AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

2 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Have you playtested it?

Of course not... 🥳 

marriage in June, then honeymoon and now upcoming of Wacken Open Air, real life is killing me

But I used 2x6 flayers in a feast day list and they wrecked face quite nicely.

spectral host really send them flying, ferocious hunger turns the dial to 11 and the frenzy wipes out the rest. Chalice keeps them kinda save, varghulf regenerates casualties. 

List should be pretty fast, if AAR summons a second varghulf also pretty sturdy. How is fares against crazy cheese, I don’t know.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Honk said:

Wacken Open Air

OFFTOPIC but I had to say it.... I envy you! ahahahahahah

Wish I could go too!

11 minutes ago, Honk said:

spectral host really send them flying, ferocious hunger turns the dial to 11 and the frenzy wipes out the rest. Chalice keeps them kinda save, varghulf regenerates casualties. 

Should work fine... @Kimbo doesn't need to be afraid to use it!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Masake said:

doesn't need to be afraid to use it!

With all those lists flying around here, done wrong you’ll get your trampled underfoot...

tricky decisions are always, can I survive that impact or can I crush that unit. I don’t think min. flayers are worth it, so 20 ghouls and 6 flayers. 

Gristlegore gkotg is interesting at 1k...AAR, gkotg, 2x10 ghouls, chalice...

but the gheist is just a one trick pony, if your opponent has anything against it, you’re done for.

First of all thanks for the replies. 

23 hours ago, XReN said:

Well first, if it is a tournament - I wouldn't participate because F those restrictions...

22 hours ago, Honk said:

Kinda depends, if they‘ll focus on the narrative, it might still be interesting.

but no hero on mount AND no feeding frenzy?! Really sounds like butthurt supreme 😅

are Bloodthirsters of insensate rage banned too?

I would rather not go into semantics, I wrote tournament because it is a two day event with judges, at least 20 tables and prizes/awards at the end.

As for the restrictions I understand the feelings but the whole thing is centered around bringing more people to the hobby and encourage them to expand their collections (hence the 1500p)  as the current player base is extremely limited. Just imagine going against a list that can very easily table you on the second turn (you know it happens, and it does many times).  Even long time players feel sour after experiencing that.  

Turning back to restrictions, I only listed the ones that affect me, most of the current "meta" armies have similar limitations added to them.

23 hours ago, XReN said:

And even changing TG in your list for 6 horrors would be better.

I had some trial battles yesterday and I must agree with you, although being a great distraction, a normal Gheist did no more than 7-8 wounds with feeding frenzy included during one of my games which can easily be achieved with a buffed unit of flayers. 

I might change the list around to a Blisterskin one with 2x6 Flayers and a big blob of ghouls.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, romhi said:

only listed the ones that affect me, most of the current "meta" armies have similar limitations added to them.

That’s a different thing then, if they try to tone done the waac style, might get the casuals back at the table. And maybe show people than Funtime might be had without your opponent crying 🥃🥳👍

there you might even think about a trolling horde list...

10 hours ago, romhi said:

I wrote tournament because it is a two day event with judges

To be honest, most of times I see those ****** restrictions, they are implemented in such a poor state that make one army extremely bad while making others super overpowered!

It is simple, do you really think that a small group will have the same structure than the GW Dev team, bunch of testers, feedback everyday to try to make armies more even in power? The rules, as they are, are the most competitive/even and fair that we will find!

Usually what our group does to encourage those more casual, or starting the hobby, is to make a few adjusts that not impact the "main rules":
1 - List Explanation is mandatory and with details (It is some sort of pre-match step).
2 - First time and Newbies being paired between them in the 1st round as well only Veterans being paired in the 1st round.
3 - Zero restrictions for non painted model (For those that are still learning how to paint).
4 - Acceptance  for "Count As" and/or "Proxy" models as long it is an low amount (Some new guys usually misses 1 unit or 1 hero that are good for their army).
5 - Prize more evenly distributed (Not only for Top1/3).
6 - Not releasing the complete rank, just Top 1 and 2. (Final table duel).

But there are bunch of ways TO can do to encourage new players and those that are not competitive players.... besides changing main rules that make the game fair for every army!

And if its has prize, judge and rules, it is a tournament! I'd never play with such restrictions besides some for fun stuff that has no prize and judges involved!

But.... that is only my point of view!

Edited by Masake
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Masake said:

Summary: It’s about the community

Well said Masake.

Before the FLGS closed down (the landlord wanted the space for family so he hiked the rent astronomically) we were trying different formats and scoring approaches to our 40k/AoS leagues with the focus being on the community and not a competition for who can best ruin the experience for the swag.  We were just about to try a narrative map campaign where the map didn’t determine battles but both did affect scoring and prize support.

Even taking into consideration the plethora of materials GW provides on game Match options there’s a near infinite number of options.  The only observed limits locally are imagination, experience, and a group happy to discus it.

