Jump to content

AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion


Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, CanHammer-darren said:

Does royal family ability cost you a CP? It’s not specifically labeled a command ability but replaces the command ability 

The errata says "You can use this command ability..."

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished off this unit.  Total of painted Ghouls now at 110. Maybe I am the crazy one.

Hey guys. This is Bill, the FEC player. I have been playing Nurgle in tournaments the past year but wanted to pull the FEC out of retirement with 2.0 since it was my first love of AoS. Before GHB I ha

I finally got my last AGK on TG converted up. He is ready to get primed and hop in the painting que.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, CanHammer-darren said:

Bit confused by royal family. 

So your GKonTG in your royal family can summon a ghoul king instead of horrors/flayers. Still costs you a CP from what I can see? And then GK can only summon ghouls.   

The courtier models can only heal not summon. Vargulf doesn’t summon. So how does royal family actually add horrors/flayers?

3 hours ago, Honk said:

It doesn’t... 

You can summon twice with majestic horror for one cp.

royal family let’s you call in a new king, if you have less than 6 on the board...which of course can call in his unit instantly.

Got to have all the command points for that of course...

I was referring to the Lords of the Manor ability from the Royal Family.  You summon in two Vargulfs with the AGKoZD  (with Majestic Horror) then when you regrow Horrors you get how many +5s you roll plus an additional two free from the battalion (one for each Vargulf).  Makes the Horror unit very hard to get rid of. 

The Lords of the Manor paragraph was not changed and it says "Each time a Courtier in your army uses an ability to call forth additional FEC models, add one ...

The Lord of the Manor section has always applied to the Vargulf To The King Ability so I do not see why that has changed.  So therefore the regrow buff seems fine.  The potential cheese part seems to be if you can go above the starting size of Horrors with the Vargulf To The King Ability. I would say not (and I did not play it that way) because of the not going over starting size prescription.  However, honestly even if it let us go over the starting size it would not suddenly make our army broken, it would throw us a bone in a field where we are still a little underpowered.

Edited by TheWilddog
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanHammer-darren said:

 If your vargulf silk have to be within 10” to restore models and they have to start within 6” of an edge? Presuming your horrors are not chilling at edge

Yea the range can be a little limiting but its pretty easy to bring in the Vargulfs on the first turn wherever you have the Horrors and have them set up in regrow range.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

The potential cheese part seems to be if you can go above the starting size of Horrors with the Vargulf To The King Ability.

you're only allowed to return slain models

 

FEC Errata June 2018:

Page 81 – Varghulf Courtier, To the King! Change to: ‘To the King!: In your hero phase, you can roll 6 dice for each friendly Varghulf Courtier on the battlefield. For each 2+, you can return 1 slain model to a friendly Crypt Ghouls unit that is within 10" of that Varghulf Courtier. For each 5+, you can return 1 slain model to a friendly Crypt Horrors or Crypt Flayers unit that is within 10" of that Varghulf Courtier instead. Slain models can be returned to more than one unit if you wish, but each successful dice roll can only be used to return a model to a single unit.’

 

other than the Warscroll Battalion Ability in "Ghoul Patrol", here you may add ghouls up to the maximum unit size of 40 ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fluttershy said:

you're only allowed to return slain models

 

FEC Errata June 2018:

Page 81 – Varghulf Courtier, To the King! Change to: ‘To the King!: In your hero phase, you can roll 6 dice for each friendly Varghulf Courtier on the battlefield. For each 2+, you can return 1 slain model to a friendly Crypt Ghouls unit that is within 10" of that Varghulf Courtier. For each 5+, you can return 1 slain model to a friendly Crypt Horrors or Crypt Flayers unit that is within 10" of that Varghulf Courtier instead. Slain models can be returned to more than one unit if you wish, but each successful dice roll can only be used to return a model to a single unit.’

 

other than the Warscroll Battalion Ability in "Ghoul Patrol", here you may add ghouls up to the maximum unit size of 40 ;)

Yea unfortunately that is the case, but the extra regrowth from the Royal Family still regrows a Horror unit super quick. I have been running them in a big blob of 6 but I kind of want to go up to 9 to max the regeneration potential.  I know I will never get all 9 into combat with their base size but in theory it seems good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

Yea unfortunately that is the case, but the extra regrowth from the Royal Family still regrows a Horror unit super quick. I have been running them in a big blob of 6 but I kind of want to go up to 9 to max the regeneration potential.  I know I will never get all 9 into combat with their base size but in theory it seems good.

hmm.. seems legit.

