AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

On 2/24/2019 at 3:55 PM, Stunt said:

I haven't seen any talk about the Royal Mordants battalion, although it is one of the few battalion to have received a buff in the new book. I have played it twice now in Blisterskin and I must say 40 Ghouls moving 16" is pretty dope !

The only downside is it seems I cannot bring up one of the knights unit from the battalion to 6 without removing anything else essential from the list... Having hard choices to make is the sign internal balance is quite good I guess :)

Any other Mordant fans around there ?

I'm a huge fan of Royal Mordants in Blisterskin, though it looks like I took a different angle than you. Been playing with a pile of horrors and only a token force of ghouls. The redeploy CA makes it super easy to keep my Vargulf with my army, and when summoning one in they can be relevant much faster. Putting the artefact on the Vargulf to get -2 to hit him after look out sir is also pretty fantastic. 

8 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Anyone here use Hobbit goblins as ghouls?

As an opponent would you be cool with it?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Goblin-Warriors-2018

Not only do I have have hobbit goblins as ghouls, I converted the goblin king to an arch regent! They look exactly the part once you add a matching paint job and some opponents haven’t even noticed that I sprinkle them about my hordes. My local GW store is one that doesn’t ban anything, we even have people painting competitors models in store sometimes as the manager uses the logic that they still buy the paints. So as you can imagine practically any conversion and reasonable counts as is allowed even at the tournaments (as long as it’s 80 percent gw product). You just need to be clear! And with goblins I don’t think it gets any more clear, if people mistake them for another unit then they are prolly just beginning to play and wouldn’t even know the army you are playing to begin with!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Marthen said:

If I’m running two six strong bricks of horrors, should I almost always bring a varghulf and haunter courtier? I assume so, but is it more point efficient to summon them on by command abilities? Especially Imperial Guard with a Charnel Throne?

It’s more efficient to run courtiers then summon new units, and as our units are below strength the summoned units of 3 are not great as a solo unit (but in conjunction with another they will be fine of course! Just don’t run them into similar sized heavy infantry unless it’s ogor units of the same size) basically a courtier brings back an average of 2 a turn every turn, as opposed to a single 3 block summon (honestly you should summon in the varghulf courtier and run the haunter in your list if you are looking for efficiency) and if you want a scarier list take the abhorrant ghoul king or arch regent as a warlord and run the battalion using a haunter and two units of ghouls for rerolls at any range!

rememebr that you need your horrors to die to use the courtiers ability, and Wiped out blocks won’t be useful but with blocks of 6 you shouldn’t suffer that too often

Edited by TheadTheOgorSlayer

Do you find 2 units of 6 horrors is better than 1 unit of 9 and another of 3? There is a benefit to both (one being easier to buff and  send out to maul pretty much anything to death, whereas running two does give you some tactical flexibility) so I am interested in seeing what other people are using. I'm running Hollowmourne grand court and only had one game with them so far but man do those horrors hit like to ton of bricks. The one big unit managed to chew through most of 9 spirit hosts in a single turn allowing me to take their objective and severely cripple his nighthaunt army. 

Edited by Pellynor
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pellynor said:

Do you find 2 units of 6 horrors is better than 1 unit of 9 and another of 3? There is a benefit to both (one being easier to buff and  send out to maul pretty much anything to death, whereas running two does give you some tactical flexibility) so I am interested in seeing what other people are using. I'm running Hollowmourne grand court and only had one game with them so far but man do those horrors hit like to ton of bricks. The one big unit managed to chew through most of 9 spirit hosts in a single turn allowing me to take their objective and severely cripple his nighthaunt army. 

Haha yes! The one good thing with lack of rend is we aren’t paying points for an ability that doesn’t effect ethereal units! As for unit size, I find a small unit of horrors is out performed by ghouls of similar points. Depending on the opponent 3 ghouls just isn’t useful on it’s own at higher points (in my opinion) so at least 6 is mandatory as small units of horrors are grossly out performed by flayers in small units (as a fast hammer unit to harass heroes with mortal wounds while also picking off artillery and such is better to me then a small unit who loses to anything not a minimum size unit. But that’s just my two cents, my most common opponents are ogors and sigmarines so low units of horrors either can’t contend with min sized units of ironguts (therefore are useless as chaff, which means I’d rather take ghouls instead) or don’t do enough damage to break sigmarite armour... so for me at least 6 in a unit is damn near required to be useful. But I’m sure against horde lists small units of horrors would be useful for keeping objectives with ghoul support or hitting those min battle line units off of back field objectives (but again I think flayers are better for this role in minimum units) 

tldr:a minimum size flayer unit will out perform a minimum size horror unit as there is little reason to buff said unit. Even if you kept both units within range of the abhorrant it begs the question why not make it a single unit of 12 since they are so close together anyways? In all the roles a minimum size unit could perform flayers or ghouls do better. Although I’m biased with the armies I have to fight as a min size unit does nothing vs ironguts and ogors of similar stats but cheaper value nor is it effective vs high armor foes like sigmarines 

3 hours ago, Pellynor said:

Do you find 2 units of 6 horrors is better than 1 unit of 9 and another of 3?

