Battleline
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)

Endless Spells
Chalice of Ushoran (40)

Total: 600 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 8
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 47

Thanks to Feast Day you will never fight just once if you manage to keep you regent alive and will always have CPs to autopass battleshock, summon courtier (preferably varghulf because with regent's buff and Frenzy he will kick any ass you'd like being kicked), cast chalice, spam Blood Feast at enemy and watch your ghouls never break +1 attack treshold. It also makes you only a 2 drop army so if your nighthaunt squire keeps his army around 2-3 drops I think you can control the first turn most of the time.

Oh, and you will give your opponents a hell of a challenge to cast their spells with 2 +2 unbinds a turn

That seems pretty sweet aswell. Drop the throne up front as a nice LoS blocker for the archregent to hide behind and putting the chalice right between the enemy unit and my ghouls for maximum effect with a varghulf closeby for extra heals and character hunter if needs be

On 4/27/2019 at 12:01 AM, Honk said:

Sounds great...

thing with horrors/flayers is the 2+\rerolling1s treelord, but your gkotg should cough out enough mortal wounds for that.

Remember to first reroll then modify.

then also keep in mind the wood-teleportation thingy which can be blocked by your summoned units. Also gristlegore always strike first rule might come in handy, when durthu or the ancient tries to hit you in the head...

You dont actually have to reroll first and then modify anymore with crypt horrors. 

With the new warscroll they can reroll all their hit rolls as well as their failed hit rolls, so you can just reroll anything that isn't a 5+ vs dryads for example.

• Thanks 1

New Hollomourne list idea w/ Varghulf Courtier General 

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Hollowmourne

Leaders
Abhorrant Archregent (200)
- Lore of Madness: Miasmal Shroud
- Artefact: The Dermal Robe 
- Lore of Madness: Blood Feast
Crypt Haunter Courtier (120)
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- General
- Trait: Grave Robber 
- Artefact: Corpsefane Gauntlet 
Crypt Ghast Courtier (60)

Battleline
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
6 x Crypt Horrors (320)
6 x Crypt Horrors (320)

Battalions
Abattoir (120)

Endless Spells
Chalice of Ushoran (40)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 120

Rough idea is; 

Regents sit on throne and summon whatever is most appropriate. cast miasma on general or themselves. 

Varghulf general is for character hunting. +1 to attacks and Damage within 3" characters with artifacts and on a 2+ D3 mortals from Hollomourne trait and artifact. 

Chalice + all the courtiers provide healing as does blood fest spell.

Abattoir battalion gives more mortals which are important due to low amount of rend. 

Horrors hit things.

List is for fairly casual games, i wanted to use the abattoir batallion so that led me to Hollomourne. I also dont feel like using the BIG BOIS so the trait and artifact where wasted on regents, but they look pretty interesting on a Varghulf. 

Fluff for army covers why the Vargulf is the general. My host is very old. The King and Queen's madness has absorbed them and they often spend years in a slumber. The Varghulf general commands the host and makes sure their is food available in their labyrinth of caves for the King and Queen.

All of the grunts have gouged their eyes out as they briefly slip out of their delusion often due to the waning power of the regents. Seeing the hell that they inhabit as a nightmare of their reality.  Means i don't have to paint eyes, which is great....

Let me know what you think, I haven't seen may Varghulf's in lists as they are better to summon, but i thought these artifacts made it worth paying for.  

Edited by CourtsCourt
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I'm on the fence with the chalice too, in part because I don't want to spend the cash when I don't think I'll use the other 2.

I think it depends on what else you're taking. If you have 2+ archregents, I think it's almost an auto include. If 0-1 Regents, it's basically balanced, not definitively good or bad. 

12 hours ago, CourtsCourt said:

New Hollomourne list idea w/ Varghulf Courtier General 

- Grand Court: Hollowmourne

Leaders
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- General
- Trait: Grave Robber 
- Artefact: Corpsefane Gauntlet 
Crypt Ghast Courtier (60)

Battleline
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
6 x Crypt Horrors (320)
6 x Crypt Horrors (320)

Battalions
Abattoir (120)

Endless Spells
Chalice of Ushoran (40)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Wounds: 120

Rough idea is; 

Regents sit on throne and summon whatever is most appropriate. cast miasma on general or themselves. 

