AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

Just started FEC and looking for some color scheme suggestions. Painting 90 ghouls seems crazy! Amyway... 

I've looked at the Contrast colors  and they seem too bright for ghouls. I'm thinking you could mix two colors like gray/blue or gray/green.

What Contrast colors are you guys thinking of using for ghouls or an FEC theme? I do have an airbrush too if that would be faster.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Stridarion said:

? I do have an airbrush too if that would be faster

6142565D-27C7-4FC9-B8ED-18920B3B5A7D.jpeg

59AE4EB6-753F-4124-8712-B9AA4156691F.jpeg

Pretty easy with airbrush, you start dark and work up, then final touches... 30 ghoul batches to grind through. tabletop ready in 3-6 hours, after that it’s just working on the extras.

that flayer is like (from memory):

body:

Stormvermin fur - karak stone - kislev flesh with agrax earthshade in between the paints. 

Wings:

no name wine red - dark red  with nightshade washes

raw flesh:

Khorne red- Mephiston red

only thing I did with a brush were the bones and some touch ups on the „fingers“ otherwise the airbrush left very cool transitions and „inflammations“ with soft overspray...

and Vallejo gloss varnish

that one was with a decent pistol (h&s evolution) but I had similar results with a 30$ noname on my ghoul hordes. Handling cleaning control and a big pot is way better, but on 90 ghouls or for starters that cheap one wins price/performance imo

Edited by Honk
  • Like 1

I am hesitating with airbrush (that I already have but never used) because of the upcoming contrast paints that seem to fit really well on FEC.

@Honk has your paint job with airbrush been fast on the army in the first image? How long did it take you to do it? (tabletop ready, the finishing maybe for later))

• Haha 1

This has probably been asked before but how do you get ghoul kings on foot? Im planning to run 2x Archregents and 2x mounted GKs in oe of my lists, but it feels awkward to buy 2x terrorgheists just to get a GK on foot, since I'm not planning on running any dragons/terrorgheists without riders...

I've though about kit bashing horrors or regular ghouls but they will come out either too big or too small compared to the ones on mounts... how are you guys doing it?

1 hour ago, umpac said:

This has probably been asked before but how do you get ghoul kings on foot? Im planning to run 2x Archregents and 2x mounted GKs in oe of my lists, but it feels awkward to buy 2x terrorgheists just to get a GK on foot, since I'm not planning on running any dragons/terrorgheists without riders...

I've though about kit bashing horrors or regular ghouls but they will come out either too big or too small compared to the ones on mounts... how are you guys doing it?

I would definitely kitbash and just accept that the proportions are a little off. As a general rule too big is better than too small as that will only negatively affect you so you are not gaining any advantages. My AAR bashed entirely from leftover SC box parts is not correctly proportioned, but he is fit for purpose and clearly recognisable as not a basic unit. Obviously if you need it for tournaments with more stringent rules then YMMV, but mine was fine in my local store. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

I am hesitating with airbrush 

How long did it take you to do it? 

1.  I find your lack of faith disturbing... what is suppose to go wrong? 

2. the whole army was a lengthy project over month, but painting 30 ghouls takes about 3h to get them from priming to tabletop standards, like I posted above.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Honk said:

1.  I find your lack of faith disturbing... what is suppose to go wrong? 

Well, it is simply the fear of the unknown. It'll pass as soon as I'll use the tool :P (to be completly honnest, it is not the use of the tools that worry me, it is the cleaning and the time it take to do it).

10 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

it is the cleaning and the time it take to do it

That’s pretty simple too... next level painting has some good tips for beginners and fast&dirty tricks. 

The final cleaning is a bit tiresome, but usually, you can just disassemble the whole thing and throw it into water (with mild soap) and leave it there over night.

I have stored a used pistol for a few days in a small jelly pot half-filled with water, just to stop it from clogging up and keep the paint easily removable. Just be careful with the air-intake-thingy, that’s not supposed to be under water...

• Thanks 1

Hi Everyone,

Khorne player here looking to start FEC kinda soon. I am looking into starting a new army and FEC is the main one I am thinking about, but I have a few questions before diving in. Would be wonderful if you could help me.

I have a semi-competitive list with Khorne, and I would like to get one competitive one. Which is considered the best now? I understand the pros/cons of each and every of the main courts currently played and considered strong (gristlegore strong in melee, bristleskin mobile, The Feast day kinda versatile), but which one is the more successful one?

I like Gristlegore, melee armies are obviously a thing I have a weakness for, Terrorgheists are what I wish Bloodthirsters were. Having two or three of those, having essentially a sideboard, being actually fast and deadly is really appealing to me.

