AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

1 hour ago, MadKingZach said:

Is the Zombie dragon good at all? 

Congrats 🎉🎊 to your stellar performance!!!

Dragon is nice when the scream is not working and a solid choice. But The crazy maw from the Tg of course has the high potential, just roll 1-2 6s and all your troubles are gone.

1 hour ago, Honk said:

Congrats 🎉🎊 to your stellar performance!!!

Dragon is nice when the scream is not working and a solid choice. But The crazy maw from the Tg of course has the high potential, just roll 1-2 6s and all your troubles are gone.

I've found the TG has the higher potential damage but is very spikey (even with the reroll), a ZG (especially with Monstrous Vigour on it) seems to give a much more consistent amount of damage...except at BOBO where both my ZG and TG were a waste of space

17 hours ago, MadKingZach said:

Snip

What do people do with Arch reagents? I would just have them behind the throne until coast was clear than they would try to run to do something but felt blah.  Is there anything I should do to get them into combat sometimes?

Snip

You have the correct base approach.  Archregent’s are a support hero.  Next step is unlock their army synergies.

I run mine near max ghoul blobs to get off Ferocious Hunger, along with either Miasmal Shroud/Blood Feast/Chalice near an objective.  Always gauging how important tanking is verses damage.  Locking in Deathless Courtiers.  

The summoning game depends entirely on my opponent.  If he/she isn’t going to leave open any opportunities I will drop a rear echelon Varghulf to boost ghouls.  If there is a soft target of importance then I’ll bring whatever is most appropriate (depending on distances and army allegiance).

Mostly it is important the Archregent isn’t too idle.  It is very easy to leave him sitting at the Charnel Throne waiting to summon.  Especially when deployment zones are off objectives for him to babysit.  Mine loses value when the ghoul units are slain or far under strength.

Personally I avoid combat with them like the plague.  It should be a Hail Mary move.  If it does happen try to run them with CoGs and/or bubble wrapped on the sides with friendly to reduce hostile pile-ins.  The healing is nice but a double turn can wipe them, even with their super healing.  In theory I could see running mine in to assist in a kill for “moar dice” but the situation has never presented itself.  Piles of ghouls get work done.

Edited by Evil Bob
Auto-correct Hell

19 minutes ago, Evil Bob said:

You have the correct base approach.  Archregent’s are a support hero.  Next step is unlock their army synergies.

I run mine near max ghoul blobs to get off Ferocious Hunger, along with either Miasmal Shroud/Blood Feast/Chalice near an objective.  Always gauging how important tanking is verses damage.  Locking in Deathless Courtiers.  

The summoning game depends entirely on my opponent.  If he/she isn’t going to leave open any opportunities I will drop a rear echelon Varghulf to boost ghouls.  If there is a soft target of importance then I’ll bring whatever is most appropriate (depending on distances and army allegiance).

Mostly it is important the Archregent isn’t too idle.  It is very easy to leave him sitting at the Charnel Throne waiting to summon.  Especially when deployment zones are off objectives for him to babysit.  Mine loses value when the ghoul units are slain or far under strength.

Personally I avoid combat with them like the plague.  It should be a Hail Mary move.  If it does happen try to run them with CoGs and/or bubble wrapped on the sides with friendly to reduce hostile pile-ins.  The healing is nice but a double turn can while them, even with their super healing.  In theory I could see running mine in to assist in a kill for “moar dice” but the situation has never presented itself.  Piles of ghouls get work done.

I try to sit mine in cover with 10x ghouls if it is practical. The ghouls never do anything useful for me anyway so I prefer to have the AAR free to constantly win the low - mid level magic game with +2 to casts and unbinds. In the 20ish games I have played now he has entered combat twice that I can recall. The first time he survived on one wound vs some ghouls, and if he hadn't I'd have the lost the game. The second time he folded to a low level hero after being softened up by some shooting. I pretty much agree with your analysis; he is the only unit I routinely move backwards. 

2 hours ago, ByronicHero said:

Dark Wizardry. 

