AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

10 ghouls without support... gone in a blink of an eye, but 20-30, maybe placed into terrain, with a ghast or varghulf as backup they have endurance and suddenly things start rolling

especially if your ghoulking suddenly starts being a douchebag and calling in the reserves

I'm wondering whether it would actually be viable to run Royal Family (boosted with majestic Horror) and Ghoul Patrol in the same army for a huge surge of first turn summoning and magical dominance through sheer number of wizards.

Probably not, but it'd be worth seeing if you could use the horrors/flayers and 10-ghoul units you can chain summon as distractions long enough to build your Ghoul Patrol units to an appreciable size.

18 minutes ago, CanHammer-darren said:

Too many points paying for battalions. 180 for ghoul patrol is pretty steap already

seems cheap, at least fair, from an economical perspective.

180 points equals 18 ghouls

with your first "reinforcement" roll you will get additional 3-18 ghouls (3xD6) - those additional ghouls (if slain) will count as slain models, so your courtier(s) will bring them back in addition to your next reinforcement roll of another additional 3-18 ghouls. in general you should be at 180+ points no later than your 2nd ghoul patrol reinforcement roll, feels like cell division or rise of the dead.. ;)

keep some courtiers nearby .. i like those double summoned varghulfs nearby my ghoulpatrol.. it's raining ghouls, flood 'em all!

• Like 2

Ghoul Patrol has a hefty price tag, but especially with your set up flexibility you’ll have them right „on target“ turn 1. 

i don‘t really like them in group of 10, because without backup they just evaporate. 

But a unit of 20 ghouls, regaining through a courtier and getting upped d6 each round... pretty solid.

The rest is just distraction carnifex and easy targets for your opponent to mess up his victory point game...

careful with ironjawz though befor presenting speedbumps ?

On 7/23/2018 at 10:34 AM, Glaurung said:

So that goes for royal family ad well!

1000 points of evocation with going above starting value is very good!

I’m not sure we can infer from Ghoul Patrol that royal family works (and as shown I love royal family). Battalion is worded that you add an additional to an eligible unit. But are units eligible if they are already at max strength. I would like to see a clarification from GW before playing it as such. 

Still a lot to love for FEC on changes especially as most armies got toned down FEC got improved again. 

Also so someone asked about double battalion it’s plausible I think

GKoZD majesty, lens of refraction 

2 GK, brooch of CP farm

Crypt Ghast

20/20/10 ghouls

6 horrors

ghoul patrol

royal family 

50 extra points (CP or spells)

3 rd relic to taste can see arguments for lots but crypt ghost with pennant could be nice with all the table edge stuff in the list. 

Edited by Reuben Parker
Army list
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Reuben Parker said:

I’m not sure we can infer from Ghoul Patrol that royal family works (and as shown I love royal family). Battalion is worded that you add an additional to an eligible unit. But are units eligible if they are already at max strength. I would like to see a clarification from GW before playing it as such. 

Still a lot to love for FEC on changes especially as most armies got toned down FEC got improved again. 

Also so someone asked about double battalion it’s plausible I think

GKoZD majesty, lens of refraction 

2 GK, brooch of CP farm

Crypt Ghast

20/20/10 ghouls

6 horrors

ghoul patrol

royal family 

50 extra points (CP or spells)

3 rd relic to taste can see arguments for lots but crypt ghost with pennant could be nice with all the table edge stuff in the list. 

This is interesting, but I fear you are very vulnerable in your first turn, because you start adding horrors from the second turn.

I think it works, but an FAQ would have been nice...

I think the real problem with royal family spam are the command points.  

And a king with 10 ghouls doesn’t really packs a punch and without a ghast they’ll be toast in no time and punched off an objective.

I thought about a triple monster list with 20/20/10 ghoulpatrol. GKoZD with majestic summoning two varghulfs and the GKoTG summoning complementary horrors or flayers... 

Edited by Honk
What I forgot to mention with gk spam: wizzards yes, spells to cast none
  • Like 1

Royal Family looks meh to me. Essentially it reads "if you take 3 GK, you pay 10 points for an artifact and +1 on Courtiers' returning abilities". Looks like a good deal except you now have massively redundant spellcasting and summoning on an otherwise unimpressive model. Unless you're using realm spells, you'll be forced to cast shield / bolt with two of these guys, and are you really using 3 rounds' worth of command points on Man-at-Arms? Probably only if you're not even fielding a GKoTG/GKoZD.

If the courtiers additional ability to “add “ means that we can bring units over additional size, like for ghoul patrol, you are looking at a list with potentially 1000 points worth of summoning and that can have bigger units.

You can try to buy some endless spells and we still need to see if tournaments will use realms magic... I think it’s worth to try it!

1 hour ago, Glaurung said:

If the courtiers additional ability to “add “

they changes the wording of the call-men-at-Arms to „return slain models...“ only the patrol really increases the unit size

and even there I would guess only if the unit reaches the limit befor it adds the models, not having something like 15 models, but 23 as unit size 

33 minutes ago, Honk said:

they changes the wording of the call-men-at-Arms to „return slain models...“ only the patrol really increases the unit size

and even there I would guess only if the unit reaches the limit befor it adds the models, not having something like 15 models, but 23 as unit size 

I was talking about Lords of the Manor, the ability that is given by the royal family...

If, starting with 6horrors, I can go up to 8, having two courtiers, then we have something that can be really good.

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2018 at 11:40 PM, Inqy said:

I'm wondering whether it would actually be viable to run Royal Family (boosted with majestic Horror) and Ghoul Patrol in the same army for a huge surge of first turn summoning and magical dominance through sheer number of wizards.

Probably not, but it'd be worth seeing if you could use the horrors/flayers and 10-ghoul units you can chain summon as distractions long enough to build your Ghoul Patrol units to an appreciable size.

That’s what I’m running

GKoZD general majestic horrow

GK

GK

ghast

40/40/10 ghouls

royal family 

ghoul patrol

1950 for a command point 

5 hours ago, lord_blackfang said:

Royal Family looks meh to me. Essentially it reads "if you take 3 GK, you pay 10 points for an artifact and +1 on Courtiers' returning abilities". Looks like a good deal except you now have massively redundant spellcasting and summoning on an otherwise unimpressive model. Unless you're using realm spells, you'll be forced to cast shield / bolt with two of these guys, and are you really using 3 rounds' worth of command points on Man-at-Arms? Probably only if you're not even fielding a GKoTG/GKoZD.

Well it’s summoned by your General with double summoning so you get two. Plus they are more than capable of back field tying up or harassing small units. Then later ghoul units are gravy. 

Glaurung has pointed out also the add wording for the additional plus one. So they’re then unit size trciks to go above. Plus when I ran it I had the pendulum and casting that from a summoned GK was amazing. 

I am a big fan of royal family hut as always horses for courses battalions for players. Looks to me like Royal Family and Ghoul Patrol are the two best and can even be run together (units start on the small side though$ 

Ok this list idea is more of a spitball one and maybe terrible. Just trying to maximize the royal family add model wording and really this list wants to play defensive for first 2 hero turns throwing some chump blockers forward to buy time (as could add 6 horrors by then) luckily we will have loads of ghoul units.

GKoZD magestic horror

2GK 

2horror courtier 

3*10 ghoul 

6 horror 

3 horror

royal family 

70 points probably cogs or a couple of offensive spells which can also work as speed bumps (pendulum and gravetide)

also not sure on items but CP farm I think really helps FEC but as someone pointed out my other goto the lens is now nerfed