I have come up with a list I like, but would like to ask your opinions about it:

Allegiance: Death
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (400)
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (400)
Abhorrant Archregent (200)
Crypt Ghast Courtier (60)
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
Ghoul Patrol (180)
Chalice of Ushoran (40)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 99

I understand the difference between TG and ZD, do you believe that 2 TGs are superior to the wound reroll ZD is giving? I suppose you still are mainly dependent on hit rolls with this army, so rerolling wounds is not so crucial and the MW from Maw actual increases your damage output more.

What about Cogs? I like how they make the ZDs more tanky, an extra spell is also usefull, and the 2" to charge seems to benefit this list a lot. Your experience with them?

I suppose you want to play 2 Gruesom Bites, but what are the options with Relics? Noticed someone prefers GFC, someone cloak? Any other options? Chalice maybe?

Which spells to take? Blood feast seems like a nobrainer, but what about the rest. I like Miasmal Shroud a lot, but so I do Spectral Host.

What do I actually summon? Varghulf seems like a the superior choice with the arch-regent, and then just either 2x 3 flayers or horrors, depending on what I play against?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Sneaky edit:

How do you play with this against meta T1 armies? Obvious counters to this being heavy shooting lists like Skavens with Jezzails, Shootcasts, and obviously Nurgle with his rerolling 6 auras. How do you play againts DoK? Skavens? Nagash?
Edited by Pejzub
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pejzub said:

but I have a few questions before diving in.

These few questions are pretty deep...

the list is classic more or less, I‘ve read about 3x10 ghouls and an extra Archregent too.

Spell wise I would recommend spirit host, because run&charge is just good. Same goes for cogs with your summoned knights charge, although people have used the better save for the upfront GkoTg too. If your facing hordes and (as you do) have your own horde the chalice is pretty nice. On the other hand, you’ll only have 2 extra spells available, AAR will ferocious hunger, GkoTg will cast vitality. The other one might go for an endless and the AARs second spell spirit host, second endless, feast... but those endless are important and your opponent will try to dispel them.

But the far and wide remaining questions, I don’t think there are good general go to answers. Second gkotg could use the ethereal amulet, but feather charm or even chalice could work too. Even the magic buff cloak, because the AAR needs to get his spells off...

generally speaking is the Tg better than the Zd. Zd I would take with a bunch of horrors, because rerolling everything is funny. But those exploding sixes with rerolling on the Tg are just insane.

summoning is the big trick, but also depends heavily on the objectives and your opponent. If s/he has backfield gunlines: cogs, varghulf-2x3 horrors. But fe stormcast with teleporting ballistas are tricky to pin down. Maybe 2x3 harassing flayers and 20 ghouls on an offside objective . That’s for you to decide right in that moment. Same goes for the horror-flayer argument. MW on 6s is nice, especially against decent armor, but horror gravestones to the face can be pretty devastating. If you have your king in reach, the become little monsters. But 12hp 5+ are gone pretty fast, so don’t expect some x-mas wonder from them...

my experiences(semi-comp):

Khorne gets slapped, watch out for the thirsters (but you already know that)

Nurgle... gets wasted, we outgrind them 

Sylvaneth... pretty stupid with their woods, hard to position your big dudes. 

Tzeentch: too long ago and with my chaosdwarves... big guns for the win

Skaven: sadly not around here anymore. Same goes for KO, SC and the rest of them

The really important thing is, to deliver a crippling blow with your GkoTg, while securing objectives. Positioning and first strike is key. If he gets shot down or charge blocked by rubbish you’ll not get your 400 points back. The double gheist charge might be a thing on paper, 4 attacks before the opponent gets to go, but you’ll need to be able to place the models, trees and other terrain will ruin your day if your opponent is sneaky.

• Thanks 1

I need advice about assembling my FEC army. The past few month/years, I gathered several bits & boxes (SC, Carrion empire...) and finaly have enough things to mount/assemble the mini guys. Everything is still on sprues. My inventory is:

ghoul 70

horrors 18

ZD 1  (GK not glued, will be magnetized to be mounted or on foot)

TG 2 (GK not glued, will be magnetized to be mounted or on foot)

Archregent 2

Vargulf courtier 1

When it comes to a new army, I like to be able to play several builds. My questions are about building the miniatures:

- how many courtiers do I need? (of each sort): I don't see lists with more than 1, will I need 2?

- ghoul courtier = sacrifice a whole 10 ghoul unit as in AoS the unit sizes are fixed (10 20 etc...). If I build a courtier, only 9 ghouls left. Did I miss something??? (same for the other courtier -> horrors etc..)