That combined with Feast Day stop me from playing Blisterskin all the time.  It is kind of frustrating since I don’t get to call out, “Praise The SUN” before important charges.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Evil Bob said:

That combined with Feast Day stop me from playing Blisterskin all the time.  It is kind of frustrating since I don’t get to call out, “Praise The SUN” before important charges.

On a tangentially related note, I failed a 3" charge with my AAR buffed AGKOTG the other day with the rest of my army trailing behind somewhat. I wanted to shout something, but it had nothing to do with the sun. Haha. 

18 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

Meh, I still have my dudes painted Blisterskin and I refer to them as such, even when I don't specifically use that Court. It's not my fault that GW made the Courts' fluff so appealing but also made their rules significantly less appealing by forcing you to take certain artefacts and traits... ;)

On 5/23/2019 at 11:17 AM, Aleister said:

So, I have done a lot of lurking and some commenting on here, but have not actually played a game of AOS yet.  That's about to change, my first games will be played at a 1250 pts tourney this weekend (no worries, I love 'trial by fire' and have played 40k for a few years and I've also been reading a lot).

Here's my list, I will let you know how it goes.  I have 2x Varghulf Courtiers to summon, no other options, as it has taken all my spare time to build and paint this:

1200/1250 points

Delusion:  Feast Day

LEADERS
Abhorrant Archregent (200)
- General
- Command Trait : Dark Wizardry
- Artefact : The Dermal Robe
- Lore of Madness : Spectral Host
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon (440)
- Lore of Madness : Blood Feast
- Mount Trait : Razor-clawed

UNITS
6 x Crypt Horrors (320)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Chalice of Ushoran (40)

For spell choice, I went with Spectral Host for my ZD and 2x Varghulfs (summoned), could also be good with Horrors sometimes - at first I was going to use Deranged Transformation but it's only good with Horrors in this list and wouldn't be useful if they are focused down.  Blood Feast's range is fine because I'm nosediving the ZD into everything anyway.  In lieu of ZD having an artefact, I thought Razor-Clawed might be sufficient.

I took this to my LGS' tournament this Saturday.  We only had 6 people turn out, a lot of folks that had been in the escalation league couldn't make it.  I didn't partake in the league, so these were my first games total.

Round 1 vs. Beasts of Chaos

So we played a mission with 3 objectives along centerline, roll a D3 each round to see which one is worth 3 VP, other 2 are worth 1.

My opponent had lots of 2x3 Daemon Ogres, 2x1 of the Leader Daemon Ogre guy, 2x Chimeras, and 10 of the battleline dudes that get +1 attack on the charge.  I gave him first turn, and he made a dash for all the objectives, claiming them.  His 10 shrimpy dudes were alone on one flank, with 10 of my ghouls on the other side.  My 6 horrors came into the middle objective, against 3x Daemon Ogres and 1 of the Daemon Ogre Leader guys.  My other ghouls and GKoZD took the other flank, which was the 'major' objective for the round.  I summoned 2x Varghulf's on the 'major' objective flank as well.  Zombie Dragon gets Spectral Host cast on him, Runs + Charges into all of my opponent's guys at the objective.  Attack + Feeding Frenzy wiped all his dudes that were there.  My Horrors charged into the Ogres + Ogre Leader Guy (General) in the middle, killed a few and took some damage. 2nd turn, he got his Chimaeras and charged to join his remaining Ogres.  They killed some Horrors, but then on my turn the Varghulfs brought them all back and then I killed everything he had at mid except one Chimera, other than that all he had left was his 10 battleline guys that were tangoing with 10 of my ghouls still on the far flank.  At this point he conceded.  We were talking about how Feast Day working on every turn instead of once per Battle Round seemed pretty powerful.

Round 2 vs. Fyreslayers, Vostarg lodge

For this mission there were 2 objectives on the centerline, worth 2 VP each, one in each home base worth 1 / 4 VPs for yours / theirs.