Depends on your table, objectives and opponent...

having a superbuffed 12 strong murdermob rampaging into the enemy is very nice. But you can also get countered pretty easy. Some debuffs and a tarpit and you’re stuck.

positioning 12 dudes between the trees or into your enemy is also tricky...

4 hours ago, Pellynor said:

Do you find 2 units of 6 horrors is better than 1 unit of 9 and another of 3

I tried running 9 and 3 against nagash and you can imagine thet it didn't work quite well, even though they still did good damage under debuffs, having two units of 6 would have been more optimal.
I think running huge 9-12 units is needed when you want to alpha-strike opponent with royal mordants to tie him up in his deployment (worked really well with Vanguard Wing so it's something to consider)

• Like 1

Entered a 1000 point tournament in March. Got 2 weeks to paint all of the crypt Flayers, want to go with

Court:Blisterskin

crypt flayer infernal

abhorrent Archregent 

3x flayers

3xflayers

3 x flayers

Deadwatch batallion

endless spell: chalice 

What do people think? Is it enough stuff on the board? 

Spoiler
3 hours ago, papary said:

Entered a 1000 point tournament in March. Got 2 weeks to paint all of the crypt Flayers, want to go with

crypt flayer infernal

abhorrent Archregent 

3x flayers

3xflayers

3 x flayers

Deadwatch batallion

110 pts battalion on 1000 pts causes mixed feelings, I ❤️ deadwatch but at 1000 pts including it's "only one unit" nerf it doesn't look right and 11% spending on battalion.. whew

would love to see your report of that match ;)

1 hour ago, Fluttershy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

110 pts battalion on 1000 pts causes mixed feelings, I ❤️ deadwatch but at 1000 pts including it's "only one unit" nerf it doesn't look right and 11% spending on battalion.. whew

would love to see your report of that match ;)

It’ll go one way or the other I’d suspect! I’ll let you know!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Pellynor said:

Id strongly consider 9-12 to alpha strike. If you can  drop less, you chose turn 1 and get to charge before they can debuff you. otherwise id consider min.

I personally wouldnt make a deathstar unless i can guarantee combat. Otherwise you will get debuffed/neutered /chaffed. 

13 hours ago, papary said:

crypt flayer infernal

abhorrent Archregent 

3x flayers

3xflayers

3 x flayers

Deadwatch batallion

I'd rather go 

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Court of Delusion - The Feast Day

Leaders
Abhorrant Archregent (200)
- Artefact: The Dermal Robe 
- Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation
Crypt Infernal Courtier (120)
- General
- Trait: Frenzied Flesh-eater 

Battleline
6 x Crypt Flayers (340)
6 x Crypt Flayers (340)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 61

Such model distribution makes sure that there will be something to ressurect for courtier, because it's not hard to burst through 12 5+ 6++ wounds in one turn. And chalice doesn't really benefit you in this list

Edit: to get enough stuff on the board summon 20 ghouls

Edited by XReN
  • Like 1

Spoiler
1 hour ago, XReN said:

I'd rather go 

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Court of Delusion - The Feast Day

Leaders
Abhorrant Archregent (200)
- Artefact: The Dermal Robe 
- Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation
Crypt Infernal Courtier (120)
- General
- Trait: Frenzied Flesh-eater 

Battleline
6 x Crypt Flayers (340)
6 x Crypt Flayers (340)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 61

Such model distribution makes sure that there will be something to ressurect for courtier, because it's not hard to burst through 12 5+ 6++ wounds in one turn. And chalice doesn't really benefit you in this list

Edit: to get enough stuff on the board summon 20 ghouls

looks solid ;)

i would prefer Dark Acolyte to buff the Flayers even more, if your infernal get focused summon in a varghulf & don't forget the missile attack of the infernal ;)

8 minutes ago, Bodric said:

I'm pretty new to FEC so may be missing something obvious, but... I can't see any good reason to take a Varghulf in any list. Does anyone ever use them? What can they do that the other courtiers can't do better?

the varghulf supports Ghouls, Horrors & Flayers, has 8 HP, gains re-rolls hit for nerby casting, has a decent dmg output and heals if he slew a model

i like them more than the other courtiers ;)

and he can fly

Edited by Fluttershy