so u drop a unit of 6 horrors, first turn (at the end of the movement phase) use 1 CP to summon those 2 varghulfs. next turn in your hero phase use both "To the King!" abilities, add 2 (Royal Family/Lords of the Manor) Horrors to the unit +n (eventually) slain models. If those "new" models get slain, u may re-summon those too.. lol.. with a little bit of luck your up to 10-12 (max unit size) in turn 3.. sounds funny ;)

 

try to combine it with the hard-hitting "Deadwatch"

 

Edited by Fluttershy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tea_wild_owl said:

you cannot grow units above starting size with any ability. you can only add slain models back to a unit, but you cannot add additional ones.

there are no starting size restrictions anymore

most abilities return slain models, some add models to the unit. if it's stated add, there is only the max unitsize restiction

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Fluttershy said:

there are no starting size restrictions anymore

most abilities return slain models, some add models to the unit. if it's stated add, there is only the max unitsize restiction

okay, but all courtiers are changed to return slain models only now, so they at least can't increase the unit size :/

so vargoukfs 'to the king' only returns slain models and can't add more units like written above

 

Edited by tea_wild_owl
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's bainstorm.. ;)

 

Allegiance: Flesh-Eater Courts

Delusion: Crusading Army

Mortal Realm: Hysh

 

Leaders:

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (440), General Trait: Magestic Horror

Abhorrant Ghoul King (140)

Abhorrant Ghoul King (140) - Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch

Crypt Infernal Courtier (140)

 

Units:

3 Crypt Flayers (160)

3 Crypt Flayers (160)

3 Crypt Flayers (160)

(Battlelines:)

10 Crypt Ghouls (100)

10 Crypt Ghouls (100)

10 Crypt Ghouls (100)

 

Warscroll Battalions:

Royal Family (150)

Deadwatch (170)

 

Endless Spells:

Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

 

Command Points: 2

Points: 2000/2000

+ 2 additional Artefacts of our choice

 

Turn1:

we start with 3 CP (from List 2 CP + 1 CP per turn)

in our Hero Phase we use the Crypt Infernal Courtier Ability, we roll 6 dice - at this stage there shouldn't be any losses, so there won't be slain models, wich could return - but we add +1 Crypt Flayer to one of our Crypt Flayers Unit (Royal Family Ability Lords of Manor)

at the end of our movement phase, we use 1 CP to summon 2 Varghulfs with the Ability from our AGKoZD; we roll a dice, 5+ receive 1 CP (Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch)

we have 2 or 3 CP left

we use 1 CP to summon 2 Ghoul Kings with the Ability from Royal Family; we roll a dice, 5+ receive 1 CP (Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch)

we have 1-3 CP left

we use 1 CP to summon 10 Crypt Ghuls from 1 (of our 4) GK; we roll a dice, 5+ receive 1 CP (Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch)

we end up with 0-3 CP

we repeat summoning Crypt Ghouls from our remaining 3 GK or wait till round 2 to capture Objectives..

Turn2:

we start with 1+ CP

in our Hero Phase we use the Crypt Infernal and Varghulf Abilities, return slain Crypt Flayers/Crypt Ghouls add up to 3 Crypt Flayers to our Unit (so we're hopefully up to a unit of 7 (3 staring size, +1 hero phase(1), +3 hero phase(2))

if we're already in combat use Deadwatch units to pile-in and attack

at the end of the movement phase summon Ghouls; roll a dice, 5+ receive 1 CP (Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch)

rinse and repeat..

 

we use up to 7 (!) units of Crypt Ghouls and the AGKoZD to score objectives and/or distract, use the Deathwatch Flayers to hit real hard with those "double" attacks (in hero phase) and their lovely mortal wounds

dunno if this works well.. but it sounds very very funny :P

thinking errors?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, tea_wild_owl said:

so vargoukfs 'to the king' only returns slain models and can't add more units like written above

combined with the warscroll battalion ability

Lords of the Manor: In the dominating presence of their royal masters, courtiers
of every rank call forth their minions in ever greater numbers. Each time a
COURTIER in your army uses an ability to call forth additional FLESH-EATER
COURTS models
, add one additional model to one eligible unit if the COURTIER is
within 10" of a Royal Family model when the ability is used.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey people!

