AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

Managed to get a single game in this weekend (who knew MTG tournaments take up table space). Got to go against my normal sparring partner good old Sylvaneth with the  the new battletome. My main goal for the game was to test out the GKoZD and King's Ghoul Battalion. 

I ran the following list:

Spoiler

Blisterskin

Leaders

Abhorrant Archregent - General

- Hellish Orator

- The Dermal Robe

- Deranged Transformation

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon

-Miasmal Shroud

- Razor-clawed

-Eye of Hysh

Crypt Ghast Courtier

6x Flayers

30x Ghouls

10x Ghouls

6x Horrors

King's Ghouls

Challice of Ushoran

Extra Command Points: 2

His list was the following from memory:

Spoiler

Durthu

Branchwych/wraith

Archbound guy who flies

30x Dryads

10x Dryads

10x Dryads

5x Spite-Revenants 

6x Hunters w/Swords

6x Hunters w/Swords

A battalion that I can't recall what does

Used the Glave that 6's cause additional hits.

I got turn one and zoomed up the Flayers, Horrors, and GKoZD. Summoned a Varghulf to harass their flank. Deranged Transformation went on the Horrors and FH got +3 attacks for the Flayers. 30x Ghouls just held the middle in anticipation for next turn. My luck took a dive with charges. Managed to roll 2" for the Flayers which rerolled into a 5. GKoZD also got a 2" charge and Horrors got 11" charge. Safe to say both Flayers and Horrors managed to knock out 40 Dryads with no losses. 

His turn went....very well. Though his magic was abysmal as he failed everything and Durthu's shooting killed a Horror. Charging saw the Hunters charge the Flayers and Horrors and Durthu into my GKoZD. Durthu manages to have the GK hit last. His 6 Hunters knocked my Flayers into last edition. I swung with my Horrors and kill one. His Hunters then kill my Horrors and Durthu brings the GKoZD down to 4 wounds. Luckily my GKoZD with FF barely managed to kill Durthu.

Ouch, ouch, ouch. My front line just got obliterated and a big hitter of mine is very wounded. Really wish Chalice was cast now. 

I managed to get turn again and I needed to manage some damage control. At this point I knew my AAR and 10x Ghouls would just be sitting on objectives starting into space. GKoZD manages to get a couple wounds back and his signature spell was successful. FH goes off and I get +3 attacks on my GKoZD. Varghulf goes for the Spites, and the Ghoul blob pushes forward to charge the Hunters. Charge time, Ghouls fail with double ones. Where did I see this before? GKoZD manages a fat double 6 and goes after his remaining heroes. Safe to say Varghulf kills the Spites and GKoZD gets his heroes. All he has remaining at this point is 11 total hunters and 10 Dryads on an objective. 

His Turn. He moves the 5 Hunters to go after my GKoZD and the other 6 for my Ghouls. Charge time. The 5 Hunters charge and...FAIL WITH DOUBLE ONES. Literally this game could not have been more awkward. He then decides to go after my GKoZD with his 6 Hunters. Somehow, somewhere the stars aligned properly only manged to bring down my GKoZD to ONE WOUND. I had 7 death saving throws to make and 6 wounds remaining. I needed two sixes to live and your boy does it. GKoZD removed the hunters from the face of the earth in retaliation. 

At this point we called it. (We weren't really keeping score to well since he was trying out his book for the first time).

Lessons I learned. 

-King's Ghouls ability never made it to play. My main reason for taking it was not worrying about battleshock for my ghouls but they never did anything other than take up space this game. 

-Hunters still hurt. With additional hits on 6's. Mortal wounds on 6's, AND rend with multi damage my Horrors and Flayers never stood a chance. 

-GKoZD. Wow where do I begin. LOVE IT. He may not be a combat beast like the Terrorgheist, but rerolling wound bubble for Flayers and Horrors is just amazing. Top it with some decent rend with his mount trait he can hold his own very well. 

-Horrors. I am starting to like them. With a Abhorrent near by and the wound bubble they can hit hard. 

Things that remain the same:

-Varghulf. Never disappoints me.  He can do his own thing and harass or support other units. Just amazing.

-Flayers. Forever will I take them. Mixed with Blisterskin and Deranged/Spectral they are amazing. I never rely on their screams to do extra damage. 

-Ghouls. They never fail me either. I think they have killed and annoyed more than my Flayers and Horrors combined. Coupled with the fact they come back so easily and throw literal dice buckets of attacks.