This match was less one-sided.  He had 10 Hearthguard, 10 Vulkites, and 5 Heroes - a leader with a big key-hammer, a Runepriest, another Rune-something, and a guy with a big axe that fights again if he dies.  One of the rune guys was giving everything nearby a 4++ and there was also an aura giving +1 save.  Somehow there was  +1 hit / +1 wound deal going on too, I don't remember.

This guy chose first turn, he had +2 move on his guys and got onto center objectives.  I protected my home objective with 10 ghouls, sent everything else to one objective with 10 Hearthguard and 4 of the heroes (all buy the axe guy that fights when dead).  I summoned 2x Varghulfs to this area as well, I have read Hearthguard are uber and I wanted to have an advantage in the fight.  I got Spectral Host onto my GKoZD again but I couldn't get a good enough Run to make it over the Hearthguard and into his heroes; at the time I wanted to save my CP for a 2nd Feeding Frenzy on my Horrors that were going to make it into combat, but I wonder now if I should have used the command trait to make the Dragon run a full 6, which possibly would have gotten me behind his Hearthguard and into his heroes.  My ZD and Horrors fighting twice into his Hearthguard went pretty bad - he made a lot of saves and then his 4++ took care of almost all of the remaining damage.  On his turn 2, he obliterated my ZD and killed 5/6 Horrors.  I brought the Horrors all back with Muster but then he wiped them on his turn 3.  His 10 Vulkites and Axe guy on the far flank went into my zone and wiped the 10 Ghouls easily.  The Horror's rend 0 hurt some this game.  However, in hindsight I think I should have summoned one of my Varghulf's to his back objective, which could have helped me to either win via points or get him to split his forces some; I had also forgotten the +3 attacks buff I got on my Varghulf at a clutch moment.  He won, it was a close game overall and very fun.

Round 3 vs. Khorne

This match had 2 objectives in each of our zones, worth 1 / 4 VPs for yours / theirs.  He had 2x 20 of the Berserker looking guys, 10 Reavers, a Bloodsecrator, 2 Slaughterpriests, and a Bloodthirster.  Like in other games, we both had the majority of our forces opposing each other one one flank, I had 10 Ghouls on the other flank but he fully committed to one side.

My opponent chose 1st turn, and used a command ability to give one of his Berserker's a movement boost + Run and Charge.  This got this group Berserkers, which had been buffed to +3 save and was hitting on 2+, rerolling 1s, into combat with my Horrors and Ghouls.  He couldn't get all his guys into combat but the ones that did killed 3 of my Horrors and a few of my Ghouls.  On my turn, I summoned Varghulfs in and Mustered everything back.  I mostly eliminated the engaged unit of Berserkers.  My ZD was able to fly over and charge his BT (which ignored Rend), taking it down to 2 Wounds and my ZD going down to 3.  At this point, he was made that his BT was already almost dead (although my ZD was too) and he didn't like that his Berserkers didn't destroy twice their points in models.  He ended up conceding shortly after and claiming that FEC are overpowered no matter what you run, not just Gristlegore.  Ok, whatever.  I think he should not have advanced his Berserkers ahead of the rest of his force, and instead waited on me to charge him.  For myself, I had been so scared of the BT that I committed everything to the fight, but I should have summoned one unit at his far objective, which was undefended and worth 4 VP a turn.  Truthfully, I probably had a right to be scared of the BT, but he had terrible save throws unfortunately for him - he was ignoring Rend with either a Trait or a Relic (?) but couldn't make any 4+s.

As a side note, regarding Horrors/Flayers - magnetizing them is easy, just don't do the arms.  Put the upper torso and arms together for Horrors, same for Flayers, have the chest/lower torso and Legs together, put a magnet inside the torso at the stomach area.

Edited by Aleister
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aleister said:

For myself, I had been so scared of the BT that I committed everything to the fight, but I should have summoned one unit at his far objective, which was undefended and worth 4 VP a turn.  Truthfully, I probably had a right to be scared of the BT, but he had terrible save throws unfortunately for him - he was ignoring Rend with either a Trait or a Relic (?) but couldn't make any 4+s.

