AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Blisterskin
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist(400)
- General
- Trait: Dark Wizardy 
- Artefact: The Grim Garland 
- Lore of Madness: Monstrous Vigour
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon (440)
- Mount Trait: Razor-clawed
Varghulf Courtier (160)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)
Chalice of Ushoran (40)

Total: 1580 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 8
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 80

So from the feedback so far, these are the changes I have made. This is most cost effective (as I have 2 SC boxes) and doesn't go too hard on the competitive side. 

just looking for suggestions on allies now and if I've messed up with any artefacts or spells.

I've had a suggestion of a Mortis engine are there any other suggestions? Or would you say just get more battleline guys?

The reason for avoiding adding a AAR is the availability of the model at the moment I am sure I will add one when sold separately by GW. 

@Stridarion I think the preference is TG over ZD judging by lists and this thread I have read.

/Note will be my last list post as don't wanna clog up the thread. 

1 hour ago, Stridarion said:

New player here.  Is the Terragheist better than the zombie dragon in all situations? I'll have 3 kits so should I build them as 3 terrorgheists or 2 terrorgheists and a zombie dragon? Thank you.

If you mean the AGK versions: no, it isn't better in strictly all situations but as a single unit it will almost always be unconditionally better as the ZD is strong in tandem with other units. ZD has a few advantages but really you take it if you intend to make good use of the ability. That being said, at 40 points more expensive I don't think I'd use mine outside of having fun. However, a unit of 6+ horrors re-rolling all attacks and wounds if it is close to the ZD would be pretty disgusting if paired with some extra attacks from the AAR. If you get the +3 and manage to attack twice with the whole unit you are looking at around 100 damage worth of saves. Obviously you on average will just get the +2 attacks and maybe attack with 3 - 5 in each round of attacks, but they would consistently eat plenty of units. A large horde unit could more or less be removed in one go. If you are including the riderless options then I am not sure as I don't play that style, but personally I don't see why I would choose a ZD over a TG (but am happy to be educated). 

What you should build depends on your aims though. I personally value options over competitive value, but we all have different aims. 

1 hour ago, Blisterfeet said:

- Grand Court: Blisterskin
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist(400)
- General
- Artefact: The Grim Garland 
- Lore of Madness: Monstrous Vigour
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon (440)
- Mount Trait: Razor-clawed
Varghulf Courtier (160)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)
Chalice of Ushoran (40)

Total: 1580 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 8
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 80

So from the feedback so far, these are the changes I have made. This is most cost effective (as I have 2 SC boxes) and doesn't go too hard on the competitive side. 

just looking for suggestions on allies now and if I've messed up with any artefacts or spells.

I've had a suggestion of a Mortis engine are there any other suggestions? Or would you say just get more battleline guys?

The reason for avoiding adding a AAR is the availability of the model at the moment I am sure I will add one when sold separately by GW. 

@Stridarion I think the preference is TG over ZD judging by lists and this thread I have read.

/Note will be my last list post as don't wanna clog up the thread. 

You can make your own AAR with a bit of imagination from the bits and pieces left from the SC boxes. I did as I needed it for a tournament and it got local GW approval at least. I made a silly throne from the front check piece of a TG kit and attached it to a rock, used a combination of vamp lord and flayer parts clipped down to make the actual AAR and then added skulls and such to taste. It is imperfect, and  I made the arms far too large, but I cba to fix it as I am not playing FEC atm and it is certainly preferable to paying Ebay prices. 

Also don't worry about clogging up threads, it takes an irrelevantly short amount of time for anyone who doesn't care to scroll past any given post. Unless you are posting a bunch every day for no reason (no revisions etc) I don't see why anyone reasonable would mind. 

Then again, I am pretty new here and there may be a ridiculously draconian moderation policy I am not aware of. 

• Like 2

Well, 2 games against Seraphon went poorly today (1st due to my own fault of not screening shadowstrike, a mistake I never made until today) despite 1 of the games being a close victory for me, that was only because I actually screened this time and the GKoTG survived.