Varghulf general is for character hunting. +1 to attacks and Damage within 3" characters with artifacts and on a 2+ D3 mortals from Hollomourne trait and artifact. 

Chalice + all the courtiers provide healing as does blood fest spell.

Abattoir battalion gives more mortals which are important due to low amount of rend. 

Horrors hit things.

List is for fairly casual games, i wanted to use the abattoir batallion so that led me to Hollomourne. I also dont feel like using the BIG BOIS so the trait and artifact where wasted on regents, but they look pretty interesting on a Varghulf. 

Fluff for army covers why the Vargulf is the general. My host is very old. The King and Queen's madness has absorbed them and they often spend years in a slumber. The Varghulf general commands the host and makes sure their is food available in their labyrinth of caves for the King and Queen.

All of the grunts have gouged their eyes out as they briefly slip out of their delusion often due to the waning power of the regents. Seeing the hell that they inhabit as a nightmare of their reality.  Means i don't have to paint eyes, which is great....

Let me know what you think, I haven't seen may Varghulf's in lists as they are better to summon, but i thought these artifacts made it worth paying for.  

So... here are my thoughts about your list:

- The MW provided by the Battlaion is not reliable. It only work against Hordes and in a 1/6 ratio - besides this, Horrors are already good at dealing with Hordes.
- Seeing that you are using Varghulf, I'd take a look at "Royal Mordants" - the extra move given by the battalion is amazing for your Big Horror unit.
- I know you don't fell using BIG BOIS, but maybe take a look at GKonZD (Dragon). Its buff - re roll wounds - is amazing paired with horrors, as it help the Wound of 6 to proc into 3 Damage.
- Crypt Ghast + Chalice are both amazing to make your huge blob of Ghouls survive. But take in consideration that is kind easy to snipe this hero - maybe changing the 2nd Artefact (From the Archrenget - it is good but not mandatory) and using something defensively on it.

Overall a nice list for a semi-competitive/casual environment. Good that you brought more CPs to bring those amazing Feeding Frenzy!

1 hour ago, 18121812 said:

I'm on the fence with the chalice too, in part because I don't want to spend the cash when I don't think I'll use the other 2.

I think it depends on what else you're taking. If you have 2+ archregents, I think it's almost an auto include. If 0-1 Regents, it's basically balanced, not definitively good or bad. 

1200 point battles. I suspect the best use of it for me is plonking it down next to my AGKOTG who then becomes even more of an aggro sink, especially as usually he has unholy vitality on himself for all of the saves. I am going to leave it in the list because I want to actually play with it before discarding it, but so far I have tended to find better uses for my spells. I agree that in a 2000 points game I would have 2+ AAR personally and then would certainly include it. 

I'm also yet to successfully cast the barricade. I managed to fail to cast it the one time I tried with my AAR with both Dermal Robe and Dark Wizardry 😛 

Evidently I am not very magical :(

5 hours ago, ByronicHero said:

Evidently I am not very magical

You are... just not your Abhorrants.

my trouble with the endless spells is the limited casting attempts. The AAR always casts hunger and usually his lore spell. The others use their signature spells... who is supposed to throw out the chalice?! And with a 5+ the opponent can dispel it pretty easily.

12 hours ago, Masake said:

So... here are my thoughts about your list:

- The MW provided by the Battlaion is not reliable. It only work against Hordes and in a 1/6 ratio - besides this, Horrors are already good at dealing with Hordes.
- Seeing that you are using Varghulf, I'd take a look at "Royal Mordants" - the extra move given by the battalion is amazing for your Big Horror unit.
- I know you don't fell using BIG BOIS, but maybe take a look at GKonZD (Dragon). Its buff - re roll wounds - is amazing paired with horrors, as it help the Wound of 6 to proc into 3 Damage.
- Crypt Ghast + Chalice are both amazing to make your huge blob of Ghouls survive. But take in consideration that is kind easy to snipe this hero - maybe changing the 2nd Artefact (From the Archrenget - it is good but not mandatory) and using something defensively on it.