Stay tuned as this weekend there is a BBQ with plenty of gaming. Hopefully I will get a chance to play some Khorne. Gonna be 1500 points so I'll be posting my list soon!

Thanks for reading! 

Edited by Finklelord
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking for some guidance on writing up a list. I've not much experience playing flesh eaters yet. 

I've come from playing nurgle where I have a lot more starting wounds and wondering if I need to invest in an anvil unit(s)?

Mainly relying on the TG and ZD for damage put put with the horrors mopping up the rest.

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance  :)

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Court of Delusion - The Feast Day
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)
- General
- Trait: Savage Beyond Reason 
- Artefact: The Grim Garland 
- Lore of Madness: Blood Feast
- Mount Trait: Razor-clawed
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon (440)
- Artefact: The Dermal Robe 
- Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation
Abhorrant Archregent (240)
- Lore of Madness: Bonestorm
Crypt Ghast Courtier (60)

Battleline
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Units
6 x Crypt Horrors (300)

Battalions
King's Ghouls (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chalice of Ushoran (50)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 93

38 minutes ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

Looking for some guidance on writing up a list. I've not much experience playing flesh eaters yet. 

I've come from playing nurgle where I have a lot more starting wounds and wondering if I need to invest in an anvil unit(s)?

Mainly relying on the TG and ZD for damage put put with the horrors mopping up the rest.

Leaders
- General

Battleline
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Units
6 x Crypt Horrors (300)

Battalions
King's Ghouls (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chalice of Ushoran (50)

You can give 2 mount traits, thanks to the battalion. Give Gruesome bite to the TG and razor clawed to the dragon. 

Make sure to choose a legal trait for the general: you have picked the Gristlegore one.

Magic, I suggest Spectral host in the AR, as bonestorm is not very good (not at all).

54 minutes ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

Leaders
- General

Battleline
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Units
6 x Crypt Horrors (300)

Battalions
King's Ghouls (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chalice of Ushoran (50)

Whille the list is sort of okay, spells, traits and artefacts need complete overhaul.

First: Savage Beyond Reason only affects the rider and not the mount, the only 2 worthy command traits are dark wizardry on AAR and majestic horror on mounted GK.

Second: since SBR won't apply to TG and we won't use it - Gruesome Bite is a go-to mount trait for TG, you can also give another mount trait to your ZD since you have a battalion. For ZD I usually use Razor-clawed, whille auto 3 wound heal instead of d3 or maw damage re-roll can also work.

Third: whille grim garland can work in such list I would rather swap it to something that helps TG to survive, if you had more bodies I'd say go for garland and summon 2x3 Flayers, but it's crutial to summon 20 ghouls with your AAR, Dermal Robe should always be taken on AAR period, for reasons I'll cover next

Forth: spells, usually you want as much spell buffs as possible on AAR (that's why I run him with Dark Wizardry and Dermal Robe) and give him Deranged Transformation - DT and Ferocious Hunger are our most potent buffs, since you will have at least 2 units of knight you want to pull of big Transformation as often as possible. Also FH has a rather high casting value and that's why you want those buffs. Both mounted GKs have amazing signature spells that you will want to cast most of the time, so I usually give them Miasmal Shroud or Spectral Host, the later is used more as psycological weapon - "Yes, my killer-ball monsters can run and charge"

Edited by XReN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Glaurung said:

You can give 2 mount traits, thanks to the battalion. Give Gruesome bite to the TG and razor clawed to the dragon. 

Make sure to choose a legal trait for the general: you have picked the Gristlegore one.

Magic, I suggest Spectral host in the AR, as bonestorm is not very good (not at all).

1 hour ago, XReN said:

Whille the list is sort of okay, spells, traits and artefacts need complete overhaul.

First: Savage Beyond Reason only affects the rider and not the mount, the only 2 worthy command traits are dark wizardry on AAR and majestic horror on mounted GK.

Second: since SBR won't apply to TG and we won't use it - Gruesome Bite is a go-to mount trait for TG, you can also give another mount trait to your ZD since you have a battalion. For ZD I usually use Razor-clawed, whille auto 3 wound heal instead of d3 or maw damage re-roll can also work.

