was a total gent though so was fun even while getting brutalised. Result: Major Loss

Game 4

Scorched Earth vs Slaanesh (6th place finish)

I'd been hoping to avoid this match up, both the army and the player. I know him, I've played him before at tournaments/friendlies and I've never beaten him. Scorched Earth does give me by best shot though, the back objectives are only 9" from the short edge of the table, I can summon onto them. I'd played him the Friday night in a friendly, so we knew each other's lists and tactics. He out drops me so it's going to be his choice. I'm pretty sure he's going to make me take the first turn. I deploy aggressively in 2 lines but misdeploy my general. At some point in the deployment he surprising both me and himself, changes his strategy and decides to take the first turn. T1 he alpha's across the table, both Keepers, 5 hellstriders and a unit of 10 seekers. He fails one of his loci (so it does occasionally happen) so decides to kill my AAR first with a keeper. Which lets the horrors on the other side of the table have a shot at his 10 seekers, unfortunately my general is dead so I don't get the reroll hits any more but they still kill 7 of them (2 more go to battleshock). His second keeper kills some ghouls and about half the horror on that side of the table. My turn, the GKoTG screams off the rest of the hellstriders and between the ghouls and the horrors manage to take down one of his keepers, horrors on the other side finish off the seekers.

I get the double. Here I realise I've made a positioning mistake, the Haunter isn't quite in range to res the horrors on the other side of the table. Never mind. GKoTG moves over and does terrible things to a Contorted Epitome, letting me burn one of his objectives. Horrors on the bottom charge a Exalted Chariot, I have to pull them outside the 12" bubble of the Haunter but that's fine because they manage to tag another of his objectives and burn it. They don't do much to the Chariot and it kills a couple in retaliation. His T2 his remaining keeper moves up towards my GKoTG, summons another Keeper and 3 fiends (Slaanesh summon is broken folks). Keeper number 2 and the fiends fail their charges but Keeper number one goes in and predictably kills the GKoTG (just). Exalted Chariot finishes off the horrors.

If I win the priority he's going to be seriously on the back foot as I pull ahead on points but ofc, he gets the double. It's basically a mopping up exercise then, fiends kill ghouls, keeper kills horrors, keeper kills haunter. I've got 10 ghouls left and he's got 3 of my points. I shake his hand. We discussed the game afterwards. He made a big mistake T1 and I punished him hard for it but Slaanesh is such a forgiving army, all it takes is a 2+ to get you back in the game. This current list doesn't really have an answer to the keepers. I'm thinking Doppelganger Cloak instead of Ragged Cloak for this type of match up but I don't know. Horrors did most of the lifting this game even without the battalion. Result: Major Loss

Game 5

Duality of Death vs Fyreslayers

In an odd twist of fate my final opponent was one of my club mates and my regular opponent. He took the first turn and castled up on one objective, his magmadroth holding it backed up by 15 Hearthguard Berserkers, 10 + 5 Auric Hearthguard and a bunch of characters. On the other side he magma tunnels up a hero and 5 Aurics to grab the point on his next turn and dissuade me from it. My T1 GKoTG goes and takes a bite out of the Magmadroth but doesn't kill it, lava blood does a fair number of wounds back so it's all pretty even over there. On the other side I run up the 20 ghouls to tag the objective and keep the score level, I summon a Varghulf to support them and 3 Flayers behind the Aurics who predictably fail the charge, no loss there. I get the double, we both know where this is going. GKoTG finishes off the Magmadroth but doesn't take the point. Doesn't matter though, I've got him off it. I clear up 5 of the Aurics with horrors and the flayers make the charge into the Aurics on the other side and kill them. Don't kill the character but he's stuck where he is. Horrors go into the Hearthguard, this goes about as well as expected. I kill 5 and then he wipes the horrors out. His T2 the Hearthguard mince both the Haunter and the GkoTG but he has to, intentionally, sacrifice 4 of them to coherency rules to do it. They also don't kill the GKoTG in a single activation so he eats one nearby hero and wounds another enough that his death will finish the job. Game is basically over at this point. With his subby little dwarf legs he'll never make it to my objective and I'm a point ahead. I proceed to run a unit of 10 ghouls in a circle around a rock to keep them away from the Hearthguard for my hidden agenda but that's about it.

This was the only game where the ragged cloak made much of a difference. I know what Auric Hearthguard shooting can do to a monster, it isn't pretty so keeping the terrorghiest alive one extra turn was nice even if ultimately it made little difference. Result: Major Win

Overall thoughts

I really like the Attendant at Court battalion. Strangely in all the practise games I played it was the horrors that did all the heavy lifting, the GKoTG was there to be killed, as long as people are killing that they aren't killing the horrors but At EGGS itself in most of my wins it was the GKoTG who did the lifting. Horrors are good though, especially with the reroll and people will massively underestimate them, they killed a Vermin lord, a Keeper and scores of clanrats all without too much difficulty. Stick D3 extra attacks on them and they go from nasty to plain evil. Even heavy armour won't save a target from weight of dice.

The +2 to cast/unbind on the AAR was amazing, he'll cast his spells 90% of the time and has a decent shot at unbinding most things. I do have this crazy idea of giving him the Sword of Judgement though, for added hilarity making him a Gristlegore general...

The ghouls surprised me, I don't expect much from them and they never helped me in the games I won, but they did do a lot of damage in the games I lost, especially with D3 extra attacks, get them up to 5 or 6 attacks each and weight of dice starts to make an impact.

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hey @Karragon congrats on your results!

How did you liked your spells? I usually run different ones so I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Then for the shootcast - it is a rather tough match up to deal with, I had beaten somewhat similar list twice - Beastclaw Raiders with 4 Thundertusks, what I did was staying with my heroes THE HECK BACK so it's impossible to reach me (with shootcast it can mean that you have to go first, because monster's bases are too large to be out of range of ballista's rapid fire mode. And in both games I opened with buffed-up horde of ghouls with Chalice - they move up and anchor, very hard to shift and then they can charge in and tie up enemy's shooting units, so they can't shoot my monsters. And then my TG and ZD with GKs riding them proceed to make a bloody mess of everything on the table.

Edited by XReN