AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

Back again and now of local store players have finally gotten either into or back into AoS from 40K. Gonna play a couple games this weekend at 1500 points and was looking for advice! 

Our local meta looks something like:

Spoiler

Legions of Nagash

Idoneth Deepkin

Skaven

Seraphon

Savage Orks 

Sylvaneth

and a few others who haven't made up their minds

I plan to run the following seeing some success with my previous 1000 point list. 

Keep in mind I like my Flayers even though I am not sure they are the greatest. 

Spoiler

Abhorrant Archregent

-Dermal Robe

-Deranged Transformation

Abhorrant Archregent

-Spectral Host

GKoTG

-Gruesome Bite

-Blood Feast

Crypt Infernal Courtier 

-General

-Cruel Taskmaster

Flayers x 6

Ghouls x 10

Ghouls x 10

Chalice

Plan on summoning 20 more Ghouls and a Varghulf and probably another 3x Flayers. Obviously depends on what mission and opponent. 

Previously going very aggression has been about 50/50 with actually working so the plan is to either take turn one and try to snip priority targets or move into position and see what happens with the double turn. More than likely if I go second, which with this many drops is a good possibility, hold and counter their movement and secure objectives for the late game. Summon my boys to their flanks and try to provoke them with non-worthwhile  charges. 

Any obvious flaws other than my love for Flayers? I feel like I am missing something important...

Thanks! 

• LOVE IT! 2

8 hours ago, Finklelord said:

More than likely if I go second, which with this many drops is a good possibility, 

Totally different around here, except crazy shooting (but even then).

really like the list, two major threats in a 1k list and the AAR abuse, trés chic like the French men would say...

you could go full ****** since the infernal is general and play 2x6 flayers on a feast day and summon in two varghulf... hyperaggressive but tasty.

Since 1k requires only 2 BLine you could also combine the squishy min ghoulsquads, but preferences I guess, more flexible this way on the objective game

FOR THE LADY!!!

• Like 2

Thrown toghether a Meeting Engagements list, still don't have a GHB on hands and afraid that new terrain rules will mess things up, since the plan is to put Throne where it will be accesible by AAR in Spearhead and GK in Rearguard

Also I choose the Spectral Host + Crusading Army because if I roll 4+ on a run roll it will be better than Deranged Transformation for my Flayers, it will also make summons charges more viable and I hope that with low sized units I'll have enough damage to score VPs for killing units even without Feast Day

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Court of Delusion - Crusading Army

Spearhead
Abhorrant Archregent (200)
- General
- Trait: Dark Wizardy 
- Artefact: The Dermal Robe 
- Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)

Main Body
Varghulf Courtier (160)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Rearguard
Abhorrant Ghoul King (140)
- Lore of Madness: Miasmal Shroud

Total: 990 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 55

12 hours ago, Honk said:

really like the list, two major threats in a 1k list and the AAR abuse, trés chic like the French men would say...

I guess that brings up a question when I was playing with the list in the Warscroll Builder on GW. Does a 1500 list require 2 or 3 Battlelines? Making the list I see you either pick Vanguard and add 500 points or Battlehost and subtract 500 points. Is it a gentleman's agreement? Or am I missing something obvious. If it's in the rule book you can just say the page reference 😊. Make me learn to read better haha.  

I have definitely come to love the double AAR and throwing in a GKoTG will just making everything even better! 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Finklelord said:

I guess that brings up a question when I was playing with the list in the Warscroll Builder on GW. Does a 1500 list require 2 or 3 Battlelines? Making the list I see you either pick Vanguard and add 500 points or Battlehost and subtract 500 points. Is it a gentleman's agreement? Or am I missing something obvious. If it's in the rule book you can just say the page reference 😊. Make me learn to read better haha.  

I have definitely come to love the double AAR and throwing in a GKoTG will just making everything even better! 

Yeah, 1500 points format does not exist in AoS, so you should houserule it

On 6/25/2019 at 11:41 PM, Gwendar said:

@ByronicHero Chalice could be, but I feel that with the battleline limitations of Meeting Engagements, I don't see many player's (including us) bringing enough bodies for the Chalice to be properly worth it... at least as far as my meta is concerned, though they could help with the DoK players around here since they don't have too many more options. I picked a heavier-handed list to hit harder throughout the game as needed. That said, if you want to bring a more Elite list with Knights you probably have enough points leftover to throw it in there in most cases.