I have a low point (1250) small scale tournament next week and I've wanted to swap my usual Sylvaneth army for a FEC one. I had a limited number of models to choose from and this is what I came up with:

 

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Delusion: Crusading Army

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King (140)
Crypt Infernal Courtier (140)
- General
- Trait: Dark Wizardry
- Artefact: The Grim Garland
Crypt Infernal Courtier (140)
Varghulf Courtier (160)

Battleline
6 x Crypt Flayers (320)
6 x Crypt Flayers (320)

Endless Spells
Quicksilver Swords (20)

or
Suffocating Gravetide (30)


Total: 1240 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 74

 

What are your thoughts?  Is this a viable list? What are your experiences with endless spells so far? Keep in mind that this is not a min-max meta list just a spur of the moment army I plan to fun around with a few times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fluttershy said:

Let's bainstorm.. ;)

 

Allegiance: Flesh-Eater Courts

Delusion: Crusading Army

Mortal Realm: Hysh

 

Leaders:

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (440), General Trait: Magestic Horror

Abhorrant Ghoul King (140)

Abhorrant Ghoul King (140) - Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch

Crypt Infernal Courtier (140)

 

Units:

3 Crypt Flayers (160)

3 Crypt Flayers (160)

3 Crypt Flayers (160)

(Battlelines:)

10 Crypt Ghouls (100)

10 Crypt Ghouls (100)

10 Crypt Ghouls (100)

 

Warscroll Battalions:

Royal Family (150)

Deadwatch (170)

 

Endless Spells:

Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

 

Command Points: 2

Points: 2000/2000

+ 2 additional Artefacts of our choice

 

Turn1:

we start with 3 CP (from List 2 CP + 1 CP per turn)

in our Hero Phase we use the Crypt Infernal Courtier Ability, we roll 6 dice - at this stage there shouldn't be any losses, so there won't be slain models, wich could return - but we add +1 Crypt Flayer to one of our Crypt Flayers Unit (Royal Family Ability Lords of Manor)

at the end of our movement phase, we use 1 CP to summon 2 Varghulfs with the Ability from our AGKoZD; we roll a dice, 5+ receive 1 CP (Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch)

we have 2 or 3 CP left

we use 1 CP to summon 2 Ghoul Kings with the Ability from Royal Family; we roll a dice, 5+ receive 1 CP (Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch)

we have 1-3 CP left

we use 1 CP to summon 10 Crypt Ghuls from 1 (of our 4) GK; we roll a dice, 5+ receive 1 CP (Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch)

we end up with 0-3 CP

we repeat summoning Crypt Ghouls from our remaining 3 GK or wait till round 2 to capture Objectives..

Turn2:

we start with 1+ CP

in our Hero Phase we use the Crypt Infernal and Varghulf Abilities, return slain Crypt Flayers/Crypt Ghouls add up to 3 Crypt Flayers to our Unit (so we're hopefully up to a unit of 7 (3 staring size, +1 hero phase(1), +3 hero phase(2))

if we're already in combat use Deadwatch units to pile-in and attack

at the end of the movement phase summon Ghouls; roll a dice, 5+ receive 1 CP (Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch)

rinse and repeat..

 

we use up to 7 (!) units of Crypt Ghouls and the AGKoZD to score objectives and/or distract, use the Deathwatch Flayers to hit real hard with those "double" attacks (in hero phase) and their lovely mortal wounds

dunno if this works well.. but it sounds very very funny :P

thinking errors?

Don’t know man. 320 points in battalions seem excessive. And summoning 10 ghouls just seems crappy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, romhi said:

What are your thoughts? 

I was going to say : in this list, you don’t need a king, take another infernal, but the king comes with internal ghouls, so...

 

that‘s quit a nasty list!

 

to consider/weak points

Might struggle against hordes f.e. Skelli horde or nurgle filth with only 6-7 big models, you’ll never claim an objective

your scream ends against bravery 7/8+(Stormcast/fyreslayers), with the garland mw on 5/6+, better than nothing, but depending on your opponents (demons, death, seraphon) might be just noise...

Heavy shooting on a large board will really mess you up. Played against kharadron once and they shot down my varghulf turn 1 (20 baseline dwarfs), got fast and hard retribution. Still, everybody 5+save

 

To end positive:

I really like the redundancy in your support, the list is very fast and Black Hunger buffed flayers really hit hard. The scewering strike got buffed to „showing a 6“ for mw 

i think it‘ll be fun. Not hardcore competitive, but fast and furious 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CanHammer-darren said:

Don’t know man. 320 points in battalions seem excessive. And summoning 10 ghouls just seems crappy. 

from a first look 320 points might seem expensive, but you'll get 2 CP (100), 2 artefacts (!!), the ability to deal additional damage with your Crypt Flayers in your hero phase (!!) and respawning 1-3 additional Crypt Flayer Models (~160 / 53,3 each) in your hero phase, looks like that's worth it, isn't it?