Overall a nice list for a semi-competitive/casual environment. Good that you brought more CPs to bring those amazing Feeding Frenzy!

Thanks for the feedback! 

Hadn't even thought of the royal mordants battalion, great idea! will drop my drops as well. 

ZD is definitely my preferred biggen as i can summon more Varghulfs. I will try a list without the battalion and shave some points to try it. 

Gotta have them CP's.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Honk said:

You are... just not your Abhorrants.

my trouble with the endless spells is the limited casting attempts. The AAR always casts hunger and usually his lore spell. The others use their signature spells... who is supposed to throw out the chalice?! And with a 5+ the opponent can dispel it pretty easily.

Spot on. It is basically just the first turn when generally nothing is in range of the Blood Feast. but even then my AGKOTG is usually planning to zip up the board so I prefer to throw the Mystic on him just to give him all the saves and re-rolls. 

I was tempted to take Hollowmourne and use the 6 horrors as 2 x 3 battle line and juggle the spells to also get an extra command point. 

AGKOTG, AAR (+2 cast and unbind), 6 x horror, 2 x 10 x Ghouls + barricade and chalice (summoning 3 x flayers and 1 x Varghulf) = 1190

Would become:

AGOTG(+ damage vs artefacts) , AAR, 2 x 3 x horror, Varghulf + stampede + 1 extra CP (summoning 20 ghouls and = 1190

The benefit being better mortal wound output and the ability for the AGKOTG to travel ~36" up the board, ideally with AAR buff, and with average rolls kill pretty much anything holding an artefact. I'm sure this isn't better, but would be pretty sweet against anyone bringing a monster I can auto-delete. Would easily 1 shot a star drake. 

In other news, I am pretty tempted to buy Nagash as he looks cool but nobody seems to use him with many FEC models from what I have seen (the odd VLONZD). Do the ghouls and such not count as 'summonable'?

5 hours ago, ByronicHero said:

Do the ghouls and such not count as 'summonable

Days long gone... ghouls are not even listed in LoN anymore.

if you are feeling crazy, you could GA:Death a list, but that just pushes you back into GHB17 desaster. No lores, no gravesites, but you could choose another general instead of Nagash 🥳

2 minutes ago, Honk said:

Days long gone... ghouls are not even listed in LoN anymore.

if you are feeling crazy, you could GA:Death a list, but that just pushes you back into GHB17 desaster. No lores, no gravesites, but you could choose another general instead of Nagash 🥳

I see - thanks. I think if he would realistically require a new army to be built around him I'd rather a different flavour. I shall have to think about it. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ByronicHero said:

if he would realistically require a new army to be built around him

Don’t know how he is supposed to cast the fec endless spells (4k army,800ally?)

my ghouls need to stand in as zombies, but there are very few usable while not min/max Nagash lists

On 5/2/2019 at 12:41 PM, ByronicHero said:

I'm also yet to successfully cast the barricade. I managed to fail to cast it the one time I tried with my AAR with both Dermal Robe and Dark Wizardry 😛 

Ouch.

Try allying a Corpse Cart to make the flubs even more impressive.  Although I’m not a big fan of allies considering the importance allegiance abilities have in Death armies.

Between Hobby-time last Wednesday I pulled a quick battle against a Fyreslayers buddy.  Two objectives, hold both at the end of a turn to win, ties determined by slain unit values.

980 FEC (Feast Day)

Abhorrent Archregent (Dermal Robe & Dark Wizardry) 200

40x Crypt Ghouls 360

40x Crypt Ghouls 360

Crypt Ghast Courtier 60

He had a leader and unit in reserves with a deep strike.  My deployment was done first but I had him go first.