Has anyone had success with running battalions other than Ghoul Patrol? I've been looking into doing Royal Mordant, but I always run into the problem of not having 3+ battlelines. 

My typical lists run AAR, GKoTG, and Flayers, but I am trying to branch out with more bodies.

Second question. How good is GKoTG and GKoZD with large Knight units? Got a couple games this weekend I a wanna try them out supporting knights.

6 hours ago, Finklelord said:

Has anyone had success with running battalions other than Ghoul Patrol? I've been looking into doing Royal Mordant, but I always run into the problem of not having 3+ battlelines. 

My typical lists run AAR, GKoTG, and Flayers, but I am trying to branch out with more bodies.

Second question. How good is GKoTG and GKoZD with large Knight units? Got a couple games this weekend I a wanna try them out supporting knights.

I'm going to tinker with King's Ghouls for my go-to tournament list, haven't played it yet

I also tried Attendants at Court as my narrative event list running as Hollowmourne court and it was decent and good fun

This weekend I had a game with Blisterskin Royal Mordants and was blown away by how fast it is, but the game was against not very experienced skaven player so can't tell how actually good it is, there can be some tweaks and maybe more support pieces instead of TG
Here is the list:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Blisterskin

Leaders
Abhorrant Archregent (240)
- General
- Trait: Hellish Orator 
- Artefact: The Dermal Robe 
- Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- Artefact: Eye of Hysh 

Battleline
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
6 x Crypt Horrors (300)
6 x Crypt Flayers (340)

Behemoths
Royal Terrorgheist (300)

Battalions
Royal Mordants (120)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

In my experience if you want to focus on supporting knights you need ZD, he summons Varghulf and casts rerolls to wound. GKoZD with razor-sharp claws (or whatever it called) mount trait makes a great combo with Horrors, he gives them rerolls of everything and brings good rend to the table to crack open things horrors can't. And I think about Flayers as more independent attacking unit that needs courtier and + attacks spell at best.
If you need another threat, it's TG.

Hey folks, I am really struggling with building a list. Despite having only a few models to choose from writing a list is proving more difficult than expected.

What are peoples thoughts on ARoZD? I really like the models and  the idea of summoning a courtier. How ever is it better to summon knights with the terrorgheist variant and save a few points?

This is the list I was thinking of aiming towards:

- Grand Court: Court of Delusion - The Feast Day

Leaders
- Lore of Madness: Blood Feast
Crypt Haunter Courtier (120)
Crypt Haunter Courtier (120)
- General
- Trait: Cruel Taskmaster 
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite

Battleline
6 x Crypt Horrors (300)
6 x Crypt Horrors (300)
30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)

Battalions
Abattoir (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chalice of Ushoran (50)

Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 111

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys :)

12 hours ago, XReN said:

- Grand Court: Blisterskin

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Hellish Orator 
- Artefact: The Dermal Robe 
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- Artefact: Eye of Hysh 

Battleline
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
6 x Crypt Horrors (300)
6 x Crypt Flayers (340)

Behemoths
Royal Terrorgheist (300)

Battalions
Royal Mordants (120)

Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 127

How did you do with limited spells? I guess it's not terrible as you don't have endless spells to worry and just casting Deranged and FH all day.

This seems crazy fast and I love it. I've always wanted to run knight heavy list, with a blob of Ghouls and some form of Terrorgheist and this list nails it on the head. 

Plus as much as people complain I do love how the Varghulf looks 😂

1 minute ago, Finklelord said:

I guess it's not terrible as you don't have endless spells to worry and just casting Deranged and FH all day.

Yeah, pretty much like that, but again, I only played 1 game with this list and not very competetive one.

On 7/22/2019 at 6:46 PM, Kimbo said:

Varghulf (General,Dark wizardry)

What is dark wizardry? Or do you mean dark acolyte to make him a wizard? I'm confused. Because then it is illegal as a Blisterkin army since the trait is fixed. 

Thanks for all the help! 

3 minutes ago, Finklelord said:

Plus as much as people complain I do love how the Varghulf looks

Do they?!? I find him quite awesome, Bram Stokers Dracula like, from the 90s

the lack of chalice is tough though...

2 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Or do you mean dark acolyte to make him a wizard? I'm confused. Because then it is illegal as a Blisterkin army since the trait is fixed. 

Yes and sadly yes... so maybe infernal and feast day with dark alcolyt

58 minutes ago, Honk said:

Yes and sadly yes... so maybe infernal and feast day with dark alcolyt

Ok! And buy a cp for the remaining 50 points left over? 

If I make my wulf the general and put DA on him he gets the spell ( black hunger) what is that? I'm probably blind, but I can not find it! 

Edited by Kimbo

24 minutes ago, XReN said:

Yeah, pretty much like that, but again, I only played 1 game with this list and not very competetive one.

I have yet to play in an actual competitive environment. Most of my group talks about strategies for playing their armies but never really throw dice when it comes time. 