Long story short, I roll horrifically on the GKoZD and I don't feel he's worth the points in any way compared to the TG. Of course, that's only after playing with it twice.. I would rather have 40 less and bring another GKoTG and have room for a Chalice. Maybe I should give it another go but..meh. Anyway, I've decided to spend the rest of the 1250p league week running the following:

Spoiler

- Grand Court: Court of Delusion - The Feast Day
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Abhorrant Archregent (200)
- General
- Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
Abhorrant Archregent (200)
- Lore of Madness: Miasmal Shroud
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (400)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
- Lore of Madness: Blood Feast

Battleline
30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chalice of Ushoran (40)

Total: 1240 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 68

1 core of objective holders w/ Chalice support and 10 for AA protection\light objective camper. With what models I have, I've got the ability to summon in 9 Flayers or 6 Flayers and a Varghulf. Overall, probably more balanced than the heavy Flayers or GKoZD + GKoTG options I had in mind. Thoughts are welcome as always.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Blisterfeet said:

You only get ONE mount trait (or artifact), if you want a second one you’ll need to get a battalion. 

Throw in Arkhan!!! No matter that you’re missing out on the ferocious hunger and stuff. Or think about going Abbatoir or the Mordants battalion...

It is your choice and your list has some potential to tune up the hate, if needed

• Thanks 1

Cheers @Honk I think rule of cool will always take precedent for me personally.

All the advice has been great so far and really helped with building etc and I have now finished my assembly and buying the next stages.

General question;

I have rarely seen Ghast couriers in any lists, what is the reason for this?

I see alot of the horror or flayer Courtiers and Varghulf but not the cheaper one for Ghouls. 

And Secondly do people aim to alpha strike with their FEC monsters at the high prior targets or is it the same as 40k and is more about screening and objective grabbing and alpha striking is generally a poor choice? 

21 minutes ago, Blisterfeet said:

see alot of the horror or flayer Courtiers and Varghulf but not the cheaper one for Ghouls. 

The haunter or infernal as general make the horrors or flayers battleline... enabling nice feast day lists instead of the respective courts.

then if you summon in a courtier from gkozd or aar you might as well throw in a varghulf, since he can muster knights and serfs...

that‘s why you‘ll see the bigger courtiers and not the little ghast. Also since the Ghoulpatrol has lost its punch, ghoul spam is not that strong.

To the second question: gkotg is suicidal rushing into a high priority victim, if he has nothing better to do. The objective game can be played by the other units. If you’re able to delete an important unit form your opponent turn , that’s pretty nice.

Also gkotg/gkozd/aar are on the kill list of everybody, getting ballista sniped or charged by a Bloodthirster and you’re 400 sad points short...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blisterfeet said:

And Secondly do people aim to alpha strike with their FEC monsters at the high prior targets or is it the same as 40k and is more about screening and objective grabbing and alpha striking is generally a poor choice? 

Going off experience, what @Honk said rings pretty true. If you can get them into something juicy and not get much back in return then I typically go for it. On the same token, I've T1 charged him, rolled horrifically and then he got whacked off the board due to the opponents double turn.

With the high movement, it's easy to just keep it held back and wait for a good opportunity instead of hedging your bets on getting lucky with a charge that may\may not get it killed right after. Also, I've also faced 0 armies with any decent shooting so if you have that in your local meta you really need to be measuring threat ranges and picking your targets accordingly so it doesn't get shot off the board.

• Like 1

When you throw the AGKOTG into a priority unit and kill it your opponent will often throw everything reasonably close to it into it to ensure it dies. This 1) wastes a lot of their initiative 2) can move units away from good positions and 3) allows you to often cause a bunch of extra wounds when he explodes as people forget. Generally, if he gets his shield off on himself and an AAR buff I am sending him in almost 100% of the time. Getting through 4+/5+/6+ 14 wounds is hard enough that I don't typically care if they are able to kill him as it will have wasted so much of their turn, and by my next turn my horrors are in range to buff and send in too.