My strategy was to save the summoned unit until the turn before I thought it was needed.  Avoid a big brawl with all of his forces on my forces at the same time.  Oddly enough everything worked as hoped and planned.  His deep strikers showed up close to my objective so I was able to focus on them first.  It resulted in a ghoul unit under ten models before the dwarves were cleared.  The rest of his army left his deployment zone and after marching across the table systematically ground a whole unit of ghouls to dust.  The sacrifice was worth it keeping him from my objective and holding his dwarves there.  It also left me open to summon twenty ghouls in his rear line to get his objective.  It was really surprising since he could have easily left one unit of mortal spamming jerks behind.  They would have been a scary match up for a unit of unsupported ghouls.

A few take-a-ways:
  • Feast Day feels more like the current power-creep meta than an exception that needs nerfing.
  • Any sort of hit or wounding roll penalty really stuffs Crypt Ghouls good.
  • Not being able to get Dark Wizardry with Blisterskin makes me a sad panda.
  • Using Greenstuff to model a Dermal Robe on an Archregent was the best forecasted move of collecting this entire army.
  • Because my forces were being skittish the courtier only returned ten ghouls.  Which was still good since it was only by the grace of four ghouls he was delayed by one turn. The alt list had endless spells instead.
  • Dwarf battlelines that get to attack after dying are vicious.
  • Dwarves being able to fight first is terrifying.  A unit dropped below twenty ghouls on my turn because of that trick.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Evil Bob said:

feels more like the current power-creep meta

Saw a game on MWG today and them naked beards are crazy.

Always strike first - check

fight after slain - check

massiv debuffs - check 

4+ invulnerability - check

ignore battleshock - check

thoughts on this list for a tournament?

- Grand Court: Blisterskin
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Abhorrant Archregent (200)
- General
- Trait: Hellish Orator
- Artefact: Eye of Hysh
- Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
Crypt Infernal Courtier (120)
- Artefact: The Flayed Pennant
Abhorrant Ghoul King (140)
- Lore of Madness: Bonestorm
Abhorrant Ghoul King (140)
- Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation

Battleline
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)

Behemoths
Royal Terrorgheist (300)
Royal Zombie Dragon (300)

Battalions
Deadwatch (110)

Endless Spells
Corpsemare Stampede (60)

Total: 1880 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 89

On 5/2/2019 at 3:55 PM, 18121812 said:

IMO the Chalice is brokenly over powered (like everything else we have). Stick it near a GKoTG and watch him go from 2 wounds remaining to full health after he's slaughtered a horde unit, it's at that point you can almost see your opponents soul leave their body.

The stampede is pretty good as well, my opponent and I were comparing it the other day against his Fyreslayer's magmic invocations. It more reliably does more MWs, has a huge movement and can potentially be set up half the board away

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

thoughts on this list for a tournament?

To be honest... that list is very „vegan“ compared to all the meaty and cheesy lists out there.

3 flayers are not enough to delete units or claim objectives...

scratch one king and the dragon and up two units to 6 or one to nine... and sit the other king on his mount (gheist) they are so much better together. With a varghulf you’re at 1900...

Yesterday I had  my first ever AOS tournament (small local store one) and my first competitive games. 

I managed to win all three games and thus the tournament, which was cool. It qualified me for the final later in the year. My third round game was against another FEC player and the game was so close it came down to one round of attacks from my horrors. My opponent was extremely pleasant which helped make it the most enjoyable game I've had. 

My impressions:

AAR is disgustingly efficient.

Chalice was never very useful, nor was barricade. Still unconvinced I want the chalice over an extra CP with one AAR.

I like horrors a lot more than flayers. Just seems to be a lot of high bravery in the local meta and the re-rolls to hit become extremely strong with AAR buff. 

The different battle plans and realm rules really do mix up the way you have to play. 

All in all it was great fun actually. 

I think I am going to glue my other behemoth today. Might make it a AGKOZD for the variation. The AOE buff seems like it could be excellent with a blob of horrors. AAR buff, re-rolling all the things and then attacking twice. Good luck to anything trying to survive that. 

