AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

2 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

I believe it is now legal

I too went with the „mount don’t count“ argument once and got wrecked...

so I‘m cautiously optimistic about your claims, makes sense to me, but as I said, similar wording and a very clear „no way“ in the FAQ...

6 hours ago, Honk said:

I too went with the „mount don’t count“ argument once and got wrecked...

so I‘m cautiously optimistic about your claims, makes sense to me, but as I said, similar wording and a very clear „no way“ in the FAQ...

I would have said it's not when reading the FEC battletome battalions because they specify 2 different GKs, but it's totally clear in Core Rules that subheadings don't count, and GKTG is clearly a Ghoul King, with terrorgheist as subheading - 

Capture.JPG.972142f56324673ab204fedbae3722b9.JPG

And i was mistaken when i said "now legal" as i assumed it was amended in GH20, it's actually core rules, P16.

• LOVE IT! 1

On 8/7/2020 at 7:39 AM, Honk said:

You can argue the case, but I wouldn’t.

The wording/typing is in line with the „ruler of all he Surveys“ from the charnel throne and they made it pretty clear in the faq that sadly the abhorrent Ghoulking is a walker not a rider

Well yes, but no. The Charnel Throne FAQ question is actually pretty stupid. The Charnel Throne asks for a ABHORRANT GHOUL KING, sure, the GKoTG has the same keyword. But the Charnel Throne also mentions the command ability name "Summon Men-At-Arms", the GKoTG does not have this command ability, it's a completely different name. If for instance the Charnel Throne did not mention the command ability name, it's free game. But GW did actually make it very clear, making the FAQ question pretty obsolete.

So it's pretty much comparing apples with peaches.

Royal Family with Abhorrant Ghoul King and 2 mounted Abhorrant Ghoul Kings is completely valid as you can ignore the sub-text.

Funnily enough, this discussion ONLY happens with FEC players, for instance look at Sylvaneth. All their battalions with Kurnoth Hunters do not specify the weapon type, while they are DIFFERENT warscrolls. The weapon type is subtext, just as the terrorgheist/zombie dragon is for us.

Is it an oversight from GW? Maybe. Is it overpowered? Hell no. Is there any ruling currently that makes this illegal? No, not until we get an FAQ that says otherwise. Until then, totally legit.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

So Duke Crackmarrow and his crew (Underworlds warband) have Hollowmourne keyword. This is rubbish (should be morgaunt imo). 

Has anyone managed to get him to work? 

No they made a crypt ghoul courtier that is designed to fight monsters.  Doesn’t end well

4 hours ago, Gdead909 said:

No they made a crypt ghoul courtier that is designed to fight monsters.  Doesn’t end well

Sounds like they tried to get some fluff onto the table...

4hp with 5+ sounds pretty sturdy... 3Attacks 3+\3+ with 3dmg should bring down the most fearsome beasts, like a blightking, orruk brute or an evocator... 🙈🤣

• Like 1

Has anyone had any luck with running a Blisterskin, Deadwatch list with two GkTg and Flayers only? Im about to embark on painting up 18 Flayers but I worry that there will be to many hard match-ups and it will be hard to control objectives. 

3 hours ago, Nixon said:

any luck with running a Blisterskin, Deadwatch list

I have more luck with feast day and an Infernal as general, he gets to be an extra wizzard and the free feeding frenzy is more than you’ll get from deadwatch.

Thought about running both (feast day- DW) on friday in a 1250 vanguard game (arch, Inf, 6/3/3 flayer) but it is just lacking...

will be sporting GKoTg, Arch, Inf(general, alcolyte), 6Flayers 10 ghouls. arch summons varghulf and the 6 flayers suddenly are very sturdy...

• Like 2

On 8/19/2020 at 2:13 PM, Honk said:

I have more luck with feast day and an Infernal as general, he gets to be an extra wizzard and the free feeding frenzy is more than you’ll get from deadwatch.

Thought about running both (feast day- DW) on friday in a 1250 vanguard game (arch, Inf, 6/3/3 flayer) but it is just lacking...

will be sporting GKoTg, Arch, Inf(general, alcolyte), 6Flayers 10 ghouls. arch summons varghulf and the 6 flayers suddenly are very sturdy...

It´s interesting too. Battleline flayers can be very good with the new GHB2020 scenaries. I need to try a full deadwatch list with this.