Shooting is an issue. I tend to risk a knights summon to harass them if possible. If I make the 9 charge then great, if not then it makes them  have to decide what to kill. 

Edited by ByronicHero
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

43 minutes ago, ByronicHero said:

When you throw the AGKOTG into a priority unit and kill it

If your totally into this behavior, gristlegore might be your court... striking first, gruesome maw and having a CP to frenzy will make a lot of opponents ragequit.

Don’t forget to use the artifact to snipe banners and such, my nurgle friend was a bit sad when I just whacked that thing out of the 30 bearers.

28 minutes ago, Honk said:

If your totally into this behavior, gristlegore might be your court... striking first, gruesome maw and having a CP to frenzy will make a lot of opponents ragequit.

Don’t forget to use the artifact to snipe banners and such, my nurgle friend was a bit sad when I just whacked that thing out of the 30 bearers.

Doesn't appeal to me as I like being able to also play the objective game when necessary and also wouldn't want to field an army of one type of model. I do admit that it seems disgusting to play against for some armies though. 

Edited by ByronicHero

1 hour ago, ByronicHero said:

also wouldn't want to field an army of one type of model. 

You can run gristlegore with your „normal“ list... it kinda defies the point, but still seriously boosts your general.

2 minutes ago, Honk said:

You can run gristlegore with your „normal“ list... it kinda defies the point, but still seriously boosts your general.

I could, but I'm not going to. An additional issue is I would have to magnetise all of those wings to have any hope of transporting it. I'd be interested in seeing how people move 6 of those models around otherwise. Big plastic tub with metal drilled in? 

6 hours ago, ByronicHero said:

When you throw the AGKOTG into a priority unit and kill it your opponent will often throw everything reasonably close to it into it to ensure it dies.

Speaking of that, I just finished a batrep for my 1250 week of League games where I tried to do this very thing. Back\Side summons can also really help to get into your opponents head and force them to split focus and I banked on that heavily in my first game against DoK.

• Thanks 1

Gristlegore is “best” played with 2 mounted kings, magic support and chaff.

this is a bit sad, as the court should encourage players to use unridden  monsters, but due to abilities effecting also mounted heroes, it’s more efficient to just skip normal TG and ZD imho

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Speaking of that, I just finished a batrep for my 1250 week of League games where I tried to do this very thing. Back\Side summons can also really help to get into your opponents head and force them to split focus and I banked on that heavily in my first game against DoK.

Congrats. FEC have such great tools for low points total games. The only game I've had with them that was close was vs an opponent running a ghoul heavy FEC variant which was very problematic for me and required sacrificing units to accrue objective score. Morathi seems scary, if it transforms  do you just ignore it, or try to put just enough attacks into it to whittle it down? I've also not played vs Seraphon, what are their problem units that caused your loss? Hordes of skinks?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ByronicHero said:

Congrats. FEC have such great tools for low points total games. The only game I've had with them that was close was vs an opponent running a ghoul heavy FEC variant which was very problematic for me and required sacrificing units to accrue objective score. Morathi seems scary, if it transforms  do you just ignore it, or try to put just enough attacks into it to whittle it down? I've also not played vs Seraphon, what are their problem units that caused your loss? Hordes of skinks?

You always want to put at least the 3 wounds on her, ideally before she changes as she's quite hard to ignore once that happens..unless you can reliably chaff her up every turn. Had he changed her T1, that would've been 4 turns minimum of her being in my face and in a battleplan where only Heroes\Behemoths score that was a scary thought. She's a lot easier to deal with when I play Skaven as I can just shoot those wounds off, but here it would've required me to risk a lot more by putting things I value (IE, not Clanrats) into combat. One thing to note is that if you can hit her with predatory spells in-between turns, those wounds do not count towards her Iron-Heart rule.