Always respect the Bloodthirster.  Last year during a local tournament I threw four Morghasts with Spirit Halberds (GHoN list) at one.  I only nailed it because he underestimated my reach and positioned sub-optimally.  An insane dice roll on my end may have had something to do with it.

2 hours ago, Aleister said:

As a side note, regarding Horrors/Flayers - magnetizing them is easy, just don't do the arms.  Put the upper torso and arms together for Horrors, same for Flayers, have the chest/lower torso and Legs together, put a magnet inside the torso at the stomach area.

I'm not sure I understand this, or maybe lack of sleep is making me read it incorrectly. You only get 3 torso's per box so what would magnetizing the upper\lower torso do? The main difference is the arms so that's what you would want to magnetize, no?

36 minutes ago, Evil Bob said:

Always respect the Bloodthirster.  Last year during a local tournament I threw four Morghasts with Spirit Halberds (GHoN list) at one.  I only nailed it because he underestimated my reach and positioned sub-optimally.  An insane dice roll on my end may have had something to do with it.

I think it depends.. I've played against Bloodthirsters (new and old) before and have never really had much of an issue with them. Their potential for MW's has gone to be much higher but even in my latest batrep I practically 1-shot a Bloodthirster and it only did 6 wounds to my GKoTG because it got to fight first.

Of course we have someone in our league who intends to run 3 of them at 2k so that will be interesting.

41 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I'm not sure I understand this, or maybe lack of sleep is making me read it incorrectly. You only get 3 torso's per box so what would magnetizing the upper\lower torso do? The main difference is the arms so that's what you would want to magnetize, no

I didn't do it exactly like this guy did it, but I did start by checking out his video:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I'm not sure I understand this, or maybe lack of sleep is making me read it incorrectly. You only get 3 torso's per box so what would magnetizing the upper\lower torso do? The main difference is the arms so that's what you would want to magnetize, no?

Crypt Horrors/Flayers technically utilize the same front torso pieces and backs, but the kit has separate back pieces that are for the bat-like guys you can build from Vampire Counts days. So if you don't mind using the boney back for one and the furry back for the other you can glue the arms to the appropriate back pieces, then add a set of magnets inside the torso so you can pull off the back/arms and attach the other variety.  Pretty ingenious actually. 

On 5/27/2019 at 10:57 PM, Evil Bob said:

It is kind of frustrating since I don’t get to call out, “Praise The SUN” before important charges.

I do tend to scream „For the Lady“ before charges...

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Honk said:

I do tend to scream „For the Lady“ before charges...

Excellent segway Honk into every Flayer attack being preferences with, “My Pegasus Knight(s) attacks the (enemy name).”  Some people legit stop and stare.  But so many of those old-hammer players have that look.  The kind where you know they want to believe and buy into the madness.

Occasionally getting to drop a battalion called Deathwatch is just icing on the cake.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, exliontamer said:

Crypt Horrors/Flayers technically utilize the same front torso pieces and backs, but the kit has separate back pieces that are for the bat-like guys you can build from Vampire Counts days. So if you don't mind using the boney back for one and the furry back for the other you can glue the arms to the appropriate back pieces, then add a set of magnets inside the torso so you can pull off the back/arms and attach the other variety.  Pretty ingenious actually. 

Yeah that video cleared it up quite a bit, I was thinking @Aleister was removing the whole torso, not just the back part.

Of course, now I'm just upset that I built 9 of them before finding out about this. I had to get creative using the Vargheist back piece to convert a new "leader" for a flayer unit since GW likes for us to build our Courtiers out of the same standard kits.

9 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

you know they want to believe and buy into the madness.

As is your holy duty as Abhorrent!!!

To spread the believe, defend the realms and bring honor upon the Ladys name...

I challenge you, Foul fiend of the Underworlds, in the name of cosmic justice and for the glory of the princess of Dundee. My righteous fury will smite theeeee!!!

Greetings Everyone,

Another new member of the FEC after taking the plunge into AoS after years of 40k. 