But I´m not sure about the terror. It´s awesome vs any other combat list, but about the top tier shooting list...meh.

Game went very well...
Gkotg, Regent, Infernal, 6Flayer, 10 ghouls... summoning a varghulf (and three flayers turn1)

opponent was a bit inexperienced and sported a shooty mawtribe list. Sadly he didn’t had a good target priority and split his forces. Shooting a bit at the flayers and a bit at the GkoTg... not enough, not against my buffing heroes.

got introduced to the feast day rule and ferocious hunger the hard way, gruesome maw was not nice, two 6s in first attack round... he fought valiantly and killed my gkotg turn three, but loosing most of his army in the desperate attempt to get things done.

As usual, careful target choice, buffing and positioning and we can deliver a crazy amount of hurt. Flayer screams into melee against low bravery troops are crazy.

against shooty with somebody who knows what to blast off the table (or imba lightelves) we‘re done for...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I might have the potential to trade one army for a FEC army. I'm pretty interested in FEC as I reckon some of their models are awesome but im looking for some advice on what I would be inheriting if the trade goes through and if there are other items that I should look to pick up that aren't included in the trade, so any and all feedback is appreciated.

I would stand to get:

x1 Archregent

x1 Ghoul King on Terrorgheist

x1 Ghoul king on foot

x1 Varghulf courtier

x1 Duke Crakmarrow

x120 or so Crypt Ghouls

x12 Crypt Flayers

x1 Grymwatch

x1 Challis endless spell

By doing some research it looks like I'd at least need another start collecting to probs get another TG and also the Crypt Ghast Coutier and then also the scenery piece?

Thanks all.

3 hours ago, RUNCMD said:

it looks like I'd at least need another start collecting

You can never go wrong with a SC-FEC Box... that‘ll set you up for ghoul-spam lists or (Double) dragon with flayer lists. Since all the courtiers, the infernal, haunter and ghast, are build from their normal Unit , you might want to look closely again.

Otherwise, do a quick mark on their base, like a stone pillar and you‘re set. For ghouls, proxy in the Duke.

Models needed?! The throne is kinda mandatory, 1-2 CPs for real world money. The other endless spells (where did your buddy leave them, it‘s one box?) are not that important.

Gristlegore monster mash or if you‘ll like to spam horrors with a king on dragon... 😅💸💸💸

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RUNCMD said:

gristlegore does stand out

The gristlegore King on gheist was so broken, people are still whining about it...  Always first strike is not very balanced

The Terrorgheist Maw Attack is still brutal, especially with the gruesome maw trait, ferocious hunger and feast day... first strike charging and there is a very decent chance you dish out 12-24 mortal wounds, before your opponent even gets to act.

It is a funky list, a regent with a king on Gheist and 4 terrorgheists in the Royal manegerie, healing d3, for 2d3 total.
but you‘ll never score victory points.

nowadays my „try-hard“ list is:

GkoTg, Infernal(General), Regent
2x6 Flayer going feast day...(1460) 

King, Infernal, 20ghouls and chalice (1990)

Buffed flayers are also brutal.

the new shooting meta (flamers or Aelves) of course targets our buffing heroes, but I don’t really play in WAAC environments.

maybe Ghoulpatrol with your 120 strong mob in a Morgaunt court can grind out a point victory 🥳👍

blisterskin might look good, but for me, feast day is just too good... in a 5 round game, melee in second (latest 😈) it amounts to 8 CP...

but of course, deepstriking and extra cp on 4+ with missle protection might be a thing these days. 
remember, the spell spectral host grants flying and with luck (mod. casting 10+) three units will deepstrike or if they already fly, run and charge 🤩

So I'm attending a local tournament here at our club in Liverpool this weekend, it's going to be a tough one as it's a very competitive club and I'm still fairly green.

My list will be Royal Mordants in Blisterskin as below.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Blisterskin

Leaders
Abhorrant Archregent (240)
- General
- Command Trait: Hellish Orator
- Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)
- Artefact: Eye of Hysh
- Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- Artefact: The Flayed Pennant

Battleline
9 x Crypt Flayers (510)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Units
6 x Crypt Horrors (260)

Battalions
Royal Mordants (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 109

It will be my first outing with this list and so the aim is to have fun and get to grips with what it can do, I take no credit for it, it was used by Steve Curtis to decent success in several tournaments last year. My main experience with FEC has been around 20 games with either Gristlegore or Feast Day.