As for Seraphon, they're hard to deal with because of their ludicrous ability to summon objective grabbers virtually anywhere on the board thanks to Lords of Space and Time allowing them to teleport, and most of the time Seraphon runs Great Rememberer to do this twice per turn. Shadowstrike battalion is also a problem and..well, despite having played against it probably 8+ times now, I didn't screen my GKoTG and the 6 Rippers came in 3.1" away and RIP'd him, so I conceded shortly after playing out my turn once he got the double-turn. I knew I couldn't do much else as he was going to continue to summon bodies on top of the objectives which is why I'm likely going to always include a minimum of 40 Ghouls in each list from now on. Skinks can also choose to just run away when they're chosen to pile-in which makes them even harder to shift completely off objectives.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

You always want to put at least the 3 wounds on her, ideally before she changes as she's quite hard to ignore once that happens..unless you can reliably chaff her up every turn. Had he changed her T1, that would've been 4 turns minimum of her being in my face and in a battleplan where only Heroes\Behemoths score that was a scary thought. She's a lot easier to deal with when I play Skaven as I can just shoot those wounds off, but here it would've required me to risk a lot more by putting it into combat. One thing to note is that if you can hit her with predatory spells in-between turns, those wounds do not count towards her Iron-Heart rule.

As for Seraphon, they're hard to deal with because of their ludicrous ability to summon objective grabbers virtually anywhere on the board thanks to Lords of Space and Time allowing them to teleport, and most of the time Seraphon runs Great Rememberer to do this twice per turn. Shadowstrike battalion is also a problem and..well, despite having played against it probably 8+ times now, I didn't screen my GKoTG and the 6 Rippers came in 3.1" away and RIP'd him, so I conceded shortly after playing out my turn once he got the double-turn. I knew I couldn't do much else as he was going to continue to summon bodies on top of the objectives. Skinks can also choose to just run away when they're chosen to pile-in which makes them even harder to shift completely off objectives.

Great, thanks for the reply. I will keep all this in mind if I play the armies. I just had a look at the ripper warscroll for the first time. I assume it is the 'Voracious Appetite' coupled with a Blot Toad that can become disgusting? They seem like an incredibly swingy unit. 

1 minute ago, ByronicHero said:

I assume it is the 'Voracious Appetite' coupled with a Blot Toad that can become disgusting? They seem like an incredibly swingy unit. 

Yep, they get to RR all failed hits\wounds if I recall and the battalion gives an additional +1 to wound rolls. They can be swingy, but 90% of the time 6 of them will delete whatever they want when they first drop down but will likely melt afterwards; it's a very 1-trick-pony list but the level of summoning is what will win them the objective game if you don't kill the Slann\Kroak ASAP.

Just ensure you leave no open gaps for them to sneak into something important. It's easy if you let them hit a Ghoul unit and then strike back with your TG behind it, but my local guy would never make that mistake, I'm sure.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Yep, they get to RR all failed hits\wounds if I recall and the battalion gives an additional +1 to wound rolls. They can be swingy, but 90% of the time 6 of them will delete whatever they want when they first drop down but will likely melt afterwards; it's a very 1-trick-pony list but the level of summoning is what will win them the objective game if you don't kill the Slann\Kroak ASAP.

Just ensure you leave no open gaps for them to sneak into something important. It's easy if you let them hit a Ghoul unit and then strike back with your TG behind it, but my local guy would never make that mistake, I'm sure.

I wonder if anyone has run the numbers for the expected damage of the Rippers in each case. It is certainly going to be large but I don't see why a 4+/5+/6+ TG couldn't survive unless they rolled really hot. Maybe I am underestimating them. 

Edit (warning: lazy maths as CBA): I found that the average is 12.83 or 19.79 (toad vs no toad) for 3 rippers which is disgusting for 140 points and with the toad you might do 25 wounds before saves with decent luck.  If we say you save 12 with the 4+ leaving 13, 4 with the 5+ leaving 9 and then 1 of those with the 6+ that is 8 wounds. Without the 5+ you save 2 with the 6+ and take 11ish. 