Third: whille grim garland can work in such list I would rather swap it to something that helps TG to survive, if you had more bodies I'd say go for garland and summon 2x3 Flayers, but it's crutial to summon 20 ghouls with your AAR, Dermal Robe should always be taken on AAR period, for reasons I'll cover next

Forth: spells, usually you want as much spell buffs as possible on AAR (that's why I run him with Dark Wizardry and Dermal Robe) and give him Deranged Transformation - DT and Ferocious Hunger are our most potent buffs, since you will have at least 2 units of knight you want to pull of big Transformation as often as possible. Also FH has a rather high casting value and that's why you want those buffs. Both mounted GKs have amazing signature spells that you will want to cast most of the time, so I usually give them Miasmal Shroud or Spectral Host, the later is used more as psycological weapon - "Yes, my killer-ball monsters can run and charge"

Thanks for all the help guys really useful :D

Right guys I have a doubles tournament in October and I'm looking for the meanest 1000 point list I can run with my mates Alarielle new battletome Gnarlroot sickness! 

I was thinking something along these two lists, but I know you Flesh eaters will scratch out something nasty or give some constructive feedback on what else I could do. 

Spoiler

- Grand Court: Gristlegore

Leaders
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- General
- Trait: Savage Strike 
- Artefact: Ghurish Mawshard 

Battleline
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
Gristlegore Royal Terrorgheist (300)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chalice of Ushoran (50)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 49

Spoiler

- Grand Court: Blisterskin

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Dark Wizardy 
- Artefact: Eye of Hysh 
Crypt Infernal Courtier (120)

Battleline
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)

Behemoths
Royal Terrorgheist (300)

Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 51

Got the usual summons 20 Ghouls, 2 Varghulfs, Got a Ghoul king on TG if you think that's better. Also have 5 dire wolves and all the endless spells.

Hit me with your deathly ideas or favourite lists and I am not sorry for my ghoulish puns! 

7 hours ago, Blisterfeet said:

- Grand Court: Blisterskin

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Dark Wizardy 
- Artefact: Eye of Hysh 
Crypt Infernal Courtier (120)

Battleline
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)

Behemoths
Royal Terrorgheist (300)

Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 51

I'm all for Blisterskin and Flayers. Couple of things to help.

1. Abhorrant needs to have Hellish Orator as his trait as it's required for Blisterskin.

2. I would give the Eye of Hysh to the Infernal since he is the one going to be with the Flayers and presumably the Terrorgheist. They would both benefit from that rather than someone who would more than likely be sitting on his throne. 

3. Min Flayer squads can be rough. They are much easier to kill than a unit of 6. Your opponent getting the double turn will easily be able to wipe them if not placed properly. 

I guess a lot of this hinges on your partners list. Do you know it by chance?

Just my thoughts!

Edited by Finklelord

7 minutes ago, Finklelord said:

I'm all for Blisterskin and Flayers. Couple of things to help.

1. Abhorrant needs to have Hellish Orator as his trait as it's required for Blisterskin.

2. I would give the Eye of Hysh to the Infernal since he is the one going to be with the Flayers and presumably the Terrorgheist. They would both benefit from that rather than someone who would more than likely be sitting on his throne. 

3. Min Flayer squads can be rough. They are much easier to kill than a unit of 6. Your opponent getting the double turn will easily be able to wipe them if not placed properly. 

I guess a lot of this hinges on your partners list. Do you know it by chance?

Just my thoughts!

Oops my bad @Finklelord with the artefact. Yeah makes sense to move that. The min flayers are a risk in that list. I totally know what you mean about 3's from game experience was just trying to get the points to fit for Blisterskin.

Just trying to min/max 1000 points.

Friends list

Order - Sylvaneth

+ Leader +

Alarielle the Everqueen Throne of Vines

Branchwraith  Regrowth, General, chalice and nurtured trait.

+ Battleline +

Tree-Revenants x5

Tree-Revenants x5

+Gnarlroot

+ Malign Sorcery +

Endless Spell: Gladewyrm

Endless Spell: Quicksilver Swords

Endless Spell: Vengeful Skullroot

Will have summons of dyrads, treelords and kurnoths depending on what the need is.

38 minutes ago, Blisterfeet said:
Spoiler

Oops my bad @Finklelord with the artefact. Yeah makes sense to move that. The min flayers are a risk in that list. I totally know what you mean about 3's from game experience was just trying to get the points to fit for Blisterskin.

Just trying to min/max 1000 points.

Friends list

Order - Sylvaneth

+ Leader +

Alarielle the Everqueen Throne of Vines

Branchwraith  Regrowth, General, chalice and nurtured trait.

+ Battleline +

Tree-Revenants x5

Tree-Revenants x5

+Gnarlroot

+ Malign Sorcery +

Endless Spell: Gladewyrm

Endless Spell: Quicksilver Swords

Endless Spell: Vengeful Skullroot

Will have summons of dyrads, treelords and kurnoths depending on what the need is.