The list has excellent Alpha Strike potential, with the 9 x Flayers able to cover 28" before you add in the extra 4" move spell and/or run and charge.

Plan will likely be to throw them forward, using the  command ability to relocate the flayed pennant varghulf behind them to grant rerolls on charges and also bring them back.  I can then summon in another Varghulf plus a unit of flayers and hopefully pin the enemy in place in their deployment, whilst rolling 12 dice to resurrect them each turn. Terrorgheist and 6 horrors can form the second wave or catch any units that try to move out on to the board. If I roll a 4+ for Hellish Orator turn one, I may just throw caution to the wind and relocate the TG 9" away also, but only if the opponent doesn't have any means to drop in to the back line. 

Anyway should be fun, I may report back if people are interested.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

So the tournament yesterday was a blast, and I managed to finish 2-1 with my first outing with the Blisterskin Royal Mordants.

You can check the results and lists on tabletop.to here.

Due to social distancing guidelines, the 10 man tournament was effectively played in two "pods", I was in group of 4 (we all played each other once) and the other pod was a 6. This meant that normal swiss pairings didn't apply.

Game 1 vs Munificent Wanders Nurgle with 60 Plaguebearers, 30 Blight Kings and some small characters in Forcing the Hand

I thought this one would have been harder than it was, as the army had over 200 wounds and a lot of FNP and negatives to hit.

I deployed along the line with the flayers in the middle, and the Terrorgheist to one one side facing off against his 30 Blightkings. He had the Witherstave on the Harbinger of Decay with them, a block of 30 PB's in the middle and the other block of 30 PB's on the other flank with his general.

He was 3 drops and gave me first turn, and I managed to get off all my spells, putting +3 attacks, 5+ FNP and extra movement on to my group of 9 flayers. He severely underestimated the 36" movement range of the flayers, which meant that after charging I had engaged both his General (Lord of Blights) and his first squad of 30 Plaguebearers, with my Flayed Pennant Varghulf and a summoned Varghulf in support. I didn't go after the Blightkings, as despite them not having a FNP up, I didn't want to engage inside the aura of the Witherstave.

I managed to kill his general and around 20 plaguebearers in two activations (losing 4 flayers and wound to mortal wound bouncebacks and his return swings), the rest then running to battleshock (you can see the positioning in the first image attached). The remainder of my army advanced and scored both mine and his middle objectives, with the Terrorgheist partly screened by a unit of 10 ghouls.

In his turn he moved up, electing not to engage the flayers with his second squad of PB's, and charged my Terrorgheist and Ghouls with all 3 squads of Blightkings. Unfortunately he rolled poorly and only dealt 4 wounds to the Terrorgheist, which swung back and took out 5 Kings in return.

He won the double turn and took it, charging my Varghulf and taking back both his objectives plus one of mine, at this point I was scared however again he rolled poorly, and the Terrorgheist survived. In response I summoned back all the flayers and proceeded to both cap his objectives, and decimate his army. All in all I only lost 10 Ghouls and 1 Crypt Horror by the time we finished rolling at the end of turn 3 and the round time was up.

Major win and both secondaries scored.

In hindsight he should have gone first, activated his buffs and marched on to the objectives, would have been much harder and he won every priority anyway.

Game 2 vs Mortis Praetorians OBR with 3 x Crawler, 1 Harvester and a 40 man squad of Mortek in Battle for the Pass

This game was against the UK Grand Champion and my first time facing OBR, but ended up very close. Deployment can be seen in image 2.

I took the turn and scored 5, charging a +1 attacks 5+fnp flayer squad in to a unit of 10 Mortek, attempting to charge a summoned unit of 3 into the edge of his 40 to tie them up. I failed the charge with the 3x Flayers, and with 46 dice only rolled 3 MW's with my unit of 9x, leaving the 10 man Mortek unit on 2 men. In his turn + the double, he shot off my flayers and Varghulf and killed the 10 ghouls on one objective.