A unit of 6 is going to do 29/30 just on average, so easily 35+ with a little variance which could very well delete the AGKOTG. 

If I ever see them I will be hoping they flop the charge. They seem pretty undercosted, but I suppose they do just melt to anything. 

I am yet to decide what my order army will be, but as I am a Trek fan I like the idea of an army of Voth 😛 I shall investigate further. I don't relish the idea of painting a million skinks. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ByronicHero said:

I wonder if anyone has run the numbers for the expected damage of the Rippers in each case. It is certainly going to be large but I don't see why a 4+/5+/6+ TG couldn't survive unless they rolled really hot. Maybe I am underestimating them. 

Edit (warning: lazy maths as CBA): I found that the average is 12.83 or 19.79 (toad vs no toad) for 3 rippers which is disgusting for 140 points and with the toad you might do 25 wounds before saves with decent luck.  If we say you save 12 with the 4+ leaving 13, 4 with the 5+ leaving 9 and then 1 of those with the 6+ that is 8 wounds. Without the 5+ you save 2 with the 6+ and take 11ish. 

A unit of 6 is going to do 29/30 just on average, so easily 35+ with a little variance which could very well delete the AGKOTG. 

If I ever see them I will be hoping they flop the charge. They seem pretty undercosted, but I suppose they do just melt to anything. 

I am yet to decide what my order army will be, but as I am a Trek fan I like the idea of an army of Voth 😛 I shall investigate further. I don't relish the idea of painting a million skinks. 

He actually calculated it the other week if I recall but.. I can't remember what the average output was. I believe it was somewhere around the 30-35 wounds before saves for 6? I'm probably wrong but I'll ask him again.. looks like your calculations match that pretty closely though. My problem was that I didn't get off my 5+ anyway since he went first, but having played them so many times with a couple different armies, I would absolutely not underestimate them. Just don't give them good targets or make getting all 6 of them have a hard time piling in (which I did my 2nd game). 

Shadowstrike lets them only need a 3" charge when they first drop down so it rarely fails. I wouldn't call them under-costed as it currently stands since their army has literally no combat phase punch except for them and maybe 1-2 other hero units but.. I wouldn't want to take that away from them too. As I said, it's a 1-trick pony and Rippers outside of that battalion seldom cause me any fear. I just wasn't having a great day and I let them get in behind me. The 2nd game I did what I normally would've done and he only managed to get a few in, the TG lived and murdered them and I started grabbing objectives.. but I had to leave so we ended on a tie.

I'm making Freeguild as my next army so.. all the shooting and Pseudo-TG's (read Griffon's) will be at my fingertips.

19 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

He actually calculated it the other week if I recall but.. I can't remember what the average output was. I believe it was somewhere around the 30-35 wounds before saves for 6? I'm probably wrong but I'll ask him again.. looks like your calculations match that pretty closely though. My problem was that I didn't get off my 5+ anyway since he went first, but having played them so many times with a couple different armies, I would absolutely not underestimate them. Just don't give them good targets or make getting all 6 of them have a hard time piling in (which I did my 2nd game). 

Shadowstrike lets them only need a 3" charge when they first drop down so it rarely fails. I wouldn't call them under-costed as it currently stands since their army has literally no combat phase punch except for them and maybe 1-2 other hero units but.. I wouldn't want to take that away from them too. As I said, it's a 1-trick pony and Rippers outside of that battalion seldom cause me any fear. I just wasn't having a great day and I let them get in behind me. The 2nd game I did what I normally would've done and he only managed to get a few in, the TG lived and murdered them and I started grabbing objectives.. but I had to leave so we ended on a tie.

I'm making Freeguild as my next army so.. all the shooting and Pseudo-TG's (read Griffon's) will be at my fingertips.