Basically I have 2 start collecting boxes and this list below is my aim with Arkhan as I live the model (though could be persuaded of another version of the model neferata etc).

I'm building all tomorrow and I want to double check two things.

Question - For a casual gaming group (so not looking for GT level of list building) is this;

A) Legal?

B) What artefacts, traits and lores to pick and where to put them.

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Hollowmourne
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist(400)
- Artefact: The Dermal Robe 
- Lore of Madness: Monstrous Vigour
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
Crypt Infernal Courtier (120)
- General
- Trait: Frenzied Flesh-eater 
Arkhan the Black Mortarch of Sacrament(320)
- Allies

Battleline
6 x Crypt Flayers (340)
6 x Crypt Flayers (340)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)

Battalions
Deathmarch (160)

Total: 1880 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 320 / 400
Wounds: 99

Also just a quick note thanks to this forum and regulars it made it an easy decision to pick death!! 

3 minutes ago, Finklelord said:

I may be new to the game, but I am not seeing this in our battle tome. Am I missing something? Or is this a Legion of Naggash thing?

You are right I mistakenly put that instead of Deathwatch (the flayers) battalion for 110 points. 

My mistake 😂

6 minutes ago, Blisterfeet said:

You are right I mistakenly put that instead of Deathwatch (the flayers) battalion for 110 points. 

My mistake 😂

All good. In that case you need 3 units of Flayers for Deadwatch.

And looking at Arkhan I am not sure what he brings to the table for you other than better spells. None of our units have the "Summonable" keyword so that ability is wasted on him (unless I am missing something). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finklelord said:

All good. In that case you need 3 units of Flayers for Deadwatch.

And looking at Arkhan I am not sure what he brings to the table for you other than better spells. None of our units have the "Summonable" keyword so that ability is wasted on him (unless I am missing something). 

This is all good feedback so I appreciate it.

I was looking for a FEC core with the addition of an Ally that synergizes with the army. 

Would you have any recommendations of how I would do this? With the basis I already own to SC boxes. (I know you said you were fairly new yourself)

Be as blunt as you like. Only stipulation is I play in a friendly environment so a super tuned list may make me 'that guy'.

4 hours ago, Blisterfeet said:

I was looking for a FEC core with the addition of an Ally that synergizes with the army. 

Would you have any recommendations of how I would do this? With the basis I already own to SC boxes. (I know you said you were fairly new yourself)

Be as blunt as you like. Only stipulation is I play in a friendly environment so a super tuned list may make me 'that guy'.

If you really want allies the Mortis Engine looks pretty good for buffing out spells and healing. I haven't play tested it at all, but looking at what allies we can take the Mortis Engine looks the most promising. And it's not that expensive point wise when compared to the rest of our army. 

Take everything I say with a grain of salt as I only have a half dozen games under my belt. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Blisterfeet said:

I'm new too, but have done quite well so far with FEC. 

I really don't think I would ever run a FEC list without at least one AAR. I can attribute plenty of victories to an early alpha strike with a buffed AGKOTG attacking twice instantly removing some of their key synergy, deleting whole elite units etc. He also almost completely replaces his points value instantly and then gives you 2 spells and unbinds (at +2 via artefact and trait if you want to make him the general). Outside of that, I did run Grim Garland on AGKOTG for a while and liked it, and if you are okay with realm artefacts the feather charm granting -1 to hit and +1 move is nice. I'm not sure how I feel about the lores myself yet. Blood Feast should be strong but just never seems to work out. Deranged transformation is nice on the knight units for sure. You will almost always be casting Vigour with the AGKOTG in my experience so it doesn't matter too much. 

I'm yet to play Hollowmourne, but I did run the numbers on a fun list and if the AGKOTG can get the jump on their artefact holding unit (which with the movement you can unless they bubble it)  you will kill it basically no matter what it is. With a decent AAR buff too you could probably get 30 - 40 wounds through against something with a 3+ save assuming average rolls and no MW mitigation 😛

Edited by ByronicHero