In response I summoned 20 ghouls behind him, and made an 11 inch charge to take his objective and tie up 2 crawlers, whilst engaging the third with my 3x Flayers. I also charged the TG and Horrors in to his big unit of Mortek. After some back and forth I was up 17-12 and we rolled for priority turn 4. He rolled a 2, and I rolled a cocked 5. Needing anything but a 1, I rolled a 1, and he promptly shot off my remaining units.

To be fair to James, he gave me a couple of take-backs and also helped steer some of my decisions, though after the game he also explained a much better way of approaching the match up (running my flying units out of range / null deploying them then using CP to teleport them behind him after he had moved up).

A great learning experience, and I still scored one of my secondaries (would have been two had I won that roll off).

Game 3 vs Ironjawz with Gordrakk and an Iron Fist Battalion, lots of Ardboyz in The Blade's Edge

This game was a total disaster for my opponent, who admittedly had only 3 games with the army under his belt and wasn't very clued up to what I could do. I gave him first turn and he moved up, but failed a charge in to my ghouls. In my turn I buffed my Flayers and took out his right flank, whilst lining up on the edge of my objectives across the board. I won the roll off and gave him prio, removing one of his objectives.

He called a WAAGH and charged everything forward, and this proved to be a mistake. He elected to try and dent my flayers, which he did, however in response I double activated the unit of Horrors in to his Gordrakk. He failed a lot of saves and took 14 wounds, only managed to kill 4 Horrors in return. My Archregent then piled in from 2.5" away and finished off Gordrakk. I proceeded to then take his army apart in turn 2 and 3, whereupon he was left with one unit of Ardboyz and we called it.

Major win and both secondaries scored.

Overall I finished third, and had I won that prio in game 2 I actually would have won the tournament. Having said that, it wasn't a super serious outing and wouldn't really have been a "proper" tournament victory.

Still I learned a lot about this list and have plenty to build upon moving forward.

Sorry if this was a bit of a ramble, haven't tried typing up any reports before.

Turn 1 Nurgle.jpg

Deployment OBR.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Playing in an escalation league and getting hammered every bracket. Largely due to my own mistakes but i find im significantly weaker than my opponents in a straight up fight. Between the low saves and the lack of decent rend half my matchups i really struggle. Everyone i seem to play against has high saves, high bravery and easily rend through the FeC bad saves. I know its an odd choice but i added the Berzerker in just for a that little extra punch, -2 Rend, 4+ save, and a 5+ shrug is pretty useful, he gets a few extra attacks so doesn't matter if he cant be buffed. I use him to pick up anything that slips through  my charges or as a defender.  Next bracket is 2k so im debating what to add and im torn between: 

- GKoZD (because once the Terrorgheist dies i cant seem to kill anything)
- 50 ghouls and a chalice (so i have a pile of bodies to throw around)
- Deadwatch/6x Flayers/Chalice (for the extra artefact/CA)
- Gatebreaker Gargant (because flavour and i want a zombie giant to stomp things)

Opponents are  Gloomspite (Squigs/Troggs), Khorne (Goretide), Stormcast (HoS), Slaves to Darkness, Sylvaneth (Winterleaf), Lumineth (Iliatha) and all of them seem to be bad matchups with the exception of Gloomspite Gitz. 

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Court of Delusion - The Feast Day

Leaders

Abhorrant Archregent(260)
Abhorrant Ghoul King (160)
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)
Crypt Infernal Courtier (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Dark Acolyte  
- Artefact: The Flayed Pennant  

Battleline
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
3x Crypt Flayers (170)
3x Crypt Flayers (170)

Allies/Mercenaries
1 x Grimwrath Berzerker (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Suffocating Gravetide (20)

Total: 1500 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 100 / 400
Wounds: 73

Any tips?

18 minutes ago, frostfire said:

Great list and great games you had! Have you thought about switch the extra CP with a corpsecart to ensure some of the spells go off?

No I haven't actually, though I do have one painted as I was using it in my Feast Day/Ghoul Patrol list for that +3/+2 Archregent and helping the two Terrorgheists get off their spells at +1.

Adding it would push the list to 5 drops, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Most lists that go for low drop are 3 or less, so going from 4 to 5 doesn't make a huge difference I suppose.

FEC are still super CP hungry even with Hellish Orator as Blisterskin, and I daresay I'd prefer the safety net of an extra CP than +1 to cast, though it does offer an extra model to cap a home objective.