I might take along a second TG and try both. Your list hedges better against the scenarios that do not have the rearguard last. Having 10 ghouls wander onto the field won't feel the best. I understand your point with Chalice, but I think even if it is healing 4 or 5 a turn that is fine. It will also auto-win the one objective map I'd imagine. 

• Like 1

Hey folks, I have never played death (not since WHFB 6th ed) and wanted to get some advice on building a list.

I wanted to start with 2 start collecting boxes as I love the zombie dragon/ terror ghiest.

Apart from that what would be other worthwhile purchases to get me up to 2k points? Are the endless spells/terrain a worthwhile purchase?

I'm sure this gets asked many times on here I couldn't find a link to a good starting guide.

Thanks in advance :)

Depends on what you want but a 3rd SC box should be a nice starting point.

A warghulf also.

More ghouls. (1 box). 

If so, you have 3 TG/ZD, 2*3 knights+ at least one of each courtier and 50 ghouls.

Kitbash an archregent with bits. of the unused knight.

From there, you can see if you orient your army on Knights /ghouls (horde)/or biggies.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

Wise words... after building those kits, you can start building 500-1000 point lists and test the waters, what style is best for you.

19 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

Are the endless spells/terrain a worthwhile purchase?

The throne let’s your Reget or king on foot call back up for free. Especially with the 1 extra cp limit in the new ghb19 that is a solid must have if you field such a model... and the Regent is very point efficient.

from the endless spells, the chalice is solid for the grind and some extra healing, very good if one side or both has/have a horde, since the effect is triggered for slain models... 

the palisades are a nice road block or flank denial, but shackles cover more ground for only slightly more points.

the stampede is tricky... it could dish out a lot of wounds, but as with all predatory spells your opponent can make it move directly back into your lines. Also the base of it is pretty huge, so you’re not really able to position it freely. Overflight INTO the enemies lines often won’t fit, as thought to be cool on paper. Terrain also blocks off a lot of placing possibilities.

on top of that, ALL our casters bring their own solid spell... vitality; M/B/F Hunger all very good.

Then on top you can choose other solid spells from the lore... host, Transformation, feast.

WHO is going to cast the spell?!? 

Or recast if the opponent decides to ban it?

chalice is powerful enough in the right settings, but the others...

On 6/29/2019 at 2:40 PM, GeneralZero said:

A warghulf also.

More ghouls. (1 box). 

If so, you have 3 TG/ZD, 2*3 knights+ at least one of each courtier and 50 ghouls.

Kitbash an archregent with bits. of the unused knight.

From there, you can see if you orient your army on Knights /ghouls (horde)/or biggies.

What knights are these sorry?

Thanks though, I wasnt sure if each courtier was necessary, or whether one would work better than the other.

I'd rather have one of each as I love painting so more variety in my models is definitely better :)

You can do all that you want, including having options for summoning, with the following

• 3x SC box
  • 1x Carrion Empire (if you can get your hands on it...  otherwise you'll want the equivalent in individual unit boxes)
  • 2x Crypt Ghouls
  • You can turn one of the sets of 3 Knights into Haunter, Infernal, and Varghulf courtiers.
  • Beg or borrow a single extra Ghoul from somewhere (or do what I did, and use a very cheap Reaper Bones body with excess Ghoul head, arms, and accent bits) to get a Ghast courtier.

Leaves you with 3 monsters, 4x3 Knights of your choice, 90 ghouls, archregent, and one of each courtier.  It's enough to be able to do a nice 2000pt list (with a choice of many battalions), and have summoning reserves of courtiers, Knights, and ghouls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2019 at 10:11 PM, amysrevenge said:

You can do all that you want, including having options for summoning, with the following

• 3x SC box
  • 1x Carrion Empire (if you can get your hands on it...  otherwise you'll want the equivalent in individual unit boxes)
  • 2x Crypt Ghouls
  • You can turn one of the sets of 3 Knights into Haunter, Infernal, and Varghulf courtiers.
  • Beg or borrow a single extra Ghoul from somewhere (or do what I did, and use a very cheap Reaper Bones body with excess Ghoul head, arms, and accent bits) to get a Ghast courtier.