• Thanks 1

Good day community. I've tinkering with friendly yet temathic concept of 2k army for my wife and had come up with Grand Feast idea.

Main theme is about abhorrants who gave their Chief in charge the rights to serve the grandeur feast. Thats why the general is a Courtier with medal and magical trait - he is the star of show - and battalion is Abbatoir.

Mechanically we have a lot of casts, buffs and free CA - inspiring presense for ghouls blob from medal and feeding frenzy from delusion. Archregent will try to cast spectral hosts on other abhorrants, and they will buff our tarpit with resilience and chalice to be frontline and healing reserves for them. Even mandatory horrors could be buffed with deranged transformation and spectral hosts for quick objective grab or flank strike. Our beginning one CP shoul be used to summon two Vargulfs from AAG (free from throne) and ZD for backing up ghouls upfront. And then we even have a chance to bring in some flayers from TG later on or turn one.

Not sure about resilience trait on zd - maybe deepstriking is analternative. Anyway - what do you think about whole concept?

- Grand Court: Court of Delusion - The Feast Day

Leaders
- Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (400)
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon (440)
- Mount Trait: Horribly Resilient
- General
- Trait: Dark Acolyte 
-- Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation

- Artefact: Medal of Madness 

Battleline
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
3 x Crypt Horrors (160)
3 x Crypt Horrors (160)

Battalions
Abattoir (120)

Endless Spells
Chalice of Ushoran (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 105

Edited by Laier

Welp, finally time to stop talking about them and get to playing. Surprise escalation league is starting this week at 500 so the best thing I can think to come up with is the following:

Spoiler

- Grand Court: Morgaunt
- General
- Trait: Savage Chivalry 
- Artefact: Decrepit Coronet 
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Total: 500 / 500
Wounds: 37

Pretty bare-bones but not sure what else I could really do at 500. I assume I will be summoning in a Varghulf T1 to support the Ghouls, but throwing in another block of 20 Ghouls or 3 Flayers in their backline could be a decent choice as well. Armies will be a good mix between Sylvaneth, Nurgle, DoK, Idoneth, Tzeentch, Seraphon, NH, StD, Khorne... you name it. So far I'm the only FeC player.

After the first week we go to 750 and I was thinking along the lines of just throwing in another AAR and calling it a day.. or just go big on a AGKoTG with 2 minimum sized Ghoul units.

Suggestions welcome of course. I'll be posting the Batreps in my blog and of course getting more feedback on future lists throughout the weeks. Thanks!

• LOVE IT! 1

10 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Welp, finally time to stop talking about them and get to playing. Surprise escalation league is starting this week at 500 so the best thing I can think to come up with is the following:

Reveal hidden contents

- Grand Court: Morgaunt
- General
- Trait: Savage Chivalry 
- Artefact: Decrepit Coronet 
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Total: 500 / 500
Wounds: 37

Pretty bare-bones but not sure what else I could really do at 500. I assume I will be summoning in a Varghulf T1 to support the Ghouls, but throwing in another block of 20 Ghouls or 3 Flayers in their backline could be a decent choice as well. Armies will be a good mix between Sylvaneth, Nurgle, DoK, Idoneth, Tzeentch, Seraphon, NH, StD, Khorne... you name it. So far I'm the only FeC player.

After the first week we go to 750 and I was thinking along the lines of just throwing in another AAR and calling it a day.. or just go big on a AGKoTG with 2 minimum sized Ghoul units.

Suggestions welcome of course. I'll be posting the Batreps in my blog and of course getting more feedback on future lists throughout the weeks. Thanks!

Do you have to have 2 x BL all the way though?

If so then I would do the same at 500 points.

At 750 I would absolutely use the AGKOTG. My experience is that as long as you are intelligent with your positioning he will steamroll most things with the double attack. With only 3 drops you will be able to choose who goes first the vast majority of the time as well.  You can go Hollowmourne if you want to run up the board and auto-delete their general. 

I have only been playing for a month though, so pinch of salt and all that.