As much as it pains me to say. You could run Feast Day and make the Infernal the General with either Dark Acolyte or Cruel Taskmaster. Then giving the AAR the robe for better spell casting. 

Oddly enough my friend also plays Sylvaneth and we have done a doubles as well and will be attending a doubles tournament soon. 

I don't know much about Sylvaneth, but I can already see a mini combo.  

Spites+Screams work well. We have done it in the past and if your opponent doesn't expect it does wonders. I've always said though never rely on screams (mainly Flayers) to do the heavy lifting. If they get a wound or 3 I am generally happy. I've probably screamed only once or twice in combat though. The enemy never survives long enough! 

Just watch out for those forests! They can and will hurt you 😂

• Like 1

I havnt played few yet but have a campaign game I need to play them in. I was wondering what a decent 1000 point and 1500 point list would look like for flex. Any help would be appreciated. We’re using this campaign to Vera up for 2k point tournaments 

If I was looking to start FEC on the cheap, how would you go about building it?

3x Start Collecting, Archregent, Throne, Endless Spells? Extra unit of Ghouls to summon?

Resulting in 2-3 flying monsters, core of 3x Ghouls, bunch of flying big guys?

Just noob things.

10 hours ago, Finklelord said:

As much as it pains me to say. You could run Feast Day and make the Infernal the General with either Dark Acolyte or Cruel Taskmaster. Then giving the AAR the robe for better spell casting. 

Oddly enough my friend also plays Sylvaneth and we have done a doubles as well and will be attending a doubles tournament soon. 

I don't know much about Sylvaneth, but I can already see a mini combo.  

Spites+Screams work well. We have done it in the past and if your opponent doesn't expect it does wonders. I've always said though never rely on screams (mainly Flayers) to do the heavy lifting. If they get a wound or 3 I am generally happy. I've probably screamed only once or twice in combat though. The enemy never survives long enough! 

Just watch out for those forests! They can and will hurt you 😂

You think Feast day is the best way to run it interesting. I thought people would be advocating jamming Gristlegore or Blisterskin. 

Not too worried about trees as I will be the hammer as such and he will big down one side with ES and Trees and I will punch a hole where we feel appropriate (plan on paper anyways). Against equally fighty armies plan on zoning and picking off groups with summons. 

Sorry this might seem like a stupid question, I've never had an army where I have felt this would be appropriate before until starting flesh eaters.

Can a spell be cast more than once in a given phase? This also goes for a models signature spell as well as the generic ones from the lore of madness?

My brain is telling me no since the new rules were released but just wanted to double check (don't have a copy of the rules to hand)

Hi guys, I've bought 2 FEC SC kit and I've built 19 Crypt Ghouls and 1 Crypt Ghast Courtier. I have a lot of spare parts and I'm wondering: can I build another Crypt Ghoul, maybe using the vampire lord body? Is it against the rules? Thank you

1 minute ago, tione said:

Hi guys, I've bought 2 FEC SC kit and I've built 19 Crypt Ghouls and 1 Crypt Ghast Courtier. I have a lot of spare parts and I'm wondering: can I build another Crypt Ghoul, maybe using the vampire lord body? Is it against the rules? Thank you

Conversions of all kinds are okay as long as your opponent is okay with it.

In your case I'd recommend using your courtier as just Crypt Ghast (Ghoul sergeant, not a Hero) and build a Courtier of the spare parts. I made mine from blackstone fortress's Ur-Ghoul

9 hours ago, Blisterfeet said:

You think Feast day is the best way to run it interesting. I thought people would be advocating jamming Gristlegore or Blisterskin. 

Not too worried about trees as I will be the hammer as such and he will big down one side with ES and Trees and I will punch a hole where we feel appropriate (plan on paper anyways). Against equally fighty armies plan on zoning and picking off groups with summons. 

I don't know if it's the best, but at lower points the free FF will help save command points. Though with Blisterskin you have a 50% of gaining a command point so it may balance it out. 

• Thanks 1

I can help you with this.

Each attack is a separate "Attack Sequence".  For identical attacks we can roll all the dice together, but each of them is an entirely separate thing.  Each 6 To Hit will do 6 MW, and when they say "attack sequence ends", they mean for those 6s, you do the 6MW and then don't move on to rolling To Wound.  But all non-6s you will either miss with (and possibly reroll, hello Gruesome Bite!) or hit with, and then roll the hits To Wound like usual.

• Like 2