Leaves you with 3 monsters, 4x3 Knights of your choice, 90 ghouls, archregent, and one of each courtier.  It's enough to be able to do a nice 2000pt list (with a choice of many battalions), and have summoning reserves of courtiers, Knights, and ghouls.

Thanks very much, this is perfect :D will be my first personal "hoard army" so looking forward to the painting aspect of things.

50 minutes ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

Thanks very much, this is perfect :D will be my first personal "hoard army" so looking forward to the painting aspect of things.

Good luck with painting them hoards, have been assembling my another 50 ghouls this weekend and the sence of dread never left me whille I've been doing it :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

Thank god I will be doing most of the base coating etc with the air brush :D

Same here, first 50 ghouls were done with Caliban Green spray and airbrush highlights, there still was a huge amount of brush work with bones, wood, cloth and hair of those guys though

Now I'm going to do 10 with method used previously and another 40 with contrast paints. I'll start by comparing time spent and results achieved by painting 10 models with each method, then I'll finish the rest 30 ghouls with contrast. 

@XReN @ReAnimate Studios just finishing my army (with 30 ghouls) with contrast paint.

I have found contrast a joy to work with being not the most skilled painter and the end results once you get the hang of using it are quite good. 

I also like using contrast and then picking details out with base/layer on bigger models speeds up the process. 

Just got a AKoTG, 2 Varghiests and Charnel Throne to finish for GW tourny end of month. 

• Thanks 1

I'm going to try do a game of thrones, army of the night king theme for my FEC. 

Havnt decided on colours etc I will be using but I will be going for a grey/blue skin with some purple/reds for contrast. 

No idea how I am going to put these colours into practice yet. Just waiting on the first few models I have ordered to arrive.

If anyone has seen an army themed like this before if you could send me a link I would really appreciate it :)

On 6/30/2019 at 3:11 PM, amysrevenge said:

• 3x SC box
  • 2x Crypt Ghouls

Solid advice.  I started with 2 SC, 1 Carrion Empire, 3 Ghoul boxes, and a Varghulf Courtier box. I'm about to get another SC box but I've been faring just fine so far.

Edited by Keggers

8 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

I'm going to try do a game of thrones, army of the night king theme for my FEC. 

Havnt decided on colours etc I will be using but I will be going for a grey/blue skin with some purple/reds for contrast. 

No idea how I am going to put these colours into practice yet. Just waiting on the first few models I have ordered to arrive.

If anyone has seen an army themed like this before if you could send me a link I would really appreciate it :)

Not sure how much this helps, but if you want some fluff you could say they are from Asshai or the "Shadow Lands". There is a city called Stygai that could work into the old Strigoi. There isn't much to go off of but it gives off a Flesh Eater Court/Necromancy vibe with odd creatures lurking and not much life there. 

Slightly new topic - Tenebrous Court. 

I had a great time playing two games with my Spiderfang army with a Tenebrous Court mercenary ally.  One Archregent, three Horrors.  First game I summoned 20 ghouls to hold an objective (which they did), second game was Scorched Earth and I summoned three Flayers into the backfield on T2 and they burned objectives on T2 and T3.  It was glorious.  I got to throw the Horrors into a trio of Varanguard, with the Archregent buff spell at +3A (and him standing nearby for the hit reroll) and they killed all three pretty handily.

It's pretty nice to have a self-contained, self-buffing contingent that can actually get some stuff done, while the main force is off doing their own buffing and coordinating.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Finklelord said:

Not sure how much this helps, but if you want some fluff you could say they are from Asshai or the "Shadow Lands". There is a city called Stygai that could work into the old Strigoi. There isn't much to go off of but it gives off a Flesh Eater Court/Necromancy vibe with odd creatures lurking and not much life there. 

Awesome, is there more info on this in the malign sorcery book?