use the ghouls for objective capturing, blocking, distracting, that's all they're good for

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Fluttershy said:

from a first look 320 points might seem expensive, but you'll get 2 CP (100), 2 artefacts (!!), the ability to deal additional damage with your Crypt Flayers in your hero phase (!!) and respawning 1-3 additional Crypt Flayer Models (~160 / 53,3 each) in your hero phase, looks like that's worth it, isn't it?

use the ghouls for objective capturing, blocking, distracting, that's all they're good for

I don’t know, 3 flayers unit die very quickly and se don’t know if this “add” will be soon patched (I think it will)

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Fluttershy said:

Let's bainstorm.. ;)

Do not listen to naysayers and internet-trollz (probably seraphon playerz anyway) just play it...

*whisper* three flayers are not enough...12wounds 5+ melt like a snowball in hell 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Glaurung said:

I don’t know, 3 flayers unit die very quickly and se don’t know if this “add” will be soon patched (I think it will)

This is one of the main reasons I have never loved the Deadwatch battalion, the 3 unit requirement almost forces you to just run units of 3 and they die soooo easily. The other thing I found while running it is that it happening in the hero phase makes its use limited.  AOS is so killy that when you charge or get charged a unit tends to get deleted so units of 3 Horrors tend not to stick around until your next hero phase especially if you get double turned.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

This is one of the main reasons I have never loved the Deadwatch battalion,

Doing a nightshift building a list against nurgle tomorrow...

menagerie style:

gkotg, gkotg, gkozd, 3x10 ghouls with courtier and 3 horrors going for ghoul patrol 

ghouls grab objectives , starting with 3 cp summoning in 2x3 horrors with their varghulf and the big guys up through the middle tying the opponent down...

deadwatch:

infernal, varghulf, gkozd, 3x6 flayer(or 9/6/3), 10 ghouls and deadwatch... summon a second varghulf turn one and start the massacre, not sure how to objective, but fast and furious might win the day...or kill at least bosslike 

 

can‘t really make up my mind

maybe even a take on Kings ghouls...

gkozd, varghulf, horrors courtier, ghoul courtier, 6horrors, 30/30/10 ghouls and the battalion (pile in &attack in herophase for the ghouls)

ghouls Grab objectives and prepare to grind, varghulf probably as general with dark wizardry and the king with the horrors up the lane to strike into the festering heart of evil!!!

Edited by Honk
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Honk said:

Doing a nightshift building a list against nurgle tomorrow...

menagerie style:

gkotg, gkotg, gkozd, 3x10 ghouls with courtier and 3 horrors going for ghoul patrol 

ghouls grab objectives , starting with 3 cp summoning in 2x3 horrors with their varghulf and the big guys up through the middle tying the opponent down...

deadwatch:

infernal, varghulf, gkozd, 3x6 flayer(or 9/6/3), 10 ghouls and deadwatch... summon a second varghulf turn one and start the massacre, not sure how to objective, but fast and furious might win the day...or kill at least bosslike 

 

can‘t really make up my mind

Both lists look fun.  I think I would lean toward the monster mash one.  I always loved running the big monster centered lists and the new summoning leans in that direction (the more beasties we run the more free points we get). 

Good luck whichever you go with and let us know how it goes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah when I was running my royal family list I had the blob of 9 horrors and in one turn my opponent killed 6 and with double Varghulf plus family bonus I was back up to full strength. Running minimum sized 3 man units of horrors or flayers the units will get wiped too often before healing can kick in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Honk said:

deadwatch:

infernal, varghulf, gkozd, 3x6 flayer(or 9/6/3), 10 ghouls and deadwatch... summon a second varghulf turn one and start the massacre, not sure how to objective, but fast and furious might win the day...or kill at least bosslike 

❤️ deadwatch

hits like a truck, makes no friends, (and AoSv1 lacks at scoring objectives)

 

"new" AoSv2 deadwatch list might look like:

LEADERS

Crypt Infernal Courtier (140) – General - Command Trait : Magestic Horror

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (440)

Crypt Infernal Courtier (140)

Crypt Infernal Courtier (140)

UNITS

9 x Crypt Flayers (480)

6 x Crypt Flayers (320)

3 x Crypt Flayers (160)

 

BATTALIONS

Deadwatch (170)

 

TOTAL: 1990/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1

ARTEFACTS: 2

WOUNDS: 104

 

+ summoned varghulf

+ summoned 2x10 Ghouls (used with 3er Flayers for objective scoring, eventually with varghulf for respawning ghouls and flayers at objective ?)

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...