Yes, around that seems about right. So 15+ wounds into your average 4+ unit with no other saves if they can all attack. What size bases are they on? Either way, they seem like a very attractive alphastrike unit that would be great to use for ruining synergy, blasting generals and the like. I tend to use my ghouls (always min units) exclusively for screening and sleeping on objectives so I will make sure to use them sensibly vs the rippers. 

Ah nice, I have built a STD force (love me some knights) and bought some demons for a couple of gods to be able to play with some actual rules until a tome comes out. They feel so incredibly bad after only playing FEC, but I have managed a draw and a (fortunate) victory with them so far which is probably the best winning rate anyone has ever had with them 😛 I just need to absolutely never use them again to maintain it. 

Order armies will likely come down to KO or Seraphon for me. The former for the aesthetic and because Brokk is hilarious, the latter because space dinosaurs. Freeguild are cool. I played a couple of fantasy games when I was a kid and only used Bretonnians.

Destruction is hard. Gutbusters is the most amusing choice left to me. I have never owned an Ork army though, even 15+ years ago in my 40k days. Who knows. I need to stop myself buying more things though as I now have at least 60 models to paint, plus an Archaon. Oops. 

3 minutes ago, ByronicHero said:

Yes, around that seems about right. So 15+ wounds into your average 4+ unit with no other saves if they can all attack. What size bases are they on? Either way, they seem like a very attractive alphastrike unit that would be great to use for ruining synergy, blasting generals and the like. I tend to use my ghouls (always min units) exclusively for screening and sleeping on objectives so I will make sure to use them sensibly vs the rippers. 

Ah nice, I have built a STD force (love me some knights) and bought some demons for a couple of gods to be able to play with some actual rules until a tome comes out. They feel so incredibly bad after only playing FEC, but I have managed a draw and a (fortunate) victory with them so far which is probably the best winning rate anyone has ever had with them 😛 I just need to absolutely never use them again to maintain it. 

Order armies will likely come down to KO or Seraphon for me. The former for the aesthetic and because Brokk is hilarious, the latter because space dinosaurs. Freeguild are cool. I played a couple of fantasy games when I was a kid and only used Bretonnians.

Destruction is hard. Gutbusters is the most amusing choice left to me. I have never owned an Ork army though, even 15+ years ago in my 40k days. Who knows. I need to stop myself buying more things though as I now have at least 60 models to paint, plus an Archaon. Oops. 

They're on 50mm so if I crowd around terrain I can make it difficult for pile-ins. It's a great battalion and unit in general, but they kind of need something to be that way since, as I said, everything else is pretty trash right now in comparison. It's fine though as the summoning makes them win most battleplans if they play skillfully.

I recently made the decision to downsize to only 3* armies and my third choice will likely be Freeguild as I haven't enjoyed my Wanderers and my IJ are currently being paid on over time by the same Seraphon player.

*this is likely temporary and I know that I cannot control myself with trying out armies I find appealing to play and contrast paint makes this even more likely to happen. Send help for my bank account.

6 hours ago, Gwendar said:

They're on 50mm so if I crowd around terrain I can make it difficult for pile-ins. It's a great battalion and unit in general, but they kind of need something to be that way since, as I said, everything else is pretty trash right now in comparison. It's fine though as the summoning makes them win most battleplans if they play skillfully.

I recently made the decision to downsize to only 3* armies and my third choice will likely be Freeguild as I haven't enjoyed my Wanderers and my IJ are currently being paid on over time by the same Seraphon player.

*this is likely temporary and I know that I cannot control myself with trying out armies I find appealing to play and contrast paint makes this even more likely to happen. Send help for my bank account.

Yea fair enough, that makes sense. 

I feel you RE the bank account. I have been playing 2 months or so and have an army of FEC, 1400ish points of STD with the SC boxes for both Nurgle and Slaanesh, the various scenery pieces, Archaon, the biggest case, loads of paints and such. Ergh. I have an addictive personality and get into things pretty strongly. RIP my wallet. I'm having a lot of fun with it though so whatever.