21 minutes ago, Honk said:

Do they?!? I find him quite awesome, Bram Stokers Dracula like, from the 90s

People in my area do! Maybe because it's an older model and weighs a metric ton so they don't like him (mine is pewter). 

Edited by Finklelord
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

Also what battalions are deemed points efficient and worth while?

It really depends on what set up you have, but generally good battalions give you your battlelines, so Ghoul Patrol is universaly the most point efficient, for my personal preference King's Ghouls is second best because I love me some unbreackable ghoul brick. Deadwatch is good when you rock Infernal General or Blisterskin, any Horror battalions are good in Hollowmourne and with Haunter General, Menagerie is good in Gristlegore, Royal Mordants have one of the best abilities, but the least point efficient. And Royal Family is just meh, I feel it's more for 2500 points games where you have more points for courtiers and doesn't allow you to reduce your drops as much as other battalions.

Edited by XReN
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Finklelord said:

People in my area do! Maybe because it's an older model and weighs a metric ton so they don't like him (mine is pewter). 

Varghulf really shows his age, but still is a great model, I wish GW made a new sculpt of him with the same look

Besides the previous list. 

Anyone else used to playing flesh eaters competitive at 1000p? 

If so, what do you play? 

I own pretty much everything so I can build alot of lists! 

Edited by Kimbo

9 minutes ago, Finklelord said:

I have yet to play in an actual competitive environment. Most of my group talks about strategies for playing their armies but never really throw dice when it comes time. 

Well, GKoTG is the safest bet really, but it's up to you, the most important is to make good decisions on the table. 

3 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

Also what battalions are deemed points efficient and worth while?

This would really help with my list building :P

Take in consideration it is my own opinion and test:

- Cannibal Court: Not usable in normal settings (1/10);
- Royal Family: 2 Ghoul Kings (foot) is an huge investment for such a simple bonus (3/10);
- Attendants at Court: Interesting for Horrors List, and might be amazing with GKoZD spell. Problem is that Hollowmourne is overwhelming and Haunter cant be the general due to Battalion restriction (5/10);
- Deadwatch: Amazing way to give you an extra artefact and lower your drops when playing Flayers as Battleline.  The bonus is not amazing, due to not being able to feeding frenzy but we are talking about the possibility for a buffed Flayers to attack 3 times in a single turn. (9/10);
- Abattoir: Bad bonus, fell short when comparing with Attedants and/or Kings Ghouls with almost the same set of units (2/10);
- Ghoul Patrol: Not as good as it used to be, but still has its value. It is still a bit expensive but use units that are used as battleline tax, so it easy to do it (8/10);
- King's Ghoul: Awesome bonus if using mass ghouls, easy to make, and can be made using only battleline in Hollow or Feast Day with Haunt being General. (6/10);
- Royal Mordants: Interesting concept, but a lot o mixed bags in it. If you need movement, go Blistersking and /or Deranged Spell. The way units are used in it never fulfill a battleline tax. (4/10);
- Royal Menagerie: Good bonus and awesome way to lower your drops and get a 2nd artefact in a Gristlegore List. With the nerf to GG, its lost a bit of value (7/10).

*Tried not to repeat the same grade just so it became easily place in a ranked format. But there are Battalions that are close to value that should have the same grade.

Edited by Masake

26 minutes ago, Masake said:

Take in consideration it is my own opinion and test:

- Cannibal Court: Not usable in normal settings (1/10);
- Royal Family: 2 Ghoul Kings (foot) is an huge investment for such a simple bonus (3/10);
- Attendants at Court: Interesting for Horrors List, and might be amazing with GKoZD spell. Problem is that Hollowmourne is overwhelming and Haunter cant be the general due to Battalion restriction (5/10);
- Deadwatch: Amazing way to give you an extra artefact and lower your drops when playing Flayers as Battleline.  The bonus is not amazing, due to not being able to feeding frenzy but we are talking about the possibility for a buffed Flayers to attack 3 times in a single turn. (9/10);
- Abattoir: Bad bonus, fell short when comparing with Attedants and/or Kings Ghouls with almost the same set of units (2/10);
- Ghoul Patrol: Not as good as it used to be, but still has its value. It is still a bit expensive but use units that are used as battleline tax, so it easy to do it (8/10);
- King's Ghoul: Awesome bonus if using mass ghouls, easy to make, and can be made using only battleline in Hollow or Feast Day with Haunt being General. (6/10);
- Royal Mordants: Interesting concept, but a lot o mixed bags in it. If you need movement, go Blistersking and /or Deranged Spell. The way units are used in it never fulfill a battleline tax. (4/10);
- Royal Menagerie: Good bonus and awesome way to lower your drops and get a 2nd artefact in a Gristlegore List. With the nerf to GG, its lost a bit of value (7/10).

*Tried not to repeat the same grade just so it became easily place in a ranked format. But there are Battalions that are close to value that should have the same grade.

Thank you very much, this has given me a lot to think about!

Really useful right up :)