- do I need more mini to be able to play almost all builds? what  is the best buy next? one more SC?

So, question for everyone: I've seen a lot of the "common" Gristlegore (or feast day) bringing along the +1 casts Corpse Cart as it's only 80 points and can often still leave you with at least 1900\2000 for 3 extra to start (common battalion being Ghoul Patrol). Has anyone ran this type of setup? Is it worthwhile or could those 80 points just be better spent on cogs or another CP?

I'm only curious as I've been rolling like absolute trash on my spells so I was curious. I like running with 2 AAR's at higher values so I typically have at least 5 casts available and the General is getting Dark Wizardy 9\10 times anyway.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

I've been rolling like absolute trash on my spells so I was curious

snake eyes will just ****** you over, no matter what you´re trying...

no wait, alcolyte, robe and the throne will get you the storm, transformation and the shroud     ;-D

8 minutes ago, Honk said:

snake eyes will just ****** you over, no matter what you´re trying...

no wait, alcolyte, robe and the throne will get you the storm, transformation and the shroud     ;-D

Honestly I don't get snake eyes often, I just always roll 4-5's with DW taking me to the bare minimum which leaves it easily dispelable. I'd use robe if I have a battalion otherwise the TG always gets gryph feather. 

I dunno, maybe it's only worth it if I am in fact running 2 AAR'S but even then.. Meh. Another model I'd have to buy and paint. 

31 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Another model I'd have to buy and paint.

Still in deep inner turmoil about that Alpha-Prime conversion into Archregent...

the starswirls can easily be made into blood with skulls and bones. Then one side/arm/wing/tba gets a flayer treatment... of course one has to have the „real measurements“ on the model to kinda represent real LoS.

but my funds are low and the pile of shame is pretty high

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Honk said:

pile of shame is pretty high

I don't think anyone can be part of this hobby and not have a lot of this. I recently sold off all my armies and just have Skaven and FeC with "1 more after GHB to keep myself at 3 total" but I know that will change. Hell, I'm even considering getting into KoW which will be a whole other situation... 

Anyway, on topic I actually really like that idea.. I've mostly converted skaven but never dabbled with it in FeC aside from the necessary vargheist body to make a leader unit. The LoS thing does prove an issue against shooting armies.. It's why I like playing my Jezzails against people on Balewind who think they're safe "hiding" behind a building on it. 

Gotta learn them the hard way. 

• Like 1

I really need some help here before glueing everything.

I'm asking again, hoping some kind soul gives me some enlightment....

When it comes to a new army, I like to be able to play several builds. My questions are about building the miniatures:

- how many courtiers do I need? (of each sort): I don't see lists with more than 1, will I need 2?

- ghoul courtier = sacrifice a whole 10 ghoul unit as in AoS the unit sizes are fixed (10 20 etc...). If I build a courtier, only 9 ghouls left. Did I miss something??? (same for the other courtier -> horrors etc..). Or is there a way without sacrifying a whole kit/unit?

The last question is less important (see inventory 6 messages above)

- do I need more mini to be able to play almost all builds? what  is the best buy next? one more SC?

- I don't have the FEC endless spells: are they worth it?

20 hours ago, Honk said:

Still in deep inner turmoil about that Alpha-Prime conversion into Archregent...

the starswirls can easily be made into blood with skulls and bones. Then one side/arm/wing/tba gets a flayer treatment... of course one has to have the „real measurements“ on the model to kinda represent real LoS.

but my funds are low and the pile of shame is pretty high

Can I ask what is the 'Alpha-Prime' model you are speaking about as I need to make a AAR for my army and I'm intrigued about this model and conversion. I googled it and didn't find anything useful.

14 minutes ago, Blisterfeet said:

Can I ask what is the 'Alpha-Prime' model you are speaking about

It’s called „stormystormstorm with extra lightning-rator-Prime“

https://www.games-workshop.com/de-DE/Stormcast-Eternals-Celestant-Prime

I liked the angelic like pose, try-hard glory mode and think a conversion can be done pretty easily and pretty awesome.

I guess any ultra heroic posterboy could be trapped in the madness...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Honk said:

It’s called „stormystormstorm with extra lightning-rator-Prime“

https://www.games-workshop.com/de-DE/Stormcast-Eternals-Celestant-Prime

I liked the angelic like pose, try-hard glory mode and think a conversion can be done pretty easily and pretty awesome.

I guess any ultra heroic posterboy could be trapped in the madness...

That is some out of the box thinking but I like it!! Thanks

• Thanks 1